Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official 2020 Michigan Football***

My buddy who is tight with a few boosters called me last night and said he heard strong rumors that Brady Hoke will not be fired and will return as HC. Lets see if this holds water. I said if that happens it will destroy the fan base.

Edited by Da Guru

My buddy who is tight with a few boosters called me last night and said he heard strong rumors that Brady Hoke will not be fired and will return as HC. Lets see if this holds water. I said if that happens it will destroy the fan base.

There would be a mutiny. Why on earth would you keep him? If you were a top recruit why would you even think of going there if Hoke is the coach?

There would be a mutiny. Why on earth would you keep him? If you were a top recruit why would you even think of going there if Hoke is the coach?

I said the same things. My friend claims that Jim Hackett and Hoke are tight and that Hackett wants to give Hoke another year. They have already lost 4-5 top recruits in the last couple of weeks that were coming in.

I said the same things. My friend claims that Jim Hackett and Hoke are tight and that Hackett wants to give Hoke another year. They have already lost 4-5 top recruits in the last couple of weeks that were coming in.

I'd be really surprised if Hoke is retained. I guess we all would.

There was a stupid twitter rumor last night, but that was debunked pretty quickly as a Spartan grad trying to troll.

Rumors are abound. I've heard similar to what you've said Da Guru. He too has ties to boosters. I've also heard from a different friend with ties that the longer this goes without comment that means Harbaugh's in play so I have no idea what's going on or what's going to happen.

Personally, I don't know what the right answer is. Hoke's largest problem is that he didn't cut ties with Borges earlier. As crappy as the season was, the offense did improve over the course of the year, especially the line. However, there's a very large concern at QB for next year. I'm not sure Morris is what they thought he was. While it might get lost in the 5-7 record, this offense's progression is something to consider. That's what makes the RR and Hoke decisions different. There was absolutely no indication of improvement when it came to the defense under RR. He'd have never won in the B1G with that approach. With Hoke, the improvement and youth are things he has that RR didn't. So I can see how one would justify keeping him. I'm just not sure I agree with it.

Rumors are abound. I've heard similar to what you've said Da Guru. He too has ties to boosters. I've also heard from a different friend with ties that the longer this goes without comment that means Harbaugh's in play so I have no idea what's going on or what's going to happen.

Personally, I don't know what the right answer is. Hoke's largest problem is that he didn't cut ties with Borges earlier. As crappy as the season was, the offense did improve over the course of the year, especially the line. However, there's a very large concern at QB for next year. I'm not sure Morris is what they thought he was. While it might get lost in the 5-7 record, this offense's progression is something to consider. That's what makes the RR and Hoke decisions different. There was absolutely no indication of improvement when it came to the defense under RR. He'd have never won in the B1G with that approach. With Hoke, the improvement and youth are things he has that RR didn't. So I can see how one would justify keeping him. I'm just not sure I agree with it.

With all due respect - I COMPLETELY disagree. Did the line improve? Yes. But the offense was still a disaster. It took him FOREVER to go to Drake Johnson, who is clearly the best RB. Devin Gardner has more physical talent than any M QB since Drew Henson - yet he CLEARLY regressed. The team is so poorly coached, its painful to watch. Horrible time management, philosophies stuck in the 50s, refusal to adopt new strategies even though they are unquestionably better (i.e., spread punt).

And that doesn't even mention the Shane Morris fiasco, allowing a rapist to play and then lying about it, the Frank Clark situation, or any of the other myriad off the field issues.

Hoke is clearly, clearly, clearly in over his head and needs to go now.

• Like 1

With all due respect - I COMPLETELY disagree. Did the line improve? Yes. But the offense was still a disaster. It took him FOREVER to go to Drake Johnson, who is clearly the best RB. Devin Gardner has more physical talent than any M QB since Drew Henson - yet he CLEARLY regressed. The team is so poorly coached, its painful to watch. Horrible time management, philosophies stuck in the 50s, refusal to adopt new strategies even though they are unquestionably better (i.e., spread punt).

And that doesn't even mention the Shane Morris fiasco, allowing a rapist to play and then lying about it, the Frank Clark situation, or any of the other myriad off the field issues.

I say give him another year or two to get his feet under him... he'll be fine

:spartyon:

Maybe they are putting out feelers to Harbaugh to see if there is any interest. Things are getting screwed up in SF with York and all the family getting involved. Plus the players are tiring of Harbaugh. I have read many times that Harbaughs style is better suited for college. We will see. If Hoke comes back I would be very disappointed.

If Hoke comes back I'll stop watching...or rather continue my stoppage from this season. I could not stomach watching this team. Improvement? What a joke, this team has gotten worse every season under Hoke where it improved every season under RR. RR was bloody awful, and Hoke seems worse.

