What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Best Coffee (1 Viewer)

How do you clean the sock style? I assume it needs to be done after every use? The metal one seems interesting- seems like it wouldn't work as well but I have no basis for that.
i turn it inside out into the garbage. i quick rinse and wringing out gets it ready for most morning brews. it should be moist before you pour anyway. every 6 weeks or so i put it in some boiling water for 10 minutes to clean it proper. i never use soap or detergent with it.

i turn it inside out into the garbage. i quick rinse and wringing out gets it ready for most morning brews. it should be moist before you pour anyway. every 6 weeks or so i put it in some boiling water for 10 minutes to clean it proper. i never use soap or detergent with it.
Thanks, you the man

In the market for a new coffee maker.  Reusable filter thing tore and the paper ones suck bad in this machine and end up dropping too many grinds into my coffee for my liking (and when we have guests).  No OEM replacement available that I can find...and generic ones have fit terribly.  Thing was like a $30 machine anyway I got as a gift so its not a big loss.

Nothing fancy, a decent drip machine to make a decent sized pot.  I wouldn't mind one that I could have the option to just brew a single serving when I just want a cup or a to go cup (but being easy to clean is more important to me than having that option)  And Id rather not spend the typical FBG amount on a coffee maker.  Lets try and keep it $80 and under (I can be persuaded for the right features to got a little higher)

Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any other recommendations on coffee makers?  No single serve keurig bs...looking to get pour-over quality from a machine.   thx

Any other recommendations on coffee makers?  No single serve keurig bs...looking to get pour-over quality from a machine.   thx

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer 

these have to follow a strict standard... any of these will work.  Find one in your price bracket and use in combination with a serious grinder. 

I have the Moccamaster combined with a Forte grinder (moved up from a Virtuoso) 

ETA there's a Ninja on there... 

Not a machine, but we've been using a chemex for almost 20 years now and I doubt we'll ever use anything else.  It takes a bit more work/time in the morning, but I like to take my mornings slow anyway.

We got a Ninja Coffee Bar System (CF091) a couple of years ago.  Love the hell outta that thing. 
We've owned this exact machine for 2 months and  love it as well. The wife wanted to buy another Keurig but I've never been impressed with them. After doing some research I decided on the Ninja Coffee Bar. Found it for $92 shipped from Kohls. This thing rocks. Definitely could taste how bad Folgers really taste using this machine.

Not a machine, but we've been using a chemex for almost 20 years now and I doubt we'll ever use anything else.  It takes a bit more work/time in the morning, but I like to take my mornings slow anyway.
this is me. i barely use the French Press anymore. I have a Clever, too, for a single cup when needed. 

this is me. i barely use the French Press anymore. I have a Clever, too, for a single cup when needed. 
Same but instead of Chemex I use a Kalita 185. For years now. I've compared the results to a dozen different methods and it always wins. I like the ritual/process too. 

As for great coffee beans, Roast Magazine is pretty serious about their competitions. You see my favorite roaster, Dragonfly, from a couple years ago in this thread won Roaster of the year 2019. I don't order from anyone else anymore, but when I pick up a bag locally... Landmark Coffee Beans, also a past roaster of the year, is in my Walmart and wth, it is damn good coffee. Could be a west coast thing.

I mostly use a Jura A9 automatic because it is easier in the morning, but, since I’m working from home instead of heading into the office, thinking of trying to improve my coffee skills a bit.

I’ve got a French press, which I’ve had for a couple of years, but I rarely use it because I never have been able to make good coffee with it. I think part of my problem is my inability to get consistently coarse grinds.  So, what are people using for grinders?  I was looking at something like this.

For pour over/Aeropress folks, is it pretty easy to make consistent coffee?  Are the measurements of coffee grams and water ounces/temperature, and coffee grinding, pretty precise or a good amount of leeway? If I’m struggling just figuring out how to make good coffee with a French press, would I just be throwing money away?  While interested in upping my game, I also feel like I’ll probably just lazily go back to the Jura if find too much work and struggle to make consistently good coffee with it (which is basically what I did with the French press).

IMO it's easier to make good coffee with a pour over than with french press... baratza encore is good grinder for the money that will last you a long time.. and is pretty easy to diy fix.  I've had one for close to 15 years now (it's my backup/car vacation grinder now).  I use a Forte now. 

good grinder, v60, electric thin spout kettle, thermometer and a scale.   watch a couple of videos.  good medium light locally roasted beans and it won't take long before you can have really good coffee on a consistent basis.

Maybe too lowbrow for this thread but I am love love loving making cold brew at home.  Aiming for 500g of coffee to 2L water but have fallen to 340g per bag of supermarket preground french roast and use a little less water.  Combine in a pitcher, making sure grounds are completely wet, and let sit in a darkish counter corner for 18-24 hours.  I thoroughly rinse a couple paper towels (paper filters run a little small for this job imo), line my fine mesh strainer, and pour through into a second pitcher that goes into the fridge.  A little pre-taste will tell you what direction to take it when making a drink.  Mostly diluting with some water and ice and drinking black.  Product is very tasty and low bitterness.  I'm sure the quality would go up if I bought better whole beans but grinding that much is a big ask for my cuisinart grinder.  

