What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

How was his season this year? We could definitely use an edge rusher, no doubt about that.
Poor, but that's why he'll likely be available. A return to a 4-3 could be great for him. He's the prototypical 4-3 defensive end.

Lovie acquired Julius Peppers after his age 30 season also. He went on to have 37.5 sacks in 4 years in Chicago. I see this as a strikingly similar situation.

The heats already coming through on the Twitters:

David Farris

Twitter › Imp3nded

Lovie Smith really needs to gtfo of Tampa. And 80% of the defense needs to be gutted. And fans need to stop being delusional.
Jason Violante

Twitter › JasonViolante

Hope the bucs keep losing like this, maybe lovie smith will get fired before halftime
#BucsNation

Twitter › BucsNation44

Lovie Smith will be back next year.... I'm sorry for all the fans that want him gone.. He's here for at least one more season
Z

Twitter › Zemicool

Lovie Smith is already preparing his post game speech.

My off season plan,

-draft Jalen Ramsey or Emmanuel Ogbah

-offer Mario Williams if he is cut

-restructure or cut V-Jax

-offer Martin a deal, but nothing over 6-8 per. Go after Forte if Martin walks.

-add fa/draft depth at DB, Oline, WR (Mankins may retire)

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked watching Winston vs Cam this past week and hope in a year or two it will be a more even match up.

The Bucs need help on defense. If they can get a top 5 defense I feel like Winston will eventually be enough on offense to win 10 games. I was quiet but very excited for the Bucs when they got Winston, felt he could be the next potential Cam Newton but he has a long long way to go in order to get there but I see a leader.

Year 2 is going to be crucial, if he looks even better or shows massive improvement, that will hold the key for the Bucs and how far they will go.

Offensively the team finished 5th in yards per game in THIRD ( :shock: ) in yards per play. Didn't see that coming.

Only 20th in points, but they couldn't punch it in when they got inside the 20. Another offseason for Jameis and another stellar wideout should help that.

Clearly the team needs the most help on D and I imagine that will be the primary focus of free agency and the draft, along with that extra wideout.

Defensively they finished 10th in yards per play which is......shocking. 26th in points though. 14th in sacks and middle of the road in turnovers.

My off season plan,

Who they draft will obviously be influenced by who or if they sign anyone in free agency. I'd hope for one blue chip type player in FA and then a few other pieces on 1 or 2 year deals so they aren't forced to draft anything specific. It would be nice if they got to a point where they didn't draft for need.

Mario Williams or Olivier Vernon. Eric Berry. Eric Weddle.

Vincent has earned his contract.

Agree on Doug, but Forte seems like a downgrade. If they don't re-sign Doug what's the point of paying an older often injured different FA RA the same kind of money? If Doug doesn't sign you still have Sims and plenty of options in the draft.

Looking forward to winning the off-season again.

Ramsey won't be there most likely. Going top-5

Williams was pretty bad this year.

Vjax was solid when hurt. He will probably restructure.

Forte is about to drop off a cliff. Keep Doug.

I keep seeing Ramsey projected pretty high, but top 5? I love the guy, and think he is a play maker, but what is he? Be isn't a lock down CB, and a FS / nickel CB aren't "premium" positions. Maybe the versatility to play multiple positions makes him more valuable.

They likely resign Doug since they have the money, but what do you pay him? His agent is gonna ask for the moon.

You guys have a fun team to watch. Reminds me of the 2011 panthers. Winston clearly ahead of Cam at this stage although Cam only had one year of college experience and had the lockout his rookie year.

It feels like there's a 3 year window here to take advantage of Jameis before he requires a very large percentage of the salary cap.

They really need to capitalize on him still being on his rookie deal and go all in this off-season while there's a nice core of players (McCoy, David, Alexander, Winston, Marpet, Smith, Evans) on both sides of the ball all locked into deals. Part of the reason they have so much salary cap room every year is because they haven't really hit on any draft picks that warranted extensions or had to pay a QB. It's now a good problem to have, but once all these guys want new contracts it will be nearly impossible to keep them all together.

I hope the Glazers, Lovie, and Licht all see it the same way and go all in right now.

I agree that we are definitely at the beginning of a window that revolves around the core players hitting their prime.

The Glaziers likely see it the same way, and will be ready.

They thought the time had come with Josh Freeman/ Mike Williams / Gerald McCoy, but we know how that turned out... They went all in on guys like Vjax, Eric Wright, Revis, Dashon Golson, Carl Nicks.

The only issue might be them being hesitant to go "all in" after seeing how that turned out.

Offensively the team finished 5th in yards per game in THIRD ( :shock: ) in yards per play. Didn't see that coming.

Only 20th in points, but they couldn't punch it in when they got inside the 20. Another offseason for Jameis and another stellar wideout should help that.

Clearly the team needs the most help on D and I imagine that will be the primary focus of free agency and the draft, along with that extra wideout.
I would not burn a high draft pick on a WR. I like Mike Evans a ton and think he can be the stud WR1. I think a free agent signing with good hands for the WR2 spot.

Agree about the defense but McCoy and Levonte make a nice 1-2 up the middle. They need a stronger pass rush and I think some impact secondary players.

My off season plan,

Who they draft will obviously be influenced by who or if they sign anyone in free agency. I'd hope for one blue chip type player in FA and then a few other pieces on 1 or 2 year deals so they aren't forced to draft anything specific. It would be nice if they got to a point where they didn't draft for need.

Agree on Doug, but Forte seems like a downgrade. If they don't re-sign Doug what's the point of paying an older often injured different FA RA the same kind of money? If Doug doesn't sign you still have Sims and plenty of options in the draft.

I think Vernon stays in Miami, we have to re-sign him or hit him with the franchise tag. Wake could be gone but he is coming off injury which makes Vernon an even bigger need to re-sign.

My off season plan,

I think Vernon stays in Miami, we have to re-sign him or hit him with the franchise tag. Wake could be gone but he is coming off injury which makes Vernon an even bigger need to re-sign.
Miami's salary cap position is pretty dire. They'll definitely be losing some players.

Ministry of Pain said:

I would not burn a high draft pick on a WR. I like Mike Evans a ton and think he can be the stud WR1. I think a free agent signing with good hands for the WR2 spot.Agree about the defense but McCoy and Levonte make a nice 1-2 up the middle. They need a stronger pass rush and I think some impact secondary players.
The only way we should go WR is if Laquon somehow drops to us. Which, given it's still very early, some mocks have happening.

This organization is so dumb. Keep him through this year and then fire him after they start improving when they finally got a qb? Keep on failing Bucs. No continuity just like the Browns.

Ding ding ding!

Laconfora:

If I'm the Bucs I'm reaching out to Todd Haley quickly. Worked with their GM in Arizona. QB whispered. Would be great with Jameis

Wait....he goes from 2 wins to 6 wins in his two seasons? WTF progression are you looking for???

I was ready for Lovie to leave the Bears but giving him 2 years in Tampa is ridiculous. Good luck to the next coach. Lovie is loved by his players. Bears players were all unhappy when Lovie was let go.

Wait....he goes from 2 wins to 6 wins in his two seasons? WTF progression are you looking for???
Thanksgiving to New Years was pretty rough to watch.
Team has been bad for years and just drafted a rookie qb. What were you expecting? If you hire a guy and he improves their record with a rookie qb in his second season and you fire him, it just shows how incompetent the franchise has become. Terrible franchise

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Team has been bad for years and just drafted a rookie qb. What were you expecting? If you hire a guy and he improves their record with a rookie qb in his second season and you fire him, it just shows how incompetent the franchise has become. Terrible franchise
8-24. Terrible coach. Time to move on.

I agree hiring so many coaches is bad, but if you know it's over, make the move. Better than going 8-8 next year then 7-9 after.

And I think the final four games sealed it for him (obviously). They were just so bad it was hard to look past it.

I'm not saying RBM (or you) are incorrect. But the last 5 weeks were pretty messy on the field. They regressed. Fact. Reason for firing? Dunno. Of course there were probably many moving parts here. DK nibbles for HC roles being one.

Laconfora:

Count me among those who believe the Bucs will be far better positioned to win long-term when the dust settles on this love...

8-24. Terrible coach. Time to move on. I agree hiring so many coaches is bad, but if you know it's over, make the move. Better than going 8-8 next year then 7-9 after.
That's how the fans look at it but not how to run a successful franchise, as evidenced by the Bucs history. I was outspoken against the Bucs hiring Lovie at first while a lot of people loved it. I actually started to change my mind this year and respected what Lovie had started to do with the team. They started building something that looked to be headed in the right direction. The GM will get fired after a couple more years of failing and the Bucs will be right back where they started. A colossal failure of a franchise.

8-24. Terrible coach. Time to move on.

I agree hiring so many coaches is bad, but if you know it's over, make the move. Better than going 8-8 next year then 7-9 after.
Terrible team, but Lovie isn't THE problem. Glazers are such buffoons.

8-24. Terrible coach. Time to move on. I agree hiring so many coaches is bad, but if you know it's over, make the move. Better than going 8-8 next year then 7-9 after.
That's how the fans look at it but not how to run a successful franchise, as evidenced by the Bucs history. I was outspoken against the Bucs hiring Lovie at first while a lot of people loved it. I actually started to change my mind this year and respected what Lovie had started to do with the team. They started building something that looked to be headed in the right direction. The GM will get fired after a couple more years of failing and the Bucs will be right back where they started. A colossal failure of a franchise.
They started building an offense. That credit has to go the offensive coordinator. The defense has been awful for 2 years and hasn't shown signs of getting better. That was lovies contribution

The fact is even most below average coaches would be able to make the jump from a 2 win team to a 5 or 6 win team when you had the #1 overall pick the previous year, on a franchise QB nonetheless. There was nothing spectacular about the turnaround this season, and even if there was, most logical people would put that on Jameis and Koetter, not Lovie.

3 coaches in 7 years. Good luck with that trend.
I get it, but then you just stick with the loser? Doesn't make any sense. He was terrible. He punted from the 37 on a 4th and 1. He partially ran a defense stuck in another era and allowed his opponent QBs to complete 70% of their passes. M

You don't get a hall pass just because of things you did 10 years. It wasn't working. On to the next loser.

I think Flap brings up some excellent points. I feel like good football teams don't overthrow the coaching staff all the time.

In general Cap usually supports whatever the Glazers do and I doubt he would argue much about that. Actually let me clarify, he doesn't support all Bucs moves but in general he usually sides with owners on coaching changes and the like.

I think we all know what happens when you run thru head coaches every 2-3 years and the Bucs are in a weird funk right now, let's go back a few years.

T.Dungy: Helped put together a Super Bowl caliber team but just could not get the offense in gear to win a title there. Nobody is going to argue that him leaving the Bucs was bad but it showed the Glazers had an itchy trigger finger. Still it had to happen and it would eventually produce a championship.

John Gruden: Wins the SB, out of a job 5 years later. I know things were not getting better and it felt like he pulled a Barry Switzer and won with somebody else's team or product. He wouldn't come close to another trip to the Super Bowl. I have mixed feelings about Gruden, thankful he helped the Bucs(My 2nd fav team) win the big one. But that SB win only buys you so many seasons and things were not getting better but I still felt like the owners thought they could get back quicker than what the reality showed.

I wish I could remember the next guy's name, I know he was African American and had the job 3 years? I don't remember much good happening with the team.

Greg Schiano: Disaster and a terrible hire with no NFL HC experience, doesn't work often.

Lovie Smith: They tried to go back into the Dungy coaching tree and I guess they have had enough. Maybe they feel like they can make a run at Chip Kelly or someone that will energize the fan base a bit, not that Bucs fans don't support, they show up.

I question what direction the team is moving in right now. Maybe the owners feel like a more offensive minded HC is what they need to develop the guy they spent #1 overall. Only thing really that matter right now to the Glazers is what will be best to further along the development of their QB. This is a passing league and trying to recreate a team built on defense like Dungy did might not be as easy now. Not saying a dominant defense will not win you a championship, Seattle has an awfully tough one the last 3-4 years. I hope the Bucs get it figured out and they get an identity.

Ugh. I guess I'll judge the move depending on who they hire.

The players don't seem happy so far.

The only way this makes sense is if there's already a handshake deal in place to promote Koetter.

Then hire a DC with an attacking style defense (Jim Schwartz?) and go get Mario who thrived in 13/14 with him.

Users who are viewing this thread