What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (1 Viewer)

In his press conference, Caldwell promised some changes.

Less than 2 hours later DC Babich is fired. We'll see what other coaching changes come up. Hopefully, the new DC will be hired from the outside.

JaxBill said:
In his press conference, Caldwell promised some changes.

Less than 2 hours later DC Babich is fired. We'll see what other coaching changes come up. Hopefully, the new DC will be hired from the outside.
Kind of surprised he fired Babich, even though I shouldn't be. Good move.

Bucs

“When you have eight wins, and three home wins, in two years, you’ve been patient enough,” Licht said.

Jags

"A lot of people say, ’12 wins in three years’ and ‘Gus Bradley, his record is 12-and-whatever-it-is.’ I don’t hold Gus responsible for the first two years.”

@ryanohalloran: Last team to coach three straight Senior Bowl were 49ers after 2005, 06 and 07 seasons. Coach Mike Nolan was fired mid-season 2008. #Jaguars

If there is any doubt about the future and location of the franchise, just wait until next week's State of the Franchise event.

Revised stadium club and practice facility plans are supposed to be released.

#Jaguars interviewing Lou Anarumo, who finished '15 as Dolphins' interim DC, today for defensive coordinator post.

— Ryan O'Halloran (@ryanohalloran) January 14, 2016
Not sure how enthused I am at either DC candidate so far. Of course it's not like they'll beat the down the door to work for a lame duck coach.

STL paper

With the St. Louis market currently vacant as a result of Tuesday’s relocation vote by NFL owners, would Khan be interested in bringing his Jaguars to the Gateway City?

“I don’t see that at all, OK?” Khan said firmly.

He spoke just before midnight Tuesday in the lobby of the Houston hotel, where just a few hours earlier NFL owners decided to spurn St. Louis and let the Rams move to Los Angeles.

Khan’s flirtation with St. Louis 5½ years ago came to an end when Rams owner Stan Kroenke exercised matching rights to purchase controlling interest in the team. But in his comments Tuesday, Khan sounded almost as if St. Louis was an old girlfriend and he was now happily married — to Jacksonville.

“For me, I think (St. Louis) was something that happened, and life changed, and you moved on,” Khan said of his ill-fated Rams bid. “For me, there was a time, there was a place. But you learn from history and you look forward. It wasn’t meant to be in St. Louis.”
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/jaguars-owner-not-interested-in-move-to-st-louis/article_12804175-9fe0-5685-ba00-fe3b71964129.html

I'm a Bears fan but I have been keeping an eye on the Jags. They are really starting to put together a good team, at least fantasy relevant. I'm not sure if Bortles is going to be the answer but he does know how to get his play makers the ball. Robinson, Hurns and Thomas are great and Yeldon has a chance to be great as well. Sure up that defense some more and with some good coaching you've got a winning season. I don't think it will be long.

The defensive coordinator "search" is a traveshamockery. They're bringing in people they have mo intents of signing so they can promote the DL coach from an incredibly bad defense to be the coordinator.

The expectation remains that defensive line coach Todd Wash will be promoted to the coordinator post before the Jaguars’ staff leaves for the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Monday. If hired, Wash would have to decide in consultation with Bradley on two issues: Who calls the plays, and who replaces Wash as defensive line coach?

On the surface, the Jaguars’ search might appear clumsy because Bradley had a head-start looking for a coordinator over teams who first had to hire a head coach. As of Tuesday afternoon, only Cleveland, San Francisco and Tennessee didn’t have their 2016 defensive coordinator in place

But to those inside the stadium, the search is going pretty much as planned. Bradley wanted to talk to multiple outside coaches (which he has), all the while keeping Wash atop his list.
http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2016-01-19/story/source-jaguars-interview-cowboys-assistant-defensive

Hopefully this is the last year of the Gus Bus. They needed a fresh set of eyes. They needed change. But Gus is pretty much married to this defense and isn't looking for somebody else to come in and change HIS defense. I'm sure his thinking is "If we add a LEO and a safety, then by golly this is going to work."

Also in that article, it says that Marrone is coming back. Which is probably good for the offensive line but also bad because it means nobody else wanted him.

The defensive coordinator "search" is a traveshamockery. They're bringing in people they have mo intents of signing so they can promote the DL coach from an incredibly bad defense to be the coordinator.

The expectation remains that defensive line coach Todd Wash will be promoted to the coordinator post before the Jaguars staff leaves for the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Monday. If hired, Wash would have to decide in consultation with Bradley on two issues: Who calls the plays, and who replaces Wash as defensive line coach?

On the surface, the Jaguars search might appear clumsy because Bradley had a head-start looking for a coordinator over teams who first had to hire a head coach. As of Tuesday afternoon, only Cleveland, San Francisco and Tennessee didnt have their 2016 defensive coordinator in place

But to those inside the stadium, the search is going pretty much as planned. Bradley wanted to talk to multiple outside coaches (which he has), all the while keeping Wash atop his list.
http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2016-01-19/story/source-jaguars-interview-cowboys-assistant-defensive

Hopefully this is the last year of the Gus Bus. They needed a fresh set of eyes. They needed change. But Gus is pretty much married to this defense and isn't looking for somebody else to come in and change HIS defense. I'm sure his thinking is "If we add a LEO and a safety, then by golly this is going to work."

