What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Incredibly deep sleepers for next year (1 Viewer)

Portis 26

Madden Freak
Here are a few players who should be very widely available on waivers in dynasty leagues who have a chance, however slight, of being significant contributors next year. If you have a free roster space for them, they might be worth stashing.

Julian Edelman - WR, NE. It all hinges on whether they re-sign Welker. Everyone is assuming they will, but the Patriots can be a bit funny with older players. Edelman produced well when shoved into Welker's slot role a couple of years ago when he got hurt and basically is Welker Lite. If Welker goes then Edelman could easily catch 70-80 passes next year.

Anthony Gonzalez - WR, Ind. I know he hasn't done anything for years, but hear me out. Wayne will not be re-signed. It looks like Peyton could come back. If Peyton does come back and Wayne goes then Gonzalez has a chance to stick because he's a Manning favorite, and indeed could start in Wayne's place.

Austin Collie - WR, Ind. He will be a bit less available in most leagues but should be free in some. He has great production with Manning but has had very limited success without him. If Peyton comes back so does his value.

Montario Hardesty - RB, Cle. Won't be available in that many leagues either but it looks pretty clear that the Browns will let Hillis go in the off-season in which case Hardesty is the de facto starter.

Chad Ochocinco - WR, NE. So he's had a nightmare in NE. He may not quite be done yet, however, and if he is picked up by another team in the off-season, could have value. He is on waivers in many leagues.

Kahlil Bell - RB, Chi. Is just beginning to emerge. While they should re-sign Forte they haven't done so yet, and if they don't, then he could be the guy.

Kyle Orton - QB, KC. Looks like he could win the job from Cassel in the off-season and could have reasonable value throwing to Bowe, Baldwin and Breaston next year.

Earl Bennett - WR, Chi. Was out early this year, had some real nice production with Cutler, lapsed into obscurity when Cutler got hurt. Could be a force next season when Cutler is back.

Marcus Easley - WR, Buf. He was being labelled a 'beast' before getting hurt. Someone has to start opposite Steve Johnson in a relatively productive Bills passing offense.

Evan Royster - RB, Was. Watch him go this weekend. Just have a feeling about him next year. He had a very good college career (so good he was the top RB prospect in college according to a preview mag I was reading from a couple of years ago).

great list.

even though these threads come up often - I love them.

I agree with just about everyone on your list except:

Ocho - he's done.

Bennett - he is a better NFL WR than he is fantasy WR.

Bell - if Forte is let go then the Bears will add another back.

I also think that Welker sticks.

-------------

add Riley Cooper - i think Jackson already has one foot out of the door.

Marcus Easley - WR, Buf. He was being labelled a 'beast' before getting hurt. Someone has to start opposite Steve Johnson in a relatively productive Bills passing offense.
Good news - Marcus has been cleared to play next season after missing 2011 with a heart ailment.Here

Would love to see this guy healthy and competing this summer.

great list. even though these threads come up often - I love them.I agree with just about everyone on your list except:Ocho - he's done.Bennett - he is a better NFL WR than he is fantasy WR.Bell - if Forte is let go then the Bears will add another back.I also think that Welker sticks.-------------add Riley Cooper - i think Jackson already has one foot out of the door.
In most dynasty leagues most of those guys are gone but Royster and Bell probably aren't. I'd add, Housler TE and Pitta TE in Baltimore.

Good list but several if not most are not what I would necessarily call "incredibly deep" sleepers.

Chastin West Jax

Tori Gurley GB

Those two more closely define "incredibly deep sleeper" to me.

How bout darell Scott nyg? Bradshaws foot ailments aren't going to get better with time, Jacobs will be gone, and Danny ware is an avg talent. Scott has the size and speed to perhaps bust out in that offense if given the opportunity.

Also let's not forget about both of those NE TBA Ridley and vereen although they are both probably owned.

Taiwan jones - has McFadden ever played a full 16 game season???

Greg little - not an incredibly deep or even deep sleeper but definitely going into 2012 undervalued IF the browns can add a quality qb. We caught a glimpse of his potential with Seneca Wallace throwing him the rock this past Sunday. What a difference a qb who can throw further than a 5 yd out can make!!

David gettis, car - he was looking good before he went down this year.

Here are a few players who should be very widely available on waivers in dynasty leagues who have a chance, however slight, of being significant contributors next year. If you have a free roster space for them, they might be worth stashing.Julian Edelman - WR, NE. It all hinges on whether they re-sign Welker. Everyone is assuming they will, but the Patriots can be a bit funny with older players. Edelman produced well when shoved into Welker's slot role a couple of years ago when he got hurt and basically is Welker Lite. If Welker goes then Edelman could easily catch 70-80 passes next year.Anthony Gonzalez - WR, Ind. I know he hasn't done anything for years, but hear me out. Wayne will not be re-signed. It looks like Peyton could come back. If Peyton does come back and Wayne goes then Gonzalez has a chance to stick because he's a Manning favorite, and indeed could start in Wayne's place.Austin Collie - WR, Ind. He will be a bit less available in most leagues but should be free in some. He has great production with Manning but has had very limited success without him. If Peyton comes back so does his value.Montario Hardesty - RB, Cle. Won't be available in that many leagues either but it looks pretty clear that the Browns will let Hillis go in the off-season in which case Hardesty is the de facto starter.Chad Ochocinco - WR, NE. So he's had a nightmare in NE. He may not quite be done yet, however, and if he is picked up by another team in the off-season, could have value. He is on waivers in many leagues.Kahlil Bell - RB, Chi. Is just beginning to emerge. While they should re-sign Forte they haven't done so yet, and if they don't, then he could be the guy.Kyle Orton - QB, KC. Looks like he could win the job from Cassel in the off-season and could have reasonable value throwing to Bowe, Baldwin and Breaston next year.Earl Bennett - WR, Chi. Was out early this year, had some real nice production with Cutler, lapsed into obscurity when Cutler got hurt. Could be a force next season when Cutler is back.Marcus Easley - WR, Buf. He was being labelled a 'beast' before getting hurt. Someone has to start opposite Steve Johnson in a relatively productive Bills passing offense. Evan Royster - RB, Was. Watch him go this weekend. Just have a feeling about him next year. He had a very good college career (so good he was the top RB prospect in college according to a preview mag I was reading from a couple of years ago).
Edelman could very well have the biggest jump in production from 2011 to 2012 in all of the NFL (at any position). I don't believe it's anywhere near a lock that Welker resigns.Even if he does, Edelman is worth a roster spot in dynasty leagues. The fast progress he's made from college QB to WR is astounding. Edelman is also a tremendous athlete, as seen by his many roles with the Pats. He likely won't come cheap now, but if you can get him in a multi-player deal or something, Edelman is the perfect high-ceiling stash, IMO.

How bout darell Scott nyg? Bradshaws foot ailments aren't going to get better with time, Jacobs will be gone, and Danny ware is an avg talent. Scott has the size and speed to perhaps bust out in that offense if given the opportunity. Also let's not forget about both of those NE TBA Ridley and vereen although they are both probably owned. Taiwan jones - has McFadden ever played a full 16 game season???Greg little - not an incredibly deep or even deep sleeper but definitely going into 2012 undervalued IF the browns can add a quality qb. We caught a glimpse of his potential with Seneca Wallace throwing him the rock this past Sunday. What a difference a qb who can throw further than a 5 yd out can make!!David gettis, car - he was looking good before he went down this year.
I thought Scott might have a chance when Bradshaw got hurt, but Coughlin is notorious for giving veterans the edge (meaning Ware). And while Scott hasn't looked that great with the few touches he's been given, this kid has a lot of potential. We'll likely know much more next training camp.

I don't think that Hardesty will be that good of a grab as I'm a believer that Trent Richardson will be a Browns RB next season.

Wes Welker is not going anywhere. 100% chance he gets franchised if he does not get a new contract before the start of next season.

I don't think that Hardesty will be that good of a grab as I'm a believer that Trent Richardson will be a Browns RB next season.
And if it isn't Richardson it'll be another RB in the 2nd/3rd probably. I don't think they have much faith in Hardesty at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is forte possibly not on the bears next year?
If he refuses to report when they franchise tag him because he's fishing for a signing bonus the size of the franchise tag with a healthy yearly contract on top of that. I don't think either side would be the bad guy in that scenario btw. In the NFL a RB is in his prime for such a short time I don't blame Forte for wanting to cash in on what is likely his one shot for a big contract. But that's exactly the same reason I wouldn't blame the the Bears for not wanting to invest too much. If TEN had to do it over again do you think they would have given CJ his big extension?

