What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2020 Michigan Football*** (3 Viewers)

It is beyond frustrating that Michigan cannot find a quality QB while Ohio State seems to be 3-4 quality QBs deep. It seems a good QB would rather sit behind 2 other good QBs at OSU than play for Michigan

Right now the Big 10 is Ohio State and a lot of garbage, and Michigan is closer to Indiana than they are to Ohio State

It is beyond frustrating that Michigan cannot find a quality QB while Ohio State seems to be 3-4 quality QBs deep. It seems a good QB would rather sit behind 2 other good QBs at OSU than play for Michigan

Right now the Big 10 is Ohio State and a lot of garbage, and Michigan is closer to Indiana than they are to Ohio State
Not sure if you read Mgoblog, but earlier this season, he did an analysis of all of the QBs that Al Borges has recruited the last 10 years or something. His track record was terrible.

And certainly nothing that Shane Morris has done should give Michigan fans any confidence.

ETA: Here's a snippet from the end of Wilton Speight's review:

Al Borges recruited QBs -

• INDIANA: Graeme McFarland (career backup), Allen Webb (transfer to KSU, split time with Allan Evridge), and Blake Powers (started as sophomore, moved to TE next year).
  • AUBURN: Calvin Booker (transferred to GT), Blake Field (transferred to Valdosta State), Steve Ensminger (career backup), Neil Caudle (29 career attempts), Kodi Burns (179 attempts at 5.9 a pop as sophomore, moved to WR as senior). Worth noting that the Auburn QB for this period was the completely uninspiring Brandon Cox and his degenerative muscle disease.
  • SAN DIEGO STATE: Jake Bernards (never played), Colton Morrison (transferredbecause he was behind two other guys on this list), Adam Dingwell (lost job to in game two of last year, retired due to back injury).
Then Bellomy upon his arrival at M. Sweet fancy Moses. Good news for Alex Malzone though

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure if you read Mgoblog, but earlier this season, he did an analysis of all of the QBs that Al Borges has recruited the last 10 years or something. His track record was terrible.

And certainly nothing that Shane Morris has done should give Michigan fans any confidence.
Throw on top of that their switching of Gardner around from QB to WR back to QB, and you have what they have. You can go all the way back to DR....lots of athletes playing QB and no coaches to teach them how to be QBs that are athletic.

I think that speaks to development more than anything. As a raw product, I don't think Gardner was much different than any of the Ohio guys. Shoelace had the nerve thing, but his play regressed after these guys came on board too.

I think that speaks to development more than anything. As a raw product, I don't think Gardner was much different than any of the Ohio guys. Shoelace had the nerve thing, but his play regressed after these guys came on board too.
This staff definitely didn't know how to use Denard. I know why RichRod was fired - the D was terrible. But he certainly would have been awesome to have with Denard's last two years.

And the Gardner thing - I just don't get it. Just so much natural talent. How was he not good?

Basically, this coaching staff sucked.

This staff definitely didn't know how to use Denard. I know why RichRod was fired - the D was terrible. But he certainly would have been awesome to have with Denard's last two years.

And the Gardner thing - I just don't get it. Just so much natural talent. How was he not good?

Basically, this coaching staff sucked.
He wasn't good because they allowed him to play with injury and they kept shifting him around position wise. That happened because the staff stunk at development.

:lmao:

This is all very depressing. :kicksrock:
Yeah but things can change overnight. UCLA didn't have a good QB in 20 years before Brett Hundley showed up. The team started winning under a better coach and now some of the top QB recruits are coming to the Bruins. Michigan is still a destination team. You've had some down years but it will all change with the right coach.

I hate having to hope that Alabama wins, but I live in OSU territory and I cannot stomach the fans if OSU wins a playoff game

gump said:
If they were going after a college guy, it would likely be done. It's got to be Harbaugh.
This has been my thought from the beginning. The longer this drags on, the more it seems he's the target.
I fear they may miss the target and be hosed, though

i just have no faith in this program right now

Funchess has declared for the draft. Not surprised, but I think it's a mistake.

On the coaching front, rumor has it Hackett has told the players the process will be over after Christmas break.

On the coaching front, rumor has it Hackett has told the players the process will be over after Christmas break.
He's pretty much a consensus 1st round draft pick. With no guarantee on who will be coaching next year and with Shane Morris probably slinging it, why risk poor performance and/or injury?

He's pretty much a consensus 1st round draft pick. With no guarantee on who will be coaching next year and with Shane Morris probably slinging it, why risk poor performance and/or injury?
I get it....I haven't looked at the projections, but if he's at the bottom of the first, he could easily get up into the top with the way the TE is changing in the NFL. I just think he's going to be more like Ebron than anything else. It's going to take him a while to improve to NFL levels IMO. He's not there right now.

This

Doctor Detroit said:
If they wasted over a week, something else is up. Either Harbaugh got them word he wasn't interested, or something else delayed this 'reach out'.
If I am to believe what I'm told they have begun the "reach out" process this week to gauge interest if plan A doesn't work out....want to have it wrapped up by the end of Dec. So we are now entering all the "Michigan had to settle for option 9" phase you mentioned a couple pages ago.

Duke coach, Cutcliffe turned them down last night...allegedly
I honestly just don't believe this is true. Unless Jim and John have told them there is no way they are coming then I doubt anyone would get any offer.
A guy who is 47-40 at Duke. They tried to go the obscure route the last time. They need a big name to restore the program quickly, IMHO. So far the source is just one guy tweeting.

I honestly just don't believe this is true. Unless Jim and John have told them there is no way they are coming then I doubt anyone would get any offer.
A guy who is 47-40 at Duke. They tried to go the obscure route the last time. They need a big name to restore the program quickly, IMHO. So far the source is just one guy tweeting.
Cutcliffe isn't an obscure coach...he's a well known commodity. However, he is coaching to coach because that's what he loves first and foremost. He has no interest in the rat race of a big program. He's doing amazing things with a program that was striving for 3 wins a season prior to his arrival. I trust the guys here locally that it was a reach out to see if he was interested. It wasn't an offer.

Cutcliffe isn't an obscure coach...he's a well known commodity. However, he is coaching to coach because that's what he loves first and foremost. He has no interest in the rat race of a big program. He's doing amazing things with a program that was striving for 3 wins a season prior to his arrival. I trust the guys here locally that it was a reach out to see if he was interested. It wasn't an offer.
I cannot see a scenario where he is the current #1 choice. I doubt he was given an offer either. Wouldn't make much sense at this point to do that.

http://gregghenson.com/greg-mattison-speaks/

Greg Mattison and the rest of the former Michigan coaching staff are really class acts, it is too bad they didn’t win more games/find a QB.

A source sent this e-mail to me today and it is a prime example of how not to burn a bridge, while exiting a job with class. I could learn a lot from Greg Mattison.

A young defensive player’s parents talked to Mattison today for 20 min. Mattison assured the young player’s parents that their kid is absolutely at the right place and that he will be a star at Michigan.

He also said he didn’t think Harbaugh was coming to Michigan because he didn’t think could afford him/ or would spend that kind of money on a coach (I disagree). So that comment right there told me even Mattison has no clue who the coach is going to be.

Also, Mattison said he has received multiple offers to coach in NFL next season. He is still out recruiting for UM right now and said if the right coach got the job and offered him that he would stay at UM.

This is the kind of unbelievable loyalty Hoke and his staff have for Michigan, even after being terminated! Combined with the whole staff showing up for the bust, it gives you an idea of the kind of men who have led the Wolverine program for the last four years….good men, who love Michigan, who just didn’t win enough games for Michigan.
What a departure from the way Lloyd handled his departure.

Could that right coach be John?

I cannot see a scenario where he is the current #1 choice. I doubt he was given an offer either. Wouldn't make much sense at this point to do that.
He's not

@mortreport Spoke to Duke’s David Cutcliffe. He hasn’t talked to Michigan nor has Duke AD Kevin White. No job offered to turn down.

Chris Mortensen @mortreport

To be clear, there has been zero contact between Michigan and Duke’s David Cutcliffe. No third party contact, even through search firm
--

"Oops." - Gil Brandt.

http://gregghenson.com/greg-mattison-speaks/

Greg Mattison and the rest of the former Michigan coaching staff are really class acts, it is too bad they didn’t win more games/find a QB.

A source sent this e-mail to me today and it is a prime example of how not to burn a bridge, while exiting a job with class. I could learn a lot from Greg Mattison.

A young defensive player’s parents talked to Mattison today for 20 min. Mattison assured the young player’s parents that their kid is absolutely at the right place and that he will be a star at Michigan.

He also said he didn’t think Harbaugh was coming to Michigan because he didn’t think could afford him/ or would spend that kind of money on a coach (I disagree). So that comment right there told me even Mattison has no clue who the coach is going to be.

Also, Mattison said he has received multiple offers to coach in NFL next season. He is still out recruiting for UM right now and said if the right coach got the job and offered him that he would stay at UM.

This is the kind of unbelievable loyalty Hoke and his staff have for Michigan, even after being terminated! Combined with the whole staff showing up for the bust, it gives you an idea of the kind of men who have led the Wolverine program for the last four years….good men, who love Michigan, who just didn’t win enough games for Michigan.
What a departure from the way Lloyd handled his departure.

Could that right coach be John?
Hoke was everything you would want in a coach except a winner. Hoke belongs at an Ivy League type of school or even a high school where if you are a 500 team and your kids graduate everything is perfect. The demands of coaching a high level program that draws 110.000 people a game and has the largest living alumni base in the country was way too much for Hoke.

I just think when all is said and done Greg Shiano might be the next HC at Michigan. Shiano is the same type of no-nonsense coach Dantonio was at Cinci. And he wants the job and is ready to roll. Hope I am wrong but I just don`t see the Harbaughs leaving the NFL to start recruiting 16 year olds again.

I've been ignoring anyone saying Shiano just because I don't think I could handle that guy at Michigan.
Not my first choice by any means. Dantonio was not a sexy hire when MSU brought him in being only 18-17 at Cinci, but he had that "toughness" rep. The only thing is that Shiano will bring a toughness mindset that Hoke just could not do.

Let the Les Miles era begin.............

Not news, just me speculating what I see the most likely outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread