What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2020 Michigan Football*** (1 Viewer)

What is the scoop on the Swenson kid - He is the 15th ranked OL in the country and #2 recruit in Illinois - His response makes him look like a class act. Why wouldn't they want him? What are the missing details here. I'm a big Harbaugh fan, but something here doesn't add up.
Wasn't up for a sleepover...

What is the scoop on the Swenson kid - He is the 15th ranked OL in the country and #2 recruit in Illinois - His response makes him look like a class act. Why wouldn't they want him? What are the missing details here. I'm a big Harbaugh fan, but something here doesn't add up.
Rumor is, and it's about all we have to go with, he's shown little improvement as he's gotten older. If that's the best they can do with a reason, I'm not satisfied.

He's going all out on the spring coaches clinic. Beamer is going to be a guest speaker and the whole Ravens football staff (allegedly) will be there. Open to all the kids in the country that want to come.

Several decommits in the last week or so and a few transferring. And honestly, I'm not sweating it. The Long commit confirms my confidence in Harbaugh and company.

Up to 21, but it's a very diverse group from all around the country.

Several decommits in the last week or so and a few transferring. And honestly, I'm not sweating it. The Long commit confirms my confidence in Harbaugh and company.

Up to 21, but it's a very diverse group from all around the country.
The decommits are the best part.

Sir Patrick Scott had no business committing to UM in the first place.

Coach Harbaugh@CoachJim4UM 9h

9 hours ago
"They said" artificial sweeteners were safe, WMDs were in Iraq and Anna Nicole married for love" ... "They said"

--

Sounds like he thinks there's more to it than is being reported.
Hopefully there is. I really hope they were direct and to the point with the kid for a while. It had been rumored for a few months that he may not make the class, but there was never any real discussion about it. Some of these others that have left, I fully expected, but this one just rubbed me wrong for some reason. I hope I am completely wrong about the situation. There's still a bunch of room in this class for some top notch prospects with the early enrollees.

Michael Dwumfour 3* DT (One of Gary's best friends who decommitted from PSU)

Stephen Spanellis 3 * OG

Elysee Mbem-Bosse 3/4 * ILB

David Long 4 * CB

Joshua Uche 3 * WDE

All have committed recently. Michigan now up to #3 on 247/Scout/Rivals.

Jordan Elliott 4* DT and Nate Johnson 3 * WR are likely to decommitt. Dytarious Johnson 3* OLB and Rashad Weaver 3 * DE may as well.

Likely to committ

Eddie McDoom 3 * WR

Donald Stewart 3 * WR

Rashan Gary 5 * DT

Connor Murphy 4 * DE

Khaleke Hudson 4 * ATH

Maybe

Devin Asiasi 4* TE

Boss Tagaloa 4 * DT

Lavert Hill 4 * CB

Quinn Nordin 4 * K

Jordan Fuller 4 * CB

Jonathan Jones 3 * ILB

Chase Allen 3 * TE

Keyshawn Young 3 * WR

Nick Eubanks 3 * TE

Chase Allen is more likely than anyone imo

I also think Pie Young and Gary are almost certainly Blue
I've read that Allen may be dependent on Asiasi and Pie imay be dependent on Stewart. They have also said this class may be up to 30, so if those 4 decommitt who knows. All the Jersey kids had to spend an extra day because of the snow out east, but everything I have read has been very positive.

LAUNCH said:
Michael Dwumfour 3* DT (One of Gary's best friends who decommitted from PSU)

Stephen Spanellis 3 * OG

Elysee Mbem-Bosse 3/4 * ILB

David Long 4 * CB

Joshua Uche 3 * WDE

All have committed recently. Michigan now up to #3 on 247/Scout/Rivals.

Jordan Elliott 4* DT and Nate Johnson 3 * WR are likely to decommitt. Dytarious Johnson 3* OLB and Rashad Weaver 3 * DE may as well.

