Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test ***

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd just like to point out that it's January and we are still talking about Jaguars football and it doesn't even involve the draft.

Like nearly everyone else in America, I will be pulling for Jacksonville next week.  Get it done, gentlemen.

We Should All Be Rooting for America's Team, the Jacksonville Jaguars   "The Patriots are the British Empire and we are a colony of Bortleses firing our mostly inaccurate muskets in an attem

On a bright spot, Daryl Smith returns at LB today.Unfortunately Guy Whimper is in at RT.Oh and they're expecting 70,000+ at Everbank today which prompted this tweet

Jpwn'd ‏@JponApparently im just a Jags fan attending a Pats game today...jesus.

Jags look like they will finish 2012 in 20th place for attendance in spite an awful product on the field. College town? Terrible fan support? Blackouts? It is amusing how much of the media just repeats what they hear instead of actually doing research.

Impressive considering how bad the team is.

I know many fans are hoping that the Jags lose/Chiefs win Sunday, but I'd rather have the #2 overall pick. Not because I don't want the #1 pick, but this would give us the 1st pick in the second round. That can be a potentially rewarding pick that could net a substantive haul in return. It's something that this team needs and I feel it's an imperative step in re-rebuilding.

This is assuming that Gene Smith is no longer the GM, which in that case, I see the Jags either taking the player he's fallen in love with or giving up a king's ransom to move back into the first round.

Smith to be fired

The Jacksonville Jaguars will fire general manager Gene Smith, but the fate of coach Mike Mularkey could turn out to be in the hands of Cardinals director of player personnel Jason Licht or 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble who are the primary candidates for the team's general manager's job, according to sources.

The Jaguars would like to keep Mularkey, but no final decisions will be made until Jacksonville hires a new general manager to replace Smith.

Licht and Gamble each could lure attractive head coaching candidates to Jacksonville if they decided to make a coaching change.

Licht worked in New England with Penn State coach Bill O'Brien and in Philadelphia with Eagles coach Andy Reid, and he has a strong relationship with each coach.

Gamble has ties to 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman, a sought-after head coaching candidate.

Licht was a finalist for the Bears general manager job and Gamble will be one of the league's most sought-after general manager candidates this offseason, according to league sources.

Jacksonville has lost seven games by 16 points or more this season. Not even Jacksonville's inaugural team in 1995 -- a group comprised of mostly rookies and street free agents -- was overmatched as often. Coach Tom Coughlin's rag-tag bunch finished 4-12 back then, losing four games by at least 16 points. The 4-12 record had been the worst in franchise history.

Former owner Wayne Weaver convinced first-year owner Shad Khan to keep Smith last year, and Khan allowed Smith to lead the search for a new coaching staff. So Smith was the one who suggested Mularkey and was the driving force behind decisions to keep several assistants from the previous regime.

Jaguars twitter account makes the Gene Smith firing official.

Shahid Khan today announced that the team is parting ways with general manager Gene Smith. #JaguarsKhan will immediately begin search for new GM of the Jaguars. There is no timetable on naming a replacement. #JaguarsKhan: Now it is time for the Jacksonville Jaguars to begin a new chapter. We’re not looking back. I’ve made it clear from Day One ... ...One that we pledge nothing less than to deliver the first Super Bowl championship to Jacksonville. #JaguarsKhan: Our fans have been remarkably loyal over the years, n they were truly outstanding this past season.We simply must do better for r fans

Jaguars twitter account makes the Gene Smith firing official.

Shahid Khan today announced that the team is parting ways with general manager Gene Smith. #JaguarsKhan will immediately begin search for new GM of the Jaguars. There is no timetable on naming a replacement. #JaguarsKhan: Now it is time for the Jacksonville Jaguars to begin a new chapter. We’re not looking back. I’ve made it clear from Day One ... ...One that we pledge nothing less than to deliver the first Super Bowl championship to Jacksonville. #JaguarsKhan: Our fans have been remarkably loyal over the years, n they were truly outstanding this past season.We simply must do better for r fans

I'm glad he didn't waste any time.

Yahoo Sports Mike Silver (who is supposedly tight with Tony Khan) "predicting" that David Caldwell is Jaguars new GM.(He first tweeted that it would happen then backed off by saying it was only a strong prediction.)

1010xl is saying the report is premature and there is no deal in place.