Also in that article, it says that Marrone is coming back. Which is probably good for the offensive line but also bad because it means nobody else wanted him.
Yup, it was a sham. But I dont know who would come in for 1 year with a lame duck coach, honestly.Gus tries to fit players into his scheme. Good coaches alter their scheme to their players. I give him very slim odds to hang in to the job.

Really like where this Jags franchise is headed. Had this debate on another board about the Raiders trio of recent draft picks that netted us Mack-Carr-Cooper universally considered an unparalleled gold mine. But the Jags IMO have something that could rival that trio in Bortles-Robinson-Fowler. Now this assumes Fowler lives up to his draft stock and recovers from his injury. When you hit on draft picks like that, it's easy to get exited for the future.

Gus, rewarded for his 12-36 record, gets a 1 year extension. Entire coachign staff signed thru 2017.

On the bright side, at least they avoid the Pagano situation that Indy had last year. On the even brighter side, the 1 year add-on is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Last Friday, Shad Khan gave his annual state of the franchise address.

Some highlights

“This is a community that has supported this franchise faithfully and impressively for over two decades,” Khan said. “And we don’t want to just exist here, we want to flourish here.”

Emphasis on “here,” and not in another city.

“It bears repeating: We plan to be in Jacksonville,” Khan said to applause from city leaders and Jaguars employees in attendance.

The 32 NFL teams all receive an equal sum of money from the league via television rights fees and other revenue streams. But to keep up, the Jaguars continue to search for ways to increase their local revenue.

A major step was playing a regular season home game in London. In 2015, that represented 12.4 percent of the Jaguars’ local revenue, which was 26th in the league.

“We’ve turned the corner; the strategy is working,” Lamping said. “But don’t think for a moment we should start coasting. Now is the time to be more aggressive.”

“This is a small market, but a very strong NFL market,” Lamping said. “Our hope is that this generation of Jaguars fans begins to grow.”The Jaguars ranked 22nd in local television rating, up from 27th in 2013 and 24th in 2014.

On Dec. 8, the Jacksonville City Council approved a deal to split the cost of Khan’s $90 million proposal that will be completed later this year. This came two years after Khan agreed to put up $20 million for a renovation that included the world’s largest video-boards.

The project will decrease the number of club seats to 8,000 (from 11,000) and improve the amenities available to the fans in those sections. Outside the stadium, the Jaguars are building a three-level, 3,500-seat concert amphitheater and an indoor practice facility. The practice facility will not be completed by the start of the season in September. Khan hopes the concert facility draws major acts and he said pursuing the NFL Draft has been discussed.

Looking to the future, Lamping also showed a rendering of a pedestrian walk-way going over Bay Street from the stadium to Metropolitan Park, which is the site of possible development Khan cited.

“I think this is a great plan and the renderings maybe don’t quite do it justice,” Khan said. “It’s going to be spectacular. We want it to be a draw for Jacksonville and become an economic engine.”
http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2016-01-29/story/jaguars-say-theyve-turned-corner-state-franchise-meeting

RapSheet "reporting" what many have thought would happen - Browns C Alex Mack likely to opt out of contract that Jaguars wrote for him and Cleveland matched.

Coming to visit Jags again?

malik Jackson to Jaguars? from Denver writer Mike Klis

What are the chances the Broncos sign Malik Jackson?

--Daniel Elrod

Daniel—This is a tough one but I’m going to give the Broncos a 49 percent chance. The Broncos have made Jackson an offseason priority. They tabled, at least until the NFL Scouting Combine this week, contract negotiations with Von Miller and Osweiler.

The Broncos have only engaged in negotiations with Jackson.  Now for the flip side – the Broncos made Jackson their offseason bargaining priority because he’s going to be the most difficult to sign.

He will command anywhere from $11 million to $14 million a year in the open market. The Jacksonville Jaguars covet Jackson and they have an NFL-most $79.8 million in available cap space, according to the Overthecap.com.

That same website says the Broncos only have $8.16 million cap space, or the fifth least.

I said Osweiler would take $12 million from the Broncos before he would take $15 million from the Browns. I’m  not sure Jackson takes a $12 million  a  year deal from the Broncos  when he has $14 million  a year offers  from  Jacksonville, Jack   Del Rio’s Oakland Raiders or John Fox’s Chicago Bears.

Jackson might, but I don’t know.
http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/broncos-mailbag-who-the-broncos-should-prioritize-in-offseason/53016740

That's what happens when most of the players  you drafted 4 thru 6 years ago are out of football let alone worth extending.

Alex Mack, Bruce Irvin, Eric Weddle, Oliver Vernon, and Mario Williams have all been some popular names for free agency. Fellow Jags fans, who is on your wish list? 