Likely to committ

Eddie McDoom 3 * WR

Donald Stewart 3 * WR

Rashan Gary 5 * DT

Connor Murphy 4 * DE

Khaleke Hudson 4 * ATH

Maybe

Devin Asiasi 4* TE

Boss Tagaloa 4 * DT

Lavert Hill 4 * CB

Quinn Nordin 4 * K

Jordan Fuller 4 * CB

Jonathan Jones 3 * ILB

Chase Allen 3 * TE

Keyshawn Young 3 * WR

Nick Eubanks 3 * TE
Rashad Weaver forced out

Offered him a PWO but he turned it down.

Yeah....I'm not sure I like this approach at all. I don't know what the deal is. If there's anything they need to be, it's honest. I wonder, if going forward, they are going to be more picky with their offers. This sort of thing isn't acceptable IMO. They need to be direct and honest with these kids. I don't care what other schools think, what the media thinks, what other fans think. I do care that they treat these kids fairly. That's what matters.

Yeah....I'm not sure I like this approach at all. I don't know what the deal is. If there's anything they need to be, it's honest. I wonder, if going forward, they are going to be more picky with their offers. This sort of thing isn't acceptable IMO. They need to be direct and honest with these kids. I don't care what other schools think, what the media thinks, what other fans think. I do care that they treat these kids fairly. That's what matters.
I agree, but I hesitate to jump to conclusions about what's really been going on. There's 3 sides to every story and we've only been fed 1 of them.

That's why these non-commitable offers are tough. Sam Webb said the scholarship was contingent on the numbers game from the beginning. I don't like they way they are playing it, by not calling the recruits for months and hoping they get the hint. I think for a vast majority of the kids the ability to sign for their scholarship the moment it is offered would be better. I know it would change the landscape of how these offers are given out. Yesterday Harbaugh sent out 6 offers to Mbem-Bosse's high school. That would certainly not happen if they could sign right away.

From a strategic standpoint, I just don't get it though. These guys know negative recruiting and should have made this call in November or December rather than ghosting someone in hopes that they just leave themselves. If they were going to do it in January to two guys, they should have just given them the news on the same day rather than taking the hit twice.

I agree, but I hesitate to jump to conclusions about what's really been going on. There's 3 sides to every story and we've only been fed 1 of them.
This is easy to avoid though, which is the part I don't like at all. I do note your point and it's shown a little bit with the Swensen case, but even the "truth" isn't all that palatable. Be honest and forthcoming and everything will be fine IMO.

That's why these non-commitable offers are tough. Sam Webb said the scholarship was contingent on the numbers game from the beginning. I don't like they way they are playing it, by not calling the recruits for months and hoping they get the hint. I think for a vast majority of the kids the ability to sign for their scholarship the moment it is offered would be better. I know it would change the landscape of how these offers are given out. Yesterday Harbaugh sent out 6 offers to Mbem-Bosse's high school. That would certainly not happen if they could sign right away.

From a strategic standpoint, I just don't get it though. These guys know negative recruiting and should have made this call in November or December rather than ghosting someone in hopes that they just leave themselves. If they were going to do it in January to two guys, they should have just given them the news on the same day rather than taking the hit twice.
:goodposting:

I'm afraid you've hired the wrong guy, then.

From an outsider's* perspective, I think the bigger issue is that Harbaugh can't keep on portraying himself as the quirky, crazy guy who will do anything (legally) to get recruits if you're going to also engage in the darker, but legal, side of college football recruiting. When kids perceive themselves getting taken advantage of by a guy who the rest of the world is laughing along with and saying "this guy is a nut, but that's just part of recruiting" they're going to be really willing to share all the "parts of recruiting" that make him look like an #######.

* - (although as a Rutgers fan, I have to hate the success Harbaugh has had in a loaded 2016 NJ class and I curse the day that the decision was made not to fire Flood two years earlier)

From an outsider's* perspective, I think the bigger issue is that Harbaugh can't keep on portraying himself as the quirky, crazy guy who will do anything (legally) to get recruits if you're going to also engage in the darker, but legal, side of college football recruiting. When kids perceive themselves getting taken advantage of by a guy who the rest of the world is laughing along with and saying "this guy is a nut, but that's just part of recruiting" they're going to be really willing to share all the "parts of recruiting" that make him look like an #######.

* - (although as a Rutgers fan, I have to hate the success Harbaugh has had in a loaded 2016 NJ class and I curse the day that the decision was made not to fire Flood two years earlier)
:goodposting:

As I hear more come out about Swensen, it's causing me less concern. Still don't know about Weaver. Kid seems to be a class act. Have to wonder what will be said shortly after signing day when the staff is allowed to comment on individual players. :popcorn:

As these kids commit, I am more and more interested in the comments by the coaching staff after signing day. Replacing a bunch of three stars with other three stars. Swensen being the exception at a four star. Seems like he chose not to camp this summer and relied on his senior tape to be that evaluation. Not sure why he'd go that direction, but ok.

On signing day, February 3rd Michigan will have it's Signing of the Stars.

People supposedly attending

Desmond Howard

Lou Holtz

Josh Gracin

Jessica Szohr

Brad Keselowski

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/columnists/bob-wojnowski/2016/01/26/wojo-harbaughs-ways-led-commitment-issues/79386314/

Jim Harbaugh is doing what he does, testing the boundaries of convention. He’s either the brightest recruiting innovator in college football, or a ruthless game-player who will do whatever it takes to win. Or probably, both.

You don’t have to like it, but you have to understand it. While the commitments, decommitments and melodramatic shrieking continue right up until National Signing Day next Wednesday, be prepared for the hysteria and hypocrisy.

The truth is, this is what Michigan signed up for, justifiably so. It no longer can arrogantly say it does things way differently than Ohio State or Alabama, and that’s fine, as long as rules aren’t broken. The holier-than-them attitude made fans feel good, and they enjoyed sniffing at the undignified ways of Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, even as the Wolverines got their behinds bashed in.

Michigan had standards and still does, but it needed a boost of relentlessness, and Harbaugh is delivering in ways both impressive and unseemly. Some of Harbaugh’s recruiting tactics are uncomfortable, and I’m not talking about the tree-climbing and sleepovers and satellite camps. Those are calculated, harmless attempts to connect.

I’m talking about the juggling of verbal commitments, with four players exiting the 2016 class in the past week for various reasons. Harbaugh needs to do a better job organizing and not accepting every early commitment, and then communicating possible changes. But he also knows the brutal nature of competition, and this is the source of the controversy: He’s working it as hard as anyone, and doing it more publicly than coaches at Michigan have done in the past.

“You have to recognize the landscape has changed, the process has changed, tactics have changed,” Tom Luginbill, ESPN’s national recruiting director, said Tuesday. “Just because you’re Michigan, you can’t do it like you did five, 10, 15 years ago. If you do, you’re gonna be left behind. Harbaugh isn’t crossing a line. This is what he is — he’s quirky, he’s unique, and when I talk to kids, the most important reaction is, he’s authentic.”

But is all of it necessary?

“It’s open season, and the level of competition is so intense, you gotta be on your game at all times,” Luginbill said. “You want the Michigan way or you want to win big time? Because I guarantee you, if you start winning big time, it becomes the Michigan way.”

Method to madness

There’s a reason Harbaugh is the second-highest-paid coach in the country, a reason the Wolverines jumped to 10-3 and are compiling a top-five recruiting class. The methods bother some fans — inside and outside the program — and some media reflexively leap to the defense of the scorned kid.

And no, it’s never a good look when a program nudges aside long-committed players shortly before signing day. Two of them — Rashad Weaver and Erik Swenson — announced they no longer were welcomed by Harbaugh and his staff. Swenson committed two years ago to Brady Hoke, so Harbaugh had less of an attachment.

The “flipping” game is played craftily by coaches and players, so it’s not a one-way problem. That said, the adults bear more responsibility. Coaches aren’t allowed to comment on unsigned recruits, so one side of the story is yet to be told.

“This isn’t exclusive to Michigan or Jim Harbaugh,” Luginbill said. “It’s an unfortunate byproduct of recruiting becoming so accelerated, you’re forced to give offers to sophomores or juniors. It is the negative, darker side of recruiting. You have to make tough choices, and if you offer a kid you’re not sure you want to take, you have to deal with the ramifications.”

