What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brother is a serial Killer (1 Viewer)

My brother's attorney, Kirk Osborn (the same one that represented the Duke Lacrosse players), had told my family that the large amounts of DNA that the prosecutor claimed to have was actually only a speck.
FWIW, I've met this guy at a seminar, attended a presentation of his, and can say he seems like a very competent attorney.
I still love that this was the second reply in the thread. A woz parody account could not have written something so perfect. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Reactions: SWC
My brother's attorney, Kirk Osborn (the same one that represented the Duke Lacrosse players), had told my family that the large amounts of DNA that the prosecutor claimed to have was actually only a speck.
FWIW, I've met this guy at a seminar, attended a presentation of his, and can say he seems like a very competent attorney.
I still love that this was the second reply in the thread. A woz parody account could not have written something so perfect. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
redundant

I just found this thread and am working through it thoroughly. I'm on page 2. I feel like someone who just found out about the show Breaking Bad and has the whole thing stretched out in front of them, waiting to be enjoyed.

I hadn't thought about this thread for a very long time till today.

My girlfriend asked me to stop by her business to pick up today's deposits. I glance down at the bundle of cash and checks she hands me. Almost dropping them on the floor as wave of emotion and shock crashes over me. Staring back at me, on the top of the stack, is a check with the last name Huismann. The address, Newaygo, Michigan.

"Huismann..." I stammer "That's the one....in Lansing....it's the same town. You were face-to-face with..."

My girlfriends eyes go wide as she realizes what I'm trying to say and blurts out "SO WERE YOU!"

Today, a man held a door open for a woman. A simple courtesy. By the brother of the man that killed her daughter.

Wait, the mom of your brother's victim was the check writer?
Yes.

She was leaving as I was coming in and I held the door open for her. It wasn't till after that I knew who she was.

Newaygo is about 3 hours from where I live, Hence the surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remind me again why the workplace decided to keep a suspected serial killer on the payroll? They couldn't come up with probable cause to fire the guy? Couldn't they get a blood draw for a drug test?
From the book about the investigation, my brother's boss thought her actions in helping the police would clear my brother as a suspect. I think the police let her believe that they wanted to eliminate my brother as a suspect. The two detectives on the case were locked in on him. Even after the DNA from the water bottle didn't match the DNA from the crime scene. The detective's superior urged them to move on to other leads when that happened. But they asked the question "Did anyone actually see Drew drink from the bottle?" They hadn't, they only saw him throw it away.

So he wasn't fired because the managers at his job thought he was innocent. Later on, I suppose it was so they could help to catch him. Also they may not have had grounds to fire him. Suspicion of a crime probably isn't grounds for firing someone.

I'd like to know if the mom went forward with the lawsuit........Hey I'm suing you for letting my son who killed people kill himself.
The original attorney that urged my mother to go through with the wrongful death suit has been disbarred for reasons not related to my mom's lawsuit. That attorney was the one that was trying to get a large dollar amount. The arrangement he'd work for no money upfront and take a cut of any settlement or award by the court.

After that guy was disbarred, my mom hired an attorney. That attorney eventually refunded her money and declined the case because he realized how high profile the criminal case was and was afraid of negative publicity.

Most recently the case has been taken on by someone that works for the state of North Carolina. I forget if it's the Public Defender, Attorney General or someone like that. It's someone that works for the state that looks out for violations of prisoner's right. Kind of like the Department of Internal Affairs for the police, but this guy does that with prisons. With that case, my mom is seeking restitution for funeral expenses. That's what she was seeking the entire time, but the previous attorneys would only take the case if they could go after a bigger sum.

Last I'd heard is that the state has admitted to some negligence or fault (I don't know the exact legal term they used). They are waiting till the new state budget passes before they hold hearings on the amount of damages that will be awarded.

"Hey I'm suing you for letting my son who killed people kill himself." The thing is, in our legal system you're not allowed to do this. My mom's an attorney so naturally she's going to seek legal justice. She's not trying to lessen the evil my brother did. She just feels the personnel of the prison are obligated to keep those under it's charge as safe as they can. They failed to do that.

I'd like to know if the mom went forward with the lawsuit........Hey I'm suing you for letting my son who killed people kill himself.
The original attorney that urged my mother to go through with the wrongful death suit has been disbarred for reasons not related to my mom's lawsuit. That attorney was the one that was trying to get a large dollar amount. The arrangement he'd work for no money upfront and take a cut of any settlement or award by the court.

