What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (2 Viewers)

It's too early to lump Jameis in with Freeman. Glennon was a 3rd round pick who probably would be starting if Schiano was still here.

I've been rather pleased overall with Licht's first two drafts, but the reason this team is in shambles is due to utter incompetence in talent evaluation from the Gruden era forward.

As far as Lovie Smith, it's a bad sign when his coaching specialty is having a good secondary and they had thee worst secondary last year and this year doesn't seem much better.

As far as Lovie Smith, it's a bad sign when his coaching specialty is having a good secondary and they had thee worst secondary last year and this year doesn't seem much better.
He also had some really talented players on defense and Devin Hester in Chicago.

Even with supremely talented players I don't know if the true Tampa 2 style can work in the NFL today. There are just too many penalties on players in the secondary. The only way to win on defense is to take chances rushing the passer. Lovie finally did send a few blitzes Cam's way, but he eluded them with relative ease.

Watching the Jets send the house after Tannehill yesterday is how it has to be now. You can't sit back hoping to get pressure with 4 guys expecting your secondary to cover for 4 seconds without touching anyone.

Easy there. He isn't kicking the ball. Hou. & Car. were both winnable games. He had the team in position to win but the player execution is horrible.
:fishing: ?
Lovie didn't fumble the ball and throw 4 picks.
Lovie is 3-17. That's not on Winston, and only a moron would expect a rookie qb not to struggle.
You know that now that you said that he's going to bring up Luck and Griffin, right? The exceptions.
I figured he would also make sure to blame the kicker tomorrow.
Spent 5 minutes on the kickers today. :thumbup:

For some reason, I read "EXCREMENT BUILDS FOR THE NEXT COACH" and immediately thought of a half dozen other organizations.

Some positivity:

Go get a win today. The Jaguars haven't won on the road in about the same length of time the Bucs haven't won at home. They'll be 2-3 heading into the bye week. Get healed up a bit. ASJ, Mankins, Smith, McCoy. Shore up some things on offense and defense. The schedule still looks totally manageable. Maybe they can at least be competitive week in and week out.

I'm usually pretty optimistic, but then I heard Mankins was out. We had an average line with him in, so they have definitely been downgraded to BAD.

So what does this mean?

Less room of Doug to run, keeping Sims in to block. Double teams on WRs.

So, Jameis likely in known passing situations, trying to force the ball to either Evans, Jackson, or Murphy.

Hopefully the Jags suck more than we do.

Some positivity:

Go get a win today. The Jaguars haven't won on the road in about the same length of time the Bucs haven't won at home. They'll be 2-3 heading into the bye week. Get healed up a bit. ASJ, Mankins, Smith, McCoy. Shore up some things on offense and defense. The schedule still looks totally manageable. Maybe they can at least be competitive week in and week out.
Hope you are right but I think we lose, and in convincing fashion.

Some positivity:

At least we can start discussing what to do with the #1 pick again if that's the case.

Some positivity:

At least we can start discussing what to do with the #1 pick again if that's the case.
Bosamania

Some positivity:

Bosamania
IF

I kind of want Licht to do something crazy personnel wise during the bye. Trade for an unhappy stud from a team going nowhere.

I'm really surprised at how well we were able to run the ball. Jags had a top 10 rush D.

Being able to run the ball changes everything.

I conservatively said we had an average o-line with Mankins, and bad without. Well, we looked pretty good without him. With Mankins & Dotson healthy, this could turn out to be one of the better o-lines in the league at seasons end.

As an Evans owner, I hope the bye rest gets him back to 100%. What a huge dropoff over last year. I realize that some of it has to do with Winston, but traditionally, young QBs rely on their #1 receivers.

I'm really surprised at how well we were able to run the ball. Jags had a top 10 rush D.

Being able to run the ball changes everything.

I conservatively said we had an average o-line with Mankins, and bad without. Well, we looked pretty good without him. With Mankins & Dotson healthy, this could turn out to be one of the better o-lines in the league at seasons end.
The line has been pretty good. Marpet is a damn stud.

What are the long term prospects for Doug Martin? TB has been running well lately but I don't know how much faith to place in Doug to continue putting up RB1/high RB2 numbers if the team is playing from behind a lot.

