What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2020 Michigan Football*** (1 Viewer)

I think Gardner just hasn't gotten it back since that God awful play vs. ND. That play got in his head. Maybe the coaches didn't help him get over it, maybe he just has the yips, I don't know, I'm not in that locker room. I just know he's not been the same QB since that play. This really showed in the first OT play calling, instead of putting the ball in Gardner's hands Borges and Hoke decided to put it on Gibbons' foot.

That was very telling.
Borges believes he has the best kicker in the B1G. Gibbons might be, but if he is, it's not setting a very high bar. I despise the "play for the minimum needed" approach 100% of the time. Borges admitted that's what they were doing. I'm not sure it was more than that. Hopefully they learned from taking that approach and don't do it again.
Thats definitely the micro problem - the playcalling in OT was ludicrous.

But as a macro problem - Borges and Hoke want to be a smashmouth football team - except M isn't. They can't run power. The TE's can't block. At all. Fitz ran 27 times for 27 yards. That's absurd. How do you run that many times when you are getting 1 ypc?

Hoke and Borges HATE the spread - but the reality is that's what this team is best at. Line Gardner up in pistol or shotgun, play Funchess (split out wide), Dileo, Chesson, and Gallon. That's how this team has any success on offense. But the coaches are either too stubborn or too stupid to realize it.

Its quite frustrating.

I think Gardner just hasn't gotten it back since that God awful play vs. ND. That play got in his head. Maybe the coaches didn't help him get over it, maybe he just has the yips, I don't know, I'm not in that locker room. I just know he's not been the same QB since that play. This really showed in the first OT play calling, instead of putting the ball in Gardner's hands Borges and Hoke decided to put it on Gibbons' foot.

That was very telling.
Borges believes he has the best kicker in the B1G. Gibbons might be, but if he is, it's not setting a very high bar. I despise the "play for the minimum needed" approach 100% of the time. Borges admitted that's what they were doing. I'm not sure it was more than that. Hopefully they learned from taking that approach and don't do it again.
Thats definitely the micro problem - the playcalling in OT was ludicrous.

But as a macro problem - Borges and Hoke want to be a smashmouth football team - except M isn't. They can't run power. The TE's can't block. At all. Fitz ran 27 times for 27 yards. That's absurd. How do you run that many times when you are getting 1 ypc?

Hoke and Borges HATE the spread - but the reality is that's what this team is best at. Line Gardner up in pistol or shotgun, play Funchess (split out wide), Dileo, Chesson, and Gallon. That's how this team has any success on offense. But the coaches are either too stubborn or too stupid to realize it.

Its quite frustrating.
Wonder if they'd let us take the team over for a game or 5 :oldunsure:

You'd think there'd be a major emphasis on O-Linemen in each recruiting class, but it's not happening. To their credit they are going and getting weapons, but it seems like O-Line is an after thought.

Am I the only one that didn't know Indiana ran that kind of offense? I didn't see the game live...had to watch the rerun and couldn't figure out for the life of me what the deal was with the score...well, until I saw the game. I'm wondering if Michigan knew they ran that kind of offense...sure didn't seem like they did. They were in panic mode the whole game. Thank God their defense sucks.

Am I the only one that didn't know Indiana ran that kind of offense? I didn't see the game live...had to watch the rerun and couldn't figure out for the life of me what the deal was with the score...well, until I saw the game. I'm wondering if Michigan knew they ran that kind of offense...sure didn't seem like they did. They were in panic mode the whole game. Thank God their defense sucks.
Indiana ran the exact same offense the week before vs MSU. Caught the Spartans off guard the first drive, but they were able to adjust. It's the adjusting part that UM wasn't able to do.

Indiana ran the exact same offense the week before vs MSU. Caught the Spartans off guard the first drive, but they were able to adjust. It's the adjusting part that UM wasn't able to do.
I'll take your word for it. I obviously haven't watched much B1G football this year...it's hard enough to watch the Michigan games. I had no idea Indiana was one of those "up tempo" teams.....I thought RR made it perfectly clear that it wouldn't work in the B1G. I know OSU runs it sorta...at least they did last year, but that was closer to 2 minute pace

I'll take your word for it. I obviously haven't watched much B1G football this year...it's hard enough to watch the Michigan games. I had no idea Indiana was one of those "up tempo" teams.....I thought RR made it perfectly clear that it wouldn't work in the B1G. I know OSU runs it sorta...at least they did last year, but that was closer to 2 minute pace
In their first drive vs MSU, they averaged something like 27 seconds between plays. Not play clock time... that's 27 seconds from the time the player was tackled to the snap of the next play. :oldunsure:

In their first drive vs MSU, they averaged something like 27 seconds between plays. Not play clock time... that's 27 seconds from the time the player was tackled to the snap of the next play. :oldunsure:
Seemed like a lot of this last game they were back at the line snapping the ball in 15 seconds or less :lmao: It was crazy.