After that guy was disbarred, my mom hired an attorney. That attorney eventually refunded her money and declined the case because he realized how high profile the criminal case was and was afraid of negative publicity.

Most recently the case has been taken on by someone that works for the state of North Carolina. I forget if it's the Public Defender, Attorney General or someone like that. It's someone that works for the state that looks out for violations of prisoner's right. Kind of like the Department of Internal Affairs for the police, but this guy does that with prisons. With that case, my mom is seeking restitution for funeral expenses. That's what she was seeking the entire time, but the previous attorneys would only take the case if they could go after a bigger sum.

Last I'd heard is that the state has admitted to some negligence or fault (I don't know the exact legal term they used). They are waiting till the new state budget passes before they hold hearings on the amount of damages that will be awarded.

"Hey I'm suing you for letting my son who killed people kill himself." The thing is, in our legal system you're not allowed to do this. My mom's an attorney so naturally she's going to seek legal justice. She's not trying to lessen the evil my brother did. She just feels the personnel of the prison are obligated to keep those under it's charge as safe as they can. They failed to do that.
Any update on your mother's progress?

This was one of the best tales in FFA lore.

Fascinating thread. I follow true crime, read lots of books, and watch true crime shows all the time. I am fascinated by serial killers. I'm not sure why but they are very interesting subjects to read about. T&P to the OP, amazing how you have handled this whole experience and your willingness to talk about it.

Any update on your mother's progress?

This was one of the best tales in FFA lore.
Still on going. NC doesn't seem to be putting up much of a legal fight, mostly seems they are stalling things. It's either they are dragging it out hoping that my mom will drop the suit or they are worried of the political repercussions when it gets out that they settled the suit.

Interesting seeing links to this thread being posted not long ago on another.

The "yellow pills" the person from that thread assumes are alprazolam. Alprazolam is for treatment for anxiety. It's possible that they were alprazolam. But they weren't for Drew, they were for his dog that tended to get nauseated when taking long trips in the car. Around Thanksgiving and Christmas time my mom would pick Drew and his dog up and bring them back to Michigan or to NJ for a week or two. That's why he had those pills.

Person also mentions Vermont and the North East. I believe he's confusing that with time Drew spent in Oregon on a project involving salmon. There was some kind of issue with Drew and his peers. One where the supervisor felt the need to move Drew from the communal men's cabin, to one of his own or to the one the supervisor lived in. It was never clear what the story was. Drew claimed that the he spent a lot of time with the women he worked with and the men were jealous.

Sounds like bull#### to me. As socially awkward as Drew was I can't imagine that he goes to Oregon an becomes a "player". I suspect he was creeping the women out. May have been caught or suspected of peeping or just doing other suspicious stuff. So the guys at the camp were probably threatening to kick his ###.

People seem to want to make something out of the dog's name being "Vain". It's simply a character from Drew's favorite series of books. http://unbeliever.wikia.com/wiki/Vain

Notes of state of NC investigation.

[SIZE=14pt]Date: 10/31/2006 09:40 AM Staff: LAURA Topic: DOCTOR CONTACT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]1O/31/2006-- Telephone conf with Neal & Laura and Dr Aytch:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]When Drew was arrested, he was taken to Central Prison due to his psychological issues.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]In ref to Drew Planten: Dr Aytch had only seen Drew a few times although he was Chief Psychologist at the inpatient psychiatric dept and should be rotating among all the floors-- but at the time Drew was in Central prison the jail was short on psychologists so Dr Aycth was talking care of a single floor at that time, but he was still supervising the psychologists on Drew's floor)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Previously, the mental hospital at Central prison had a great deal of influence on their dept as everything was done in house.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] Due to the hospital admin-- Bennie Lang-- the mental hospital lost their [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]autonomy therefore losing the ability to make their own decisions and losing a certain amount of their influence which led to a lot of wrong doing and broken rules which put the psychologists at risk as they [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]were not able to do the right thing. the consequence was a trend to disregard the rules and privileges towards psychiatric patients.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Drew was in a severe psychological condition at the time to the extent that he was not responding to anything people were saying in court or in the jail-[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]- his unresponsiveness in the prison was looked upon as an infraction-- as he was not obeying orders-- which led him to 90 days of solitary[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]confinement called Condition of Confinement (COC).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Drew was suffering from acute stress reaction where he gradually became unresponsive. He gradually became more responsive with the nurses and started eating again-- Drew was a perfect candidate for SUSPENSION of his COC. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]At that time the warden was not considering any Suspensions of the COC-- he went as far as saying that no one should even bother to submit any[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Requests as he will not even look at them or consider them. -- (he believed that severe punishment was the solution for wrong doing and that was the way to prevent recurrences) . [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]NOTE: Drew was not aware he was eligible for this, but Dr [/SIZE]Aycth[SIZE=14pt] felt he was the perfect candidate for the suspension of the coc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Another note is that anyone in solitary confinement is allowed 1 hour to get out of the cell to go outside and to shower-- well they were not following that either.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Drew was hardly allowed 15 minutes to go and shower and to return to his cell-- he even asked the nurses if he could have some more time to stay out as he felt the walls were getting smaller-- but the jail staff refused-- that was a well known major break in the rule there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Well after Drew was showing improvement and becoming more interactive-- his condition started to decline due to the fact that he was not able to get out of his cell (the major issues with psychiatric patients is the lack of stimulation -- therefore that hour outside the cell is vital). Nothing was done [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]about his decline.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]They then later found him dead in his cell.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The SBI came to investigate, but never interviewed Dr Acyth even though he was the chief psychologist. He found that strange. Dr Acyth said he thought he was hired to bring about good changes in Central Prison-- but was getting written up for the things he was doing to improve the department and for wanting to train the nurses.He later quit and is teaching at CCU.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Chief Psychologist is Gordon Lavin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]One of the nurses that dealt with Drew is Maria[/SIZE]

It sounds like policies weren't being followed in that prison... not honestly surprising, but still sad and something that should be resolved and prevented from happening again.

I think of this thread every time I see one of the 48 hours-type crime shows on TV.

I hope you are doing well Netnalp.

just trying to help the guy out.
I think he's maybe wondering why you busted out the first name shtick to begin with.
I recently watched a programme on your brother Drew and then found these posts so wanted to ask a couple of questions. I know your first name Netnap so can you tell me why you said your brother ‘was an easy target’ when you were interviewed and seemed to defend him? Especially as you say you were t shocked to find out he killed someone. Also you explained why he hid his DNA and I saw the the programme and how far he went to do this but why did this not convince your family he was guilty? I see everyone has said you should write a book etc andI don t know  if you have done this I know you have been through a lot but I think this is keeping his notoriety going his victims deserve better than him to be remembered and it’s unfair for their families to go through this again.  I as a mother of 3 boys would do anything for my children but if I had found a mattress with blood on it in one of their cars I would have dragged it to the police station myself and confronted my child, personally I think she knew he had done something bad but as a mother she didn’t want to face up to that. Maybe if she had pushed it then the known murders wouldn’t have happened. 

Thank you for sharing. How is your family doing and what do you think about your mom suing the prison? Whatever came of that?

The "yellow pills" the person from that thread assumes are alprazolam. Alprazolam is for treatment for anxiety. It's possible that they were alprazolam. But they weren't for Drew, they were for his dog that tended to get nauseated when taking long trips in the car. Around Thanksgiving and Christmas time my mom would pick Drew and his dog up and bring them back to Michigan or to NJ for a week or two. That's why he had those pills.

Person also mentions Vermont and the North East. I believe he's confusing that with time Drew spent in Oregon on a project involving salmon. There was some kind of issue with Drew and his peers. One where the supervisor felt the need to move Drew from the communal men's cabin, to one of his own or to the one the supervisor lived in. It was never clear what the story was. Drew claimed that the he spent a lot of time with the women he worked with and the men were jealous.

Sounds like bull#### to me. As socially awkward as Drew was I can't imagine that he goes to Oregon an becomes a "player". I suspect he was creeping the women out. May have been caught or suspected of peeping or just doing other suspicious stuff. So the guys at the camp were probably threatening to kick his ###.

People seem to want to make something out of the dog's name being "Vain". It's simply a character from Drew's favorite series of books. http://unbeliever.wikia.com/wiki/Vain
Hey netnalp.
I've been reading everything you've said on here. You're remarkable. Truly admire your honesty. I've read the evil next door book and watched programmes about your brother.
Just wondered about what you said about when drew went to oregon. Did anyone ever come forward and tell the real story of why he was moved to a different cabin? You only have drews side of the story on that and I just wondered if anyone else that was there ever shed any light on the subject?

just trying to help the guy out.
I think he's maybe wondering why you busted out the first name shtick to begin with.
I recently watched a programme on your brother Drew and then found these posts so wanted to ask a couple of questions. I know your first name Netnap so can you tell me why you said your brother ‘was an easy target’ when you were interviewed and seemed to defend him? Especially as you say you were t shocked to find out he killed someone. Also you explained why he hid his DNA and I saw the the programme and how far he went to do this but why did this not convince your family he was guilty? I see everyone has said you should write a book etc andI don t know if you have done this I know you have been through a lot but I think this is keeping his notoriety going his victims deserve better than him to be remembered and it’s unfair for their families to go through this again. I as a mother of 3 boys would do anything for my children but if I had found a mattress with blood on it in one of their cars I would have dragged it to the police station myself and confronted my child, personally I think she knew he had done something bad but as a mother she didn’t want to face up to that. Maybe if she had pushed it then the known murders wouldn’t have happened.
1) Why did I say Drew was an Easy target?

Imagine the circumstances that my mother and I were in at that time. It's only been a few days since he'd been arrested. Your sources of information are from police, reporters and the defense attorney. Police hold press reports and don't give you any additional information other than the prison he's being held at and where we could pick up his dog.

The reporters. They're the ones that break the news to you that your family member has been arrested for murders. They do this to get that shocked, unprepared response. After that, they feign empathy and tell you that they're there to listen an be a support. Not in the mood to talk and unsure if we should, we declined initial interview requests. The reporters respond with, "Ok, that doesn't leave us much choice but to go talking to all your neighbors. If you want to talk, our vans will be parked in front of your house when you're ready." So you pretty much don't trust what they tell you.

The defense attorney. His primary goal is to defend Drew the best he can. So he's telling us all the holes in the case. That his experts reviewed the DNA evidence and there wasn't enough of a sample to get a match. And that from the time the sample was collected to when Drew was arrested, there wasn't enough time for the DNA test to have been conducted. Was he lying to us? We didn't know if he was maybe. Or perhaps to his knowledge what he was telling us was true. He probably held some info back too. Understandable, because he needed us to be hopeful that this was all a mistake.

"Easy target". I've never done an interview, and the pressure is pretty high under these circumstances. The thought actually came from the attorney. I wasn't coached per se. The morning before the interview the attorney said essentially that, how Drew was very quiet and a bit odd looking being so thin and with the long hair. So under the pressure, I fell back on the narrative that the attorney was giving us.

2) Why wasn't I convinced of his guilt?

You're basing that assumption on the interview it seems. That was a few days after the arrest. We didn't have all the information. When did I start to think that he was guilty? It's been so long ago. Sometimes I think it was 4-6 weeks after the arrest. But, it may have been 2-3 months after. I know it was before he killed himself, that my thoughts had changed to "He did it." I kept it to myself. I've never discussed that with my family, when each of us came to the conclusion of guilt. For me, it wasn't like we'd gotten any new information that confirmed it for me. The defense attorney, was the conduit for info and he'd downplay anything that came out. There just came a point where I felt if Drew was innocent there should be some big unexplained whole in the story or some major conflicting evidence.

3) A book?

I don't think about writing a book about this.

4) The mattress in the trunk of the car?

My brother killed himself in January. It wasn't till the following summer that his possessions were released to my mother. Another year or so till she came across the keys to the car that had the mattress in the trunk. That car had been in her garage for 15 some years prior. Drew never took it with him when he moved to North Carolina. When she found the mattress, she probably thought about the "trophys" I found in the video game console box that the police seemed to have no interest in.

5) Mother having knowledge that he did wrong or was up to something? Could have prevented crimes?

I don't feel you're being fair. Yes, my mom found out when Drew lived at home that he had been mail ordering porn. She said she was going to open his packages from then on. She confronted him when the dial-up internet got billed by porn sites he was looking at. He would leave in the evening and not come back till early in the morning. He'd said he was shopping bargain bins for video games at all the different Walmarts and other 24 hour retailers. He had a huge collection of video games. She didn't know he'd bought firearms.

