What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (2 Viewers)

literally no improvements made
Just adding Koetter is a huge improvement. Not having a real OC last year probably cost them at least 2 wins. Hopefully you add a real QB. Even as a rookie Jameis can be better than the McCown/Glennon tag team. Year 2 from Mike Evans, ASJ, and Sims. Another year in Lovie's system and adding a speed guy like Carter to the LB corps is an upgrade over Foster who couldn't cover anyone.

The scary thing is it looks like they're going to have to find borderline starters at DE, OT, and G with their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks. I was hoping they could patch those holes in free agency. I don't know if they were gun shy because of the recent FA flops or guys just don't want to come here. Could be a combination of both. The Glazers/Lovie/Licht decided they were going to stop overpaying, and the FA's say "well, I'm going somewhere else then."

The NFC South isn't daunting at the moment and they'll be facing a last place schedule. The situation may not be as dire as it looks "on paper."

Almost landing Greg Hardy has been the highlight of free agency so far! Look at the bright side, we have been "FA winners" a few times, and it hasn't amounted to much.

literally no improvements made
Just adding Koetter is a huge improvement. Not having a real OC last year probably cost them at least 2 wins. Hopefully you add a real QB. Even as a rookie Jameis can be better than the McCown/Glennon tag team. Year 2 from Mike Evans, ASJ, and Sims. Another year in Lovie's system and adding a speed guy like Carter to the LB corps is an upgrade over Foster who couldn't cover anyone.

The scary thing is it looks like they're going to have to find borderline starters at DE, OT, and G with their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks. I was hoping they could patch those holes in free agency. I don't know if they were gun shy because of the recent FA flops or guys just don't want to come here. Could be a combination of both. The Glazers/Lovie/Licht decided they were going to stop overpaying, and the FA's say "well, I'm going somewhere else then."

The NFC South isn't daunting at the moment and they'll be facing a last place schedule. The situation may not be as dire as it looks "on paper."
I forgot about Koetter. Good point. So maybe 5-6 wins.

The frustrating thing is the South is SO bad that it's there for the taking now.

They do seem to like Pamphile and Edwards so the starting line may already be set, whether that's good or not. At this point I really hope they go pass rush at pick 34.

Signed Sterling Moore to a one year deal to play the nickel. 3rd former Cowboy on defense and 4th signing familiar with the system. I guess Lovie is getting his guys. Even if they're just guys. Sometimes a cheap player who understands his job is better than a star who doesn't.

I agree on drafting a pass rusher in the second. Hope Nate Orchard is there.

One thing nice about the Tampa 2 is that many guys that fit the system get looked over by teams not running it. A guy who is two slow to play CB on some defenses can fit right in. DE, LB, and some of the DBs can be tweeners.

[SIZE=10pt]"I just know I can see why people would assume that we are going to take a quarterback," Smith told NFL Network's Steve Wyche in an interview that will air on the NFL Network on Monday. "They're two excellent quarterbacks that are available at the top. And when you get a chance to draft someone like that most of the time people do. But there are other good players in the draft also. I think it's a deep draft."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]"We have a good quarterback we feel like, Mike Glennon, on our roster right now," Lovie said. "We realize that they're two excellent quarterbacks out there. We're kind of going through the process right now. We're trying to improve our ball club."[/SIZE]

Who goes in the Ring of Honor this year?

Not my vote but if I'm guessing I say Malcolm Glazer. Would much prefer a player. I would say Hardy Nickerson.

With these personnel moves I think the Bucs are going to be beyond terrible which probably means they will win their division this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=10pt]"I just know I can see why people would assume that we are going to take a quarterback," Smith told NFL Network's Steve Wyche in an interview that will air on the NFL Network on Monday. "They're two excellent quarterbacks that are available at the top. And when you get a chance to draft someone like that most of the time people do. But there are other good players in the draft also. I think it's a deep draft."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]"We have a good quarterback we feel like, Mike Glennon, on our roster right now," Lovie said. "We realized he was good when other teams inquired about trading for him. Before that we had absolutely no clue. We suck at running an NFL team."[/SIZE]

Citing a league source "familiar with the inner workings of the Buccaneers," Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports Bucs co-owner Darcie Glazer Kassewitz "has raised some internal questions" about the community relations impact of selecting Florida State QB Jameis Winston.

Bucs GM Jason Licht and coach Lovie Smith seem sold on Winston, but Robinson reports they "won't have the final say." Kassewitz is the daughter of late Bucs owner Malcolm Glazer. Robinson calls Kassewitz "one of the voices in the Bucs' front office whose opinion could influence the pick," and someone who will be examining Winston's off-field history, which is known to be a bit checkered. Bleacher Report's Jason Cole has since corroborated Robinson's story.
Anything to this or just creating a story where none really exists?

Citing a league source "familiar with the inner workings of the Buccaneers," Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports Bucs co-owner Darcie Glazer Kassewitz "has raised some internal questions" about the community relations impact of selecting Florida State QB Jameis Winston.

Bucs GM Jason Licht and coach Lovie Smith seem sold on Winston, but Robinson reports they "won't have the final say." Kassewitz is the daughter of late Bucs owner Malcolm Glazer. Robinson calls Kassewitz "one of the voices in the Bucs' front office whose opinion could influence the pick," and someone who will be examining Winston's off-field history, which is known to be a bit checkered. Bleacher Report's Jason Cole has since corroborated Robinson's story.
Anything to this or just creating a story where none really exists?
I doubt it. If Lovie and Licht are sold on Winston and they get overruled by Malcolm Glazer's daughter you might as well fold up the franchise.

Donnybrook said:
Per a league source, the Buccaneers brought in linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. for a visit on Thursday.

:coffee:
Players who love locally don't count against your 30. He lives in St. Pete and said himself today "the Bucs are taking a QB".

:coffee:

Rotoworld:

Citing two sources, Bob Glauber writes the Bucs will "listen seriously" to trade offers for the No. 1 pick.

It is a phrase we hear every year. However, with the uncertainty at the top of the draft, anything is possible. Jameis Winston appears to be set for the No. 1 pick, but many jumped the gun calling it a lock. Marcus Mariota is still in the hunt. Teams are in the process of finalizing their board, and owners still have a chance to get involved.

Source: News Day
Apr 19 - 10:54 AM

Rotoworld:

Citing two sources, Bob Glauber writes the Bucs will "listen seriously" to trade offers for the No. 1 pick.

It is a phrase we hear every year. However, with the uncertainty at the top of the draft, anything is possible. Jameis Winston appears to be set for the No. 1 pick, but many jumped the gun calling it a lock. Marcus Mariota is still in the hunt. Teams are in the process of finalizing their board, and owners still have a chance to get involved.

I really think the writer is making this up. Tampa has to have a QB. I can't imagine Rivers and a 1st from San Diego being enough.

Rotoworld:

I really think the writer is making this up. Tampa has to have a QB. I can't imagine Rivers and a 1st from San Diego being enough.
You "listen" to any offers until you have to make the pick, right? The package would have to be so enormously outlandish for Tampa to trade this pick. Considering the Bucs have one QB on the roster and definitely don't have a "franchise QB" it would have to be even more lopsided than the RG3 trade.

Rotoworld:

You "listen" to any offers until you have to make the pick, right? The package would have to be so enormously outlandish for Tampa to trade this pick. Considering the Bucs have one QB on the roster and definitely don't have a "franchise QB" it would have to be even more lopsided than the RG3 trade.
It was the "seriously" part I was taking issue with.

Question for the Bucs fans here…would you take Cam straight up for pick #1?

Let's make this a little more interesting. Which of these seven QBs would you trade the number one pick for straight up?

1. Luck

2. Rodgers

3. Wilson

4. Newton

5. Ryan

6. Bridgewater

7. Bortles

Let's make this a little more interesting. Which of these seven QBs would you trade the number one pick for straight up?

1. Luck

2. Rodgers

3. Wilson

4. Newton

5. Ryan

6. Bridgewater

7. Bortles
Of course

Of course

Probably. Wonder how much of it is his surroundings. But probably.

No

Yes

Hmmm. Really liked him last year. Close

God no

Interesting question on Cam. Obviously he's the superior athlete, but Winston can be a better passer. It's close to me.

Interesting question on Cam. Obviously he's the superior athlete, but Winston can be a better passer. It's close to me.
When you think about Tampa's structure on offense with Evans, Jackson, and ASJ you want the superior passer. Assuming Jameis is.

Cam is also in the last year of his contract so a guaranteed 5 years of Jameis is worth more than the uncertainty of Cam. I know you didn't really mean for the question to be answered that way, but contract needs to be taken into account in a hypothetical like this.

When you think about Tampa's structure on offense with Evans, Jackson, and ASJ you want the superior passer. Assuming Jameis is.

Cam is also in the last year of his contract so a guaranteed 5 years of Jameis is worth more than the uncertainty of Cam. I know you didn't really mean for the question to be answered that way, but contract needs to be taken into account in a hypothetical like this.
With those guys you only need someone who can hit an open guy and not throw interceptions.

With those guys you only need someone who can hit an open guy and not throw interceptions.
It also helps to be able to throw the ball accurately with touch. Something I think Jameis does extremely well.

We can harp on his interceptions, but after Gruden's QB camp segment with him it's obvious JW was forcing the ball to the only receiver he trusted to run the correct route, Rashad Greene.

Hopefully he can trust Evans and Jackson to be where they're supposed to be, and if they aren't open he'll learn to throw it away.

