Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Best Coffee


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, saintfool said:

So I use a Chem Ex 8-cup most days. I bought some paper filters recently and they're squares. they can be folded to fit the outer cone just fine. However, I feel like I am wasting a lot of paper in the process. I get that it's supposed to be a kind of universal filter to accommodate all their sizes but it seems wasteful somehow. Anyone have recommendations for their ChemEx ?

My only thought is to use the bleached filters. Some claim they don't notice any difference. I do. A couple links explaining:

https://clivecoffee.com/2015/05/chemex-filters-bleached-vs-unbleached/

Quote

After the brew cycle was finished, I cupped both and let them cool for about a minute. I found the bleached filter had all of the qualities of the traditional Chemex we’re all used to: a clean, smooth cup that has very balanced flavors. The unbleached filter wasn’t terrible, but I did notice it lacked the smooth, balanced flavors and it also had a paper flavor to it.

https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/blog/the-facts-about-filters

Quote

OUR RECOMMENDATION?

Choose an oxygen bleached filter, like the Melitta white, Chemex or Hario V60. If you insist on using a natural, rinse the hell out of it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your coffee will be a little muddier. You won't (shouldn't) get a layer of sediment at the bottom like a French press, but you won't get the clear clean cup you get with a paper filter. I think they're fine. I have this one. I use it when I run out of filters.

Chemex paper filter vs Able Kone

Sure using the metal filter is going to be greener than the paper filters in time, but most paper filters are coming from recycled and/or sustainably grown trees. If you're concerned about being greener with coffee, your metal filter makes little impact compared to buying direct trade, organic, shade grown coffee beans. Don't support the massive corporate plantations (and the brands that buy from them). They wreak environmental havoc, poison your coffee and the soil, while killing habitats and clearing old growth rain forest with what amounts to slave labor, sometimes child labor. Another big plus for the shade grown African coffees is the thousands of small farms individually owned, doing things the right way, and proceeds going straight to improving lives. South American and Asian farms are based on rich land owner models. Not all, but most. Anyway, filter choice is minor.

Environmental impact of coffee + google

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...
On 5/11/2017 at 8:43 PM, proninja said:

I've been on straight espresso since April 1. At the beach last week drinking black coffee I couldn't help but wonder "why is there all this water in my coffee"

No posts since last May? Pretty sure it was Ramsey here who directed me to a DC area roaster called Vigilante. They're doing something I haven't seen before - sending free samples of their competition beans (with promo code COFFEECHAMPS and a $25 purchase). Roasters don't want competition to have them beforehand, and they never know what price they may fetch based on results. Competition beans I've ordered have been between 70 and $100 for 8 - 12 ounces. The variety Vigilante is using is a Gesha (or Geisha). Geshas have won 90%+ of competitions for a decade+, and they're always stupid expensive. Be sure they're the best beans Vigilante has access to atm, and that they've compared dozens of roast profiles and brew techniques before arriving at their entries. No idea how big the sample is, but they're selling 3 ounces for $15. 

The bit they emailed me.

Was followed by. The crew is in NOLA for the US Coffee Championships- Get a FREE sample of the competition coffee with any purchase over $25. Use code: COFFEECHAMPS for FREE Red Gesha Sample with any purchase over $25.

For $33 I get the free sample, the 3 ouncer of same and their Guatamala Las Cortinas.

On the other hand, my constant whining at Trader Joe's about the lack of a true light roast has apparently worked. 12 oz @ 6.99 for three Africans blended in a light roast? Best deal in the world of good coffee you can find.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have gone pour over and have been getting coffee from 

http://veteranroasters.com/

They are out of Chicago and only employ veterans. I'm not nearl the connoisseur some of you guys are but it's a big step up from the k-cups I was using and instead of feeling guilty about how wasteful k-cups are, I feel like it's going towards a solid cause. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2015 at 0:24 PM, Jefferson the Caregiver said:

Big fan of Lavazza. I get that one every morning.

Philz makes some damn good coffee too. I buy their beans for use at home.

Was in downtown LA for a couple days. Working near one of these Philz Coffee places, one of best cups of coffee I have ever had. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TripleThreat said:

Roasted some Panama Mama Cata on Sunday... was good this morning, should be really tasty tomorrow. 

Nice. I've had nearly a dozen Geshas and I've roasted nearly 100 pounds of green (dialed it in after the learning curve), but I've never roasted a Gesha. For the quality and the money I best leave it to the pros. So how do you roast? What's the profile? Where'd ya get the beans?

Also, I've learned to wait three or four days on my roasts. Day 1 seems a little watery despite what I've read about a 12-24 hour gas off. Blue Bottle has started listing when their coffees peak. It's generally 48-72 hours and lasts three weeks. I've been really happy with a few of my roasts after a week or so, but lately I'm just too lazy and enjoy seeking the good stuff from the pros. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm using a Quest M3. I like it a lot, although I'm limited to batch sizes of 125 grams, it's fully manual so the results are all on me (good and bad).

This batch was developed to ~ 20% using the Scott Rao development time ratio. 

The greens I have are starting to get "long in the tooth" so I just ordered some Rwanda and the Columbia Vereda San Miguel from SM.

I'm brewing manually, V60 or Chemex, so I'm roasting for that.  

Edited by TripleThreat
added brew method
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/7/2017 at 6:24 PM, Chaos Commish said:

I didn't get a 24 hour flash sale but the Pacamara and an even higher rated Kenyan are 12 oz for $12 again. I'm running out of the Pacamara tomorrow and ordered one of each just now.

That was over a year ago and I later said I might like the Kenyan better even though the Pacamara was a perfect a coffee as I had so far. Well an even better Kenyan is $10 for 12 ounces today only. I bought five to get to 50 and free shipping.

Also Portland Roasters, Roast Magazine's roaster of the year and a multiple competition winner, is showing up in local groceries with their house blend. It's several levels up from anything else on the shelves, imo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

That was over a year ago and I later said I might like the Kenyan better even though the Pacamara was a perfect a coffee as I had so far. Well an even better Kenyan is $10 for 12 ounces today only. I bought five to get to 50 and free shipping.

Also Portland Roasters, Roast Magazine's roaster of the year and a multiple competition winner, is showing up in local groceries with their house blend. It's several levels up from anything else on the shelves, imo. 

Hmm, I'm tempted, but usually prefer darker blends. Have you had Nossa Familia? We have an embarrassment of riches as far as different roasters here, but this is one of my favorites. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

Hmm, I'm tempted, but usually prefer darker blends. Have you had Nossa Familia? We have an embarrassment of riches as far as different roasters here, but this is one of my favorites. 

Incredible beer culture, world class pinots everywhere, the best 3rd wave coffee movement on the planet. I should move. If only I could pack up the sun and bring it with me. I haven't tried Nossa Familia. They want 65 for free shipping so maybe after I get through the order I just made. Prices are fine. Hipster doofishness about right. 

Edited by Chaos Commish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

Incredible beer culture, world class pinots everywhere, the best 3rd wave coffee movement on the planet. I should move. If only I could pack up the sun and bring it with me. I haven't tried Nossa Familia. They want 65 for free shipping so maybe after I get through the order I just made. Prices are fine. Hipster doofishness about right. 

Yeah, that's our kryptonite. You also have to have a high threshold for the doofishness. I've learned to live with it for all the reasons you mentioned, and the second best music scene in the country (next to Austin). 

Is that Kenyan as light as most African blends?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

Yeah, that's our kryptonite. You also have to have a high threshold for the doofishness. I've learned to live with it for all the reasons you mentioned, and the second best music scene in the country (next to Austin). 

Is that Kenyan as light as most African blends?

It will be light. It says medium light, but it will be light light compared to most medium lights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

dammit... I should've checked in here earlier. :blackdot: I'm completely naive about all of this.

just got a bodum travel french-press with a bag of peets. considering I was drinking my morning and afternoon instant (bustello) on the weekends at home (keurig at the office where I got addicted), I'm loving the peets through the press. but that aeropress thing looks great... unless those are filters? would prefer to avoid filters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Anyone try anything new over the holidays??

My wife got some cold brew kits by Grady’s to take on vacation. I was skeptical but it was good. Of course I was always a little drunk and often was putting cream and coconut rum in it but I thought it was a good investment.

https://www.amazon.com/Gradys-Cold-Brew-Coffee-Regular/dp/B01BY8MCE8

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Anyone try anything new over the holidays??

along the lines of my earlier post, i found a nice cloth filter for my ChemEx. It's super easy to use and maintain. I'd recommend for those trying to become a little more "green".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Anyone try anything new over the holidays??