Alex Mack, Bruce Irvin, Eric Weddle, Oliver Vernon, and Mario Williams have all been some popular names for free agency. Fellow Jags fans, who is on your wish list? 
Alex Mack - Yes, but worried that he uses the Jags as leverage to sign with a team closer to contention (please not Indy).

Bruce Irvin - Yes, and it sounds like it's quite likely

Olivier Vernon - Yes, but not sure if the Giants don't put together a package that's close and chooses the bigger market.

Weddle - Great player, huge fan, but he's in the twilight of his career.

Iloka - I'd like to see them take a run at him but he's goign to command top dollar.

Mario Williams - worried he'd be Hugh Douglas Part II and take the money and loaf.

Malik Jackson - Yes, but have a feeling he bolts to raiders.

Really what I'd like to see are 2 defenders added (Irvin +?) and an offensive lineman (Supposedly hot on KC G Jeff Allen), I wouldn't mind if one of the defenders was a corner like Janoris Jenkins.

Later in free agency, maybe they sign a  RB on the cheap to replace Toby.

Few questions for Jax fans from a guy who hasn't followed this team enough. Really would appreciate some opinions from a fan. 

Is Ryan Davis any good and why does Jaguars not play him more? He has made the most of the plays but he does not get enough snaps to be productive fantasy wise.

What does the future of Julius Thomas look like? The first year was not as good as they imagined, but was that just part of injury?

How did Yeldon do last year? I really don't like him, but I'm open to someone to prove me wrong? IMO he's just average and not worth the hype in fantasy community is giving him?

Can Bortles improve and take the leap to be "Elite" next year?

Few questions for Jax fans from a guy who hasn't followed this team enough. Really would appreciate some opinions from a fan. 

Is Ryan Davis any good and why does Jaguars not play him more? He has made the most of the plays but he does not get enough snaps to be productive fantasy wise.

What does the future of Julius Thomas look like? The first year was not as good as they imagined, but was that just part of injury?

How did Yeldon do last year? I really don't like him, but I'm open to someone to prove me wrong? IMO he's just average and not worth the hype in fantasy community is giving him?

Can Bortles improve and take the leap to be "Elite" next year?
Ryan Davis - A lot of Jaguars fans were asking the same questions. With Fowler coming back, and a likelihood they'll add somebody else to play LEO at least part-time, Davis probably still viewed as just a cheap rotation guy.

Julius Thomas - injury in that the injury kept him from being in shape. I look for him to bounce back but theproblem is that with those WR, he might be feast or famine depending on who the defense wants to double.

Yeldon - yeah, he's average. Not a dynamic back ,but he's solid, Still by far the best RB they have on the roster currently though.  Look for Toby to be cut once the Jags add another back. Be interesting to see if they add a "big" back or if they go for a pass-catching speed back.

Bortles - I hate the elite tag. If the Jags improve the o-line, the biggest thing I want to see him improve is decision making.Second year in the system, he needs to learn to throw it away more.  Too many sacks that were his doing and/or forced INT. If the defense improves, there's a possibility that he takes a step forward and sees his numbers go down.

One down, hopefully 2 more to go

Broncos' defensive end Malik Jackson about to join Jacksonville Jaguars https://t.co/uLNNoyM0k0 via @@9NEWS #9news #9sports

— Mike Klis (@MikeKlis)

March 8, 2016

The framework of the deal was negotiated late Monday night by Jackson’s agent Jack Scharf and Jacksonville executive John Idzik. The contract will become official as of Wednesday afternoon at 4pm EST when the new league calendar begins. It's a six-year deal, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

It's a 6-year deal for the #Jaguars and DT Malik Jackson. He'll sign when the league year opens tomorrow.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

March 8, 2016

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Jags not close to done after agreeing with Malik Jackson. Still interested in top pass rushers and corners. Very active

Essentially 3/45 deal for Jackson 
Basically you're telling me it's a balanced deal with the guaranteed money up front since that would leave ... 3/45 in the last 3 years.

That's the thing with the Jags. Since they're always under teh cap, they don't have to worry about a huge signing bonus to prorate the cap and tack on bogus years at the end. Unlike the bigger market teams, they want/need the cap hit right away for salary floor reasons.

ETA Case in point - Julius thomas contract last year (5/46 Mil 24 Mil guaranteed) only had 6 Mil in signing bonus.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/julius-thomas/

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically you're telling me it's a balanced deal with the guaranteed money up front since that would leave ... 3/45 in the last 3 years.

That's the thing with the Jags. Since they're always under teh cap, they don't have to worry about a huge signing bonus to prorate the cap and tack on bogus years at the end. Unlike the bigger market teams, they want/need the cap hit right away for salary floor reasons.

ETA Case in point - Julius thomas contract last year (5/46 Mil 24 Mil guaranteed) only had 6 Mil in signing bonus.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/julius-thomas/
Yep.  I just always look at the years it takes to get the guaranteed

Expectation for Malik to take Odrick's spot and put Fowler at LEO?

Users who are viewing this thread