What are the long term prospects for Doug Martin? TB has been running well lately but I don't know how much faith to place in Doug to continue putting up RB1/high RB2 numbers if the team is playing from behind a lot.
He's currently second in the NFL in rushing. And they've been playing from behind a lot. He's currently RB#3 in points. And RB#4 in Points per game average. Obviously, having a Three TD game will skew that some, but he's doing great playing on a below average team. They were way behind against Carolina and they kept giving him the ball.

Will he finish as a RB1? Possibly not. But, barring injury, I can't see a scenario where he isn't a solid RB2. He looks fantastic.

You almost have to be trying to lose that game. I shouldn't be upset about it. I've been watching the same garbage for years.

You almost have to be trying to lose that game. I shouldn't be upset about it. I've been watching the same garbage for years.
I'm not upset at all. I love seeing a conservative sorry coach stuck in 1983 get what's due to him. Hopefully fired soon

I'm not upset at all. I love seeing a conservative sorry coach stuck in 1983 get what's due to him. Hopefully fired soon
I might understand playing to the defense if they'd actually been able to get a stop all day. Sitting on the lead at the end of the first half with two minutes left is probably what irks me the most. The guy just doesn't get it.

I might understand playing to the defense if they'd actually been able to get a stop all day. Sitting on the lead at the end of the first half with two minutes left is probably what irks me the most. The guy just doesn't get it.
No he doesn't. Hopefully Dirk or Jameis can get through to him but I doubt it.

Team is currently 13th in both yards and points per game.

With a rookie qb and 40% rookie offensive line.

Man if you told me that 3 months ago I figured we would be 4-2 right now. Lovie's f'n defense.

Team is currently 13th in both yards and points per game.

With a rookie qb and 40% rookie offensive line.

Man if you told me that 3 months ago I figured we would be 4-2 right now. Lovie's f'n defense.
Considering who they've played they should be 5-1. With the schedule they have 2-4 is embarrassing.

Jackson and ASJ still out. Even more volume for the RBs and Evans coming. Who else do they even have at WR?

This wasn't the run of the mill "sitting on the lead, playing conservative" loss.

V-Jax & Murphy going out really limited our playbook. Winston was still slinging it to Evans, but we were no doubt missing WRs.

This comes down to the lack of personel in the secondary.

Why didn't Lovie bring in Tillman?

This wasn't the run of the mill "sitting on the lead, playing conservative" loss.

V-Jax & Murphy going out really limited our playbook. Winston was still slinging it to Evans, but we were no doubt missing WRs.

This comes down to the lack of personel in the secondary.

Why didn't Lovie bring in Tillman?
Bull####, they should have stomped the Redskins into the ground with Martin and Sims. 100% poor playcalling cost them this one.

Yeaaahhhhh Lovie was overly conservative there. Kicking a FG to go up 6 while on the 3 yard line instead of trying to put the game away with a touch is some real soft shiit.

Great team win.

Really wish they had converted that 4th down. Lovie may never go for anything ever again now. Can't fault him for trying to ice it there after what happened last week. That being said, after the Falcons get the ball back and get in position to score again to tie it with a little over a minute left, why wasn't he using his remaining two time outs to stop the clock? Leave Jameis and the offense some time to get in field goal range. I don't really get that. The Falcons aren't going to run out of time down there. Stupid.

The clock management issues and the fact he can't seem to make an adjustment to his zone is really frustrating. I don't feel like he blitzed all day? Every QB they face just carves them to pieces in the middle of the field.

Super excited about Jameis. Tons of poise shown this week. Crucial.

Lovie has taken a ton of heat lately, some of it very warranted, but I wanted to heap a little praise on him, GM Jason Licht, and the personnel department for their last two drafts. They've acquired more impact talent with their selections than previous regimes acquired in the 5 drafts before them combined. I don't think that's an exaggeration. No player is still on the team from 2009. Only Gerald McCoy from 2010. Only Luke Stocker remains from 2011. Doug Martin and LaVonte David from 2012. Johnthan Banks, Mike Glennon, Akeem Spence, and William Gholston are still here from 2013, but only Banks is a real impact player.