Kirkland dark at Costco...gave it to my sister who is a coffee snob and told her I bought it at Zingermans in Ann Arbor for 30 dollars a lb.  She then goes on to tell me how superior it is to off the shelf coffee.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big fan of Community Coffee.  Golden Caramel, Pecan Praline, and Chicory roasts are my go-to's.  Dark chocolate and peppermint was great, and I've got King Cake next up in the queue.

I make my own cold brew: Pour 12 oz of grounds into 2 gallon container and fill with water.  Let steep for 24 hours; occasionally shake.  Line a sieve with linen cloth and filter into a container large enough to hold; squeeze the linen real good at the end.  Yields about 96 oz which I pour into three 32 oz Mason jars and file away in the fridge. If the yield is less than 96 oz, I distribute evenly between the three jars and top off with water.  ... To take to work, I pour 10 oz into a smaller 16 oz Mason jar, add two oz of heavy cream, and 6 ice cubes.  When I drink it, I think, what a great person I am.  The caffeine content is super stout; it will wake the dead.

On the weekends, I like to bust out the French press.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Is that recipe in this thread somewhere?  link?  

No but it’s pretty much just that: good coffee, cream (whipped if possible) and 43 liqueur. Can be done hot or cold. 

They call the drink a  Carajillo in Mexico. 

Edited by Ilov80s
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, belljr said:

Never considered making iced coffee....

we love it ...almost like sun tea.  We got a coffee sock and do anywhere from a gallon or half-gallon at a time.  Just put the ground coffee in the sock, pour the filtered water through the sock, and leave in the water overnight ...they say 12-14 hrs ...we like it a little longer.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, belljr said:

Never considered making iced coffee....

In my less experienced days I’d even just brew a coffee, let it come to room temp and then throw it in the fridge over night. Throw in a bunch of ice in the morning and it’s iced coffee for my summer commute. It was no fancy cold brew or anything but it was good. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

In my less experienced days I’d even just brew a coffee, let it come to room temp and then throw it in the fridge over night. Throw in a bunch of ice in the morning and it’s iced coffee for my summer commute. It was no fancy cold brew or anything but it was good. 

The idea behind not brewing iced coffee is that is it less bitter.

Quote from RoastyCoffee.com - "Let's be clear about this, cold brew is not the same drink as iced coffee. ... It's time, rather than heat that extracts the flavor, caffeine, and sugars from the coffeebeans. The steeping process is more sympathetic to the coffee bean, so you don't end up with the bitter flavor that roasting can produce."

full article

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, belljr said:

Oh I order iced coffee all the time, never thought about able to brew it

Just get a Toddy, 12 ounces of course ground good coffee and let it steep overnight...then mix 1:1:2 coffee to milk to water ratio when done (no sugar needed).  WA LA awesome coffee.   Make sure you use good coffee since it tends to enhance the flavors.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

The idea behind not brewing iced coffee is that is it less bitter.

Quote from RoastyCoffee.com - "Let's be clear about this, cold brew is not the same drink as iced coffee. ... It's time, rather than heat that extracts the flavor, caffeine, and sugars from the coffeebeans. The steeping process is more sympathetic to the coffee bean, so you don't end up with the bitter flavor that roasting can produce."

full article

Oh yeah I know iced coffee isn’t cold brew. My wife only only drinks cold brew because it’s less bitter so I’ve heard all about this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, El Floppo said:

dammit... I should've checked in here earlier. :blackdot: I'm completely naive about all of this.

just got a bodum travel french-press with a bag of peets. considering I was drinking my morning and afternoon instant (bustello) on the weekends at home (keurig at the office where I got addicted), I'm loving the peets through the press. but that aeropress thing looks great... unless those are filters? would prefer to avoid filters.

:wub: my Aeropress.  I use one of these instead of paper filters

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, belljr said:

:confused:   dump in trash.

Rinse out the little bit left

seemed obvious, and this is what I've been doing- just wondered if there was another or better way. working with grounds is new to me- was't sure if there was something special I was supposed to do with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

seemed obvious, and this is what I've been doing- just wondered if there was another or better way. working with grounds is new to me- was't sure if there was something special I was supposed to do with them.

you could put them in the yard/flower beds as a fertilizer.....

 

amazingly not schtick

Edited by belljr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, saintfool said:

sock style filters work great. metal ones are out there too.

How do you clean the sock style? I assume it needs to be done after every use? The metal one seems interesting- seems like it wouldn't work as well but I have no basis for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...