What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (3 Viewers)

Premier

Footballguy
Butch Davis allegedly hired today.

You know last year was bad when you think "whoa that guy is waaaay better than any other coach we had last year".

Should be an interesting few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love Richardson as well. You have to think the Glazers feel like they need to sell some tickets. Dynamic offensive players certainly do that.

If they make a couple moves in free agency on the defensive side of the ball and at WR we'll know a bit better where they're leaning in the draft. They've already been rumored as players for Vincent Jackson and Mario Williams.

It woud be a good pick but wouldn't make up for passing on Adrian Peterson (but alot of people passed and have the same regret)...

Washington is another...Landry wasn't a bad pick but not ADP.

I think the Bucs have to be thinking Morris Claiborne here. You figure Talib is going on trial soon and probably won't be back, and Ronde is on his last legs. The corner position is the most critical need for the Bucs. As much as some will rave about Richardson, it's not a need. They have to face Brees, Ryan, and Cam 6 times a year, ouch! Draft Claiborne (mark it in pen) at the 5 spot. Absolute no brainer.

This team gave up an AVERAGE of 37.25 points over the last 8 games of the season. A RB is not a luxury they can afford with the 5th overall pick. They need to address their real problems on defense.

This team gave up an AVERAGE of 37.25 points over the last 8 games of the season. A RB is not a luxury they can afford with the 5th overall pick. They need to address their real problems on defense.
I don't necessarily disagree, but a strong running game helps control the ball and the clock and thus helps keep your defense off the field.The Bucs are well under the cap so they could imrove this team through FA and the draft - the cap room and their draft picks are both assets that can be used to maximize improvements. It wouldn't shock me at all if the team drafts Richardson and looks to slow games down in a division with some solid offensive teams.

I don't necessarily disagree, but a strong running game helps control the ball and the clock and thus helps keep your defense off the field.The Bucs are well under the cap so they could imrove this team through FA and the draft - the cap room and their draft picks are both assets that can be used to maximize improvements. It wouldn't shock me at all if the team drafts Richardson and looks to slow games down in a division with some solid offensive teams.
Key point here, this year we're back to FA before the draft. It's very hard to speculate who the pick should be as the team needs could be totally different after free agency. I feel it's more likely they can address the offense during FA and would therefore recommend a defensive pick at #5.At the end of the day though this team needs playmakers of any kind and if Richardson is that good then take him and sort the rest out later.

A rookie corner doesn't do anything for you right away. I think they address corner in free agency -- a lot of them out there.

A rookie corner doesn't do anything for you right away. I think they address corner in free agency -- a lot of them out there.
I agree, but your biggest weakness is the secondary. You really actually need 2 good corners, the Bucs situation is that dire. You might want to try wooing Standford Routt who was recently cut by the Raiders, (although I hear that both Buffalo and Tennessee are hot on his trail). And you really need Claiborne. He's going to be your biggest difference maker. It won't matter if you have the second coming of ADP in Richardson. If Brees, Cam, Ryan and Co., etc. continue to light up the Buc's secondary for 30+ pts per game, any RB will be grounded and Freeman will be passing for his life. Don't listen to the Richardson camp. Total luxury and waste of a good pick.

Didn't notice this thread....but love the Butch hire. Maybe this team is going to start trying again.

As far as the draft....I've read with the $$ we have tied up in Joseph, another OL may be unlikely.

With all the FA WR, don't see how we go with Blackmon.

Would obviously LOVE Trent....but there are some pretty good looking RBs in the subsequent rounds.

I think the pick ends up Mo Claiborne.

I agree that taking an RB in the top 5 is considered way too high by conventional wisdom. However, this team is in desperate need of playmakers on offense. They are barren right now with anyone that scares opposing defenses and Richardson is pro ready in all aspects and a guy that would make defenses have to gameplan for him. In addition, as they say, a running game is a QB's best friend and this would be a nice running game with Blount and Richardson as a type of thunder and lightning version. The Bucs last couple of drafts focused on the defense and if they would have done anything besides grab a punter in FA last year, they would have not been so bad. Let's not forget as well that the whole team took the last 5 weeks of the season off last year. We can make up for passing on Joseph at CB last year by grabbing a guy like Grimes to hurt a division opponent or Finnegan who would be an upgrade over everyone at CB on our roster. You can't fill all your needs in a draft and as soon as the Glazers and/or Dom realize this, they will get better. If not, we are in for a long, painful overhaul over many years. Get me playmakers on offense and this team will excel. We are in a division where we will have to score 24 points or more most weeks just to be in our divisional games. Freeman needs help now or we may never find out what he can truly be at QB. Go Bucs!

TAMPA -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have rolled over all available resources into the 2012 salary cap in anticipation of being more active in free agency, according to general manager Mark Dominik."We'll be more active in free agency that we were last year," Dominik said Tuesday as new head coach Greg Schiano continued to work on filling out his staff. "We purposely rolled every penny we could into this year's cap. Clubs didn't have to do that, but we wanted to. We have plans."An ESPN report said Tampa Bay is carrying over $23.5 million from 2011, estimating the Bucs will have $60.5 million in cap space heading into the Mar. 13 start of free agency, second only to the Kansas City Chiefs ($62.9 million)."We'll be involved in free agency," Dominik said. "To what capacity, it depends on what the list looks like. We're prepared, and that's the most important thing."The Buccaneers, coming off a 4-12 season capped by a 10-game losing streak, hope to add at least two starters in free agency, Dominik said.Dominik said Schiano, who was a defensive assistant for the Chicago Bears and the University of Miami before becoming the head coach at Rutgers for the past 11 years, plans to keep Tampa Bay's traditional 4-3 defensive alignment.Tampa Bay has been turned down by several NFL clubs when seeking permission to speak to assistants, but Dominik downplayed speculation those denials were fueled by a revenge factor.Under former GM Bruce Allen, the Bucs routinely rebuffed any requests by other NFL teams to interview assistants on Jon Gruden's staff."That's the National Football League," Dominik said. "A lot of clubs have those policies in place. That happens everywhere. I don't think anyone keeps a ledger of who does what in this league."Dominik was also asked about the hiring of Butch Davis as special assistant to Schiano. Davis is receiving a severance package after being fired last summer as head coach at the University of North Carolina.With the Bucs still looking for a defensive coordinator, why didn't they give that title to Davis, a former NFL head coach (Cleveland) who coached the Hurricanes during Schiano's two years as defensive coordinator at UM?"The main reason Butch Davis wanted to come here was to work with his good friend, Greg Schiano," Dominik said. "He wanted to come here and advise, not coach. He'll be an extra set of eyes, he can evaluate talent, he can listen in on meetings. He just wanted to come here and help."

I'd love to see them more active in FA this year. What would really excite me is adding a couple of quality starters in the back 7 on D.

Isn't that the Bucs party line every year? "oh this year we're gonna spend". :rolleyes: "and we mean it this time!"
It wasn't last year, iirc. It seems like they rolled all of their money into this season purposely. If they don't sign anyone during this free agency period they might as well lock the stadium, because the fans are pretty fed up.I've been on board with the "build through the draft youth movement" mantra, but it's time to put a few more pieces in place. With the cap space they have it shouldn't be too difficult to sign at least two very talented players, and if they don't screw up the 5th pick the Bucs could have a quick turnaround.

5 Seems to be a difficult pick this year if Claiborne does indeed go to Cleveland at 4. Richardson is great but I just don't think they should do it, I'd be looking to trade down if possible.

'Donsmith753 said:
5 Seems to be a difficult pick this year if Claiborne does indeed go to Cleveland at 4. Richardson is great but I just don't think they should do it, I'd be looking to trade down if possible.
There are now a ton of NFL guys reporting that the Bucs will be very agressive in FA.....if thats true, I could definitely see Trent at 5.Rumors on PewterReport include VJax, Manningham, Garcon, Carr, Finnegan, and Nix....that fills 3 big needs at CB, WR, and G. We'll see how much actually comes to fruition. Either way an exciting day for us.

'Donsmith753 said:
There are now a ton of NFL guys reporting that the Bucs will be very agressive in FA.....if thats true, I could definitely see Trent at 5.Rumors on PewterReport include VJax, Manningham, Garcon, Carr, Finnegan, and Nix....that fills 3 big needs at CB, WR, and G.

We'll see how much actually comes to fruition. Either way an exciting day for us.
Again this would be my worry, how many times has this been said before. Here's hoping though :thumbup:

I think Claiborne will be there at #5, and it will be difficult to pass on him for Richardson with Talib's off field trouble. The need is too great at corner to pass on Mo. Schiano's defense requires elite corner play, so they need to go get a pair of good corners somehow. A lot of buzz and expectations for them to sign Vincent Jackson, to stretch the field. With their cap room, they should be able to sign Saints all-pro guard Carl Nicks and solidify the line.

Big big day. I want Nicks more than any other player.
Looks like the Saints tendered him an offer, but with Colston now signed he'll probably test the market.The signing of Zuttah and potential release of Jeff Faine tells me the Bucs are going to make a hard run at Nicks.I'm trying not to get too excited until someone actually signs.

Big big day. I want Nicks more than any other player.
Looks like the Saints tendered him an offer, but with Colston now signed he'll probably test the market.The signing of Zuttah and potential release of Jeff Faine tells me the Bucs are going to make a hard run at Nicks.I'm trying not to get too excited until someone actually signs.
He called the offer 'acceptable', right? Sounds like we could easily outbid....as long as he's looking to be 'a' or 'the' top-paid G...acceptable won't work.

Curtis Lofton reportedly a 'done deal'.

Vincent Jackson a possibility.

Carl Nicks a possibility.

:popcorn:

@AdamSchefter: In addition to trying to sign WR Vincent Jackson, Buccaneers trying to sign G Carl Nicks. Two top free agents could be Tampa bound.

:excited:

Lets assume we sign V-Jax, as we appear to be in a bidding war against ourselves at this point. What happens if Claiborn goes before 5? We could be looking at either Blackmon or Richardson. I'm not a fan of taking RBs early, and we wouldn't need Blackmon if V-Jax was #1. Maybe we could move down? Miami just got extras picks and they may want land Blackmon now that they traded Marshall away.

Lets assume we sign V-Jax, as we appear to be in a bidding war against ourselves at this point. What happens if Claiborn goes before 5? We could be looking at either Blackmon or Richardson. I'm not a fan of taking RBs early, and we wouldn't need Blackmon if V-Jax was #1. Maybe we could move down? Miami just got extras picks and they may want land Blackmon now that they traded Marshall away.
The Bucs are rumored to be looking at Carl Nicks as well. Add him and Tampa's interior offensive line is arguably the best in the NFL. Defenses can't load 8 in the box anymore with VJAX on the outside. Draft Richardson and this offense is balanced and scary.There are 5 elite players in this draft, imo. I don't think you move out of the 5 spot unless you're blown away by an offer. If the rest of these free agent moves come to fruition then passing on Richardson to complete this offense would be a mistake.

The Bucs are rumored to be looking at Carl Nicks as well. Add him and Tampa's interior offensive line is arguably the best in the NFL. Defenses can't load 8 in the box anymore with VJAX on the outside. Draft Richardson and this offense is balanced and scary.There are 5 elite players in this draft, imo. I don't think you move out of the 5 spot unless you're blown away by an offer. If the rest of these free agent moves come to fruition then passing on Richardson to complete this offense would be a mistake.
JMHO, but I think if we land Nicks anyone could be a solid rusher. True, Richardson could be elite, but I think we have so many holes to fill that loading up on picks could be a good option.

@BradBiggs: One rumor making rounds is #Buccaneers tried to trade TE Kellen Winslow to #Bears who did not bite.

I hope the Bucs get enthralled with Claiborne and have a take it or leave it approach with Richardson. Then maybe the Browns can do the one and only thing we know how to do. Trade down.

Per ShefterVincent Jackson agreed to five-year deal in Tampa with Bucs.
Contract:Bucs agreed to terms with Vincent Jackson a five-year, $55 million contract, including $26 million guaranteed.Jackson will earn $26 million over the first two years and $36 million over the first three.

@BradBiggs: One rumor making rounds is #Buccaneers tried to trade TE Kellen Winslow to #Bears who did not bite.
This doesn't surprise me. There were also rumors that we may be interested in TE Bennet. I guess they would make a push for him if they were able to move Winslow.

Adam Schefter

First deal of day is in: CB Eric Wright reached agreement with Tampa Bay, signing deal today.

There's one new face in the secondary....keep em coming!

Pretty cool tribute to Freeman for VJAX and the Bucs to sign a contract with all "5's" in it. I'm not sure it means anything in the grand scheme of things, but that's a great way to start his career in Tampa.

The Buccaneers and free agent guard Carl Nicks may be close to reaching an agreement that will bring the Saints Pro Bowler to Tampa Bay PewterReport.com has learned.

So what are the mouthbreathers going to complain about now on talk radio since they no longer can say the Glazers are cheap?

OMG Man U Debt!!!

Too bad. Bears sure took the bait on Brandon Marshall. :lol: Maybe they should lower the asking price. Realistically, Winslow isn't a fit anymore with VJAX on the team. KW is a selfish ##### & doesn't like being second fiddle in targets and will now be at least the 3rd or 4th option in Schiano's offense. If they sign Nicks and draft Richardson, they will need a big blocking TE to hold the edge. Regardless, KW wants no part of being a blocker. Basically, he's a one-trick pony who is always patting the top of his helmet after every catch, running over to the sideline to catch his breath. A stat compiler, paycheck casher. No stamina, no heart, and waaay overpaid. He's garbage. They need to move on from him if they want to get better.

So what are the mouthbreathers going to complain about now on talk radio since they no longer can say the Glazers are cheap?OMG Man U Debt!!!
Don't know who the mouthbreathers are, but the Glazers have been historically cheap over the last decade. There is no point in arguing this. Nice to see them spend some coin for a change. I like the VJAX deal. $26M guaranteed is a good effort to outbid the rest of the league. Color me shocked. The $11M avg for 5 years is a decent deal overall. Now they need to go after Nicks to complete the plan. One year of spending doesn't erase 9 years of cheapness. Sorry.

It's hardly been 9 years of cheapness. Check your facts. They were signing horrible free agents back in 09.

Nicks signed. Official.

@AdamSchefter: Tampa Bay reached agreement with former Saints guard Carl Nicks on a five-year, $47.5 million deal including $31 million guaranteed.

Oh my God.

Per Shefter tweet:

Tampa Bay reached agreement with former Saints guard Carl Nicks on a five-year, $47.5 million deal including $31 million guaranteed.

:thumbup:

Great one-two punch to sign VJax and Nicks. I now think they should abandon drafting Mo Claiborne, and go out and get Richardson. He'll be a best running behind Nicks.

Users who are viewing this thread