What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

Last week everyone was so jazzed about the Bucs play at Philly. Lol. Colts are a better team and exposed that D. More like this to come IMO.

If they want to win it needs to be through Jameis.

Stop deferring the kickoff. Stop playing garbage cover 2. Take some chances on defense. If they hit a big play who cares? Letting 40 year old QBs. Go on multiple 10+ play drives isn't a recipe for success.

Playing that weak zone when you can't get pressure isn't making even an average QB lose any sleep.

Back up to .500! I doubt it happens and think we split, but don't look now, next 3 games (NOLA, @STL, CHI before @Carolina for what could possibly be for 16-0) actually look winnable. 9-7 is at least semi-plausible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good chance of 9-7. Probably won't be enough for the playoffs, but that's our luck of course.
Pretty pathetic record with the schedule they've played, honestly. Worst part of it is if they'd just kept Barth all year and Evans makes a few catches here and there they'd have at least 3 more wins.

Despite me feeling the economy still isn't as strong as perceived, there should of been more people in the stadium. We have about a million more people in the Tampa metro area than we did in sell-out years in the early 2000's. Maybe they need to string together a couple +.500 seasons, then things will change.

I read that they might be playing the 2 preseason games elsewhere, so that would lower the overall season ticket price. That could encourage more sales.

Ticket prices & concession prices are still too high. $9 for a beer should be a crime.

Early 2000 we didn't all have hi-def Tvs, and Redzone to compete with the live experience either.

I don't know why anybody other than the team owner and accountants care about attendance. The NFL game experience is awful, I'm actually shocked that many people go to the games.

Bucs have a franchise QB. Now they got to build around him. Improve the OLine. Get some more weapons on O. The D needs to improve, but if you've got a franchise QB, load up the offense and get a defense that is built to get after the QB and allow them to win 35-25. Follow the Indy blueprint from when Peyton was there.

Yea this guy is going to get us multiple super bowl visits in the next 10 years. I truly believe that. Especially with a quality GM like we have.

Lovie makes me wonder, but he can be worked around.

Not throwing a pick or two away every other year on a QB will definitely help shore up some other areas. I think they're finally to a point where they can actually implement the cliched "best player available" strategy. Don't pigeon hole yourself into any position or side of the ball.

There are plenty of weaknesses still on this team, but we can finally say quarterback isn't one of them.

Not throwing a pick or two away every other year on a QB will definitely help shore up some other areas. I think they're finally to a point where they can actually implement the cliched "best player available" strategy. Don't pigeon hole yourself into any position or side of the ball.

There are plenty of weaknesses still on this team, but we can finally say quarterback isn't one of them.
Yea there's not a lot of holes on offense. I think they can go another year with this Oline -- they probably need to find another receiver to replace vjax soon, but the focus should be on defense. Particularly end. I have to imagine they'll draft a corner high or sign somebody.

But yea maybe they won't be forced into something and can take best available. Light can draft -- should be a fun offseason.

Yea there's not a lot of holes on offense. I think they can go another year with this Oline -- they probably need to find another receiver to replace vjax soon, but the focus should be on defense. Particularly end. I have to imagine they'll draft a corner high or sign somebody.

But yea maybe they won't be forced into something and can take best available. Light can draft -- should be a fun offseason.
Mankins and Dotson will be free agents after 2016. Defense is definitely the more glaring need, especially at DE and in the secondary, but I just think they're in a position where if the best player happens to be a guard, RT, or WR then jump at the chance to keep giving your QB positive assets.

Grahamburn said:
Capella said:

Yea there's not a lot of holes on offense. I think they can go another year with this Oline -- they probably need to find another receiver to replace vjax soon, but the focus should be on defense. Particularly end. I have to imagine they'll draft a corner high or sign somebody.But yea maybe they won't be forced into something and can take best available. Light can draft -- should be a fun offseason.
Mankins and Dotson will be free agents after 2016. Defense is definitely the more glaring need, especially at DE and in the secondary, but I just think they're in a position where if the best player happens to be a guard, RT, or WR then jump at the chance to keep giving your QB positive assets.
Hopefully they don't draft a guard or RT around pick 18. Can handle that later.

Those color rush jerseys are........red.

Who's in charge of the defensive play calling? I'd assume Lovie takes that side of the ball? I don't trust the scheme/play calling. I worry more about that on defense than our actual players, and that's not to say we can't use improvement in personnel, but I think a coaching change will be due down the line, and I hope it doesn't come too late.

Reflecting on the fact that Tim Hightower, Willie Snead, Ben Watson, and Marques Colston lit this defense up yesterday. What a joke.

Reflecting on the fact that Tim Hightower, Willie Snead, Ben Watson, and Marques Colston lit this defense up yesterday. What a joke.
Yea. No pass rush. People on Twitter were killing 38 but what could he do? Guard those guys for 10 seconds? There was barely one hand in Brees' face all day.

I don't know why anybody other than the team owner and accountants care about attendance. The NFL game experience is awful, I'm actually shocked that many people go to the games.
Attendance is a pretty relevant & important metric for a number of reasons. 1st off, the game experience will never be great with the stadium half full. Second, it is an indicator of the local economy, which is of interest to me.

I bumped this post because I stumbled across a Ticket stub from the Bucs/Cle game in 2001. The game Alstott went off vs playoff bound Tim Couch led Browns. It was a sec 311 ticket for $49. The cheapest pair of seats I could find for the Bears game was about $300 for a pair, top corner.

Why is Raymond James so empty at home games that have playoff implications? What is the difference between today & 2001?

-a million more people in Tampa

-ticket prices have tripled

-the local economy isn't at pre-2008 levels, but it is much better than it was following 2008.

Maybe they need to string together a few winning seasons, but my speculation is ticket prices are still heavily inflated.

Wonder how they'll come out for a Thursday night road game after an embarrassing loss. It will say a lot about their makeup if they can pull out a win.

Man this defense is so soft. Hasselbeck just cut them up over and over.
Case Keenum getting them tonight, and he's not the only bottom feeder QB to carve up the vaunted Tampa 2. Kirk Cousins. Marcus Mariota. Ryan freaking Mallet. Eli. It's pitch and catch against these guys.

Lovie needs to go. I'm convinced he'll never change, and he'll never beat a good offense when it matters. This franchise is going to waste Jameis if they keep this clown around.

Completely, completely embarrassing to get beat up by NO and StL. Injuries on O is one thing, but this defense is a dumpster fire and Lovie needs to go.

I'm just speculating, but there have been at least 4 illegal formation penalties because the right tackle is lining up too far in the backfield.

Lovie is still playing to a defense that can't stop a pee wee team.

Genius.

Not many assets in the NFL more valuable than Jameis. Guy is going to be phenomenal, and he's already displaying leadership well beyond his years. Good for you Buc fans, you deserve a some good fortune.

Not many assets in the NFL more valuable than Jameis. Guy is going to be phenomenal, and he's already displaying leadership well beyond his years. Good for you Buc fans, you deserve a some good fortune.
I agree. Even with Lovie burning the barn down these last 4 weeks, Jameis is a tremendous reason for excitement.

I hate this franchise. Couldn't even give us the decency of an 8-8 season. 6-10 with a ####ting the bed 4-game losing streak to end it.

I guess Lovie has to keep his job since they still owe him 3 more years but this coaching hire is a total disaster. He has shown nothing to think the next year is going to be any better.

I bag on Lovie as much as anyone, but is it his fault Mike Evans can't do the one thing all receivers should be able to do?

His drops have cost the team a shot at winning at least 4 games. Just egregious hands at the most inopportune times.

I bag on Lovie as much as anyone, but is it his fault Mike Evans can't do the one thing all receivers should be able to do?

His drops have cost the team a shot at winning at least 4 games. Just egregious hands at the most inopportune times.
No but there are many many other things that are his fault. The penalties seem to be the most obvious to me.

Either way you just can't fire the guy or then we are the Browns/Raiders and flipping coaches every two years. And losing Koetter would be a disaster, especially for Jameis. But losing like that at home to a bad bad Bears team without their best wideout is just hideous.

Curious as to why there is no blame issued towards your boy. That INT was gawd awful. There was only one person at fault for blowing that scoring opportunity and that was Winston. He just chucked it up for grabs. 2:00 minute mark: http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears I supposed he was trying to make a play, huh? Falling backwards 'hey someone catch this because Cappy will rave about my greatness if you do'. Who the heck told him to throw that pass? Lets dish out the blame to those that deserve it.

Curious as to why there is no blame issued towards your boy. That INT was gawd awful. There was only one person at fault for blowing that scoring opportunity and that was Winston. He just chucked it up for grabs. 2:00 minute mark: http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears I supposed he was trying to make a play, huh? Falling backwards 'hey someone catch this because Cappy will rave about my greatness if you do'. Who the heck told him to throw that pass? Lets dish out the blame to those that deserve it.
While I probably would try to avoid the toolish way you presented it, Winston does have to eliminate the dumb mistakes. He threw a ton of picks at FSU, but seems to be making better decisions at this level. This is a huge offseason for Winston. He needs to continue the maturation process and stay out of the news. As someone who thought he would be a JaMarcus Russell-like flop, his played showed me he does have promise. His character and decision making (both on and off the field) are his biggest hurdles. I haven't seen or heard one character related issue since the draft. That's a great sign. I don't see him being a superstar, but I think he can be a very good QB for Tampa Bay as he learns the game better.

He made a terrible play. :shrug: He's still also 22 picks behind your preseason guess, SuperScout.

He made a terrible play. :shrug: He's still also 22 picks behind your preseason guess, SuperScout.
He predicted 35 interceptions?

:lmao:

Yup. Said he would set an NFL record for interceptions. So funny.

Yup. Said he would set an NFL record for interceptions. So funny.
:lol:

If you find the link I'd like to have it.

No but there are many many other things that are his fault. The penalties seem to be the most obvious to me.

Either way you just can't fire the guy or then we are the Browns/Raiders and flipping coaches every two years. And losing Koetter would be a disaster, especially for Jameis. But losing like that at home to a bad bad Bears team without their best wideout is just hideous.
I agree on the penalties, and they're the second worst in the NFL, but I watch enough other games/teams to know it's happening to every team in every game. However, the teams getting penalized the least are mostly the teams with the best records and vice versa.

Lovie needs to stay. Koetter needs to stay. The lack continuity of the staff is definitely one of the major reasons they've done nothing for 10 years.

The quality of the teams they've lost to this season bothers me. They've played what has to be one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and they're still just 6-9. Granted, that's after 3 losses in a row following a suspension to one of their best players. I don't think the impact the loss of Kwon has had can be expressed enough. Their first few games they were obviously breaking in a rookie QB.

They're in one of the best salary cap situations in the league ($47M+) before any roster cuts. With Jameis and the offense mostly in place (they need a reliable WR and Doug should be a priority), this legitimately feels like a team that could turn things around quickly with a few positive free agent signings and a couple immediate impact players from the draft.

The top corners and pass rushers rarely hit free agency though as evidenced by the likely options this year. No way Norman gets away from Carolina, but Morris Claiborne, Prince Amukamura, and Janoris Jenkins are also all free agents. As are Eric Berry and Eric Weddle. JPP should be available, but his concerns are obvious.

Could Mario Williams be an option via trade? Tampa can afford to take his contract and because of that fact he shouldn't cost an arm and a leg in draft pick compensation. Lovie/Licht should target him if the Glazers sign off.

Sign Doug Martin.

Trade for Mario Williams.

Sign one of Claiborne, Jenkins, or Amukamura.

Sign Berry or Weddle.

Address DE and CB with the first two picks in the draft.

Stop rebuilding. Spend to the cap. Profit.

Lovie needs to go
Who would you replace him with?

I can't see the Glazers paying another coach to not coach for them. Especially for 3 more years. It makes no sense unless they simply promote Koetter. But then you have to find another defensive coordinator. What scheme will that guy run? All his personnel, as diluted as they may be, are structured to run Cover 2. Maybe he doesn't need the best 3-technique in the game or smaller speed LB's? So then he has to clean house again until he gets "his guys." Rinse, repeat. By the time he gets the talent he needs Koetter is gone and the offense needs an overhaul.

Firing a coach every 2-3 years is a great way to get to and stay exactly where the Bucs have been since 2005.

The Lovie/Licht free agent signings have been bad. Have they signed anyone who has contributed? It's tough to feel too much sympathy when Lovie is harping on not having talent in the secondary when they trade a box safety that was drafted in the top 10 for a 4th round pick and let the best corner in the game leave for absolutely nothing. Most of us thought they were smart when they made that move though? :shrug:

They've nailed their first two drafts. However, they've been strictly offense other than Kwon Alexander. They should get another year simply for making that selection. I think you have to give them another off-season to see what they can do for the defense.

Make a few of the moves I outlined in the post above yours. If Lovie can't get them to 9-7 or 10-6 while playing another last place schedule then he's gone. The Bucs have a pretty decent core right now and a 3 year window. They need to take advantage of it instead of starting the process all over again.

Bottom line is Lovie is terrible and is playing a defense that is porous at best. I understand the financial implications. However, if they keep Lovie for 3 more years (of mediocrity) and then have to transition to a new scheme, they could end up wasting a lot of Winston's prime years.

Lovie is never going to take this team to the playoffs. He is a bottom 5-10 coach in the league.

The issue isn't personnel. The personnel that they do have, have underachieved relative to their potential.

I do wish when Lovie is complaining about his secondary, somebody raised their hand and asked if he thinks it would be better or worse with Revis and Barron.

Users who are viewing this thread