Wes Welker is not going anywhere. 100% chance he gets franchised if he does not get a new contract before the start of next season.
I don't know about 100%, but even if Welker resigns, one reason I'll continue to be bullish on Edelman is because he'll eventually have Welker's job, IMO (one way or another).

I don't know about 100%, but even if Welker resigns, one reason I'll continue to be bullish on Edelman is because he'll eventually have Welker's job, IMO (one way or another).
If Edelman ends up taking Welker's job, would he be worth as much if Brady and BB were gone?Edelman was rumored to be one of the last players to make the team out of camp this year. While he has been as versatile as they come, he hasn't exactly forced his way into the lineup as a WR the past two years. He's a decent back up, but I am not sure he will be around for years and years or if he would be a big producer post Brady. For teams with tons of roster room, he's worth a stash, but for smaller rosters I don't think he will do much any time soon.

There's a Wes Welker clone in next year's draft: Devon Wylie. Might run a 4.3 40, great after catch, and dangerous punt returner. If the Pats take him, pounce on him.

If Edelman ends up taking Welker's job, would he be worth as much if Brady and BB were gone?Edelman was rumored to be one of the last players to make the team out of camp this year. While he has been as versatile as they come, he hasn't exactly forced his way into the lineup as a WR the past two years. He's a decent back up, but I am not sure he will be around for years and years or if he would be a big producer post Brady. For teams with tons of roster room, he's worth a stash, but for smaller rosters I don't think he will do much any time soon.
It looks like we may have a vastly different view of Edelman's receiving ability/potential, but I believe he's one of the best "unknown" quantities in the NFL. I also like the Pats' future at QB with Ryan Mallett.

There's a Wes Welker clone in next year's draft: Devon Wylie. Might run a 4.3 40, great after catch, and dangerous punt returner. If the Pats take him, pounce on him.
Wow, thought I was one of the only guys aware of this kid. Although he reminds me a little more of Jacoby Ford than Welker, he could definitely develop into a Welker clone.

Man I was so excited for Easley when he had that one big preseason game. Thought he finally won the #2 spot, hopefully he gets his chance next year. Here's a bunch of guys I've been intrigued with in all of my leagues:

Bilal Powell: Pretty much just riding my 2011 scouting of him since he's barely been active for the Jets. But LT is probably gone next year so that's a big opportunity. Plus I heard rumblings of Rex thinking Joe McKnight would be a great CB, I wonder how serious he is about that.

Anthony Allen: Just playing the depth chart/opporunity game. Doubt Ricky will come back next year.

Johnny White: I liked him coming out this year so much that I forgot about that Fred Jackson guy. Really thought White would have a big role this year. Either way, FJax isn't exactly young so he's worth a flier.

Randal Cobb: Obvious choice but if he's available he needs to be scooped up. Driver's last year? Either way I don't see James Jones or Driver holding him back. I think he'll be cutting into Jordy's playing time sooner than later.

Jordan Cameron: (TE Browns) Watson's getting up there and Cameron has some good skills from some of the scouting I've heard.

Dane Sanzenbacher: His numbers aren't great so I'm sure he's available. Plus Cutler's hurt, year 2 + a better QB his stock will be way higher than it is now.

Kyle Rudolph: Shiancoe's last year I think? Everyone compares him to Witten but if you watch Cowboys games you know Witten is a bit stiff and slow. Rudolph looks way more athletic than I remember Witten being.

Dwayne Harris: A lot of people liked this guy, seemed to have a knack for playing the slot. Everyone will want to point out Laurent Robinson, but I've been playing fantasy long enough to see guys like Robinson come out of nowhere and then go right back to nowhere the next year. LRob does look legit, but if you're looking for a what the hell pickup he might be an option.

D.J. Williams (TE Packers): Another guy I really liked and Finley just hasn't been impressing me lately plus I believe he is a FA next year. Just sayin....

Adrian Arrington (WR Saints): He's supposedly a Colston clone. Saints really like him. Meechem is a FA and Colston's got one more year on those knees.

Ramses Barden: Manningham is a FA I think. And if I ever see Cruz I'll be diving at his knees so statistically there might be a decent chance of an opening at the WR position next year...

Jake Locker: Can't believe he was available in one of my leagues, ARod just found a new backup. But in leagues with a "right now" mentality, he's a definite starter in TEN next year and looks like he might have some great value the way he runs the ball.

Jonathan Baldwin: Bowe is a free agent next year so unless they franchise him I think he'll be playing elsewhere.

Bernard Scott: Is 2012 FINALLY the year??? Benson's a free agent so pick him up and join the cult that's been intrigued with him ever since we watched him on Hard Knocks.

Chris Ogbonnaya: A). He's young. B). He's shown flashes and C). He was cut by the Texans who had Foster and Tate youthwise. I think they only chose Ward for experience. I've seen crazier things happen.

Bell - if Forte is let go then the Bears will add another back.
Of course they will. But if Forte is gone, that leaves the feature back role wide open. Could be Bell, could be __?__. So Bell is worth a shot if you have room. Why not? A lot of things can happen in the next 8 months.

Man I was so excited for Easley when he had that one big preseason game. Thought he finally won the #2 spot, hopefully he gets his chance next year. Here's a bunch of guys I've been intrigued with in all of my leagues:

Bilal Powell: Pretty much just riding my 2011 scouting of him since he's barely been active for the Jets. But LT is probably gone next year so that's a big opportunity. Plus I heard rumblings of Rex thinking Joe McKnight would be a great CB, I wonder how serious he is about that.

Anthony Allen: Just playing the depth chart/opporunity game. Doubt Ricky will come back next year.

Johnny White: I liked him coming out this year so much that I forgot about that Fred Jackson guy. Really thought White would have a big role this year. Either way, FJax isn't exactly young so he's worth a flier.

Randal Cobb: Obvious choice but if he's available he needs to be scooped up. Driver's last year? Either way I don't see James Jones or Driver holding him back. I think he'll be cutting into Jordy's playing time sooner than later.

Jordan Cameron: (TE Browns) Watson's getting up there and Cameron has some good skills from some of the scouting I've heard.

Dane Sanzenbacher: His numbers aren't great so I'm sure he's available. Plus Cutler's hurt, year 2 + a better QB his stock will be way higher than it is now.

Kyle Rudolph: Shiancoe's last year I think? Everyone compares him to Witten but if you watch Cowboys games you know Witten is a bit stiff and slow. Rudolph looks way more athletic than I remember Witten being.

Dwayne Harris: A lot of people liked this guy, seemed to have a knack for playing the slot. Everyone will want to point out Laurent Robinson, but I've been playing fantasy long enough to see guys like Robinson come out of nowhere and then go right back to nowhere the next year. LRob does look legit, but if you're looking for a what the hell pickup he might be an option.

D.J. Williams (TE Packers): Another guy I really liked and Finley just hasn't been impressing me lately plus I believe he is a FA next year. Just sayin....

Adrian Arrington (WR Saints): He's supposedly a Colston clone. Saints really like him. Meechem is a FA and Colston's got one more year on those knees.

Ramses Barden: Manningham is a FA I think. And if I ever see Cruz I'll be diving at his knees so statistically there might be a decent chance of an opening at the WR position next year...

Jake Locker: Can't believe he was available in one of my leagues, ARod just found a new backup. But in leagues with a "right now" mentality, he's a definite starter in TEN next year and looks like he might have some great value the way he runs the ball.

Jonathan Baldwin: Bowe is a free agent next year so unless they franchise him I think he'll be playing elsewhere.

Bernard Scott: Is 2012 FINALLY the year??? Benson's a free agent so pick him up and join the cult that's been intrigued with him ever since we watched him on Hard Knocks.

Chris Ogbonnaya: A). He's young. B). He's shown flashes and C). He was cut by the Texans who had Foster and Tate youthwise. I think they only chose Ward for experience. I've seen crazier things happen.
Scott will never be a feature back and Chris O is perennial third stringer.

I definitely wouldn't call him a deep sleeper, but dynasty league-ers should have Matt Flynn on their radars. IIRC, he's an UFA, and will want an opportunity to start. GM/Coaches with a background in the WCO (Holmgren in Cleveland & Gruden in ?) would have interest in a QB McCarthy groomed for a few years. And potential teams like Jax/Miami/Seattle may look for a FA.

I appreciate the thread, and any thread that generates discussion like this.

But I don't really consider most of the players mentioned in this thread, especially in the OP, to be "incredibly deep sleepers".

I'm in a 12 team dynasty with 36-player rosters (+2 IR), offense only. Not a single one of the people mentioned in this thread is available.

Before you all start "PTTS'ing" me, keep in mind I'm just making the point that I see these as "sleepers" or "deep sleepers" at best in a dynasty league with short-to-normal sized benches. Not "incredibly deep sleepers", which to me implies guys to look out for or buy low in leagues that have very deep benches and barren waiver wires.

