What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Barkley staying (1 Viewer)

This is going to drive Griffin up in the draft. Even if he was already ahead of Barkley, the dropoff to #3 now will force teams to try and trade up ahead of Cleveland to get Griffin.

Smart move, since he is easily the favorite for #1 in 2012.
I would think he'd have gone in the top 12 this year, is there any true benefit in being #1 next year vs. maybe Seattle or Arizona this year? Some $ I suppose, but not what it used to be.

Matt Leinart called, he wants his bad decision back.
They're being compared because they both went to USC only, right? I'm guessing you know about as much about Barkley as I do so calling it a bad decision is your opinion only.ETA: Just quickly visiting Wickipedia, looks like Barkley may be Tim Tebow version 2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
The comparison is that Matt Leinart stayed an extra year and his draft stock suffered.

It's a huge risk to stay an extra year and pass up millions. Barkley should call Greg Oden, who left early, got paid, and has been injured ever since. if he had stayed, then none of that would have happened.

Peyton and Luck did it successfully...and they were forecasted #1 overall as juniors (something Barkley isn't).

It is a risk though.

Good for him. Decision was made easier with a family that doesn't have financial needs. Barkley can continue to enjoy the college experience.

The comparison is that Matt Leinart stayed an extra year and his draft stock suffered.It's a huge risk to stay an extra year and pass up millions. Barkley should call Greg Oden, who left early, got paid, and has been injured ever since. if he had stayed, then none of that would have happened.
Didn't the new CBA eliminate the mega millions that the #1 pick gets vs the simply millions that the lower 1st rounders get?

The comparison is that Matt Leinart stayed an extra year and his draft stock suffered.It's a huge risk to stay an extra year and pass up millions. Barkley should call Greg Oden, who left early, got paid, and has been injured ever since. if he had stayed, then none of that would have happened.
Didn't the new CBA eliminate the mega millions that the #1 pick gets vs the simply millions that the lower 1st rounders get?
oden still goes no1 overall if he stays an extra year. and no, the cba hardly changed how rookies are payed. their compensation was already drastically curtailed after the glenn robinson debacle.

Leinart had won the Heisman, the national championship, and would have easily been the #1 pick over Alex Smith. He had nothing more to do(except for more college girls in the hottub I guess), nothing more to prove, his stock couldn't get any higher. I'm not sure Barkley's resume really compares.

leinart's stock stayed similarly high until the draft workouts. ofc, alex smith wasnt even supposed to be the no1 pick until rodgers made an egregiously bad joke in his interview. nfl gms win some and lose some.

That was a surprise. And with Landry Jones also possibly returning to Oklahoma after a relatively sub-par year, RG III's draft stock just got a major bump.

As I see it, the big NFL loser in this scenario is the Redskins. They can't move up enough chips into the pot to get Luck, and won't finish poorly enough to get RG III. Sounds like another year of the Gross One unless they get a free agent like Matt Flynn or make a play for Sam Bradford with the Rams.

I like this decision because I have Matt flynn on dynasty teams. Makes him a bit more in demand now I think. Had Kolb knocked it out of the park this year, I would be very confident Flynn would get as much/more looks but still, the Packers have a solid reputation for grooming next in line QBs so I am sure he will go somewhere to be of use

Leinart had won the Heisman, the national championship, and would have easily been the #1 pick over Alex Smith. He had nothing more to do(except for more college girls in the hottub I guess), nothing more to prove, his stock couldn't get any higher. I'm not sure Barkley's resume really compares.
Leinart was and is a knucklehead, Barkley seems to be pretty well grounded. I don't like comparing the 2 because I think the reasons each stayed are probably pretty different.

leinart's stock stayed similarly high until the draft workouts. ofc, alex smith wasnt even supposed to be the no1 pick until rodgers made an egregiously bad joke in his interview. nfl gms win some and lose some.
What was the bad joke?
haha, i dunno. just know that rodgers was the consensus no1 (not undisputed but a decent fav) until his interview and then reports came out that he had an attitude problem.

What was the bad joke?
haha, i dunno. just know that rodgers was the consensus no1 (not undisputed but a decent fav) until his interview and then reports came out that he had an attitude problem.
really? that surprises me. Not saying it isn't true, I have no idea. Just doesn't strike me as a bad dude nor does he strike me as arrogant.

Doesn't the salary cap take a big jump after next year based on the recently negotiated television contracts? If that's the case then I would imagine that the rookie salary cap will also be adjusted and the drafted rookies in 2013 stand to make a little more change than those that get drafted this year...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread