What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bump Finley (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
I really hope the Packers part ways with this joker. He is a blowhard who can't perform in the clutch. They did just fine with Quarless back there last season. They have DJ Williams in the wings and they could really do without Finley's mouth next year. He's a me guy who lacks the maturity and accountability. Good riddance I hope.

I agree. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the league right now. Or at least, he was. I think people are starting to see that he is not the beast he was made out to be.

I don't know he's still young and has boatloads of physical talent. Mentally he's not there yet but he does put in the time in the offseason. Hopefully he matures. TE's with his combo of size and speed don't grow on trees. I don't think the Pack should break the bank for him but if they can tag him at the TE level (Between 5 & 6 million a year) then they should sign him.

People were ready to run Vernon Davis out of town due to maturity issues and look how that turned out for the 49ers.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet. He was a beast in that Packers-Cardinals game a couple years back. He has had some great moments too.

I don't know he's still young and has boatloads of physical talent. Mentally he's not there yet but he does put in the time in the offseason. Hopefully he matures. TE's with his combo of size and speed don't grow on trees. I don't think the Pack should break the bank for him but if they can tag him at the TE level (Between 5 & 6 million a year) then they should sign him.People were ready to run Vernon Davis out of town due to maturity issues and look how that turned out for the 49ers.
Maturity issues or not, VD didn't have Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. I think if he had, his numbers would have been there. The bottom line with Finley is that his numbers aren't there. His rate stats are terrible, especially compared to those of other Green Bay receivers, and suggest that Rodgers would have been wise to have ignored him entirely this season. Yesterday is a prime example... He led the Pack with 9 targets, but had just 4 receptions for 37 yards. Meanwhile you have a guy like Cobb with 3 targets for 3 receptions and 38 yards. More or less the same production on a third of the targets. That's been the story for Finley this season more often than not.

He is following Vernon Davis' career path. The crappy part anyway.
Right. The only problem is he's doing it in a far superior situation to what Davis was in early in his career. As I said above, I think Davis would have thrived much sooner had he had Rodgers as his QB early in his career.

The one bright spot of Singletary's tenure in SF is that he was the clear motivating factor in turning VD around. It's clear to me that the Packers should fire McCarthy and hire Singletary. Problem solved.

Right. The only problem is he's doing it in a far superior situation to what Davis was in early in his career. As I said above, I think Davis would have thrived much sooner had he had Rodgers as his QB early in his career.
Great post. It gets me angry when he celebrates like an idiot on the ONE catch he managed to not drop out of the 10 thrown to him. He's so talented but so Gdamn frustrating to watch. I'm not sure if I'm ready to send him packing, though. He just has so much talent, size and speed that if GB does decide to unload him they should at least get a 1st rounder for him. Maybe a 2nd? I suppose all of his drops has hurt his value though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post. It gets me angry when he celebrates like an idiot on the ONE catch he managed to not drop out of the 10 thrown to him. He's so talented but so Gdamn frustrating to watch. I'm not sure if I'm ready to send him packing, though. He just has so much talent, size and speed that if GB does decide to unload him they should at least get a 1st rounder for him. Maybe a 2nd? I suppose all of his drops has hurt his value though.
I sold high just prior to the start of the 2011 season. Traded him for Santonio Holmes, a 2012 1st rd pick (ended up being #2 overall) and a 2013 and 2014 2nd round pick.

I sold high just prior to the start of the 2011 season. Traded him for Santonio Holmes, a 2012 1st rd pick (ended up being #2 overall) and a 2013 and 2014 2nd round pick.
Damn. Nice haul. :thumbup:

I don't know he's still young and has boatloads of physical talent. Mentally he's not there yet but he does put in the time in the offseason. Hopefully he matures. TE's with his combo of size and speed don't grow on trees. I don't think the Pack should break the bank for him but if they can tag him at the TE level (Between 5 & 6 million a year) then they should sign him.People were ready to run Vernon Davis out of town due to maturity issues and look how that turned out for the 49ers.
Maturity issues or not, VD didn't have Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. I think if he had, his numbers would have been there. The bottom line with Finley is that his numbers aren't there. His rate stats are terrible, especially compared to those of other Green Bay receivers, and suggest that Rodgers would have been wise to have ignored him entirely this season. Yesterday is a prime example... He led the Pack with 9 targets, but had just 4 receptions for 37 yards. Meanwhile you have a guy like Cobb with 3 targets for 3 receptions and 38 yards. More or less the same production on a third of the targets. That's been the story for Finley this season more often than not.
But Finley's still young and he does work hard in practice. I can't explain what's going on this year. As a Packer fan he's very frustrating to watch. Maybe he's pressing too hard I don't know. What I do know the 2nd half of 2009 he was unstoppable. I like to think he could get refocused and perform at that level once again. I think Thompson realizes his talents as well and will resign him. No doubt Finley was a major disappointment this year but I hope the Packers aren't quite ready to give up on him yet.

