Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Best Coffee

Random observation -- did 10 days in Mexico and the coffee at the resort every morning was amazing. It struck me on day one, then I got used to it and I never got around to asking what it was. Rich & flavorful, yet balanced and easy to drink. Basically the perfect coffee. I may give them a call and ask what it was.

24 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Question maybe someone here can help. I've been using a Keurig for awhile. It's convenient but I've had better coffee and it's a horrendous waste of plastic. So who can recommend to me an alternative? I want better coffee and less waste, but speed and convenience is still important. 

Thank you 

Get the fillable cups. That's what I do.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:02 PM, Ilov80s said:

Question maybe someone here can help. I've been using a Keurig for awhile. It's convenient but I've had better coffee and it's a horrendous waste of plastic. So who can recommend to me an alternative? I want better coffee and less waste, but speed and convenience is still important. 

Thank you 

Cold brew maker at Target is like $20.  It's the best desision you will ever make if you like iced coffee.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2015 at 2:20 AM, Chaos Commish said:

Also awhile ago I was reading about this gal who won a major coffee making competition. She used expensive beans from a roaster in Chicago called Intelligentsia. The beans were grown at high altitude in Bolivia. Her method. She put a measured amount of just ground beans into a glass beaker. Using an electric kettle she heated RO and charcoal filtered LA tap water to 205 degrees. She poured a measured amount into the beaker and gave it a stir. At four minutes she skimmed the foam from the top. At about five minutes she poured it through a paper filter and served it. That's it. World champion cup of coffee, so simple.

On 10/11/2015 at 1:08 PM, Northern Voice said:

This is not surprising, it's more about the beans than anything else. Disclaimer: I work for a coffee company.

A year + later the discussion is still about devices and brewing methods. Regardless of method if you brew bad beans, you'll get bad coffee. If you brew mediocre beans you should get mediocre coffee. If you brew great beans you'll probably get great coffee. This list is a great place to start.

I roast my beans, currently getting through a few pounds of Ethiopia Hambela Alaka. 96 pointer from a better roaster than me, but I get a great cup despite myself. 

Best I've had in the past year that wasn't stupid expensive is Dragonfly's Pacamara.

I still love Blue Bottle's Three Africans, but  they went from light to medium roast, a downgrade for me. 

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, Ilov80s said:

Thank you 

Here are the home brewing devices certified by the Specialty Coffee Association of America.  I've had the Technivorm and currently own the Bonavista.  Both do an excellent job, equivalent to my home pour over technique, but with less fussiness.  It's still more fuss than a Keurig though, because I still weigh the beans and grind them fresh in a burr grinder. 

At this time, current SCAA Certified Home Brewers are:

• Technivorm Moccamaster
  • Behmor Connected Brewer or Behmor Connected Coffee Brew System
  • KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802
  • KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer (model KCM0801OB)
  • Bonavita Coffee Maker (model BV1900TS)
  • Bonavita BV1900TD 8-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer
  • OXO On 9-Cup Coffee Maker
  • OXO On 12-Cup Coffee Maker
  • Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker
  • BUNN 10-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
  • Behmor Brazen Connected 8 Cup Coffee Maker
  • Cuisinart PurePrecision™ Pour Over Coffee Brewer

Past SCAA Certified Home Brewers are:

• Lance Larkin BE 112 Brew Express
  • Bonavita 8 Cup Exceptional Brew Coffee Maker with glass or thermal carafe
    (BV1800 and 1800SS)
  • Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup Coffee Brewer

I think I disagree with Chaos Commish completely.  Better beans only make better coffee when made correctly.  Very expensive beans can taste pretty average (or even bad) when over or under extracted.  I think it's perfectly appropriate to start buying better and more interesting beans once you're confident you're making good coffee, but if you're often extracting bitter coffee, figure out your method and get consistent before you start paying the prices for truly exceptional beans. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I think I disagree with Chaos Commish completely.  Better beans only make better coffee when made correctly.  Very expensive beans can taste pretty average (or even bad) when over or under extracted.  I think it's perfectly appropriate to start buying better and more interesting beans once you're confident you're making good coffee, but if you're often extracting bitter coffee, figure out your method and get consistent before you start paying the prices for truly exceptional beans. 

This is why I've gone cold brew.  The only real questions are grind size and time you let it brew.  After that it's pretty hard to #### up.  If you're going to grind at home, you so need a burr grinder...a step I haven't committed to yet.   

11 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Anyone ever hear of this?  Or do this?

Eater - Why you should crack an egg in your coffee grounds.

They used to do this for the church meals etc in the small town where I grew up. (Not Minnesota). My sisters and I were just talking about this and I plan to try it out. I do believe it makes a difference, and they do it in Europe IIRC.

Stayed at a friends in Chicago last week and had a great cup of coffee in the morning..his wife had all the high end gear so I was wondering what kind it was.

After my second cup I commented on how great the coffee was and thought she ground her own Turkish beans...she said "Did not have much time so I used "Folgers Black Silk" that I bought at Target. That is my go to when I am rushed" :shrug:     Seeing all her equipment and expresso machine might have fooled my taste buds but it was dam good.

Edited by Da Guru

Since the wife insisted on ditching our coffee pot for a Keurig, I've struggled to find a brew flavorfull enough to fill my travel mug.

Found the reusable filters and made the youtube flavor saver mod from a used K-cup (if you use reusable filters you need to do this).

Tried a bunch of dark coffees from the store with mixed results. Seemed the ones that had enough flavor were very acidic.

I was given a pound of Brazilian coffee

3 corações

which I think means "three ####" in Portuguese.  Fills my large travel mug with really rich flavor without the acid. I highly recommend.

eta ... can't say "testies" on FBG? Sheesh. I was trying to keep it professional.

Edited by Bossman

3 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Well it's simple to get confident in making good coffee. That's a given, so it's about the beans. If someone gets one the approved brewers you listed and can follow basic instructions, he/she will be extracting beans correctly immediately. The quality (even greatness) of the coffee is now dependent on the beans. If someone opts for a pour over device (I use a Kalita Wave daily), the same applies with a small learning curve. If you haven't dialed it in in a half dozen brews, you're a dope. The same goes for press pots and the aero and etc. Properly extracting beans is simple. I'm pretty sure it was you who turned me onto Vigilante's beans, and they have put out some awesomeness in the past year. If we're still learning to make coffee after six pages, we're doing this wrong. It's like learning the alphabet vs learning to read. :shrug:

• Like 1

Coffee's flavor wheel is more complex than wine's. If you're interested in what the baristas, cuppers, competitive brewers are swooning about; why something is on a list of greatest coffees, a conversation like the one in the beer or wine threads, then we have to move on to the current fresh roasts vying for that attention. If you ain't about that life, ignore me and probably save yourself. It's too late for me.

3 hours ago, Ketamine Dreams said:

They used to do this for the church meals etc in the small town where I grew up. (Not Minnesota). My sisters and I were just talking about this and I plan to try it out. I do believe it makes a difference, and they do it in Europe IIRC.

:unsure:

2 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Extracto keeps knocking out of the park here in Portland.   I pass 8 to 10 other coffee shops every morning on the way to work and on the weekends for their brews.  

http://www.extractocoffee.com/#about

I'll have to check them out. I'm pretty impressed by Coava, apparently I'm not in the minority, as they've been written up in a few best of pieces for 2016.

1 hour ago, skycriesmary said:

I'll have to check them out. I'm pretty impressed by Coava, apparently I'm not in the minority, as they've been written up in a few best of pieces for 2016.

Cool.  I'll be sure to check them out.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I'll post occasionally about what I'm currently drinking and what I think of it. I've been roasting my own Ethiopian Hambela Alaca and it hasn't been as good as I hoped. I purchased five pounds of green beans from a trusted source (a few months ago) and they smell incredible unroasted. Could be my roasting skill but ground finer than usual and brewed hotter than usual (two ways to over extract) it still tastes a little weak and under extracted. When I'm ready to order next I will probably try Klatch's version and see if a professional roaster makes a big difference. The beans have scored 93-96 so it should be awesome coffee. The tasting notes at Klatch describe exactly the kind of coffee I favor, but my home roast isn't nearly as good as Blue Bottle's 3 Africans (which is the bar for me for this type of coffee). If I can't find or roast something better, then I should just buy the Blue Bottle. 

I have 2 pounds of Ethiopian Bench Maji (medium roasted according to the label, but nice and light out of the bag). It was roasted in Dallas on the 14th and in my California mailbox on the 17th. I liked the sales pitch -- wild, shade grown, organic, close as we get to the original ancient coffee, dozens of different heirlooms in one bag, blabla. Enjoying my first batch, atm.  Nice, real nice. It's why I decided to post. It's low acid, naturally sweet, not a lot going on flavor wise beyond rich clean coffee. A good non offensive gateway coffee to single origin snobbery. I've had better, but a solid purchase. It came in two 1 lb bags for $25 shipped, so I'll probably gift a bag to move along to something else sooner.

Also, there's a few ounces of Blue Macaw's Kona coffee in the cupboard. That's a good price comparatively for Kona, though it and Jamaica BM are way over-rated. My batch is excellent if, like the Bench Maji, you prefer a clean simple cup. Real smooth and almost creamy without cream. The Bench Maji is naturally sweeter. Hmm, sounds like I should brew a batch of them blended.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, proninja said:

I assume you're using a pour over or some other kind of manual brewing method?

I love Ethiopian coffee in my Chemex/v60/Aeropress, but in my espresso machine it gets a bit too concentrated. 

Probably 90% of the coffee I drink at home is via Kalita Wave 185 pour overs. There's a list of reasons, none of them because it is The Best, mostly because it's the most forgiving. The rest is cold brewed in a mason jar then filtered plus very little via a Neopolitan flip pot (my daughter's thing learned from her grandma). I don't do espresso at home (not equipped beyond an old Bialletti) or even like it all that much. Some Italian I am, eh. I really enjoy the morning ritual of brewing and slowly consuming 24 oz of black coffee. So little shots of espresso are kind of  weird and too fast and pointless and how the hell do you sip something so tiny without feeling like a dork. :lol:

Btw, the Kona - Bench Maji blend is in my cup and a noticeable improvement from either single origin. Also, I use Tetsu's 4:6 technique, because it's so easy. Here he's teaching it to other brewing champions on the Kalita I use.

30 minutes ago, proninja said:

I was dead happy with pour over, I just have this obsessive nerdy thing I do where I have to know everything about something I get nerdy about, and espresso was the next logical step, so I took the plunge. :sipstinycupwithpinkyintheair:

I didn't care much about the quality of coffee for 25 years getting by with muddy French pressings or Black and Decker + Yuban auto drips at home and whatever at restaurants. Two things changed me. One, my mom dying of cancer taste buds sometimes failing from chemo became furious, that me her caregiver, could not bring her a decent cup of coffee. Two, a niece took a job in a Beverly Hills coffee and chocolate place and started giving me all the Blue Bottle I could brew. Made mom happy and I became obsessed with the citrus and stone fruit and honey and cloying sweetness in some of these black coffees. The difference to me between mainstream premiums like Illy, Starbucks, Peete's, etc., and Maxwell House, Folgers, Yuban is real but minor. I'm with Chaka. It's coffee. Beans and water. The difference between those premiums and near competition quality beans properly extracted is... well, they're not the same beverage to me. 

On 2/11/2017 at 2:24 PM, Maurile Tremblay said:

...with a cheap, handheld burr grinder...

Very cool, thanks. The grinder on our espresso machine broke down a little while ago and I don't want to spend $200 to get it fixed (again). I have been using a spice grinder to grind beans and the results have been frustratingly inconsistent. Just ordered one of these (Java Press or something like that, I think) from Amazon today and expecting it to arrive this evening (Prime rules).

On 3/5/2017 at 9:59 PM, Chaos Commish said:

A year + later the discussion is still about devices and brewing methods. Regardless of method if you brew bad beans, you'll get bad coffee. If you brew mediocre beans you should get mediocre coffee. If you brew great beans you'll probably get great coffee. This list is a great place to start.

I roast my beans, currently getting through a few pounds of Ethiopia Hambela Alaka. 96 pointer from a better roaster than me, but I get a great cup despite myself. 

Best I've had in the past year that wasn't stupid expensive is Dragonfly's Pacamara.

I still love Blue Bottle's Three Africans, but  they went from light to medium roast, a downgrade for me. 

24 hour flash sale on that Pacamara. 12oz $12. No brainer. I bought two.

On 3/21/2017 at 8:27 PM, proninja said:

Dang. Didn't see this until now. Thanks for posting. 

Got it yesterday. Drinking it now. Wow. Just buy it. It's probably the same as the last two years, but it's been so long since I've had it that I feel like this batch may be even better. Fruit and tea qualities, milk chocolate, honeysuckle, super smooth hint of acidity giving it a subtle sourness, not bitter, not even close. The aroma from opening the bag filled my kitchen and dining room with extraordinary fragrance. Adding milk or sugar would be criminal, but pulling shots would be interesting. I may be exaggerating because I've been disappointed with the coffee selections lately, but this is probably the best coffee I've had, and I've paid big dollars for geishas several times. ymmv.

Slight diversion: I'm going to need a new brewer in the near future. My wife hates coffee so I've historically had things like Keurigs to keep it simple for me. I've been trying to read up on brewers that will grind and brew and not do so for 12 cups since it's just for me.

Any recommendations or ones you've had and would avoid? The two I bookmarked thus far are both Cuisinart.

3 hours ago, Jayded said:

Slight diversion: I'm going to need a new brewer in the near future. My wife hates coffee so I've historically had things like Keurigs to keep it simple for me. I've been trying to read up on brewers that will grind and brew and not do so for 12 cups since it's just for me.

Any recommendations or ones you've had and would avoid? The two I bookmarked thus far are both Cuisinart.

I have a Cuisinart brewer that grinds and brews... in a box in my garage. If I didn't forget it, it would be at the Salvation Army. I would avoid it, whichever it is. It was a malfunctioning mess. You're moving on from the Keurig because? If it's just to use better beans that you grind yourself, you can do that with the Keurig

You might be a candidate for an Aeropress . They make great single cups. It's a gateway device to coffee nerdism. With an Aeropress you don't need a burr grinder though many would argue with me. If you only drink a cup at a time it's a great way to go, and a manual burr grinder can be had cheap. I'm lazy and would use a powered grinder, blade or burr. Burr grinders can be messy because of static (grounds get all over the kitchen). The best one I've found relatively cheap is Bodum's, glass container instead of plastic, no static. Same one in the video (first link). 

2 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

I have a Cuisinart brewer that grinds and brews... in a box in my garage. If I didn't forget it, it would be at the Salvation Army. I would avoid it, whichever it is. It was a malfunctioning mess. You're moving on from the Keurig because? If it's just to use better beans that you grind yourself, you can do that with the Keurig

You might be a candidate for an Aeropress . They make great single cups. It's a gateway device to coffee nerdism. With an Aeropress you don't need a burr grinder though many would argue with me. If you only drink a cup at a time it's a great way to go, and a manual burr grinder can be had cheap. I'm lazy and would use a powered grinder, blade or burr. Burr grinders can be messy because of static (grounds get all over the kitchen). The best one I've found relatively cheap is Bodum's, glass container instead of plastic, no static. Same one in the video (first link). 

Thanks! I should have clarified initially that I think the Keurig is in its final months and let's me consider if there's a better or easier option for my situation. I prefer the idea of grinding fresh per cup and is where the idea of grinder+brewer combos sounded appealing but wasn't sure if I was just overthinking it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 6:24 PM, Chaos Commish said:

I didn't get a 24 hour flash sale but the Pacamara and an even higher rated Kenyan are 12 oz for $12 again. I'm running out of the Pacamara tomorrow and ordered one of each just now.

Okay those are both world class near competition grade coffees and they're gone. Five stars. I'd take the Pacamara in a pinch, but you won't get better pour overs or Aeropressed coffee for $7-10 a cup in any 3rd wave hipster joint. So I've made a $50 Blue Bottle purchase to get free shipping (which ends up being a better deal than their subscription service). 

1 × Rwanda Nyanza Iwacu Whole Bean, 6 oz Bag

1 × Peru Puno Juan Quilla Laura Whole Bean, 6 oz Bag

2 × Three Africas Whole Bean, 12 oz Bag

3 Africans has been top tier for me for a few years and I felt like something can't miss. All three claim jasmine in the tasting notes, maybe the first floral coffee flavor to blow my mind and make me wonder what I'd been drinking all those years without it. Dealing with my home roasted Ethiopian until they arrive. Which is fine. I've roasted a pound a minute longer than usual and have a full city profile here that is thankfully an improvement. Pretty delicious mug in front of me atm.

On 3/20/2017 at 5:37 PM, Chaos Commish said:

I love how all beverages are now starting to adopt the wine scoring system.  Some of these industries are making a killing off of simple things like a score of 90 points +.  I have seen the beer and spirit industry explode for high quality, at least perceived high quality products, why not coffee :).  

1 hour ago, Johnny Rock said:

Recently stayed at Caesars Palace for an annual conference there and was taken aback at how good their house coffee tastes. 

La Vazza apparently. Haven't tried it at home yet. 

I think Lavazza is great,  haven't had any flavor that wasn't wonderful,  but the Kilimanjaro flavor is my favorite coffee I've ever had. It's really good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerson Biggens said:

I think Lavazza is great,  haven't had any flavor that wasn't wonderful,  but the Kilimanjaro flavor is my favorite coffee I've ever had. It's really good. 

I've only tried the green bag. Had to look it up. Gran Selezione - chocolaty. My memory was I thought it was burnt from the roast. Kilimanjaro - crisp, fruity. Yup, that sounds like me. I'll try a bag when the Blue Bottle is gone in a month. 

• Like 1

I know this is heresy around this thread ...and I am considering getting a press.  

Anyhow ...anyone have any recommendations for the best taste/value in k-cups?  I won't be breaking my wife out of them and I used them for the ease.  Ridiculously expensive, I'm looking for a better deal on this stuff.  

7 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I know this is heresy around this thread ...and I am considering getting a press.  

Anyhow ...anyone have any recommendations for the best taste/value in k-cups?  I won't be breaking my wife out of them and I used them for the ease.  Ridiculously expensive, I'm looking for a better deal on this stuff.  

The Kauai Coffee Na Pali Coast Dark Roast K Cup is a decent cup of coffee. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Not heresy. Get reusable k cups and pack them with quality coffee. Save money. Drink better coffee.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, throwbackguy said:

La Colombe.

https://www.lacolombe.com/pages/coffee#

Nice. I put them in the rotation, just $30 to get to free shipping :)

If anyone wants to step up to the "best beans in the world", this place has them. Scroll down to the bottom - Esmeralda Geisha. The geisha bean was selected and isolated from the dozens of heirlooms that make up Yirgacheffe (once considered world's best itself). It then traveled to the Peterson Estate, La Esmeralda in Panama, and the rest is modern coffee history.

I'm a fan of the Cafe Dumonde Chickory Coffee like you get down in NoLa.  You can buy it pre-ground in the old-school metal cans.  The Chickory gives it a really strong taste, but I then add a decent bit of half/half and sugar to get it where I like it.  Love the taste.  I usually brew it in my iCoffee using their reusable pod thing.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2017 at 10:12 AM, Chaos Commish said:

1 × Rwanda Nyanza Iwacu Whole Bean, 6 oz Bag

1 × Peru Puno Juan Quilla Laura Whole Bean, 6 oz Bag

The Peru was a little letdown but only because reading about the farm, the altitude, and considering the price, I figured it would knock my socks off. Not quite. Really really good coffee but I've had better lately. The Rwanda, whoa. Posting now because I'm drinking it for the first time. Maybe it's me but I seem to really prefer African coffee. It's awesome. I'm not good at deciding something is the best, so I like to consider things in tiers. This is in the top tier, no doubt. If I get taste note nerdy, it's sweet black, milk chocolaty and semi sweet chocolate combined, not a hint of the roast or bitterness, a lemony citrus aftertaste. No jasmine, dern it, but so very good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 10:47 AM, proninja said:

How I travel

Pour over with a nice Ethiopian I've never had before. Temp adjustable kettle, grind by weight, v60 into my travel mug. 

Nice set up. As I got nerdier than press pots with the Kalita, I started following brew champs and their instructions, weighing the beans (43 grams), grinding one click coarser than drip, measuring the water (700ml), heating to 205 degrees, rinsing the filter, pouring in widening circles for as close to 3:30 as possible. Meh, one process at a time I dropped all that. Now I eyeball the beans, grind, take the water to a boil, wait a half minute, pour over dry filter and drink. I could do it drunk and blind. The taste of the coffee has hardly varied. Starting out a little nerdy is probably good training, but after awhile it seemed both silly and unnecessary. 

I gave away 12 oz of the Blue Bottle to someone who refused to let me pay for dinner. She gladly accepted a fresh bag of beans, whatever. So, I'm out again in a few days and need to make a new purchase. The Harrar and Lavazza are going to wait. Dragon Fly got me with their email marketing, so...

A nearly celestial coffee experience. Expansive and immense, sparkling and transcendent. An effervescent acidity delightfully leads into an array of fruit, floral and spice notes. Strawberry, lilac, orchid, coriander, port wine, ginger, clove all burst from the cup in a harmonious orchestra. Supported by a long, rich chocolate toned body and smooth saturating finish.

A cup like no other. 

Port of Mokha - Hayma Micro Lot: Mohamed Hadi - 8oz WHOLE BEAN  $ 80.00   1 $ 80.00  

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Negele Washed - 12oz WHOLE BEAN  $ 14.00   1 $ 14.00

Yup, 80 bucks for 8 oz. They're on sale so I'm saving $16. :loco:

So I use a Chem Ex 8-cup most days. I bought some paper filters recently and they're squares. they can be folded to fit the outer cone just fine. However, I feel like I am wasting a lot of paper in the process. I get that it's supposed to be a kind of universal filter to accommodate all their sizes but it seems wasteful somehow. Anyone have recommendations for their ChemEx ?