What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bump Finley (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Free agent Jermichael Finley (neck surgery) "could be on the Patriots' radar."
Finley is meeting with an unnamed team on Friday, which the Patriots' website believes "sounds a lot like something Bill Belichick would ask." New England has yet to fill the move tight end role in their offense, with D.J. Williams currently getting the majority of snaps there during OTAs. Finley was cleared by an independent doctor earlier this week. The Packers are also showing interest in bringing him back.

Related: Patriots

Source: Patriots.com

Rotoworld:

Free agent Jermichael Finley (neck surgery) "could be on the Patriots' radar."
Finley is meeting with an unnamed team on Friday, which the Patriots' website believes "sounds a lot like something Bill Belichick would ask." New England has yet to fill the move tight end role in their offense, with D.J. Williams currently getting the majority of snaps there during OTAs. Finley was cleared by an independent doctor earlier this week. The Packers are also showing interest in bringing him back.

Source: Patriots.com
how high would his value rise if he signed with them? I've been trying to sell cheap, but I think once he signs (with anyone (NYG, GB, NE, Miami, etc), his value rises dramatically. Might be worth it to send out some flier offers if you don't own him

Rotoworld:

Jermichael Finley - TE - Free Agent

Profootballtalk.com reports the Seahawks have dropped out of the running to sign free agent Jermichael Finley.

No details are given on why Seattle dropped out, but to this point they were his lone known visit of free agency. Per PFT, "other interested teams are believed to be the Packers and Giants," and Finley met with an unknown club on Friday. We suspect Finley will end up with the G-Men, Pack, or Patriots, assuming his neck checks out. Finley's agent recently claimed he is medically cleared.

Related: Seahawks

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Jun 1 - 6:31 PM

Rotoworld:

Free agent TE Jermichael Finley visited the Patriots.

New England was Finley's "mystery" visit on Friday. Recovering from neck surgery, Finley has received clearance from at least one doctor, but could still fail many teams' physicals. If cleared, he'd be a worthy flier for a Patriots team that got caught short at tight end last season.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Jun 2 - 5:18 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Raiders are showing interest in free agent Jermichael Finley, while he also visited the Steelers.

Finley's market appears to be heating up some, even after the Seahawks reportedly dropped out of the running. Finley visited the Patriots last Friday, though it's been reported they just want to review his medicals. The Steelers' team doctor performed Finley's neck surgery and recently cleared him for football activities. RapSheet reports Finley was recently in Pittsburgh to talk to the doctor once again. In Oakland, the Raiders are simply searching for someone to man tight end. Ex-Packer James Jones could help recruit Finley to the Black Hole.

Related: Raiders, Steelers

Source: NFL.com

Jun 4 - 2:57 PM

cstu said:
Finley is going through the motions but ultimately he'll retire and collect his $10M.
I'm wondering if he has to go through the motions in order to collect his $10m. I mean, wouldn't the insurance only pay if he couldn't find work due to the injury? Wouldn't he have to prove that he couldn't find work? If the Raiders, for instance, offer him a 1 year deal for $1m, would that nullify the insurance payout?

cstu said:
Finley is going through the motions but ultimately he'll retire and collect his $10M.
I'm wondering if he has to go through the motions in order to collect his $10m. I mean, wouldn't the insurance only pay if he couldn't find work due to the injury? Wouldn't he have to prove that he couldn't find work? If the Raiders, for instance, offer him a 1 year deal for $1m, would that nullify the insurance payout?
I believe this is what he has to do to collect.

There's a difference between finding work (i.e. 1 year/$1M deal) and returning to his old position (starting TE). If all he can get is a 1 year near minimum deal (basically no risk to the team and not a sign they believe he'll stay healthy to play football) then he has a good chance of winning his insurance settlement.

Last edited by a moderator:
cstu said:
I'm about as close to 100% sure as I can be without seeing his insurance paperwork that he did not need to have the neck surgery to collect his $10 million. That alone would cause him to fail any physical.

So the fact he "elected" to have the surgery is a huge sign he really wants to play.

I don't think he's going through the motions but I can still him not playing for two reasons. One is getting medically cleared by the doctor of the team wanting to sign him. The second issue, and one I'm more unsure about, is if he gets medical clearance by a team but is only offered a minimum level contract can he at that point retire and collect his money? I think he can but just not sure.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Jermichael Finley (neck) will undergo another round of tests Wednesday, and will send the results to all 32 teams.

Finley hopes to have a job when most training camps open next week, and points to the Packers as his most likely landing spot, though the Steelers have made an offer. "It's all a waiting game," Finley said. "Pittsburgh have showed me a couple deals, but we all know the money ain't what it's supposed to be. If I quit the game right now, I can take tax-free money, and that's a difficult thing that I'm going through with myself." If Finley were to never play another down in the NFL, he can collect $10 million. He plans to bypass that and continue his career.

Source: USA Today

Jul 14 - 10:40 PM

Take the $10 million tax free, Finley. Invest, become a coach, go to school, something other than play football. Injury risk is not worth it and the injury risk >>>> future monies.

Take the $10 million tax free, Finley. Invest, become a coach, go to school, something other than play football. Injury risk is not worth it and the injury risk >>>> future monies.
I thought I saw somewhere that he would have to prove that the injury results in him not being able to get work, but actively tried if he was cleared. Since he is cleared, it's not a choice of $10m to sit on a couch or play football. If he's cleared by his doctor (he is) then he has to actively try to get a job and if he can't then he can collect.