Damn. Nice haul. :thumbup:
I know! It was an unbelievable return. I could barely contain my excitement when he made the offer. He thought Finley was the final piece to his championship team. Thankfully, he had an awful season and that #2 overall rookie pick is looking pretty good.

Rotoworld.com

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel expects the Packers to use the franchise tag on free agent Jermichael Finley.The decision would be to tag Finley over Matt Flynn. The Journal-Sentinel suspects that franchising Flynn is too risky for GM Ted Thompson because the Packers would guarantee him $14 million if they didn't find a trade partner. Finley is coming off a highly disappointing season, but is believed to be amenable to the tag and would get one more year to earn a long-term commitment.Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Jan 16 - 6:22 PM
To me, this is just stunning that they really don't believe someone will bite on Flynn. Worst case, they get a 2nd rounder. For a team that does a good job building through the draft, it simply makes no sense.In a lockout offseason and a 2010 season that he looked Trent Edwards-like, Kolb got a 2nd + DRC.Problem with Finley is, outside of frequently dropping easy passes, the guy never comes up with the difficult ones either.

I own Finley in several leagues. And while his numbers were pretty average to slightly above average for a "top tier" TE, if you have him, you probably overpaid for his services and you expected a much higher return. Then you consider 3 of his 8 TD's came in one game so he blew his wad in that one game.

The guy has bricks for hands. That is obvious. He either body catches too often or just lets the ball clank off his hands. I laughed when he dropped that one pass in the game this weekend. The commentators were blaming it on Rodgers...it hit Finley in his hands! Sure, he had to lunge a little for it, maybe Rodgers led him a little too much, but the ball went right off of Finley's hands. An athlete with his "physical gifts" should have come up with it. I'm sure VD or Gronk would have caught that ball.

He's just far too overrated for what he's putting on the field. With all the weapons GB has, he has to do better with the opportunities he's given.

'Warpig said:
I own Finley in several leagues. And while his numbers were pretty average to slightly above average for a "top tier" TE, if you have him, you probably overpaid for his services and you expected a much higher return. Then you consider 3 of his 8 TD's came in one game so he blew his wad in that one game.The guy has bricks for hands. That is obvious. He either body catches too often or just lets the ball clank off his hands. I laughed when he dropped that one pass in the game this weekend. The commentators were blaming it on Rodgers...it hit Finley in his hands! Sure, he had to lunge a little for it, maybe Rodgers led him a little too much, but the ball went right off of Finley's hands. An athlete with his "physical gifts" should have come up with it. I'm sure VD or Gronk would have caught that ball.He's just far too overrated for what he's putting on the field. With all the weapons GB has, he has to do better with the opportunities he's given.
Finley's drops were definitely a sore spot for Packer fans this year. Going into this season however, people that cover the Packers repeatedly talked of how Finley had the best hands on the team. The drops clearly got into his head early this year and he just never got out of that funk. So the question going forward is which is the real Finley? The guy with the best hands on the team, or the one that struggled all year with drops? My guess is that Thompson has a much better idea about that than anybody outside the organization.

His mouth was the problem. Calling for the ball and then dropping it. He should be ashamed of himself. But I doubt he is.

I agree. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the league right now. Or at least, he was. I think people are starting to see that he is not the beast he was made out to be.
opinion might be a little different if he played for a team with a QB that didnt insist on throwing the ball to 12 different receivers every game.

His mouth was the problem. Calling for the ball and then dropping it. He should be ashamed of himself. But I doubt he is.
Not sure how sincere he is, but he does sound ashamed. Then again, he didn't exactly wipe the slate clean the other day:
Impending free agent Jermichael Finley said Wednesday that he's "pissed" about his performance in the 2011 regular season."A guy like me, I’m pretty pissed off about the season I had," he said. "I view it as mediocre. An average season – just because of the level of play I know I can play at. I don’t think I played well this year." Finley led all tight ends and ranked fifth in the league in drops (11). The offseason franchise tag candidate insists he's "wiping the slate clean" for the playoffs. Jan. 12 - 11:33 am et

His rate stats are terrible, especially compared to those of other Green Bay receivers, and suggest that Rodgers would have been wise to have ignored him entirely this season. Yesterday is a prime example... He led the Pack with 9 targets, but had just 4 receptions for 37 yards. Meanwhile you have a guy like Cobb with 3 targets for 3 receptions and 38 yards. More or less the same production on a third of the targets. That's been the story for Finley this season more often than not.
2011 TE rankings

sounds like people are made at his fantasy production. guy is a solid TE. people are blaming him for the fact that packers got outplayed on sunday. and a few of those throws were rodgers fault completely, not finley

sounds like people are made at his fantasy production. guy is a solid TE. people are blaming him for the fact that packers got outplayed on sunday. and a few of those throws were rodgers fault completely, not finley
As a Packer Fan and Finley owner in re-draft, I'm disappointed about his season but I'm not ready to write him off, just yet. He had a fluke injury in 2010 but he came back strong, obviously doing a good job of re-habbing in an off season where the team facilities were not available to him. If someone can mentor him and help him mature as a person and a player, he's probably worth tagging. As stated above, physical freaks like him don't grow on trees.

:goodposting: First thing I thought of after reading the first two posts.

Just a season ago, it was commonly reported that Finley had the best hands on the team. His physical attributes are self-evident.

There really is no reason why he couldn't be as dominant as some of the guys we saw this year.

I honestly think part of his "problem" is he is on a team that likes to spread the ball around. The other part is he is used in so many ways and maybe he just hasn't mentally gotten that part down yet. He is used all over the field. He had to block a lot when the line was having their issues. Then they got cute and had him blocking + releasing. He is in motion. He is in the slot. I mean, yeah, he should be able to make that his advantage. But maybe he simply hasn't got it all yet. Rodgers and Flynn both said it took multiple years to "get" this system and Finley missed a whole year pretty much last season.

Yes he drops some easy ones. Yes he gets tagged as dropping some that were very difficult. But he is running some pretty intricate routes and Rodgers has his share of misplaced balls at times.

Finley was a let down this year, I agree. But I also feel very confident in that if he goes somewhere else he may turn out to be a value buy next year. Heck, if he stays there and just works on improving the catches just a bit, he is a top 5.

He was a top 10 THIS year and was in the same group as vernon, gates (although he DID miss time), Witten, and Gonzo. That's great company. If he improves his drops by just 25%, he is a top 5 catch guy and flirts with 1000 yards.

All in all, Finley hurt himself by having some big drops; buts that also suggests that the team was willing to use him in some big opportunity situations. Like I said, just a 25% improvement and he would be ahead of every TE on the list, sans Gronk and Graham who both had all-time great seasons. Part of Finley's "problem" was that he disappointed in a year where the league was captivated by two guys that are very similar to him so he draws a tough comparison.

Finley's "disappointment wasn't any more that what people expected of Witten or Clark (obviously a different situaiton). People just tend to overreact.

But its not truly his ability that is in question, as many are alluding to. I guarantee if we wake up on morning in April and read that Finley signed as a FA with San Diego or Carolina or Detroit (and the incumbents there moved somewhere else, etc), then people would be drooling about Finley.

Conversely, after watching this year, if Gronk or Graham went to Green Bay, people would know they have to temper their expectations. If Graham and Finley traded teams, we all know Finley would be unstoppable having Mr. 70% accuracy throwing it a foot over every DBs head to finley 12 times a game. Much of this is situational more than it is an indication of finley's ability.