They have run that offense all year. I watched them hang 70 on Indiana State on the opening thursday. There was no surprises.

They have run that offense all year. I watched them hang 70 on Indiana State on the opening thursday. There was no surprises.
:wolf:

Brady Hoke not wearing a headset is irritating to me. Is he doing the Spurrier and making decisions on feel?

They need to get on the edges today, Borges playing "Michigan Football" and running the ball into the line all day is not going to win this game.

I grew up hating Sparty more than the Cheater U, but today is a good example of why losing to Michigan State is worse. It's complete destruction, and a reflection on the health of the program. Brady Hoke is no Nick Saban, this we can be certain of.

Brady Hoke not wearing a headset is irritating to me. Is he doing the Spurrier and making decisions on feel?

They need to get on the edges today, Borges playing "Michigan Football" and running the ball into the line all day is not going to win this game.
He's officially lost all credibility with me. His unwillingness to use the players he has to their strengths is mind boggling. This is Borges I am speaking of. Brady needs to be ripping him a new one. Damn near got Gardner killed today.

The Commish said:
Doctor Detroit said:

He's officially lost all credibility with me. His unwillingness to use the players he has to their strengths is mind boggling. This is Borges I am speaking of. Brady needs to be ripping him a new one. Damn near got Gardner killed today.
Gardner got himself killed. Leaving Fitz in there made it worse though.

I was hoping you guys would at least pull a few victories before we get to beat you down at the end of this month to help our S.O.S. Guess not. :kicksrock:

The Commish said:
Doctor Detroit said:

Fitz wasn't able to run effectively, so why not put in a bigger back who can, you know, block?

Gardner sure didn't have much of a touch with the ball today.

The Commish said:
Doctor Detroit said:

Fitz wasn't able to run effectively, so why not put in a bigger back who can, you know, block?

Gardner sure didn't have much of a touch with the ball today.
The only guys that looked prepared were the defense and even then the secondary looked like they were on roller skates. Pretty disappointing considering they were coming off a bye.

Softest Michigan team I have ever seen. Could have easily lost to U-Conn and should have lost to Akron.

Gardner is horrible. Does he coat his hands with Vaseline before games? Gardner can`t ever seem to decide to run or not to run..he will glide and glide to the outside then when he decides to run it is way too late and ends of with no gain or a sack. And you can tell he does not like getting hit at all.

The running game stinks. Derrick Green is a 5 star RB? Green has no speed, no moves and no vision. Green just takes the ball and runs straight until he get hit and that is usually one yard behind the line of scrimmage.

Hoke has to under a little fire..the team is going backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Softest Michigan team I have ever seen. Could have easily lost to U-Conn and should have lost to Akron.

Gardner is horrible. Does he coat his hands with Vaseline before games? Gardner can`t ever seem to decide to run or not to run..he will glide and glide to the outside then when he decides to run it is way too late and ends of with no gain or a sack. And you can tell he does not like getting hit at all.

The running game stinks. Derrick Green is a 5 star RB? Green has no speed, no moves and no vision. Green just takes the ball and runs straight until he get hit and that is usually one yard behind the line of scrimmage.

Looking at their roster, the QB notables seem to be a 3-star RS-sophomore, Russell Bellomy and a 4-star freshman, Shane Morris. Given that this season is a lost cause, should they try one of them - and Derrick Green - to give 'em experience and see what they've got? In a bit of irony, maybe they move Gardner back to WR (filling the role Denard had late last year). :shrug:

But the play-calling has been wretched, as Launch notes. It was quickly clear we weren't going to beat MSU and Nebraska running our normal stuff.

Looking at their roster, the QB notables seem to be a 3-star RS-sophomore, Russell Bellomy and a 4-star freshman, Shane Morris. Given that this season is a lost cause, should they try one of them - and Derrick Green - to give 'em experience and see what they've got? In a bit of irony, maybe they move Gardner back to WR (filling the role Denard had late last year). :shrug:

But the play-calling has been wretched, as Launch notes. It was quickly clear we weren't going to beat MSU and Nebraska running our normal stuff.
Bellomy is out for the season.

I'm a little surprised at the criticism of Gardner. Have you seen the offensive line?