Over the years, she saw how he was socially isolated and awkward. She spoke to him about getting therapy or talking a counselor. She offered to pay for it. He could have gotten help free at college. He wasn't doing drugs. He didn't have a criminal past. He was quiet, very shy, that prevented him from making friends. He had many friends in New Jersey as a kid and a, early teen. My mom, being a preachers daughter, moved around a lot and knew the difficulties of making friends in a new school, in another state.

So all she and I knew was he was socially awkward and liked porn. It's a big stretch to expect that would lead to suspicions of criminal behavior. Also consider how long he'd been able to stay off the police's radar. And then foiled there investigations into him for years once he became a suspect. Those are trained professionals. Consider all the young men that have done mass shootings with guns owned or provided by the parent. They were all a bit weird, but the parents didn't think it was "go on a killing spree weird". Every male has experienced in school some kid that "drops trough" at the urinal. They're probably not a sexual deviant. Just a weird kid.

Thank you for sharing. How is your family doing and what do you think about your mom suing the prison? Whatever came of that?
I don't think much happened with that. Last I heard, several years ago an attorney was trying to bring about a class action lawsuit to prompt prison reform. So it was going to be bundled in with dozens of other cases.

Hey netnalp.
I've been reading everything you've said on here. You're remarkable. Truly admire your honesty. I've read the evil next door book and watched programmes about your brother.
Just wondered about what you said about when drew went to oregon. Did anyone ever come forward and tell the real story of why he was moved to a different cabin? You only have drews side of the story on that and I just wondered if anyone else that was there ever shed any light on the subject?
I haven't heard any first hand accounts from others that were at that camp.

The reporters. They're the ones that break the news to you that your family member has been arrested for murders. They do this to get that shocked, unprepared response. After that, they feign empathy and tell you that they're there to listen an be a support. Not in the mood to talk and unsure if we should, we declined initial interview requests. The reporters respond with, "Ok, that doesn't leave us much choice but to go talking to all your neighbors. If you want to talk, our vans will be parked in front of your house when you're ready." So you pretty much don't trust what they tell you.
this is absolutely infuriating

"if you don't talk to us, we're going to make up a narrative and paint your family/you in a disfavorable light to pressure you in to talking". freaking disgusting.

Also, I believe I've mentioned it previously in the thread, but it bears repeating. Before throwing disparaging remarks towards my mother. Making assumptions of the type of person and parent she is. Consider, that 30 years ago, well before any of my brother's crimes, my mother created a domestic abuse charity/shelter. It wasn't a case that she was physically abused by my father either. She did it because that's the type of person she is.

https://sireneatonshelter.org

P.S. A big FU to the person that embezzled hundreds of thousand of dollars from that charity in May of this year.

@netnalp - thanks for the updates. I hope you are doing well and moving on with life.
Thank you. Yes, I'm doing good.

Appreciate you sharing.

My brother, you [are] one resilient dude. Kudos for enduring all the crap that life has thrown your way. I just cannot even fathom going through 1/10th of the stuff you have and coming out the other side being anything close to the man you are.

I'm kind of blown away and honestly don't know what to say, but my strongest reaction so far is "HTF is this guy so normal with the b.s. he has gone through?" Glad to hear you are doing well, and thanks for checking in here again.

Last edited:
Also, I believe I've mentioned it previously in the thread, but it bears repeating. Before throwing disparaging remarks towards my mother. Making assumptions of the type of person and parent she is. Consider, that 30 years ago, well before any of my brother's crimes, my mother created a domestic abuse charity/shelter. It wasn't a case that she was physically abused by my father either. She did it because that's the type of person she is.

https://sireneatonshelter.org

P.S. A big FU to the person that embezzled hundreds of thousand of dollars from that charity in May of this year.

Yeah your mom seems like an amazing person. Sorry to hear the postscript, but her legacy should be the good she added to this world. My mom has been gone 12 years, and I am so lucky to have raised by someone who was also a force for good. Not sure what the second half of thread has in store when I finish it later, but she's a hero in my book.

You are, too @netnalp - I've read enough already to know you are a good soul. Given the family history you shared going back a couple generations, that is a miracle and the most wholesome thing about this incredible thread.

this is absolutely infuriating

"if you don't talk to us, we're going to make up a narrative and paint your family/you in a disfavorable light to pressure you in to talking". freaking disgusting.
The older I get, the more I know, the more I have no respect for American news media or 'journalism'. They have been revered for so long as arbiters of truth but it is one of the scummiest professions that exists. Things like this spotlight that.

Users who are viewing this thread