'Warpig said:
I own Finley in several leagues. And while his numbers were pretty average to slightly above average for a "top tier" TE, if you have him, you probably overpaid for his services and you expected a much higher return. Then you consider 3 of his 8 TD's came in one game so he blew his wad in that one game.The guy has bricks for hands. That is obvious. He either body catches too often or just lets the ball clank off his hands. I laughed when he dropped that one pass in the game this weekend. The commentators were blaming it on Rodgers...it hit Finley in his hands! Sure, he had to lunge a little for it, maybe Rodgers led him a little too much, but the ball went right off of Finley's hands. An athlete with his "physical gifts" should have come up with it. I'm sure VD or Gronk would have caught that ball.He's just far too overrated for what he's putting on the field. With all the weapons GB has, he has to do better with the opportunities he's given.
Finley's drops were definitely a sore spot for Packer fans this year. Going into this season however, people that cover the Packers repeatedly talked of how Finley had the best hands on the team. The drops clearly got into his head early this year and he just never got out of that funk. So the question going forward is which is the real Finley? The guy with the best hands on the team, or the one that struggled all year with drops? My guess is that Thompson has a much better idea about that than anybody outside the organization.
The "he has has the best hands on the team" line probably has to do with what he shows in practice. some guys are practice studs, and Finley is likely one of those guys. But making circus catches in practice, and catching every ball thrown your way, is a far cry from a real game situation where so much more is at stake, the game is much faster, and defenders are trying to tear your head off. My guess is what we saw from Finely on the field this season is what we're going to get going forward. I don't care how talented a guy is, and how beastly he looks in practice. He has to be able to step up in game situations. It's possible Finley is just another in a long line of freakish athletes who wow in practice, and at times on the football field, but whose promise never fully translates to real game situations.

His rate stats are terrible, especially compared to those of other Green Bay receivers, and suggest that Rodgers would have been wise to have ignored him entirely this season. Yesterday is a prime example... He led the Pack with 9 targets, but had just 4 receptions for 37 yards. Meanwhile you have a guy like Cobb with 3 targets for 3 receptions and 38 yards. More or less the same production on a third of the targets. That's been the story for Finley this season more often than not.
2011 TE rankings
I like FO, I think their metrics are generally solid, but I don't think they're the end all be all so to speak. Furthermore, I'm not comparing him to other TE's. Other TE's didn't have Aaron Rodgers slinging them the ball. I'd rather compare his performance to the performance of his teammates, and he doesn't look nearly as good when we do that.

'Warpig said:
The "he has has the best hands on the team" line probably has to do with what he shows in practice. some guys are practice studs, and Finley is likely one of those guys. But making circus catches in practice, and catching every ball thrown your way, is a far cry from a real game situation where so much more is at stake, the game is much faster, and defenders are trying to tear your head off. My guess is what we saw from Finely on the field this season is what we're going to get going forward. I don't care how talented a guy is, and how beastly he looks in practice. He has to be able to step up in game situations. It's possible Finley is just another in a long line of freakish athletes who wow in practice, and at times on the football field, but whose promise never fully translates to real game situations.
I mean no insult to you by this, but I'll trust Ted Thompson's opinion. What he does with Finley will speak volumes. He obviously has seen this guy every day for the last 4 years. Practice, study habits, game tape, etc. Thompson knows it all.

'Warpig said:
I mean no insult to you by this, but I'll trust Ted Thompson's opinion. What he does with Finley will speak volumes. He obviously has seen this guy every day for the last 4 years. Practice, study habits, game tape, etc. Thompson knows it all.
Oh no offense taken. I'm just speculating. I've been wrong enough times in my life to know that I could be wrong again. Just one guy's opinion.

Finley isn't really a ridiculous athlete or physical specimen, folks. He ran a 4.67 at the combine and his vert was under 30" - he's certainly no Vernon Davis athletically. He's good enough to offer solid production because he plays in a stellar passing offense, but he's never going to physically dominate on an NFL field. Lots of people (admittedly including myself) drank the kool aid based on the end of the 2009 season and the playoffs that year, but at this point, the guy is what he is - an average NFL tight end on a great passing team. I think his production this year is about what I'd expect moving forward.

2011 TE rankings
I like FO, I think their metrics are generally solid, but I don't think they're the end all be all so to speak. Furthermore, I'm not comparing him to other TE's. Other TE's didn't have Aaron Rodgers slinging them the ball. I'd rather compare his performance to the performance of his teammates, and he doesn't look nearly as good when we do that.
He's a TE though. He's most likely running a different route tree than Nelson, Jennings, Driver, Jones and Cobb.

'Tackling Dummies said:
'thatguy said:
'Tackling Dummies said:
2011 TE rankings
He's a TE though. He's most likely running a different route tree than Nelson, Jennings, Driver, Jones and Cobb.
Fair enough. Still, his catch percentage was not very good considering Rodger's completion percentage, and TE's typically have higher catch rates than WR's, and that is because of their different route trees. Truth be told, I was actually surprised that he was as high as he was in both DYAR and DVOA. I put more value in DVOA as it's more of a pure rate stat, and in that Finley was 9th--pretty good but not great. Still, a lot higher than I'd have thought. Even so, 10th in DVOA was Anthony Fasano who Finley beat out by 0.2% points... Not exactly stellar company. And again, Finley was receiving passes from Aaron Rodgers

It seems people are letting Finley's fantasy value cloud their judgement as to his NFL value. He must give DCs nightmares when they thinking up schemes to try to cover him. I just read on PFT that the Packers want to give him long term contract.