Yahoo Sports Mike Silver (who is supposedly tight with Tony Khan) "predicting" that David Caldwell is Jaguars new GM.(He first tweeted that it would happen then backed off by saying it was only a strong prediction.)

1010xl is saying the report is premature and there is no deal in place.
Yeah, I get the feeling that somebody told him to shut up since the ink isn't dry yet.

Word is that the Caldwell hiring does not bode well for Mularkey since the Falcons wanted to can him as OC before the Jgas signed him to be HC.And then, there's this...

Pete Prisco ‏@PriscoCBSI was told one GM candidate told the Jaguars Tebow could be a camp fullback.

Word is that the Caldwell hiring does not bode well for Mularkey since the Falcons wanted to can him as OC before the Jgas signed him to be HC.And then, there's this...

Pete Prisco ‏@PriscoCBSI was told one GM candidate told the Jaguars Tebow could be a camp fullback.

Greg Roman seems to be the leading candidate if/when Mularkey is fired.

Do you think they keep Brat as OC or go in a different direction?Were Caldwell and Zimmer in Atlanta at the same time (Zimmer having worked with Brat and therefore a possible point of knowledge for Caldwell).Good luck with the new GM. Love that you got him over the Jets.-QG

Caldwell's a youngish hire and everything I have read or heard is positive. I like Mularkey a lot as an offensive minded coach. I'd love to see them can him and for my Raiders to pick him up as the new OC. Whoever they end up hiring to replace Mularkey is going to have to deal with the Tebow circus until/unless Khan either embraces fully his interest in Tebow and acquires him, or refutes any interest. Till then, it will be a dark cloud over the franchise and new head coach. It's #### or get off the pot time for Khan and he'd be doing the new coach a favor by addressing that issue publically prior to announcing the new coach. Right now, from local reports it looks like the fan base is 50-50 on Tebow, where last year it was resoundingly in favor of getting Tebow. It will be tough decision either way. They need to put the Tebow story or nonstory to rest already.

Seems like it's Greg Roman's job to lose.

Yes, but they can't interview him until next week at the earliest. Other names being bandied about are Brian Schottenheimer and Jay Gruden.Supposedly they are looking at a younger coach/coordinator for their HC to go with their young GM.Other rumor is that once Falcons season is over, Jags will bring in Polian's son Brian from ATL as personnel director.Fell kinda bad for Mularkey, nice guy, but I think it was the right decision.

Yes, but they can't interview him until next week at the earliest. Other names being bandied about are Brian Schottenheimer and Jay Gruden.Supposedly they are looking at a younger coach/coordinator for their HC to go with their young GM.Other rumor is that once Falcons season is over, Jags will bring in Polian's son Brian from ATL as personnel director.Fell kinda bad for Mularkey, nice guy, but I think it was the right decision.
Is that the same son that Irsay fired Bill for?

Yes.

They need to put the Tebow story or nonstory to rest already.I understand Jax fans' desire to know what is happening with Tebow, and JaxBill is right about comment on a player under contract. More importantly, though, it seems to me that they would want to hire a coach and OC first, THEN with their input decide whether Tebow is desirable? I think agreeing to a contract with Tebow before hiring a coach might greatly reduce the number of interested coaches and OCs.

Yes.
Huh. Not sure i see the point of that move.

Yes.
Huh. Not sure i see the point of that move.
Sorry it's Chris Polian, but yes, it's the one from Indy.

Polian has a long-time relationship with Caldwell, who came to Atlanta from Indianapolis in 2007.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828bffbe/article/atlanta-falcons-set-to-hire-former-colts-gm-chris-polian

A couple of things:1) I'm not too familiar with Mularkeys coaching resume, but part of me thinks maybe he deserved a chance to retain HC responsibilities. I mean, I don't know anyone that could polish that turd he was handed. One of the worst offenses in the NFL with a middle of the road defense. Things started looking better with Henne in there. Gabbert is just so horrible...he's a GM killer and now a coach killer.2) Am I the only one that wouldn't mind Tebow if we could get him for cheap/nothing? I envision him in an H-back type role. Move him around, let him run routes, let him throw on certain trick plays, and most of all...let him run! I could see him as being similar to Mike Alstott!

Best part is there was a subsequent interview with Khan where the reporter tried goading Khan with "I thought you were interested in bringing Tebow to town" and Khan responded with "I told my football people to look into it and my football people told me to go in another direction." :thumbup: Whatever controversial player you're talking about, that's what you want the owner to say.

It's super early but I love Caldwell for you guys so far.He wasn't afraid to bounce a guy he didn't believe in, and while Mularkey did only get one year in Jacksonville, Caldwell knows him well from their time in Atlanta. Not to mention that Koetter seemed by many (myself included) to be an ineffective play-caller in Jacksonville yet took the Falcons offense to a new level while Mularkey did next to nothing to improve Jacksonville's chances. Hearing Caldwell dismiss Tebow rumors, and then talk about Gabbert being someone they won't give up on, but acknowledging that he always viewed him as a long-term project when he scouted him is :thumbup:

I think Greg Roman is qualified although the whole college buddy thing makes me slightly uneasy. I'd be open to Brian Schottenheimer.Not sure I would want a special teams coordinator but apparently other teams are after him too. Everything I heard is that Mel Tucker was just to be nice and supposedly has no real shot.

I think Greg Roman is qualified although the whole college buddy thing makes me slightly uneasy. I'd be open to Brian Schottenheimer.Not sure I would want a special teams coordinator but apparently other teams are after him too. Everything I heard is that Mel Tucker was just to be nice and supposedly has no real shot.

I think Mel Tucker would make for an excellent head coach; just not here. A complete fresh start is needed. I really like what I've heard from Caldwell, so far. If he tabs Roman for the job, then I am all for it.I'd like to see Mike Zimmer get a shot.

Love the Gus Bradley hire but like the Chip Kelly hire yesterday, I think a lot comes down to the coordinator hirings. I think the hire is good news for Mincey who could be featured in Bradley’s hybrid defense and perhaps play the Chris Clemons role.

Very surprised that it wasn't Greg Roman after all. Dave Caldwell and Roman were very close and went back a long time. I'd heard that they were roommates in college. I wonder where that puts Roman now?

I think that Khan was worried about- If they don't hire Gus, and they wait for Roman next week, then Bradley can withdraw and suddenly Roman has all the leverage.- After every Jags loss (and there will be quite a few), you would hear the people complain "Too bad Caldwell didn't have better college roommates".- It could be tough to fire your friend.

While I'm elated that they finally booted Gene Smith and hired some young blood in Caldwell, I'm reserved about the Bradley hiring. We needed an offensive minded coach in here to jump start the woeful offense. The defense wasn't half bad. I would have preferred Arians. Who in the heck is gonna call the offense now? It was only one of, if not, THE WORST offenses in the NFL. I hear Bradley is an up and comer, but he better hit it out of the park with the OC. And I don't see any OC's left that would motivate me. Other than Arians and why would he leave Luck unless it were to be the HC in Arizona? My cup is still half full until the draft and free agency. Better not blow that 2nd pick!

While I'm elated that they finally booted Gene Smith and hired some young blood in Caldwell, I'm reserved about the Bradley hiring. We needed an offensive minded coach in here to jump start the woeful offense. The defense wasn't half bad. I would have preferred Arians. Who in the heck is gonna call the offense now? It was only one of, if not, THE WORST offenses in the NFL. I hear Bradley is an up and comer, but he better hit it out of the park with the OC. And I don't see any OC's left that would motivate me. Other than Arians and why would he leave Luck unless it were to be the HC in Arizona?

My cup is still half full until the draft and free agency. Better not blow that 2nd pick!

Offense:

Scoring - 30th

Yards - 29th

Defense:

Scoring - 29th

Yards - 30th

While I'm elated that they finally booted Gene Smith and hired some young blood in Caldwell, I'm reserved about the Bradley hiring. We needed an offensive minded coach in here to jump start the woeful offense. The defense wasn't half bad. I would have preferred Arians. Who in the heck is gonna call the offense now? It was only one of, if not, THE WORST offenses in the NFL. I hear Bradley is an up and comer, but he better hit it out of the park with the OC. And I don't see any OC's left that would motivate me. Other than Arians and why would he leave Luck unless it were to be the HC in Arizona? My cup is still half full until the draft and free agency. Better not blow that 2nd pick!

Schefter just tweeted that the Jags have asked permission to interview Pete Carmichael Jr form new Orleans but Saints want to re-sign him.