Homers, if you gotta make a prediction for position at the top of the 2nd round, whatcha got? DE? OT?
The tackles seem to run pretty deep, so I'd expect one of them. I've seen D.J. Humphries mocked there, but he's a bit of a project. They need someone who can start on the right side immediately.

I'd like to see Mario Edwards or Nate Orchard in the 3rd.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Bucs GM Jason Licht on his draft needs: "You can't win without really good players. That's from a study I did the other day."
I guess in his mind Mark Barron and Dashon Goldson weren't "really good". What category does Major Wright and Chris Conte fall into?
They didn't fit the system anymore. One of the many drawbacks of overhauling your coaching staff every two seasons. I think Goldson was rated the worst starting safety in the league last year.

Homers, if you gotta make a prediction for position at the top of the 2nd round, whatcha got? DE? OT?
As much sense as it would make to draft an OL in the early 2nd, I have heard Lovie doesn't like to rely in rookie OL. I wouldn't put it past him to draft a DE. Then fill out the o-line in the mid rounds.

Shawn King:

“The biggest mistake teams make is that they fall in love with the person when they’re not in love with the player,” said Shaun King, a former Buccaneers quarterback who now works as a college and pro football analyst for Yahoo Sports.

“When you meet Christian Ponder or E.J. Manuel, you can fall in love with them because they’re both tall guys that are going to say, ‘Yes, sir’ and ‘No, sir’ to you. And they’re real coachable. You meet them, and you think they have everything you want in a young quarterback.

“But that’s when you forget that before you met them, when you sat down and evaluated the tape of them and looked at them objectively, you really weren’t all that in love with them, because the tape said they’re really not that good.”

Shawn King:

“The biggest mistake teams make is that they fall in love with the person when they’re not in love with the player,” said Shaun King, a former Buccaneers quarterback who now works as a college and pro football analyst for Yahoo Sports.

“When you meet Christian Ponder or E.J. Manuel, you can fall in love with them because they’re both tall guys that are going to say, ‘Yes, sir’ and ‘No, sir’ to you. And they’re real coachable. You meet them, and you think they have everything you want in a young quarterback.

“But that’s when you forget that before you met them, when you sat down and evaluated the tape of them and looked at them objectively, you really weren’t all that in love with them, because the tape said they’re really not that good.”
Isn't Winston tall, says ‘Yes, sir’ and ‘No, sir’, and acts coachable in interviews?

Shawn King:

The biggest mistake teams make is that they fall in love with the person when theyre not in love with the player, said Shaun King, a former Buccaneers quarterback who now works as a college and pro football analyst for Yahoo Sports.

When you meet Christian Ponder or E.J. Manuel, you can fall in love with them because theyre both tall guys that are going to say, Yes, sir and No, sir to you. And theyre real coachable. You meet them, and you think they have everything you want in a young quarterback.

But thats when you forget that before you met them, when you sat down and evaluated the tape of them and looked at them objectively, you really werent all that in love with them, because the tape said theyre really not that good.
Isn't Winston tall, says Yes, sir and No, sir, and acts coachable in interviews?
Just skip right over the evaluation part...

Shawn King:

The biggest mistake teams make is that they fall in love with the person when theyre not in love with the player, said Shaun King, a former Buccaneers quarterback who now works as a college and pro football analyst for Yahoo Sports.

When you meet Christian Ponder or E.J. Manuel, you can fall in love with them because theyre both tall guys that are going to say, Yes, sir and No, sir to you. And theyre real coachable. You meet them, and you think they have everything you want in a young quarterback.

But thats when you forget that before you met them, when you sat down and evaluated the tape of them and looked at them objectively, you really werent all that in love with them, because the tape said theyre really not that good.
Isn't Winston tall, says Yes, sir and No, sir, and acts coachable in interviews?
I know, he's ignoring that Winston has some really bad tape.

Shawn King:

I know, he's ignoring that Winston has some

He's talking about Mariota...go back to your thread.

Shawn King:

The biggest mistake teams make is that they fall in love with the person when theyre not in love with the player, said Shaun King, a former Buccaneers quarterback who now works as a college and pro football analyst for Yahoo Sports.When you meet Christian Ponder or E.J. Manuel, you can fall in love with them because theyre both tall guys that are going to say, Yes, sir and No, sir to you. And theyre real coachable. You meet them, and you think they have everything you want in a young quarterback.

:lmao:

Shawn King:

:goodposting: Christ, even herpes goes away for a few weeks.

Shawn King:

You don't think I know that? I'm saying he's wrong and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Roll the dice on Randy Gregory? We should probably take the OT TJ Clemmings. We might be able to trade down a few picks. I could see a few teams wanting to move up for one of the WRS on the board.

No reason to go offense. Those problems were all fixed with your #1 pick. There are no excuses for not putting up 25+ passing TDs. He's pro ready, so you guys say.

Users who are viewing this thread