From 2014, Mike Evans, Austin Sefarian Jenkins, and Charles Sims have all been impact players on offense. ASJ has been injured a lot, but he has shown the talent is there to be a major contributor. Kevin Pamphile has filled in well on the line when called upon.

It can be seen as nothing but positive to have received such massive contributions already from the 2015 rookie class. Obviously Jameis Winston, who has played exceptionally well lately after a terrifying debut, along with Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet who have helped solidify the offensive line after it was a sieve in 2014, and your recent NFC defensive player of the week winner in Kwon Alexander, who has the makings of a star.

I think Licht, who tutored under Belichick, has finally brought some much needed scouting and player development to Tampa. With a defensively centered draft in 2016 the future may be a little brighter here.

Welp. Another 6 win season. Guess it gets us a better draft pick but I'm so tired of seeing them lose winnable games. It's unreal.

Positives are Jameis, Koetter and the Oline. Lights at the end of the tunnel.

Biggest letdown other than the dope of a head coach is Lavontae. Who is the guy in his jersey? I also can't believe how bad the secondary is.

Seriously though thank god for Jameis.

Lovie has taken a ton of heat lately, some of it very warranted, but I wanted to heap a little praise on him, GM Jason Licht, and the personnel department for their last two drafts. They've acquired more impact talent with their selections than previous regimes acquired in the 5 drafts before them combined. I don't think that's an exaggeration. No player is still on the team from 2009. Only Gerald McCoy from 2010. Only Luke Stocker remains from 2011. Doug Martin and LaVonte David from 2012. Johnthan Banks, Mike Glennon, Akeem Spence, and William Gholston are still here from 2013, but only Banks is a real impact player.

From 2014, Mike Evans, Austin Sefarian Jenkins, and Charles Sims have all been impact players on offense. ASJ has been injured a lot, but he has shown the talent is there to be a major contributor. Kevin Pamphile has filled in well on the line when called upon.

It can be seen as nothing but positive to have received such massive contributions already from the 2015 rookie class. Obviously Jameis Winston, who has played exceptionally well lately after a terrifying debut, along with Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet who have helped solidify the offensive line after it was a sieve in 2014, and your recent NFC defensive player of the week winner in Kwon Alexander, who has the makings of a star.

I think Licht, who tutored under Belichick, has finally brought some much needed scouting and player development to Tampa. With a defensively centered draft in 2016 the future may be a little brighter here.
I agree with this. Last two drafts have been great.

Is there anyone really serious about letting Lovie go? Seems doubtful.
Zero chance he gets fired and there's probably nobody better but it sucks.

Does this guy add any advantage to the team? It's like he's just a cardboard figure standing there watching his defense get trounced.

Is there anyone really serious about letting Lovie go? Seems doubtful.
Zero chance he gets fired and there's probably nobody better but it sucks.

Does this guy add any advantage to the team? It's like he's just a cardboard figure standing there watching his defense get trounced.
It's just frustrating to watch him be so stubborn about making an adjustment. When he finally blitzed Eli the defense made a play. I don't understand playing coverage when your guys can't cover and you can't get pressure with four. Watching the receivers run straight to the open spot in the zone, turn around, and then make the catch is driving me nuts. The opposing offense has to be chuckling to themselves up and down the field.

The cover 2 is dead. You can't play defense that way anymore. Not when you can't touch the receivers or the QB without drawing a flag. The only way to win on defense is to take chances. Lovie won't do it. Everybody sees it but him.

I'm still on board with Lovie. I'm impressed he has had this group of losers competitive in every game besides week 1. Fumbling and dropped passes is 100% on the players.

I feel like the offense is good enough considering the injuries to WR/TE. Jameis doesn't have much to work with out there. The O-line has been the most surprising. I thought they were going to be bad, and they appear to be above avg.

The real disappointment is this defense. Obviously the DB and DE positions.

1 defense heavy draft can fix this. We tried to get Hardy at DE last season, so they are aware, and made an effort to fill the need.

The most important thing is the players are still playing for Lovie. They gave up on Schiano, so he had to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread