What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: Top 2013 College Prospects (1 Viewer)

BeTheMatch

Footballguy
With bowl season coming up, I'm wanting to not only watch draft-eligible prospects like Richardson, Luck, Blackmon, etc., but it's also a time to get a look at some of the next wave of prospects coming up for the following year's draft class as well.

I'm in, and a lot of other people are too, leagues where you can draft college guys. With that in mind, who are some of the top guys to be watching that aren't draft-eligible this year?

Robert Woods, Michael Dyer, Marcus Lattimore? Where do these guys rank in relation to this year's prospects and this year's rookies? Who else is out there?

I was thinking this as well. Thanks for starting the thread.

Is there going to be a Dez, Green, Jones, Blackman type WR?

Last edited by a moderator:
One guy that I'm going to be very interested in tracking next season is Knile Davis. He was poised to have a monster year for Arkansas before his injury in the summer and likely would have been a top 10 rookie pick for 2012. Now seeing how he recovers and if he can put himself in the conversation with the likes of Dyer and Lattimore is going to be interesting. Also, if Christine Michael from Texas A&M gets the bulk of the carries next year he might be another name for people to watch.

My very early list:

QB:

Tyler Bray, Tennessee

Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Tajh Boyd, Clemson

RB:

Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina

Michael Dyer, Auburn

Knile Davis, Arkansas

WR:

Robert Woods, USC

Kenny Stills, Oklahoma

Keenan Allen, Cal

'BeTheMatch said:
With bowl season coming up, I'm wanting to not only watch draft-eligible prospects like Richardson, Luck, Blackmon, etc., but it's also a time to get a look at some of the next wave of prospects coming up for the following year's draft class as well.

I'm in, and a lot of other people are too, leagues where you can draft college guys. With that in mind, who are some of the top guys to be watching that aren't draft-eligible this year?

Robert Woods, Michael Dyer, Marcus Lattimore? Where do these guys rank in relation to this year's prospects and this year's rookies? Who else is out there?
There was a rumor that Dyer was suspended for the bowl game. Never saw any confirmation though.

One guy that I'm going to be very interested in tracking next season is Knile Davis. He was poised to have a monster year for Arkansas before his injury in the summer and likely would have been a top 10 rookie pick for 2012. Now seeing how he recovers and if he can put himself in the conversation with the likes of Dyer and Lattimore is going to be interesting. Also, if Christine Michael from Texas A&M gets the bulk of the carries next year he might be another name for people to watch.

My very early list:

QB:

Tyler Bray, Tennessee

Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Tajh Boyd, Clemson

RB:

Michael Dyer, Auburn

Knile Davis, Arkansas

WR:

Robert Woods, USC

Kenny Stills, Oklahoma

Keenan Allen, Cal
Ugh, I cannot wait for this guy to come out. Here's a few guys that I think are poised for huge breakouts if they get a shot next year (eligible in 2013 or 2014):

Andre Debose WR Florida 2014

I dont know why he has not gotten a shot yet

REC YDS AVG LNG TD

15 423 28.2 80 4

He looks like a clone of Percy Harvin and Denarius Moore... Obviously thats a bit outrageous to make huge comparisons like that, but I think the kid has stardom written all over him

George Farmer WR USC 2014

They tried switching him to RB this year so he didn't get much action.

Melvin Gordon RB Wisc 2014

has the same style as Jamaal Charles, not as much speed but has a much bigger frame. Next stat hoarding RB in line for Wisconsin

Lache Seastrunk RB Baylor 2013

Transferred from oregon(for reasons I do not know), but came in as a highly touted 5 star prospect from Texas. Kid has all the talent in the world if he can put it together

Silas Redd RB Penn State 2013

Not an elite prospect, certaintly a guy to keep an eye on though. Hes not a burner,but is very quick and elusive.

Andre Debose WR Florida- I dont know why he has not gotten a shot yet REC YDS AVG LNG TD 15 423 28.2 80 4 He looks like a clone of Percy Harvin and Denarius Moore... Obviously thats a bit outrageous to make huge comparisons like that, but I think the kid has stardom written all over him
The guy is a huge playmaker, but he barely saw the field as a freshman under Meyer and still plays limited snaps. I have to believe that it has something to do with his ability to remember the playbook and execute his assignments.

Andre Debose WR Florida- I dont know why he has not gotten a shot yet REC YDS AVG LNG TD 15 423 28.2 80 4 He looks like a clone of Percy Harvin and Denarius Moore... Obviously thats a bit outrageous to make huge comparisons like that, but I think the kid has stardom written all over him
The guy is a huge playmaker, but he barely saw the field as a freshman under Meyer and still plays limited snaps. I have to believe that it has something to do with his ability to remember the playbook and execute his assignments.
Its gotta be something like that, he scored on 4 of his 15 catches lol. 28.2 yards per catch...thats insane. Only way a guy making that many plays stays on the sideline is if he cant understand the playbook.

I'm not sure when Sammy Watkins will come out but he should be at the top of all WR lists.
OMG, Sammy Watkins makes me drool, he's going to be incredible if he keeps developing. I'm hoping he's out in 2014, not sure I can wait another year for him to go pro. I will try everything I can to make sure I'm in a position to take him in all my leagues when he's available.

Debose is a beast athletically, but a midget mentally. I drafted him before his first season at Florida in one league, so I've been monitoring his progress. From what I gather there are some serious maturity/dedication issues there. Not hustling in practice. Not learning the playbook. Not "earning" his minutes.

But yea, you can't teach ability and Debose has it in droves. He'll make the NFL on raw talent alone. If he decides to commit himself, look out.

As for the other players, I think the top three 2013-2014 NFL WR prospects in college football are all in the Pac-12. Everybody knows about Robert Woods. Keenan Allen is a great player and would be a household name if he played on a team like Michigan or Alabama. Marqise Lee might be the best of the lot. He had over 1100 yards as a true freshman at USC and looks like he has the size/skill/athleticism package of a first round pick.

I like Dyer as the top RB in the 2013 class. I think he is a lot like Rashard Mendenhall. Not very nifty, but built like a rock with a rare combination of bulk and speed. I think Lattimore is a little bit more of a boom/bust proposition.

Other guys I'm looking at for next years WR and RB classes are Josh Boyce (TCU), Giovani Bernard (UNC), James White (Wisc), Paul Richardson (Colorado), Kenny Stills (Oklahoma), Stepfan Taylor (Stanford), and Spencer Ware (LSU).

As for the other players, I think the top three 2013-2014 NFL WR prospects in college football are all in the Pac-12. Everybody knows about Robert Woods. Keenan Allen is a great player and would be a household name if he played on a team like Michigan or Alabama. Marqise Lee might be the best of the lot. He had over 1100 yards as a true freshman at USC and looks like he has the size/skill/athleticism package of a first round pick. I like Dyer as the top RB in the 2013 class. I think he is a lot like Rashard Mendenhall. Not very nifty, but built like a rock with a rare combination of bulk and speed. I think Lattimore is a little bit more of a boom/bust proposition. Other guys I'm looking at for next years WR and RB classes are Josh Boyce (TCU), Giovani Bernard (UNC), James White (Wisc), Paul Richardson (Colorado), Kenny Stills (Oklahoma), Stepfan Taylor (Stanford), and Spencer Ware (LSU).
I think we've talked about this before, but I just don't see it at all with Dyer. Don't love his talent and he seems like a headcase. It sounds as though he won't play for Auburn next year. I'd assume that means he ends up in IAA or something so he can play for a year before the draft. I like Lattimore a lot better and don't see much risk at all of bust with him. But I'm guessing I won't change your mind on these 2.

I think we've talked about this before, but I just don't see it at all with Dyer. Don't love his talent and he seems like a headcase. It sounds as though he won't play for Auburn next year. I'd assume that means he ends up in IAA or something so he can play for a year before the draft.
What's this about? I haven't heard about any of this stuff? He's suspended from the bowl game possibly, and now this?

It doesn't look like a great class. I like Dyer, but there's not too much after him. Woods should be the #2, but he is not an elite prospect. I'm not familiar with any of the QBs besides Tyler Wilson yet. Lattimore is a solid prospect, but he's coming off an injury, and I thought he was overrated even before the injury.

It doesn't look like a great class. I like Dyer, but there's not too much after him. Woods should be the #2, but he is not an elite prospect. I'm not familiar with any of the QBs besides Tyler Wilson yet. Lattimore is a solid prospect, but he's coming off an injury, and I thought he was overrated even before the injury.
:goodposting: Personally, I dont like any of those guys either. We have been spoiled the past few years with the guys that have come out.

:goodposting: Personally, I dont like any of those guys either. We have been spoiled the past few years with the guys that have come out.
Classes don't often look great this far out. Players will emerge in the next year and things could change pretty drastically in a years time. Are are guys I like now.QB:T. Bray, TennT. Wilson, ArkA. Murray, GeogiaT. Boyd, ClemRB:Lattimore, S. Car.Dyer, AubA. Ellington, ClemE. Baker, MSUK. Hilliard, LSUM. Ford, LSUWR:R. Woods, USCJ. Hunter, TennK. Allen, CalM. Wilson, WSUStills, OklahomaR. Randle, LSU

Classes don't often look great this far out. Players will emerge in the next year and things could change pretty drastically in a years time. Are are guys I like now.QB:T. Bray, TennT. Wilson, ArkA. Murray, GeogiaT. Boyd, ClemRB:Lattimore, S. Car.Dyer, AubA. Ellington, ClemE. Baker, MSUK. Hilliard, LSUM. Ford, LSUWR:R. Woods, USCJ. Hunter, TennK. Allen, CalM. Wilson, WSUStills, OklahomaR. Randle, LSU
Edwin Baker is not even the best RB on his own college team right now. That would be LeVeon Bell. I also like Fitz Toussaint out of Michigan as one to watch.

I've been really impressed with Joseph Randle from Okla St. The spread certainly opens holes for him, but he's an ideal one cut runner and can really hit that hole with some zip.

Some RB's to keep an eye on:

Zac Stacy Vanderbilt

John White IV Utah

Ronnie Hillman San Diego State (already played last night)

Cierre Wood Notre Dame

Johnathan Franklin UCLA

Kenjon Barner Oregon

Dennis Johnson Arkansas

eligible for 2012 but probably won't declare

Knile Davis is a Jr. Do you think he plays another year to improve his stock after injury? From what I'm reading he has healed quickly. He was probably the best RB in the nation before getting hurt.

LSU WRs:

Reuben Randall is a junior but he will probably declare for the draft. Guy is a stud. LSU just doesn't throw much so he doesn't have the numbers.

Odell Beckum - true freshman WR. He will be a 1st day draft pick

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
Knile Davis is a Jr. Do you think he plays another year to improve his stock after injury? From what I'm reading he has healed quickly. He was probably the best RB in the nation before getting hurt.
What exactly do you mean by "he was probably the best RBI in the nation"? I know at the time of his injury he was very good and at the time he wasn't in the same league as Trent Richardson or Marcus Lattimore. Do you think he was/is better than them?

Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas might put up big numbers next year with Jarius Wright and Joe Adams leaving.

Eddie Lacy
Should be an interesting prospect. He's got nice size at 6'0"/225...surprisingly nimble and decent hands.His competition will be Jalston Fowler (245) and Dee Hart (190)...Fowler should be the late game/big lead battering ram and Hart a COP back.Alabama has two of the highest ranked RBs signed in HS, but true freshmen don't get much PT on this team.Lacy should have a big year.

What exactly do you mean by "he was probably the best RBI in the nation"? I know at the time of his injury he was very good and at the time he wasn't in the same league as Trent Richardson or Marcus Lattimore. Do you think he was/is better than them?
Yes, I think he was better than both before his injury.