It seems people are letting Finley's fantasy value cloud their judgement as to his NFL value. He must give DCs nightmares when they thinking up schemes to try to cover him. I just read on PFT that the Packers want to give him long term contract.
Being reported in the Milwaukee area as well.

Being reported in the Milwaukee area as well.
I am not sure this is news. They have been trying to work out a long-term deal with Finley for a while now. Finley wants top tier WR money, not TE money. The Pack and him are not close with their numbers. Finley and his agent have told the Pack that, if franchised, he will "push for the wide receiver franchise tag". That means the Pack will fill out paperwork to franchise him at the TE position, but that his agent will force mediation where they will argue he is a wide receiver.

I think you might have this backwards. FF players have been drooling over Finley's potential/talent for over two years now. Coming into this and last season he was considered by many as the top dynasty TE, and by almost all as a top tier option. Many fantasy owners are hanging onto the hope that what he showed two years ago, and at times this season, will become the norm; the hope that his talent and physical presence will eventually materialize fully on the field and that he'll become an elite fantasy option. If anything, fantasy football players are overvaluing him based on on an inability to let go of unreasonably high expectations they had for him to begin with. Meanwhile, the Finley that we're seeing on the field is just not producing at the level that his fantasy owners have been hoping for/expecting. And perhaps, it's time to start considering that possibility that what we see with Finley now is all we're ever going to see.

Sometimes if you have a good "Beware of Dog" sign, you don't even need to actually own a dog...

It seems people are letting Finley's fantasy value cloud their judgement as to his NFL value. He must give DCs nightmares when they thinking up schemes to try to cover him.
So tired of hearing Packers fans trying to prop this guy up. Nobody is concerned about letting Finley hurt them. He's proven himself to be the least effective receiver in that offense.

If Graham and Finley traded teams, we all know Finley would be unstoppable having Mr. 70% accuracy throwing it a foot over every DBs head to finley 12 times a game. Much of this is situational more than it is an indication of finley's ability.
LOL. This is stupid. Finley couldn't sniff Graham's jock. What a load of garbage.

It seems people are letting Finley's fantasy value cloud their judgement as to his NFL value. He must give DCs nightmares when they thinking up schemes to try to cover him.
So tired of hearing Packers fans trying to prop this guy up. Nobody is concerned about letting Finley hurt them. He's proven himself to be the least effective receiver in that offense.
I believe many Packer fans have visions of getting an extra 1st round pick if they franchise Flynn. They want to convince themselves that Finley is no big loss and doesn't deserve the franchise tag even though the franchise tender for a TE is 8-9 millions dollar cheaper than that for a QB. I am just happy to point out that the team doesn't seem to see it that way.

'Luke Skywalker said:
'Donnybrook said:
Did you watch the games? Finley was often the target of double coverage or a rolled safety. Rodgers is such a good QB and has enough very good options that there was no need to force feed Finley. That sucks for Finley's fantasy owners, but when the D focuses that much on a TE, that bodes well for the Packer offense. Finley is a superb weapon, and defenses know that.

'Luke Skywalker said:
'Donnybrook said:
Did you watch the games? Finley was often the target of double coverage or a rolled safety. Rodgers is such a good QB and has enough very good options that there was no need to force feed Finley. That sucks for Finley's fantasy owners, but when the D focuses that much on a TE, that bodes well for the Packer offense. Finley is a superb weapon, and defenses know that.
I watched every Pack game and this is simply not true. Fantasy owners use this excuse when a player does not live up to lofty expectations (see Dez Bryant threads :ptts: ). The truth is that Aaron Rodgers has better weapons. No one on the Pack has softer hands than Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings is 28 years old and in his prime. If you want to write off old man Driver and ignore Cobb, then Finley is the 3rd best target. Beyond that, defenses cannot afford to double cover a single WR or TE all the time. The offense would adjust, such as sending the double covered man in motion out of the play area and then exploiting the holes. Double coverage on a single receiver works against weak teams with just one or two playmakers, not one of the best WR groups in the NFL with the league MVP chucking the rock deep.This Packer homer thinks that Finley is a lollygagger.

Users who are viewing this thread