I mostly use a Jura A9 automatic because it is easier in the morning, but, since I’m working from home instead of heading into the office, thinking of trying to improve my coffee skills a bit.

I’ve got a French press, which I’ve had for a couple of years, but I rarely use it because I never have been able to make good coffee with it. I think part of my problem is my inability to get consistently coarse grinds.  So, what are people using for grinders?  I was looking at something like this.

For pour over/Aeropress folks, is it pretty easy to make consistent coffee?  Are the measurements of coffee grams and water ounces/temperature, and coffee grinding, pretty precise or a good amount of leeway? If I’m struggling just figuring out how to make good coffee with a French press, would I just be throwing money away?  While interested in upping my game, I also feel like I’ll probably just lazily go back to the Jura if find too much work and struggle to make consistently good coffee with it (which is basically what I did with the French press).
I have an old Breville grinder that I don't think is made anymore - it's held up for almost 10 years. 

I brew with an Aeropress but I don't completely :nerd:  out on exact coffee/water measurements.  I figured out early on that a 1/3 cup scoop of beans was about dead-on weight wise for the amount I wanted to brew at a time, so I just scoop and grind that much beans every day.  I use the "inverted" method for the press, and I let it steep for roughly the amount of time it takes to give my 2 dogs their morning jerky treats.  Then press into a large mug and top off with hot water. (So kind of an Americano I guess?)

Maybe too lowbrow for this thread but I am love love loving making cold brew at home.  Aiming for 500g of coffee to 2L water but have fallen to 340g per bag of supermarket preground french roast and use a little less water.  Combine in a pitcher, making sure grounds are completely wet, and let sit in a darkish counter corner for 18-24 hours.  I thoroughly rinse a couple paper towels (paper filters run a little small for this job imo), line my fine mesh strainer, and pour through into a second pitcher that goes into the fridge.  A little pre-taste will tell you what direction to take it when making a drink.  Mostly diluting with some water and ice and drinking black.  Product is very tasty and low bitterness.  I'm sure the quality would go up if I bought better whole beans but grinding that much is a big ask for my cuisinart grinder.  
Easily the best $15 I've spent in a while. Got this in the mail a couple weeks ago and have been enjoying the heck out of it. Takes a little while to make but so worth it when it's done. 

Not sure where else to put, but one of my favorite things that I've discovered while working from home is being able to make an affogato for an afternoon pick-me-up whenever I **** well please.

We have a Bonavita and like it a lot. The pre-infusion option is great for beans freshly ground. Also do a Chemex pour over on weekends.

I recently bought this Cuisinart coffee station.  I can make a pot of coffee in the morning, then revert to single cups later at night when I only want a cup of coffee.  I like the single cup feature a lot more than I thought I would.  

Now, if you're looking for some good coffee, look no further than 100% Hawaiian Kona coffee from Buddhas Cup:2cents:

I have been drinking out of a single cup Keurig coffee maker for several years.  It has been great, but I decided to upgrade to the new Keurig Supreme.  The major change is there are multiple holes poked in the top of the k-cup, so the coffee can be much stronger (multi-stream technology).  My office has a regular k-cup machine that I tried recently, and the same Dunkin k-cup tasted watered down compared to the new one.  Much better, I highly recommend this.

Limited-time deal: Keurig K-Supreme Plus SMART Coffee Maker, Single Serve K-Cup Pod Coffee Brewer, BREWID and MultiStream Technology, 78 Oz Removable Reservoir, Brews 4 to 12oz cups, Black Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0973YH74Z/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_KASZ7X44GDSKFP9NGGHW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

IMO it's easier to make good coffee with a pour over than with french press
I love French press but to me it’s pour over all the way.

My no frills setup for my apartment:

stainless steel gooseneck w/ thermometer

34 oz carafe (cork band w/ leather tie, permanent stainless steel mesh filter)

grinder w/ brush

EDIT2: j/k really it’s

https://www.amazon.com/Kaffe-KF2010-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B07P7XF53S/ref=asc_df_B07P7XF53S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385266311735&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10233761360715363384&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004364&hvtargid=pla-846353753465&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=81511525194&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385266311735&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10233761360715363384&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004364&hvtargid=pla-846353753465

Super basic, IDC, makes terrific coffee. I mean kickass, fantastic java.

*****^*********

Getting married in 20 days (been divorced 21.5 years.) My fiancée is amazing, great life partner, we’re so thrilled.

She was drinking Keurig when I met her. No judgement. I’m not into drip / flow through, those single pods are bacteria traps that clog up easily, but whatever. NBD, really, she doesn’t have to be perfect. She’s perfect for me.

I didn’t get overly involved with the wedding registry. TBH I didn’t see the point - we’re combining two NYC apartments, lot of stuff is going to Goodwill this month. We’re 109 years old, why do we need new stuff? 

Well, we need new stuff apparently. Dishes, mugs, cookware. There’s a whole corner of the new apartment with gifts piled up to the ceiling. Whatever - if she’s happy, what do I care.

This weekend a new appliance hit the kitchen counter. Mind you, we’re in a NYC sized one bedroom. Walk through galley kitchen. Full number of cabinetry but counter space is at a premium. We’ve already got the smoothie blender, rice cooker, TWO air fryers, instant pot, coffee grinder, knife set, tons of utensils/stirrers/spatulas in a big ceramic canister. I can hardly breath in there, my food prep space is maybe 2.5 sq ft.

This abomination (from the registry) showed up yesterday.

#serenitynow
#serenitynow
#serenitynow

grinder w/ brush

*****^*********

Getting married in 20 days (been divorced 21.5 years.) My fiancée is amazing, great life partner, we’re so thrilled.

She was drinking Keurig when I met her. No judgement. I’m not into drip / flow through, those single pods are bacteria traps that clog up easily, but whatever. NBD, really, she doesn’t have to be perfect. She’s perfect for me.

I didn’t get overly involved with the wedding registry. TBH I didn’t see the point - we’re combing two NYC apartments, lot of stuff is going to Goodwill this month. We’re 109 years old, why do we need new stuff? 

Well, we need new stuff apparently. Dishes, mugs, cookware. There’s a whole corner of the new apartment with gifts piled up to the ceiling. Whatever - if she’s happy, what do I care.

This weekend a new appliance hit the kitchen counter. Mind you, we’re in a NYC sized one bedroom. Walk through galley kitchen. Full number of cabinetry but counter space is at a premium. We’ve already got the smoothie blender, rice cooker, TWO air fryers, instant pot, coffee grinder, knife set, tons of utensils/stirrers/spatulas in a big ceramic canister. I can hardly breath in there, my food prep space is maybe 2.5 sq ft.

#serenitynow
#serenitynow
#serenitynow
😂😂

I'll meet you down at the corner store, you'll never see it again. 

grinder w/ brush

*****^*********

I didn’t get overly involved with the wedding registry. TBH I didn’t see the point - we’re combing two NYC apartments, lot of stuff is going to Goodwill this month. We’re 109 years old, why do we need new stuff? 

#serenitynow
#serenitynow
#serenitynow
Congrats on the wedding! Know you’ve been through a lot the passed several years, so happy to hear things going well for you.

And I’m with you on counter space. I have a decent amount in my townhouse but the ice cream machine taking up space right now is driving me a bit nuts (though it’s 100% on me as I bought it for my wife for her birthday). But the other decorations and such are a bit much for me…

I know but I was trying to get to church this a.m. & figured NOBODY would actually click on a link or ask about something that you’ve already described as basic….

for Binky - basic (deluxe) grinder

thanks man!

we use the k-cup deal on a daily basis, but have been thinking of going with something similar to this for when we want to fancy it up ...

we have a similar grinder, but use it a lot for spices, so may want to get one for just coffee

thanks man!

we use the k-cup deal on a daily basis, but have been thinking of going with something similar to this for when we want to fancy it up ...

we have a similar grinder, but use it a lot for spices, so may want to get one for just coffee
yeah, we have a separate grinder for nuts & stuff. feel like there always a lot of dust/residue + oils for both java & nuts.

Congrats on the wedding! Know you’ve been through a lot the passed several years, so happy to hear things going well for you.

And I’m with you on counter space. I have a decent amount in my townhouse but the ice cream machine taking up space right now is driving me a bit nuts (though it’s 100% on me as I bought it for my wife for her birthday). But the other decorations and such are a bit much for me…
thank you brother. definitely been through some interesting seasons of late. figured I was destined to be single for life and was content with that, but two is better than one. we both feel incredibly blessed.

my old man used to have this habit of getting all four kids the same gifts for Christmas. gas grills, Adirondack chairs, deep fryers, ice cream machines. my three siblings live in the boonies with 5-10 acre plots and sprawling houses. I’ve been living in 500-700 sq ft apartments since 1999. if you bring anything in, you have to first figure out what’s getting donated to the thrift store.

I guess one nice thing about being 700 miles away is I never had to explain to him “whatever happened to that nice thing I bought you?”

:lol:

BobbyLayne said:
I know but I was trying to get to church this a.m. & figured NOBODY would actually click on a link or ask about something that you’ve already described as basic….

for Binky - basic (deluxe) grinder
congrats on the upcoming nuptials

Stepping up to a conical grinder will drastically up your coffee game unless you'll be using that monstrosity... I've had a Baratza Encore for over a dozen years, with the newer version you can easily replace the burrs.  

Users who are viewing this thread