Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Best Coffee


Recommended Posts

Just now, Ilov80s said:

How do you clean the sock style? I assume it needs to be done after every use? The metal one seems interesting- seems like it wouldn't work as well but I have no basis for that.

i turn it inside out into the garbage. i quick rinse and wringing out gets it ready for most morning brews. it should be moist before you pour anyway. every 6 weeks or so i put it in some boiling water for 10 minutes to clean it proper. i never use soap or detergent with it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, saintfool said:

i turn it inside out into the garbage. i quick rinse and wringing out gets it ready for most morning brews. it should be moist before you pour anyway. every 6 weeks or so i put it in some boiling water for 10 minutes to clean it proper. i never use soap or detergent with it.

Thanks, you the man

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

In the market for a new coffee maker.  Reusable filter thing tore and the paper ones suck bad in this machine and end up dropping too many grinds into my coffee for my liking (and when we have guests).  No OEM replacement available that I can find...and generic ones have fit terribly.  Thing was like a $30 machine anyway I got as a gift so its not a big loss.

Nothing fancy, a decent drip machine to make a decent sized pot.  I wouldn't mind one that I could have the option to just brew a single serving when I just want a cup or a to go cup (but being easy to clean is more important to me than having that option)  And Id rather not spend the typical FBG amount on a coffee maker.  Lets try and keep it $80 and under (I can be persuaded for the right features to got a little higher)

Any recommendations?

Edited by sho nuff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TripleThreat said:

stretch your budget a smidge and you can get a SCAA certified brewer...  (i have no personal experience with it) 

 

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

:blackdot:

I think I'm in the market for a new coffee maker.  I've been using a Cuisinart grind and brew that I bought back in 2005.  Still using the gold wire filter that came with it, but I think it's time to upgrade.

Edited by urbanhack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, urbanhack said:

Any other recommendations on coffee makers?  No single serve keurig bs...looking to get pour-over quality from a machine.   thx

 

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer 

these have to follow a strict standard... any of these will work.  Find one in your price bracket and use in combination with a serious grinder. 

 

I have the Moccamaster combined with a Forte grinder (moved up from a Virtuoso) 

 

ETA there's a Ninja on there... 

Edited by TripleThreat
ETA Ninja
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Any other recommendations on coffee makers?  No single serve keurig bs...looking to get pour-over quality from a machine.   thx

Not a machine, but we've been using a chemex for almost 20 years now and I doubt we'll ever use anything else.  It takes a bit more work/time in the morning, but I like to take my mornings slow anyway.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2019 at 1:41 PM, Bob Loblaw said:

We got a Ninja Coffee Bar System (CF091) a couple of years ago.  Love the hell outta that thing. 

We've owned this exact machine for 2 months and  love it as well. The wife wanted to buy another Keurig but I've never been impressed with them. After doing some research I decided on the Ninja Coffee Bar. Found it for $92 shipped from Kohls. This thing rocks. Definitely could taste how bad Folgers really taste using this machine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Not a machine, but we've been using a chemex for almost 20 years now and I doubt we'll ever use anything else.  It takes a bit more work/time in the morning, but I like to take my mornings slow anyway.

 

this is me. i barely use the French Press anymore. I have a Clever, too, for a single cup when needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, saintfool said:

this is me. i barely use the French Press anymore. I have a Clever, too, for a single cup when needed. 

Same but instead of Chemex I use a Kalita 185. For years now. I've compared the results to a dozen different methods and it always wins. I like the ritual/process too. 

As for great coffee beans, Roast Magazine is pretty serious about their competitions. You see my favorite roaster, Dragonfly, from a couple years ago in this thread won Roaster of the year 2019. I don't order from anyone else anymore, but when I pick up a bag locally... Landmark Coffee Beans, also a past roaster of the year, is in my Walmart and wth, it is damn good coffee. Could be a west coast thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I mostly use a Jura A9 automatic because it is easier in the morning, but, since I’m working from home instead of heading into the office, thinking of trying to improve my coffee skills a bit.

I’ve got a French press, which I’ve had for a couple of years, but I rarely use it because I never have been able to make good coffee with it. I think part of my problem is my inability to get consistently coarse grinds.  So, what are people using for grinders?  I was looking at something like this.

For pour over/Aeropress folks, is it pretty easy to make consistent coffee?  Are the measurements of coffee grams and water ounces/temperature, and coffee grinding, pretty precise or a good amount of leeway? If I’m struggling just figuring out how to make good coffee with a French press, would I just be throwing money away?  While interested in upping my game, I also feel like I’ll probably just lazily go back to the Jura if find too much work and struggle to make consistently good coffee with it (which is basically what I did with the French press).

Edited by Don Quixote
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

IMO it's easier to make good coffee with a pour over than with french press... baratza encore is good grinder for the money that will last you a long time.. and is pretty easy to diy fix.  I've had one for close to 15 years now (it's my backup/car vacation grinder now).  I use a Forte now. 

good grinder, v60, electric thin spout kettle, thermometer and a scale.   watch a couple of videos.  good medium light locally roasted beans and it won't take long before you can have really good coffee on a consistent basis.

 

Edited by TripleThreat
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe too lowbrow for this thread but I am love love loving making cold brew at home.  Aiming for 500g of coffee to 2L water but have fallen to 340g per bag of supermarket preground french roast and use a little less water.  Combine in a pitcher, making sure grounds are completely wet, and let sit in a darkish counter corner for 18-24 hours.  I thoroughly rinse a couple paper towels (paper filters run a little small for this job imo), line my fine mesh strainer, and pour through into a second pitcher that goes into the fridge.  A little pre-taste will tell you what direction to take it when making a drink.  Mostly diluting with some water and ice and drinking black.  Product is very tasty and low bitterness.  I'm sure the quality would go up if I bought better whole beans but grinding that much is a big ask for my cuisinart grinder.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2020 at 11:57 AM, Don Quixote said:

I mostly use a Jura A9 automatic because it is easier in the morning, but, since I’m working from home instead of heading into the office, thinking of trying to improve my coffee skills a bit.

I’ve got a French press, which I’ve had for a couple of years, but I rarely use it because I never have been able to make good coffee with it. I think part of my problem is my inability to get consistently coarse grinds.  So, what are people using for grinders?  I was looking at something like this.

For pour over/Aeropress folks, is it pretty easy to make consistent coffee?  Are the measurements of coffee grams and water ounces/temperature, and coffee grinding, pretty precise or a good amount of leeway? If I’m struggling just figuring out how to make good coffee with a French press, would I just be throwing money away?  While interested in upping my game, I also feel like I’ll probably just lazily go back to the Jura if find too much work and struggle to make consistently good coffee with it (which is basically what I did with the French press).

I have an old Breville grinder that I don't think is made anymore - it's held up for almost 10 years. 

I brew with an Aeropress but I don't completely :nerd: out on exact coffee/water measurements.  I figured out early on that a 1/3 cup scoop of beans was about dead-on weight wise for the amount I wanted to brew at a time, so I just scoop and grind that much beans every day.  I use the "inverted" method for the press, and I let it steep for roughly the amount of time it takes to give my 2 dogs their morning jerky treats.  Then press into a large mug and top off with hot water. (So kind of an Americano I guess?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, munga30 said:

Maybe too lowbrow for this thread but I am love love loving making cold brew at home.  Aiming for 500g of coffee to 2L water but have fallen to 340g per bag of supermarket preground french roast and use a little less water.  Combine in a pitcher, making sure grounds are completely wet, and let sit in a darkish counter corner for 18-24 hours.  I thoroughly rinse a couple paper towels (paper filters run a little small for this job imo), line my fine mesh strainer, and pour through into a second pitcher that goes into the fridge.  A little pre-taste will tell you what direction to take it when making a drink.  Mostly diluting with some water and ice and drinking black.  Product is very tasty and low bitterness.  I'm sure the quality would go up if I bought better whole beans but grinding that much is a big ask for my cuisinart grinder.  

Easily the best $15 I've spent in a while. Got this in the mail a couple weeks ago and have been enjoying the heck out of it. Takes a little while to make but so worth it when it's done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...