It's like getting in an accident and then looking at the car and just saying "Damn, well looks like insurance will give me the money for a new one." No, you have to take it to a shop and see if it's cheaper to get the car fixed and going again. If no team is willing to take the risk on Finley being "fixed" then he can collect.

I may be wrong, but this is what I've heard.

No way he gets that $10M if he is cleared to play. If the Steelers offered him a spot and he declined because he did not like the $ amount, that is his problem, not the insurance company's. These insurance guys are very smart and no way they give this $10M to Finley. He better hope he gets an offer he likes and takes it. He is an idiot for confessing he got an offer from Pitts and he just did not like the $. Insurance company's gonna use that against him for sure in any arbitration hearing, which is where this will end up. No one gives you $10M without it landing up in a court.

No way he gets that $10M if he is cleared to play. If the Steelers offered him a spot and he declined because he did not like the $ amount, that is his problem, not the insurance company's. These insurance guys are very smart and no way they give this $10M to Finley. He better hope he gets an offer he likes and takes it. He is an idiot for confessing he got an offer from Pitts and he just did not like the $. Insurance company's gonna use that against him for sure in any arbitration hearing, which is where this will end up. No one gives you $10M without it landing up in a court.
Finley can't be expected to put his life on the line for an unguaranteed contract. IIRC, his insurance policy has wording that he needs to receive a contract offer similar to what he was worth prior to the injury. He won't get that and I'd bet my life savings he's done with the NFL and will be able to collect on the insurance.

It's like him and the pack are playing cat and mouse
I don't think so, I think he's just having a hard time getting cleared by their physician and possibly every physician in the league. He's taking a round of tests today they said would be sent to all 32 teams. He tweeted out earlier today, big day, I take it meant doing well on the tests. If he fails to get clearance based on those tests things will start to look increasingly more dire for him. I don't think he'd test again for at least another month and by that time he'd almost be relying on an injury to get any kind of money thrown his way, and if it gets to a point he still has to take tests next month and does not pass I think his window to play again will shut. He can't file the claim until a year after the injury, which I'd have to think he'd do if he can't get cleared in time to get a decent contract.

He's going through a divorce. It sounds his business in Green Bay is likely related to that. Sources on both sides have said that nothing has changed, according to Rob Demovsky, who covers the Packers for ESPN.

Rotoworld:

Jermichael Finley - TE - Free Agent

Free agent Jermichael Finley is visiting the Packers' team doctor on Wednesday afternoon to "view MRIs and talk."

According to ESPN Wisconsin's Jason Wilde, there remains "nothing imminent" between Finley and his former team, however. It will be a major blow to Finley's chances of suiting up in 2014 if he doesn't get some good news on Wednesday.

Related: Packers

Source: Jason Wilde on Twitter

Jul 17 - 2:25 PM

I think we are at the point that we can drop Finley on even the larger dynasty rosters. I have been holding out hope for a return but we are getting far enough in training camp and he still hasn't been cleared and signed. I don't see Finley returning to the NFL.

It is looking less and less likely he comes back. Even though it isn't directly related, when you see David Wilson shutting it down, it echoes the current thought around the league in that they just aren't going to monkey around with these things.

Players with neck injuries are going to be on LONG recovery paths with no guarantees to play again.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky recently ran into free agent TE Jermichael Finley, and came away believing Finley "seemed to be in a good place in his life without football."
Back in October, Finley filed a claim on his $10 million insurance policy tied to suffering a career-ending injury. It appears Finley has conceded his career is over after neck surgery. Finley visited several teams last fall, but couldn't gain medical clearance to play. He turns 28 later this month.

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 1 - 1:19 PM

The only bump Finley's getting these days is from a coconut falling on his head as he sips drinks by the beach.

He better get another $10 million insurance policy to cover that.

Loved that guy. Drafted him 3 years in a row after that SB performance. I hope 10m is enough for him to live the good life.

Rotoworld:

Former Packers TE Jermichael Finley has formally retired from football.

The 28-year-old never got cleared after neck surgery. He was known to be retired last October, when Finley filed a claim on his $10 million insurance policy tied to suffering a career-ending injury. Finley was a top-five fantasy tight end in 2011, but never finished in the top 12 otherwise in a six-year career.

Oct 19 - 4:04 PM

Rotoworld:

The 28-year-old never got cleared after neck surgery. He was known to be retired last October, when Finley filed a claim on his $10 million insurance policy tied to suffering a career-ending injury. Finley was a top-five fantasy tight end in 2011, but never finished in the top 12 otherwise in a six-year career.

This is merely a ploy to motivate Jermichael Finley.

Bump Finley in all formats.

Loved that guy. Drafted him 3 years in a row after that SB performance. I hope 10m is enough for him to live the good life.
For people who have any concept of the value of money, $10M is more than enough to live "the good life." Unfortunately the way some people manage their money, it might give him a few years. I hope that he's smart enough to act accordingly.

For people who have any concept of the value of money, $10M is more than enough to live "the good life." Unfortunately the way some people manage their money, it might give him a few years. I hope that he's smart enough to act accordingly.
He had an insurance policy in place and took the $10 mil guaranteed rather than test the NFL waters again so maybe he's not so dumb.

Rotoworld:

This is merely a ploy to motivate Jermichael Finley.

Bump Finley in all formats.
Part of me is sad to think that this may be the last time we Bump Finley. Will the Shark Pool be the same without bumping Finley?

He had an insurance policy in place and took the $10 mil guaranteed rather than test the NFL waters again so maybe he's not so dumb.
I hear you...but taking the money vs. taking the money and managing it wisely over a hopefully-long remaining lifetime are different challenges.

Users who are viewing this thread