My very early list:

QB:

Tyler Bray, Tennessee

Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Tajh Boyd, Clemson

RB:

Michael Dyer, Auburn

Knile Davis, Arkansas

WR:

Robert Woods, USC

Kenny Stills, Oklahoma

Keenan Allen, Cal
Ugh, I cannot wait for this guy to come out. Here's a few guys that I think are poised for huge breakouts if they get a shot next year (eligible in 2013 or 2014):

Melvin Gordon RB Wisc 2014

has the same style as Jamaal Charles, not as much speed but has a much bigger frame. Next stat hoarding RB in line for Wisconsin
Good call. I have several friends that attend Mendota Girdiron Club meetings. Beilama has said many times that if you think the stable of RBs looks good now, wait until these freshman make it up the depth chart. This refers to Gordon and Jeff Lewis.

Where would Sammy Watkins fit if he were coming out in 2013. Would he be ranked higher than Robert Woods? After hearin his story and seeing his clips he looks like the real deal.

Already polished, Barkley can add finishing touches as a senior

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

Analyst

Published: Dec. 22, 2011 at 06:41 p.m.

Updated: Dec. 23, 2011 at 10:33 a.m.

Matt Barkley's bypassing of the 2012 NFL Draft might have cost him millions in the short term, but the decision to spend another year at USC could make him the No. 1 pick in 2013.

Barkley already was listed as the third quarterback on my top 10 list of college quarterbacks and was highly regarded in the scouting community.

From a scout's perspective, Barkley is best described as a classic pocket passer with an extraordinary football IQ. He complements his superb instincts and awareness with a refined set of fundamentals that allows him to make all of the throws from the pocket. His pinpoint accuracy and ball placement is exceptional for a third-year player. He routinely places the ball within the strike zone of his intended target, which leads to valuable yardage after the catch. Against the blitz, he shows courage standing and delivering and is adept at hitting the hot read.

In looking at his flaws, I would point to his lack of elite arm strength and athleticism. He doesn't possess the big arm of a Jay Cutler or Matthew Stafford, but he is capable of making accurate deep throws due to his excellent anticipation and timing. As an athlete, he lacks the speed and quickness to make plays outside of the pocket as a runner, but is an accurate passer on the move capable of being effective on movement passes like bootlegs and waggle passes.

With another year to hone his skills as a passer and playmaker, Barkley will undoubtedly enter the preseason as the top quarterback prospect in a 2013 draft class that could include Florida State's E.J. Manuel, West Virginia's Geno Smith and Arkansas Tyler Wilson.

Here are some areas Barkley can work on in 2012 to cement his status as the top quarterback prospect:

Leadership

Barkley's decision to return to USC will provide scouts and coaches with another year to assess his leadership skills. He will enter the season regarded as the top quarterback in college football, and performing under those lofty expectations will give evaluators a glimpse at his ability to handle the pressure of being a franchise quarterback.

Much like Andrew Luck endured during his final season at Stanford, Barkley's performance will be critiqued on a weekly basis. Observers will scrutinize each and every throw, and the constant chatter regarding his game could affect his focus and performance. However, if he is able to thrive under the intense spotlight, scouts will certainly not questions his confidence, poise or mental toughness.

On the field, Barkley can display the leadership skills scouts covet by guiding a loaded USC squad into national championship contention. Although that would appear to be an easy task with an offensive lineup featuring the very talented Robert Woods and Marquise Lee at wide receiver, Barkley's ability to maximize those talents and while managing the game would cement his status as a leader.

Game Management

Playing quarterback as a pro is more mental than physical. The best at the position are able to defeat opponents with their ability to decipher coverage prior to the snap and make the right adjustment to exploit the defense. While Barkley has certainly demonstrated this trait during his time at USC, he could still improve significantly in this area.