The offensive lien has been horrible. Fitz can't block anyone either. Gardner decision making has been bad (i.e. scrambling toward the rush several times in each of the past few games). The play calling isn't helping the situation. Knowing the blocking problems, the team should be rolling the pocket some to give Gardner some time and passing/rushing lanes.

My question is, where are all these awesome linemen they have recruited that past 3 years? I don't blame Gardner, as soon as he gets the ball he's running for his life. Something needs to happen, coaching wise.

As a MSU grad, i can safely say I cant stand michigan. But the hallmark of Michigan teams in the past was always that they would make better halftime adjustments than the opposition. Nowhere near the case now. That falls in the lap of coaching, from the top down.

ChrisCooleyFan said:
My question is, where are all these awesome linemen they have recruited that past 3 years? I don't blame Gardner, as soon as he gets the ball he's running for his life. Something needs to happen, coaching wise.
They've had two classes of linemen that they "want". They had to salvage RR's class year one. With that said, the offensive line is incredibly dysfunctional. The only thing you have to know is that Lewan's been at just about every position on the line except center thus far. I have zero faith in Borges at this point. He continues to try and fit square pegs in round holes and the younger guys don't seem prepared to step in and play. The o-line is small, the RB is small and can't block. Just a complete trainwreck from top to bottom on the offensive side of the ball at this point.

Everyone said that Borges just didn't know how to use Robinson...now they're saying the same thing about Gardner. Who knows how good Gardner can be when the offensive line is essentially a sieve at this point. They aren't equipped to line up and play manball right now...not sure why they insist on trying to do it.

whoknew said:
I'm a little surprised at the criticism of Gardner. Have you seen the offensive line?
Yeah, the line's bad, and that makes it tough on any QB. But I still haven't been impressed with Gardner's throwing touch and decision making. Just a frustrating year. D in the D makes a good point about Michigan's historical ability to make halftime adjustments ...Michigan used to excel in the 3rd quarter. But that's not happening now, either.

whoknew said:
Yeah, the line's bad, and that makes it tough on any QB. But I still haven't been impressed with Gardner's throwing touch and decision making. Just a frustrating year. D in the D makes a good point about Michigan's historical ability to make halftime adjustments ...Michigan used to excel in the 3rd quarter. But that's not happening now, either.
He's so worried about making turnovers, he's paralyzing himself. They need to help him loosen up somehow. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I was excited he got his medical redshirt for next year...now, I'm not so sure. If they aren't going to use him to his strengths then put him back at WR and let Morris take his lumps.

As a diehard Husker fan, we can certainly feel your pain with high expectations met with absurd gameplay. I can tell you right now that any Nebraska fan that tells you we were going to win that game in that way is F.O.S.

Our D has been nothing short of horrible all year. I had it pegged for a 56-40 drubbing.

Except out of nowhere we completely changed our Defense, And I mean COMPLETELY. 3-4. completely different LB mix, Free'd up Gregory after having him as a down DE all season, We blitz more in one half than the entire season.

I didn't even see a "look" that we'd used before until the start of the 3rd. I think it caught you guys off guard. It sure did for me.

I'm sure, in 20 years, we'll hate each other, but I'd much rather we both be top end programs with big BCS decision games when we play... Hope things get in order soon.

Is Al Borges really making $650,000+ a year or is that a typo?
$650,000 more than he should be making.
Desmond pretty much nails it with his comment:

“We know what’s wrong with Michigan — it’s obvious, they’re one of the youngest teams in the country, there’s no doubt about That, and they can not block up front in the middle from the guard to guard area,” Howard said. “But with that being said, at some point, you have to out-coach your opponent, you have to out-scheme your opponent.”
There's no question they are getting talent at the WR position in the 2014 and 2015 classes, but why should we believe the offensive coaches will be able to use them correctly and coach 'em up??

Enough with the negative stuff, even if it is all true.

How about giving it up for the field goal unit. :thumbup:
I was laughing my butt off about that....it was freakin' awesome. If only they'd have taken that approach in the PSU game. Hoke and company did their BEST mad hatter impression.

My least favorite Michigan team Ive ever had the displeasure of spending my Saturday afternoons watching.

my wife was yelling at the TV. I hope they lose! they deserve to lose! fred flintstone can't take any credit for a win here!

Does Gardner coat his hands with Vaseline before games?
I find it quite the opposite...he seems to have problems getting the ball out of his hands. Seems like they'll get 6-7 yards on 1st down, then on second he's sacked for a 10 yard loss.....rinse and repeat. With this team at least you know the defense is going to keep them in most games. With RR at the helm, they go down by 10 and the game was over. That said, I'm not sure the defense came out for the second half.

Users who are viewing this thread