What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (2 Viewers)

is arob already a don't-bench-ur-stud level and is this an afterthought now? or is there any consideration to the qb when facing tough defenses, which i guess bortles hasn't been terrible.

is arob already a don't-bench-ur-stud level and is this an afterthought now? or is there any consideration to the qb when facing tough defenses, which i guess bortles hasn't been terrible.
I benched him for jarvis Landry because he was going up against Revis. Since that didn't pay off, you can draw your own conclusions.

Gus' clock management continues to baffle me.

You're down 5 points with 2:14 left with 1 timeout left. The Jets conservative coach will no doubt just try to run clock. Their running game hss done nothing. Kick it deep and you have

Run - timeout

Run - 2 min warning.

Run

punt with about 1:10 left.

(and hopefully you get the ball around your 40)

OK, s you unsuccessfully onside kick and the Jets have the ball, They run the ball and here are your choices

a) call timeout, Jets run second time, and 2 minute warning stops clock so it's 2:00 when 3rd down happens

b) let clock run, It's 2:00 when 2nd down starts, Jets run again, Jags take last timeout and it's 1:54 when 3rd down happens.

:bangshead:

The Luck news makes this past loss even more frustrating.
5-3 from here on out is not impossible. It might be with that coach, but it's not for those players. People see 2-6 Jax and think same ole story. This team can win now. Great young nucleus.

ETA: 7-9 wins the division IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
This team has so little pass rush that it won't allow them to win a bunch of games. Add in the fact that they are out coached often and find new and fun ways to shoot themselves in the foot, that's a recipe for 5-11.

Whats up with Julius Thomas? Is he ever going to be a fraction of what he was in Denver? I know he had a bad ankle, is it something that is going to hinder him forever? Did he just lose the fire to play after he signed his contract? Is he not meshing well with Bortles and the offense?

JAX is one of the best 2 win teams in the league. Probably should be closer to #20 than #30 in the Power Rankings.

Dump Gus, bring the right people in, add a strong draft a couple FAs - playoffs 2016. Dead serious. They don't know how to close out games. Losing mentality, tough to shake. Boatloads of talent.

Part of it is that he doesn't have the chemistry after missing so many games to start the year; Bortles has learned to lean on the Allens. He looks to be a bit heavy, although I have no idea how that affects him personally. He was really close to having a good day Sunday, but things didn't work out.

Actually, this is a pretty good read on JT: http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/11/10/9704588/film-room-is-julius-thomas-making-an-impact
Not a good look for him in one of the pics down in the comments here

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/11/9/9696384/jacksonville-jaguars-are-good-at-finding-ways-to-lose

Part of it is that he doesn't have the chemistry after missing so many games to start the year; Bortles has learned to lean on the Allens. He looks to be a bit heavy, although I have no idea how that affects him personally. He was really close to having a good day Sunday, but things didn't work out.

Actually, this is a pretty good read on JT: http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/11/10/9704588/film-room-is-julius-thomas-making-an-impact
Not a good look for him in one of the pics down in the comments here

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/11/9/9696384/jacksonville-jaguars-are-good-at-finding-ways-to-lose
Yeah, that's not a good look.

Not the best outing by Bortles. He was hurt by some drops but he made a few bad decisions and flat out a missed some throws too.

But hey, 3-6 and in the thick of it.

- BB was not good. He looked like rookie year Bortles. That obviously has to change. And on one play he was accompanied by last year Luke Joeckel, so there was a nice reunion going on there.

- I'd like to know why Dwayne Gratz starts over Demetrius McCray. Gratz is not very good and I thought McCray played well coming into this year.

- Again, not much Ryan Davis. Of course, Gus benched House a couple games ago, so who knows.

- I think Olsen had called good games for the most part, but yesterday's game plan baffled me. Why the short, horizontal routes. They did that in week one and I get why they did it then. But I don't get why it was done yesterday.

- The run defense has looked fantastic.

- Myers, what was that? That game winner saved his job. For now.

- Hurns ability to play hurt and make those catches despite taking the punishment he did is so impressive. I still find it hard to believe that he went undrafted. And that Marqise Lee was taken before Allen Robinson.

- Zane Beadles still starts. I wish they'd throw Shatley out there to see what he does.

- TJ Yeldon just grinds out yards when nothings's there.

- Walters has played well, despite the dropped TD.

- I say it aloud every week, but I love me some Telvin.

- BB was not good. He looked like rookie year Bortles. That obviously has to change. And on one play he was accompanied by last year Luke Joeckel, so there was a nice reunion going on there.

- I'd like to know why Dwayne Gratz starts over Demetrius McCray. Gratz is not very good and I thought McCray played well coming into this year.

- Again, not much Ryan Davis. Of course, Gus benched House a couple games ago, so who knows.

- I think Olsen had called good games for the most part, but yesterday's game plan baffled me. Why the short, horizontal routes. They did that in week one and I get why they did it then. But I don't get why it was done yesterday.

- Hurns ability to play hurt and make those catches despite taking the punishment he did is so impressive. I still find it hard to believe that he went undrafted. And that Marqise Lee was taken before Allen Robinson.

- Zane Beadles still starts. I wish they'd throw Shatley out there to see what he does.

:goodposting:

I can't help but wonder if these two were related.

-BB was not good. He looked like rookie year Bortles. That obviously has to change. And on one play he was accompanied by last year Luke Joeckel, so there was a nice reunion going on there.

I didn't get the play-calling down by the goal line. Pass, pass, run, give up and kick the FG

Jags' pass rush looked even less effective than normal yesterday. Don't know if that was Skuta's absence or what.

And Hurns has some kind of abdominal injury. And Walters has a concussion. And now Yeldon has a foot injury.

Whenever we win, the world balances it out.

:goodposting:

I can't help but wonder if these two were related.

-BB was not good. He looked like rookie year Bortles. That obviously has to change. And on one play he was accompanied by last year Luke Joeckel, so there was a nice reunion going on there.

I didn't get the play-calling down by the goal line. Pass, pass, run, give up and kick the FG

Jags' pass rush looked even less effective than normal yesterday. Don't know if that was Skuta's absence or what.
Oh, I forgot about that sequence. Just horrible and infuriating. Fade. Fade. Run.

Skuta does add alot to this defense, so maybe that was it. I'm so used to seeing the opposing QB have a large amount of time to throw.

I had no problem with them running on third down. But if you run on third down, you damn well better have a play call in mind to run on fourth.

I actually figured they would go pass run pass. but maybe they just out thunk themselves.

So we went from surgery for Allen Hurns to Hurns practicing today. Hurns says that he could have sports hernia surgery after season.

But Marks is going on IR.

[SIZE=11pt]Yeldon on the bike[/SIZE]

Surprised we aren't hearing more about how badly the refs botched the end of that game and cost Balt/gave Jax a win.

jurb26 said:
Surprised we aren't hearing more about how badly the refs botched the end of that game and cost Balt/gave Jax a win.
Huh? it's all over the place. I can't believe there are national writers who want the league to throw a flag for illegal procedure after the game is over. The league opens that can of worms and there's no going back.

Ravens had multiple opportunities to salt the game away and didn't.

I can't believe that nobody is talking about how come Dumervil isn't subject to a fine for making Bortles look like Linda Blair. Imagine the outrage if Dumervil yanked the helmet of a protected QB around like that.

jurb26 said:
Even if they stopped the game, I'm not sure what grounds for review the illegal procedure could be called

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2015-nfl-rulebook/#15-2-4

The snap was off before the clock struck zero and there were 11 men on the field. There were no ineligible/eligible receiver mixups. According to that list, that is about all they could review.

Might need to keep an eye on the weather for Thursday.

Front moving thru tonight and it's supposed to rain most of tomorrow.

They're calling for the rain to end before the game but there are models with strong cells passing thru after gametime.

Field shouldn't be an issue. An advanced drainage system was installed for the Super Bowl.

Might need to keep an eye on the weather for Thursday.

Front moving thru tonight and it's supposed to rain most of tomorrow.

They're calling for the rain to end before the game but there are models with strong cells passing thru after gametime.

Field shouldn't be an issue. An advanced drainage system was installed for the Super Bowl.
Thanks for the heads up. Have Bortles & ARob going.

Seems like the wind won't be a factor, and it'll be around 78-80 degrees. We'll see what happens but doesn't seem like a big deal at the moment.

jurb26 said:
Even if they stopped the game, I'm not sure what grounds for review the illegal procedure could be called

The snap was off before the clock struck zero and there were 11 men on the field. There were no ineligible/eligible receiver mixups. According to that list, that is about all they could review.
It was a false start and the penalty should have resulted in a 10 second runoff... game over.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000581718/article/nfl-officiating-error-cost-ravens-on-final-play-vs-jags

I've not seen this talked about hardly anywhere. I only saw this buried on the NFL.com site.

It's the 2nd time this year a game could be interpreted as the officials costing it due to bad calls/no calls/not understanding the rules, whatever. I guess I'm just surprised it hasn't gotten more traction.

jurb26 said:

It was a false start and the penalty should have resulted in a 10 second runoff... game over.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000581718/article/nfl-officiating-error-cost-ravens-on-final-play-vs-jags

I've not seen this talked about hardly anywhere. I only saw this buried on the NFL.com site.

It's the 2nd time this year a game could be interpreted as the officials costing it due to bad calls/no calls/not understanding the rules, whatever. I guess I'm just surprised it hasn't gotten more traction.
PFT has been all over it. Mike and Mike have tweeted about it. Ross Tucker brought it up this morning with Andrew Brandt.

The way I heard it was that Joeckel was still coming set and was fraction of second slow.

Either way, you're asking for a penalty flag to be thrown after the play was over. And that's not on the list of reviewable issues.

Do you really want to go down that revisionist history path?

jurb26 said:

It was a false start and the penalty should have resulted in a 10 second runoff... game over.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000581718/article/nfl-officiating-error-cost-ravens-on-final-play-vs-jags

PFT has been all over it. Mike and Mike have tweeted about it. Ross Tucker brought it up this morning with Andrew Brandt.

The way I heard it was that Joeckel was still coming set and was fraction of second slow.

Either way, you're asking for a penalty flag to be thrown after the play was over. And that's not on the list of reviewable issues.

I'm not asking for anything. I'm just pointing out its surprising that there isn't more noise on it. The issue has nothing to do with a flag being thrown after the play. It was a pre snap penalty... False start. Review has nothing to do with it.

From the link;

"The correct call in this case would have been to penalize the offense for a false start because all 11 players were not set, and whistle to stop the play. The ensuing 10-second runoff should have ended the game."

This is 2x now this year something like this has happened. It isn't about revisionist history. Do you not care about officials getting things right?

It was a false start and the penalty should have resulted in a 10 second runoff... game over.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000581718/article/nfl-officiating-error-cost-ravens-on-final-play-vs-jags

I'm not asking for anything. I'm just pointing out its surprising that there isn't more noise on it. The issue has nothing to do with a flag being thrown after the play. It was a pre snap penalty... False start. Review has nothing to do with it.

From the link;

"The correct call in this case would have been to penalize the offense for a false start because all 11 players were not set, and whistle to stop the play. The ensuing 10-second runoff should have ended the game."

This is 2x now this year something like this has happened. It isn't about revisionist history. Do you not care about officials getting things right?
I've heard about it a bunch. Sports radio has run with this.There's many missed calls per game; officiating isn't getting any better. But I'm not feeling particularly upset over this one. Maybe Baltimore's fan base is a better gauge for this.

Bold Gold night. Biggest game for the Jags in about 5 years. Breathing down the necks of the first place Texans & the Indianapolis Headless Horseman. Bortles emerging as the leagues best young gunslinger with great weapons. Mariota has been up & down, running game ineffective, just put their best defensive player on IR.

National showcase game for a rising young team. Jags are gonna get good quick. Jax in a blowout.

Joe B's morning email rates this a tough passing matchup. Titans just lost their best DB, and have given up 841 yards, 6 TDs & had 1 INT in the last 3 games. On the season they've given up the 21st most FF points to WRs, 11th most FF pts to QBs, 7th most to TEs. They've surrendered 5 TDs to TEs over the last 5 weeks.

Bortles is the QB6 in this weeks FBGs rankings. How is this a tough passing matchup? If you're going to pimp the Titans, give them credit for stopping the run, the strength of their D. Other than Orapko they have no playmakers.

Fat Julius should be a good sneaky start tonight. I don't think they can run effectively on the Titans. This game is on Blake. He came up small in a plus matchup v. the Ravens. He needs to have a big game for the Jags, and I think he will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe B's morning email rates this a tough passing matchup. Titans just lost their best DB, and have given up 841 yards, 6 TDs & had 1 INT in the last 3 games. On the season they've given up the 21st most FF points to WRs, 11th most FF pts to QBs, 7th most to TEs. They've surrendered 5 TDs to TEs over the last 5 weeks.

Bortles is the QB6 in this weeks FBGs rankings. How is this a tough passing matchup? If you're going to pimp the Titans, give them credit for stopping the run, the strength of their D. Other than Orapko they have no playmakers.

Fat Julius should be a good sneaky start tonight. I don't think they can run effectively on the Titans. This game is on Blake. He came up small in a plus matchup v. the Ravens. He needs to have a big game for the Jags, and I think he will.
Also Perrish Cox is playing but with a gimpy hamstring on a potentially wet field.

I also like the dimension that Rashad Greene gives them. The Tavon Austin-like quick dumpoff for the YAC.

Also Perrish Cox is playing but with a gimpy hamstring on a potentially wet field.

I also like the dimension that Rashad Greene gives them. The Tavon Austin-like quick dumpoff for the YAC.
Rain should taper off between 8 & 9, right? We should be OK weather wise, looks like light/no wind and decent temps (I know, 70 is jacket weather for Duval County but it's fine.)

Users who are viewing this thread