From making the proper audible against the blitz to switching sides of a designated run play to better exploit a numerical advantage at the point of attack, Barkley can continue to develop his football acumen to become an exceptional quarterback from a mental standpoint. Lane Kiffin can further his development by granting him more freedom at the line of scrimmage to prepare him for the next level. For instance, Andrew Luck started calling some of his own plays during the last half of the season at Stanford, which undoubtedly will make him better prepared to run the game from the line of scrimmage as a pro. If Kiffin gave Barkley more ownership of the play calls and adjustments, he could give his star quarterback invaluable experience that will help him make a smooth transition to the pro game.

Outside of expanding his football knowledge, Barkley can continue to improve his decisions within the pocket. Although his touchdown-to-interception ratio was exceptional (39 touchdowns against only seven picks), he can take his game to another level by learning to utilize all of the options within the route to put further stress on the defense. Part of the reason Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees have been consistently productive despite facing a myriad of defensive tactics has been their ability to identify and target the open checkdown. If Barkley can develop and refine this skill as a collegian, he will enter the league as a more polished player than many of his counterparts.

Anticipation

Barkley is one of the most accomplished passers in college football, but his arm strength and athleticism doesn't rate superior based on pro standards. To compensate for his perceived deficiencies, he has to demonstrate exceptional instincts and awareness for the position.

While Matthew Stafford and Michael Vick are able to rely on their extraordinary physical gifts to make up for late reads, Barkley must be able to win with his ability to anticipate open windows. He must master the art of throwing his receivers open with pinpoint tosses routinely delivered before his receivers come out of their breaks. In addition, he has to continue to develop a sense of awareness that allows him to deliver balls into the open areas of coverage before his receiver run through the zone.

Quarterbacks like Matt Ryan and Eli Manning are able to thrive in this manner, so Barkley can certainly be an exceptional player at the next level if he masters that skill.

Yes, I think he was better than both before his injury.
Here's another on the boat of "he looked better than both before his injury."

Justin Hunter & Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee.

Hunter is an A.J. Green / Randy Moss type receiver. Hunter will be coming back in 2012 from an ACL tear so I'm curious to see how he looks compared to pre-injury. He was down right sick in 2010 and early 2011, pretty much unstoppable. Da'Rick is more Anquan Boldin / Greg Little type. Da'Rick is one of those frustrating players that drops the easiest balls, but then makes some insane catches and is very physical after the catch. He dominated Honey Badger this year in Neyland after the punk talked smack all week about how he would hold DR catch less.

Don't roast me. I am not saying these two are as good or will have the same careers as those pros I compared them to, just giving you some insight to their game.

Justin Hunter & Da'Rick Rogers, Tennessee.Hunter is an A.J. Green / Randy Moss type receiver. Hunter will be coming back in 2012 from an ACL tear so I'm curious to see how he looks compared to pre-injury. He was down right sick in 2010 and early 2011, pretty much unstoppable. Da'Rick is more Anquan Boldin / Greg Little type. Da'Rick is one of those frustrating players that drops the easiest balls, but then makes some insane catches and is very physical after the catch. He dominated Honey Badger this year in Neyland after the punk talked smack all week about how he would hold DR catch less.Don't roast me. I am not saying these two are as good or will have the same careers as those pros I compared them to, just giving you some insight to their game.
True freshman WR Malcolm Mitchell (6-1 184) at UGA is better than either of those guys. Watch for him vs Mich St. Jan 2. He was an elite prospect at DB before switching to WR his senior year, where he was dominant. Along with true soph LB Alec Ogletree, he's at the top of the (long) NFL prospect list at UGA.

Michael Dyer has transferred to Arkansas State.
AU officials are denying it. It was originally sent out via social media from 2 separate ASU players (other sites reported). May take a few days to confirm or deny.

Dynasty owners, if you need a QB, get him this year. Luck, RG3, hell both, but get them now. The well's dry for some time after these two go.

Keenan Allen reminds me of Dez with his size and after catch skills. Looks thicker than 205.

Users who are viewing this thread