'ConnSKINS26 said:
I appreciate the thread, and any thread that generates discussion like this.But I don't really consider most of the players mentioned in this thread, especially in the OP, to be "incredibly deep sleepers". I'm in a 12 team dynasty with 36-player rosters (+2 IR), offense only. Not a single one of the people mentioned in this thread is available. Before you all start "PTTS'ing" me, keep in mind I'm just making the point that I see these as "sleepers" or "deep sleepers" at best in a dynasty league with short-to-normal sized benches. Not "incredibly deep sleepers", which to me implies guys to look out for or buy low in leagues that have very deep benches and barren waiver wires.
If you have 36-man rosters plus two IR slots, it would seem to me that basically not a single player is available on your waiver wire. I mean, who are you really expecting to hear about that isn't already rostered?

'ConnSKINS26 said:
I appreciate the thread, and any thread that generates discussion like this.But I don't really consider most of the players mentioned in this thread, especially in the OP, to be "incredibly deep sleepers". I'm in a 12 team dynasty with 36-player rosters (+2 IR), offense only. Not a single one of the people mentioned in this thread is available. Before you all start "PTTS'ing" me, keep in mind I'm just making the point that I see these as "sleepers" or "deep sleepers" at best in a dynasty league with short-to-normal sized benches. Not "incredibly deep sleepers", which to me implies guys to look out for or buy low in leagues that have very deep benches and barren waiver wires.
since there is no one on your waiver wires are there lots of trades in your league? I've always wondered if trading goes way up when there is no way to find replacements on the waiver wire or it's more closely tied to league member temperament

'ConnSKINS26 said:
since there is no one on your waiver wires are there lots of trades in your league? I've always wondered if trading goes way up when there is no way to find replacements on the waiver wire or it's more closely tied to league member temperament
Yeah, lots of trades. As you can imagine, many of them are very small trades for prospects, late picks, etc. to balance out having no waiver wire. Makes it more fun for many of us, though. We've had about 80 trades so far since our start-up draft in July, not counting the trades made during the start-up draft.

'ConnSKINS26 said:
If you have 36-man rosters plus two IR slots, it would seem to me that basically not a single player is available on your waiver wire. I mean, who are you really expecting to hear about that isn't already rostered?
I wasn't saying that I'd expect to see a bunch of candidates in a thread like this, just saying that I think the title is a little bit overboard, that's all. In terms of players, I recently posted some end-of-roster RB's that at least would have a CHANCE of being on the ww in a league like this one, though its unlikely--here's a recent exchange from the Dynasty Strategy thread:
Does anyone have a deep deep dynasty stash at RB? I'm in an IDP league with 40+ man rosters.
Phillip Tanner, Jeremiah Johnson, Da'Rell Scott. Just some thoughts
In similar super-deep (36-man roster/2 IR offense only) leagues I've got all these guys rostered, plus guys like Andre Brown, Kareem Huggins, Evan Royster, Chad Spann, DuJaun Harris, Tyrell Sutton, Baron Batch, Darren Evans, and Mario Fannin.And the the obvious guys that should already be rostered like Dion Lewis, Johnny White, Quizz Rodgers, Taiwan Jones.
How would you rank the guys you're talking about here?
Its tough, because half of these guys are FA's or PS-level players, so its completely arbitrary based on how you like each one (obviously not talking about Quizz/Lewis/White/Jones--and that's the order I have those in).For me, its:ScottJohnsonBatchFanninSuttonTannerRoysterBrownSpannHugginsHarrisEvansBut in reality, they're all complete question mark-type lottery tickets. I'd watch some tape of each and pick your favorite. Scott is my favorite based on future situation, and size/speed combo, plus he proved to be a playmaker in preseason. Johnson is someone who I've been waiting to get an opportunity. I think he's very talented, comparably. Batch was having a GREAT training camp before injury, Fannin has great size/speed measurables but is raw and injured, Sutton always struck me as being very talented, Tanner was someone with more value before Murray broke out, but I still like him. Royster has seen the field for the Redskins, and if Helu gets hurt next year at any point, he'd have good value depending on Hightower getting re-signed or not. But Royster is a grind-it-out runner who gets the tough yards but is unspectacular. Pretty low ceiling there. I've liked what I've seen from Brown, Spann, and Huggins. Harris is a question mark and Evans is my least favorite on this list.

Users who are viewing this thread