The Shane Morris debacle was the final straw, ridiculous. And why did we never see more of Morris? Was he never cleared? Did Hoke not want to put him in to avoid more discussion of the fiasco? Gardner was not going to win anything this year why not see more of Morris?

I get all that...believe me, I do. It was still a disaster, but I can't say I expected much more than 7 wins at the beginning of the season given what they had to overcome. I agree on Johnson as well. I've not been a big fan of Green from the beginning. He's always seemed soft to me. I also agree on the Gibbons problem. I think he did the right thing with Clark :shrug: The biggest question I have about Hoke is player development. I'm not ready to indict the OC just yet. He's been there exactly a year and the players are young. Gardner regressed, no question. He had ZERO stability in his entire career at Michigan. I love that dude, but he was in a no win situation. I believe it would have been a major achievement to stay consistent in that environment...forget about improving.

I'm typically a five year guy, but should Hoke be fired, the next coach should have all the pieces he needs to succeed pretty quickly. We have to acknowledge Hoke's ability to restock the cabinets after RR's complete emptying of them.

I get all that...believe me, I do. It was still a disaster, but I can't say I expected much more than 7 wins at the beginning of the season given what they had to overcome. I agree on Johnson as well. I've not been a big fan of Green from the beginning. He's always seemed soft to me. I also agree on the Gibbons problem. I think he did the right thing with Clark :shrug: The biggest question I have about Hoke is player development. I'm not ready to indict the OC just yet. He's been there exactly a year and the players are young. Gardner regressed, no question. He had ZERO stability in his entire career at Michigan. I love that dude, but he was in a no win situation. I believe it would have been a major achievement to stay consistent in that environment...forget about improving.

I'm typically a five year guy, but should Hoke be fired, the next coach should have all the pieces he needs to succeed pretty quickly. We have to acknowledge Hoke's ability to restock the cabinets after RR's complete emptying of them.

There is not a QB in place for next season. Morris is not the answer.

Michigan was next to last in scoring offense and total offense

Hoke may improve next season if allowed to come back, but only because there is so little room to get worse...they are practically at rock bottom

I'm in shock reading this thread . Obviously you guys follow this program much closer than I do, but I can't think of another major college football school that wouldn't have already fired Hoke long since.

they should have fired him in the locker room saturday

And if they're going to keep Hoke, they should make the announcement now if they care about recruiting. The three crucial guys in this class need to be kept at all costs. Right now there are 7 in the class and that number includes a legacy and a kicker.

it is unfathomable that keeping him is seen as an option

if they are going to keep hoke they should skip the Coke promo and just start having people go through the streets of Detroit and stick tickets on people's doors like they were pizza place fliers

• Like 1

I'm in shock reading this thread . Obviously you guys follow this program much closer than I do, but I can't think of another major college football school that wouldn't have already fired Hoke long since.

There's at least a chance he's already been told and they just haven't announced it yet.

Assuming he is fired, who are the candidates. I would think:

1. Jim Harbaugh (obviously)

2. John Harbaugh

After that, I'd love to see:

3. Art Briles

4. Hugh Freeze

But I doubt either of those are realistic. Miles is 63 and (allegedly) Carr hates him. So who is a realistic target?

2. John Harbaugh

3. Art Briles

4. Hugh Freeze

But I doubt either of those are realistic. Miles is 63 and (allegedly) Carr hates him. So who is a realistic target?

Does this still matter? If so, what's the point in hiring a new coach? They need to get over this stupid, petty #### and do what's right for the program.

That said, what about Greg Roman? Or David Shaw? The most entertaining would be going after Narduzzi. RCMB would blow up the internet.

2. John Harbaugh

3. Art Briles

4. Hugh Freeze

This is what makes waiting for either of the Harbaughs tricky. Freeze has allegedly already been offered the florida job. Also, like Commish stated, the obvious affect on recruiting.

Of course, this assumes Hoke is gone, which seemed like a forgone conclusion as of Saturday, but now isn't.

Any chance Nussmeier gets considered for the HC spot, if Hoke gets let go?

2. John Harbaugh

3. Art Briles

4. Hugh Freeze

Does this still matter? If so, what's the point in hiring a new coach? They need to get over this stupid, petty #### and do what's right for the program.

That said, what about Greg Roman? Or David Shaw? The most entertaining would be going after Narduzzi. RCMB would blow up the internet.

That would turn the temperature on msu/um rivalry up a few degrees.

Also, tagging along on your point about Carr. Michigan has to get past the "Michigan Man" thing and just get the best college football coach it can get.

2. John Harbaugh

3. Art Briles

4. Hugh Freeze

This is what makes waiting for either of the Harbaughs tricky. Freeze has allegedly already been offered the florida job. Also, like Commish stated, the obvious affect on recruiting.

Of course, this assumes Hoke is gone, which seemed like a forgone conclusion as of Saturday, but now isn't.

I wouldn't think so. The offense was a nightmare this year.

2. John Harbaugh

3. Art Briles

4. Hugh Freeze

I wouldn't think so. The offense was a nightmare this year.

Does he get the benefit of the doubt? First-year, new system, old players, etc

Sam Webb @SamWebb77Follow

Decision on Hoke's future as coach is expected to be delivered to him at that time

3:30 PM - 1 Dec 2014

im flabbergasted that there is suspense about this.

Why am I not surprised?

Bo Jerkface of Nebraska never won less than 9 games in a season and they barely let him walk off the field of his last game.

Sam Webb @SamWebb77Follow

Decision on Hoke's future as coach is expected to be delivered to him at that time

3:30 PM - 1 Dec 2014

im flabbergasted that there is suspense about this.

Why am I not surprised?

Bo Jerkface of Nebraska never won less than 9 games in a season and they barely let him walk off the field of his last game.

Don't disagree, but really has nothing to do with not being surprised that Tim doesn't get why there is "suspense" around this.

• Like 1

Hoke has to be fired right? Given that the meeting was scheduled right before Hoke is to meet with the team leads me to believe he is gone.

Then I worry about the fact that Hackett came out last week and said Hoke has done a great job. Will the meeting be to say "You got one more year to turn it around good buddy"? Now go tell your team you are back.

With attendance down 7 thousand per game Michigan did not lead the conference in attendance for the first time on forever. That has to factor into the decision.

Honestly, I won't be shocked either way. I'm sorta leaning towards him staying if they are going to announce it today. However, there is the scenario where they have gotten their guy (and it's not Harbaugh) and they'd be letting him go. I don't see a point in announcing Hoke is gone today and they will begin a search today. That ended poorly last time. You'd think they'd learn their lesson, but who knows.

Hoke has to be fired right? Given that the meeting was scheduled right before Hoke is to meet with the team leads me to believe he is gone.

Then I worry about the fact that Hackett came out last week and said Hoke has done a great job. Will the meeting be to say "You got one more year to turn it around good buddy"? Now go tell your team you are back.

With attendance down 7 thousand per game Michigan did not lead the conference in attendance for the first time on forever. That has to factor into the decision.

I think the last line is really important. Fans would be really upset if he's brought back.

Plus - one only has to look at the team on a weekly basis to see what a disaster it is. Its so poorly coached.

I just can't believe he will get another year. But who knows?

I think the last line is really important. Fans would be really upset if he's brought back.

Plus - one only has to look at the team on a weekly basis to see what a disaster it is. Its so poorly coached.

I just can't believe he will get another year. But who knows?

That last line was significantly influenced by Brandon as well. The fans got what they wanted in that regard (particularly the students).

UM needs to hire a coach that develops the talent they get. That's the problem right now with Shane Morris, Funchess and others on that team, including Devin. Kids have a ton of talent, yet have never had any real development since they've been there. Just because a kid is a highly recruited 5-star doesn't always mean he'll be able to step right in at this level. I think that's the current mentality at UM. That they can just get by, because of the perceived level of talent of their recruits due to their rankings.

That's what has made Dantonio and his coaching team so successful. You only have to look as far back as Cousins, DQ Dennard and Leveon Bell to name a few. this year it has been Tony Lippett and Langford.

They continue to develop the talent they get.

UM needs to hire a coach that develops the talent they get. That's the problem right now with Shane Morris, Funchess and others on that team, including Devin. Kids have a ton of talent, yet have never had any real development since they've been there. Just because a kid is a highly recruited 5-star doesn't always mean he'll be able to step right in at this level. I think that's the current mentality at UM. That they can just get by, because of the perceived level of talent of their recruits due to their rankings.

That's what has made Dantonio and his coaching team so successful. You only have to look as far back as Cousins, DQ Dennard and Leveon Bell to name a few. this year it has been Tony Lippett and Langford.

No they don't ;):oldunsure:

No they don't ;):oldunsure:

they won't

Everything I've read seems to be they are all in trying to get Harbaugh and don't really have a plan B. However, people are confident Les Miles would take the job if offered, but age is a significant concern.

which harbaugh?

If Hoke gets canned he will receive a 2 million dollar lump sum payout and then $120.000 thousand a month for 24 months. Who would put a 2 million dollar buyout in Hokes contract? Hoke had no bargaining position when he came here as he would have never been hired by any major college to be a HC.

If Hoke gets canned he will receive a 2 million dollar lump sum payout and then $120.000 thousand a month for 24 months. Who would put a 2 million dollar buyout in Hokes contract? Hoke had no bargaining position when he came here as he would have never been hired by any major college to be a HC.

That's like $2.9 Billion! Crazy! ;)

Pretty sure Dave Brandon is your answer...

Pretty sure Dave Brandon is your answer...

FUBAR