Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test ***

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd just like to point out that it's January and we are still talking about Jaguars football and it doesn't even involve the draft.

Like nearly everyone else in America, I will be pulling for Jacksonville next week.  Get it done, gentlemen.

We Should All Be Rooting for America's Team, the Jacksonville Jaguars   "The Patriots are the British Empire and we are a colony of Bortleses firing our mostly inaccurate muskets in an attem

While I'm elated that they finally booted Gene Smith and hired some young blood in Caldwell, I'm reserved about the Bradley hiring. We needed an offensive minded coach in here to jump start the woeful offense. The defense wasn't half bad. I would have preferred Arians. Who in the heck is gonna call the offense now? It was only one of, if not, THE WORST offenses in the NFL. I hear Bradley is an up and comer, but he better hit it out of the park with the OC. And I don't see any OC's left that would motivate me. Other than Arians and why would he leave Luck unless it were to be the HC in Arizona? My cup is still half full until the draft and free agency. Better not blow that 2nd pick!

Schefter just tweeted that the Jags have asked permission to interview Pete Carmichael Jr form new Orleans but Saints want to re-sign him.
I read somewhere that Carl Smith might come with Bradley. Good god I hope not. We've been down that road already. I'm hoping it's just another rumor.

While I'm elated that they finally booted Gene Smith and hired some young blood in Caldwell, I'm reserved about the Bradley hiring. We needed an offensive minded coach in here to jump start the woeful offense. The defense wasn't half bad. I would have preferred Arians. Who in the heck is gonna call the offense now? It was only one of, if not, THE WORST offenses in the NFL. I hear Bradley is an up and comer, but he better hit it out of the park with the OC. And I don't see any OC's left that would motivate me. Other than Arians and why would he leave Luck unless it were to be the HC in Arizona?

My cup is still half full until the draft and free agency. Better not blow that 2nd pick!

Offense:

Scoring - 30th

Yards - 29th

Defense:

Scoring - 29th

Yards - 30th

LOL! Perhaps I was thinking of years past? Seems like it was someone in this thread that was saying how "good" their defense was.

Hopefully they bring in a young OC and get Henne going in a vertical offense. :thumbup:

It's super early but I love Caldwell for you guys so far.

He wasn't afraid to bounce a guy he didn't believe in, and while Mularkey did only get one year in Jacksonville, Caldwell knows him well from their time in Atlanta. Not to mention that Koetter seemed by many (myself included) to be an ineffective play-caller in Jacksonville yet took the Falcons offense to a new level while Mularkey did next to nothing to improve Jacksonville's chances.

Hearing Caldwell dismiss Tebow rumors, and then talk about Gabbert being someone they won't give up on, but acknowledging that he always viewed him as a long-term project when he scouted him is :thumbup:

Disagree with this, but it's just my personal opinion that Gabbert will never be a solid NFL QB unless he has multiple great weapons around him to make him look better. The Sooner the Jags realize this, the better it will be. That being said, this year's rookie QB class is not a good one either IMO so they can ride another year out with Henne/Gabbert or look to trade/sign for another QB.

Looks like Ray Horton has a problem with Being passed over for Bruce Arians. Would love to see him come over as our DC.

I agree, but I suspect Bradley is going to want to be hands on with the defense and I doubt Horton wants to go anywhere that he is not in control of the defense.
  • 3 weeks later...

Jaguars' brass to take stage Submitted by Ryan O'Halloran on February 5, 2013 - 10:08am Ryan O'Halloran's BlogThe Jaguars’ third press conference event of the off-season later today will be the first that doesn’t include a major hire.Owner Shad Khan and president Mark Lamping are hosting a media-only event at the West Touchdown Club to, as the team said in a release, “present a comprehensive update and share plans for the organization heading into the 2013 season.”Here’s what I know it will include and some guesses as to what it might include.*A new logo. Teams are allowed to roll out new logos on their own clock but a new uniform design will not be until April because the NFL is in charge of that.*London update. Khan said last week the game against San Francisco in late October is sold out, but tickets remain available to Jaguars season ticket holders and there are no doubt travel packages still available.*Season ticket plan. The standard 10-game season ticket plan (two preseason games/eight regular season games) won’t apply to Jaguars fans for the next four years. This will include a 2013 price guide.*Marketing slogan. Last year, it was Khan’s “All In” slogan.*Business stuff. The Jaguars had a very good year off the field and this will be a chance for Khan and Lamping to express optimism about that progress.

new logo more modern but still looks kinda cartoonish to me.http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/2/5/3955200/jaguars-new-logo-2013-release/in/3718297I like the military badge though.80% of Jags ticket prices to remain flat. 1700 additional tickets made available for $35 season tickets.Jags pressing for larger video boards to replace the small outdated ones.

new logo more modern but still looks kinda cartoonish to me.http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/2/5/3955200/jaguars-new-logo-2013-release/in/3718297I like the military badge though.80% of Jags ticket prices to remain flat. 1700 additional tickets made available for $35 season tickets.Jags pressing for larger video boards to replace the small outdated ones.

Logo has a Thundercats feel to it. Whatever, it is just a logo.

I like the military badge though.80% of Jags ticket prices to remain flat. 1700 additional tickets made available for $35 season tickets.Jags pressing for larger video boards to replace the small outdated ones.

They need expand their revenue which is around the bottom of the league, even though ticket sales they are still a top 20 team. It's just that the ticket prices have been rock bottom compared to other teams. They need to fan base to step up and buy their new logo's on all the new merchandise they are selling. It was a smart move to include a military looking patch as Jacksonville is a Naval city and there's always a ton of support thrown their way. Also, you notice at the unveiling of the logo, every Jags executive from owner down to coach was there. Very up front, out in the open. Not at all like Gene Smith who never made face time with the public. A new era in Jacksonville.

I like the military badge though.

80% of Jags ticket prices to remain flat. 1700 additional tickets made available for $35 season tickets.

Jags pressing for larger video boards to replace the small outdated ones.

They need expand their revenue which is around the bottom of the league, even though ticket sales they are still a top 20 team. It's just that the ticket prices have been rock bottom compared to other teams. They need to fan base to step up and buy their new logo's on all the new merchandise they are selling. It was a smart move to include a military looking patch as Jacksonville is a Naval city and there's always a ton of support thrown their way.

Also, you notice at the unveiling of the logo, every Jags executive from owner down to coach was there. Very up front, out in the open. Not at all like Gene Smith who never made face time with the public. A new era in Jacksonville.

And at the major press conferences, not only are the top execs there, they're all in suit and tie (usually matching Jags colors)

Jags going to zone blocking scheme

Offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch plans to install the zone blocking scheme that was popularized by Alex Gibbs when he was the Denver offensive line coach under Shanahan. Fisch learned it when he worked for the Broncos for a year.The scheme originally featured smaller, quicker linemen, but Fisch said bigger linemen can adjust to it and he believes the Jaguars’ personnel can make the transition to it.It’s been somewhat controversial over the years because of the cut blocks and chop blocks, which are now illegal.“The rules have made it harder to do it as often,’’ Fisch said. “They’re going to call more chop blocks. They’re going to call more penalties if you’re not a disciplined team doing it. If you’re doing it legally, then that’s fine. And you can’t practice it. That’s a big issue because you never want to do it to your own players.’’Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2013-02-06/story/jaguars-gm-planning-build-his-team-through-draft#ixzz2KEuQlJND

I've read a lot of complaints about the new logo and how some fans hate it. When I first saw the new logo on its own, I also thought to myself that we've gone to a female cat but didn't hate it. But when I had a chance to look at the old logo and the new logo next to each other, there is no doubt in my mind that the new logo is better and puts the old logo to shame. When put next to each other, I can't see how anyone would prefer the old logo to the new one. It makes me excited to see what the new uniforms will look like.All this talk of logos and uniforms will mean nothing once the team starts to win consistently again.

Thought you guys might be interested in this...I took a look at QB performance over the years using Net Yards/Attempt. That's (passing yards - sack yards lost) / (attempts + sacks).Without going into the details on why, Chase Stuart has said NY/A is the best predictor of QB performance looking forward. And that dovetails with the research I've done as well.Anyhow... two items related to Gabbert...First, there are only a handful of QBs in the last fifteen years who were 21 years old their rookie years and started. And none of them were even average NFL QBs that year:Josh Freeman (92%)Matt Stafford (84%)Blaine Gabbert (69%)Alex Smith (60%)Second, Gabbert improved a ton from his first to second year:2012 Gabbert (84%)2011 Gabbert (69%)The numbers in parentheses are Net Yards per Attempt, adjusted for the quality of defense each pass attempt came against, and indexed to the league average.So a QB having an average season and facing an average defensive schedule would have an index rating of 100%. 84% is still bad, but it's not hopeless. Eli Manning put up a 78% at age 23 and Brees had an 89% at the same age for example.And there are a lot of examples of QBs who started badly, but improved with experience and were average or good at 25 and 26 and then good or great in their primes -- which is typically 27-31.Eli Manning 23: 78.2%24: 102.0%25: 92.9%26: 94.1%27: 103.5%28: 117.1%29: 109.4%30: 119.6%31: 106.1%Drew Brees22: 94.2%23: 89.0%24: 111.6%25: 108.4%26: 122.5%27: 107.9%28: 123.2%29: 126.7%30: 105.8%31: 118.0%32: 111.3%Donovan McNabb22: 53.0%23: 88.0%24: 94.6%25: 95.1%26: 100.3%27: 121.3%28: 106.6%29: 120.0%30: 100.0%31: 105.4%32: 112.3%33: 100.3%So IMO your new GM has hit the nail on the head in terms of sticking with Gabbert and getting him more experience. A lot of QBs are still in a developmental stage until 24 or 25 and Gabbert seemed like an obvious project when he entered the league. It's also worth saying that Gabbert hits a lot of the marks for a successful NFL QB prospect and very few guys with his profile completely flame out. Even Alex Smith, who is undersized, has managed to be an averageish QB so far in his prime years:Alex Smith21: 59.6%22: 95.0%23: 61.2%25: 88.6%26: 100.9%27: 97.2%28: 106.1%I'd expect Gabbert to improve some over the next couple years, but still be a below average NFL QB. But then from 25-27 that he'll improve into an average and then above average NFL QB. And if I had to guess, I think Eli Manning or Donovan McNabb are probably his best comparables. Decent to good QBs who'll have a couple excellent years and are good enough to win in the playoffs if the team around him is solid.The downside is that 25-27 is still 3-5 years away. But given how hard it is to find even an average NFL QB, so the best play may be to get him as much experience as possible and see how things go.

Edited by wdcrob

Thought you guys might be interested in this...I took a look at QB performance over the years using Net Yards/Attempt. That's (passing yards - sack yards lost) / (attempts + sacks).Without going into the details on why, Chase Stuart has said NY/A is the best predictor of QB performance looking forward. And that dovetails with the research I've done as well.Anyhow... two items related to Gabbert...First, there are only a handful of QBs in the last fifteen years who were 21 years old their rookie years and started. And none of them were even average NFL QBs that year:Josh Freeman (92%)Matt Stafford (84%)Blaine Gabbert (69%)Alex Smith (60%)Second, Gabbert improved a ton from his first to second year:2012 Gabbert (84%)2011 Gabbert (69%)The numbers in parentheses are Net Yards per Attempt, adjusted for the quality of defense each pass attempt came against, and indexed to the league average.So a QB having an average season and facing an average defensive schedule would have an index rating of 100%. 84% is still bad, but it's not hopeless. Eli Manning put up a 78% at age 23 and Brees had an 89% at the same age for example.And there are a lot of examples of QBs who started badly, but improved with experience and were average or good at 25 and 26 and then good or great in their primes -- which is typically 27-31.Eli Manning 23: 78.2%24: 102.0%25: 92.9%26: 94.1%27: 103.5%28: 117.1%29: 109.4%30: 119.6%31: 106.1%Drew Brees22: 94.2%23: 89.0%24: 111.6%25: 108.4%26: 122.5%27: 107.9%28: 123.2%29: 126.7%30: 105.8%31: 118.0%32: 111.3%Donovan McNabb22: 53.0%23: 88.0%24: 94.6%25: 95.1%26: 100.3%27: 121.3%28: 106.6%29: 120.0%30: 100.0%31: 105.4%32: 112.3%33: 100.3%So IMO your new GM has hit the nail on the head in terms of sticking with Gabbert and getting him more experience. A lot of QBs are still in a developmental stage until 24 or 25 and Gabbert seemed like an obvious project when he entered the league. It's also worth saying that Gabbert hits a lot of the marks for a successful NFL QB prospect and very few guys with his profile completely flame out. Even Alex Smith, who is undersized, has managed to be an averageish QB so far in his prime years:Alex Smith21: 59.6%22: 95.0%23: 61.2%25: 88.6%26: 100.9%27: 97.2%28: 106.1%I'd expect Gabbert to improve some over the next couple years, but still be a below average NFL QB. But then from 25-27 that he'll improve into an average and then above average NFL QB. And if I had to guess, I think Eli Manning or Donovan McNabb are probably his best comparables. Decent to good QBs who'll have a couple excellent years and are good enough to win in the playoffs if the team around him is solid.The downside is that 25-27 is still 3-5 years away. But given how hard it is to find even an average NFL QB, so the best play may be to get him as much experience as possible and see how things go.

LOL! Are you bring serious? Have you watched any of his game tape from college? The last two years? You can't look down the field and make a play when you are curled up in the fetal position on the turf. He was not a good QB in college and he's not one now nor will he ever be. He is NOT a football player! You can throw around stats and what ifs all you want. He's not a leader. Scared of contact. Do you wanna sit and wait for a couple/few more years while he maybe develops into an average QB? Not me. I'd rather take a chance and find the next Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson. Gabbert was a wasted draft pick by the ignorant Gene Smith. Time to cut the cord and chalk it up as a loss.

LOL! Are you bring serious? Have you watched any of his game tape from college? The last two years? You can't look down the field and make a play when you are curled up in the fetal position on the turf. He was not a good QB in college and he's not one now nor will he ever be. He is NOT a football player! You can throw around stats and what ifs all you want. He's not a leader. Scared of contact. Do you wanna sit and wait for a couple/few more years while he maybe develops into an average QB? Not me. I'd rather take a chance and find the next Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson. Gabbert was a wasted draft pick by the ignorant Gene Smith. Time to cut the cord and chalk it up as a loss.

:blackdot:
  • 4 weeks later...

Do the Jags take Geno Smith? :ph34r:

I have a feeling in the darkest abyss of my bowels that they will take Geno. New head coach/GM...they want "their guy".

Could just be gas I suspect. Or I need to see a Dr.

And how will this zone blocking scheme affect MJD?

Mathis, Landry, and Ross all cut in the last few days. It's good to see that this team is committed to a full scale rebuild.

Cox is hitting free agency as well. The Jags would like him back but not at the payday he's looking for. Very talented if he could only stay healthy.Pot Roast is not expected back either.Last reports were that talks with Meester were still ongoing.Jags are not supposed to be very active in free agency... maybe a value signing here or there later after the smoke clears.Jags were supposedly at the Arizona workout for QB Matt Scott.They are expected to be very active in the college UDFA market this year. The expansion team comparisons from last year could still be true this coming year. Prisco tweets that he wouldn't be surprised if they had 25 rookies on team next year.

Mathis, Landry, and Ross all cut in the last few days. It's good to see that this team is committed to a full scale rebuild.

They are expected to be very active in the college UDFA market this year. The expansion team comparisons from last year could still be true this coming year. Prisco tweets that he wouldn't be surprised if they had 25 rookies on team next year.
Yeah, it's going to get worse before it gets better. I like that Caldwell isn't keeping mediocre guys around to try and win an extra game (or one game for that matter) next year. This team is going to be epically bad for the next year. In the long run, that's a good thing IMO.

Laurent Robinson was just waived.Caldwell is not ####### around.

Jaguars waive Laurent Robinson Submitted by Ryan O'Halloran on March 13, 2013 - 11:11am Ryan O'Halloran's BlogThe Jaguars have yet to sign a free agent, but they continued to trim their roster Wednesday by waiving receiver Laurent Robinson.Robinson signed a five-year, $32.5 million contract ($13.5 million guaranteed) last off-season but was limited to 24 catches and no touchdowns because of four concussions.Robinson was placed on injured reserve in late November.The move carries an estimated “dead money” hit of $9 million. Part of Robinson’s salary cap hits for the next four years were annual $1.6 million signing bonuses.The Jaguars cleared Robinson physically earlier this off-season so the roster move was a straight release and did not include an injury settlement.

Have you guys signed anyone yet? Swimming in cap room & new regime. I honestly may have missed it, what's the Jags plan?

The plan is to fully rebuild. They are ridding themselves of undesirable contracts for mediocre players. They are taking their lumps now and committing to the future. They'll sign some lower tiered FA's later on to fill holes and build through the draft. This approach is necessary, as the team in its current state is absolutely awful.

Have you guys signed anyone yet? Swimming in cap room & new regime. I honestly may have missed it, what's the Jags plan?

The plan is to fully rebuild. They are ridding themselves of undesirable contracts for mediocre players. They are taking their lumps now and committing to the future. They'll sign some lower tiered FA's later on to fill holes and build through the draft. This approach is necessary, as the team in its current state is absolutely awful.
ok, then so you are like us. Except flush with money and caproom. :coffee:

Why jump his s*** like that? Those were some interesting numbers he crunched. Although I wonder how David Carr's numbers would look in that format. Either way, it was an interesting post that should at least spur some thought. I don't think I agree with him that often, but I do like a well thought out contrarian viewpoint.

Why jump his s*** like that? Those were some interesting numbers he crunched. Although I wonder how David Carr's numbers would look in that format. Either way, it was an interesting post that should at least spur some thought. I don't think I agree with him that often, but I do like a well thought out contrarian viewpoint.
He's entitled to his opinion. But number crunching doesn't work or Green Bay or Dallas or SF would win the Super Bowl every year. If you would actually watch GAMES of the kid (Gabbert) in college and/or NFL, he's horrible. Totally lost out there. Scared to death to take a hit, doesn't know when to throw the ball...just flat out doesn't know what he is doing. We're 2 years in now and we've seen zero results on the field. Henne steps in and goes on some monstrous tears with the same "talent" around him and remember...people were saying Henne is bad! Gabbert is embarrassingly bad.If Gabbert wins the starting gig and wins 5 games...I'll buy a Gabbert jersey and post a pic of me wearing it in this thread.Like I said, if you wanna wait around a few more years before Gabbert finally gets it (if at all), you'll be left in the dust by then. The NFL is a win now league. Gene Smith put this team in a hole.