Swenson said he was forced out, which is unfortunate, but he’s a four-star offensive tackle with plenty of options. Weaver was a surprise commitment after one of Harbaugh’s satellite camps in Florida. He had offers from Air Force, Columbia, Illinois, Syracuse and Temple, so you could see why he’d jump at Michigan, and why it’s not a surprise Harbaugh found recruits he feels give him a better chance to win.

Weaver expressed his disappointment on Twitter Monday night, but followed up later with this: “Harbaugh is not garbage or trash like u guys are calling him. It’s his team and he knows what he is doing.” By Tuesday morning, Weaver happily announced he’d already landed six more offers.

Under Hoke, Michigan generally had its commitments locked up by the end of August. It was tactful and non-controversial, but there also was a sense of complacency and entitlement.

It’s a nasty game, and top programs can’t simply abstain. But Harbaugh has to be wary of perceptions and be more judicious in his offers. Oversigning is a common practice in the SEC and SEC North (Ohio State). It hasn’t been common at Michigan, and more roster attrition probably is coming. Harbaugh isn’t guaranteeing seniors a fifth year, and clearly isn’t guaranteeing all verbal commitments.

But again, the hypocrisy. If you lament Michigan’s inability to compete at the highest level — no Big Ten title since 2004, no national title since 1997 — then don’t wail when the program does what the big boys do.

Harbaugh is being branded by some as untrustworthy, with the notion it could hurt his recruiting going forward. The reality is, programs like Alabama and Ohio State haven’t been hurt, with their classes always ranked in the top five. They win national titles not by being loyal or nice, but by collecting as much talent as possible and forcing them to compete.

Target for his competition

Harbaugh’s tactics have become the biggest story of this recruiting season, and sniping at him has become the second-biggest story. And he’s fair game every time someone Tweets a photo of a sleepover, or every time a recruit questions what happened.

At Michigan State, Mark Dantonio operates differently and it works for him, although he’s willing to flip a recruit when the opportunity arises. He has 20 commitments, almost all landed months ago. Shortly after Weaver’s decommitment, this message was posted on Dantonio’s Twitter account: “The righteous shall prevail …” It was quickly deleted, then appeared on the timeline of Michigan State recruiting coordinator Curtis Blackwell.

That sure looks like a retort to Harbaugh, who’s a master at sending not-so-subtle messages. He was hired to restore luster to a damaged program and that’s what he’s done in his first year, using every possible path. He plugged holes with transfer quarterbacks — first Jake Rudock, now John O’Korn —and opened holes by suggesting players move on.

Blame the system if you must, but there are no easy fixes. An early signing period? Neither coaches nor players would necessarily benefit. Some recruits would eagerly lock up a spot, and others would sign early and be stuck if the coaching staff changed later.

Harbaugh is doing things his way, a new way for Michigan, a long-accepted way for others. In the process, he’s made himself a target, a role he doesn’t seem to mind. He plays it well, but must play it carefully.

bob.wojnowski@detroitnews.com

Ric Flair (pro wrestling hall of famer)
• Derek Holland (MLB pitcher)
• Mike Shanahan (former NFL head coach)
• Denard Robinson (football alum/NFL running back)
• Jon Jansen (football alum/analyst)
• Brad Keslowski (NASCAR driver)
• Lou Holtz (football analyst)
• Jack Kennedy (football alum/musician)
• Desmond Howard (football alum/analyst)
• Todd McShay (football analyst)
• Jessica Szohr (actress)
• Josh Gracin (musician)

Updated, now with more Nature Boy Ric Flair.

Target Announce Times for Today:

Nate Johnson - 8:15 AM EST

Detroit (MI) DB LaVert Hill- 9-9:30 AM

Rockford (MI) K Quinn Nordin - 11:00 AM

Phoenix (AZ) Brophy Prep DE Connor Murphy - 11:30 AM

Paramus (NJ) DL Rashan Gary - 1PM

Concord (CA) TE Devin Asiasi- 3PM

Concord (CA) DL Boss Tagaloa- 3PM

Norco (CA) ATH Victor Viramontes - 4 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread