What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

I got Doug Martin fever. Also has Nicks inside blocking for him.
Just don't reach for him. He should come off the board as one of the last of the 'starting' RB in a 2 RB league. This offense is still going to have to throw a lot late in games to keep up with what their defense has allowed and Blount will steal some short yardage TDs. The up side is that the kid has great hands and WILL be used in the short passing game. Gotta see him play in the preseason before I 'catch the fever'! If he is there when I pick in the late 3rd or 4th, I might grab him depending on my earlier choices....but in most of my leagues, he may not last that long.

Blount looked really solid in tonight's game. He ran hard, had a couple of nice rushes and a catch. Martin also has looked pretty good, but Blount is not giving up the starting position without a fight. Freeman and Orlovsky both also looked ready for the season to start. Williams had a really nice catch to set up the first score; a dive by Blount. Tiquan Underwood went up and stole one from a defender for a 44 yard catch to set up the second TD; a plunge from Martin. Miami does NOT look good at all...maybe they are stunned at Garrard's injury (which some didn't know about until late in the day...he is out a couple of weeks with a knee). Bucs Defense looks decent, but too many penalties early on. Overall, about what I hoped for and expected out of a Schiano coached team. Anyone else get to watch it?

Kellen Winslow released by Seattle. Tanard Jackson busted again for drugs. Looks like the Bucs' front office made the right decisions on these two guys.

Next person calling Gerald McCoy a bust needs to be slapped. The defense was incredible when he played last year and he went nuts today.

10 yards rushing for Carolina.

I didn't get this game so I couldn't see what was happening. Vincent Jackson: 10 targets, 4 catches. Were these drops or bad throws?

Next person calling Gerald McCoy a bust needs to be slapped. The defense was incredible when he played last year and he went nuts today. 10 yards rushing for Carolina.
9 tackles for loss against 13 total rushing attempts. That is pretty impressive.

I didn't catch much of this game. I'm in need of a defense on the waiver wire.

Is this a sign of things to come for Tampa's D, or did they just play over their heads today? I know Barron is a stud already.

Freeman did not look bad, but he seems to lack confidence....which keeps him from pulling the trigger when guys break open.The goal line play call was horrendous.

Other than that, great start!

i think the only reason Martin didn't get in on the goal line was because some of the play calling was VERY VERY transparent (saw that coming) throughout the game. I certainly could predict almost every play. However, Tampa Bay's O-Line is only going to get better i feel. I am looking forward to watching this team going forward. Great tools for rebuilding!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano regarded as bully around NFL well before kneel-down incident

Michael Silver

When New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin angrily upbraided his Tampa Bay Buccaneers counterpart, Greg Schiano, after a controversial skirmish during a game-ending kneel-down play last Sunday, the two-time Super Bowl winner wasn't merely lecturing an NFL newcomer about an unwritten rule or fiercely protecting the health and safety of his seemingly defenseless players.

Whether Coughlin knew it – and I suspect he did – the Giants' coach was also standing up to a perceived bully who developed a dubious reputation in NFL circles during his 11 years as Rutgers' domineering head coach.

If you took a poll of league talent evaluators, no one would have a higher approval rating than Coughlin right now, because he essentially informed Schiano that the rookie's devil-may-care attitude won't cut it at football's highest level. This is a sensitive subject in scouting circles, because Schiano was almost universally viewed as unaccommodating, intimidating and downright disrespectful by NFL representatives who paid visits to Rutgers from 2001-11, and there were plenty of groans and eye-rolls when he accepted the Bucs job last January.

As one veteran NFL coach said of Schiano earlier this week, "It's his way or [expletive] you. He needs to back up a little bit, or he's going to have a very hard time in this league over the long haul."

In conversations with nearly a dozen NFL general managers, personnel executives, scouts and coaches familiar with Schiano's time at Rutgers, I detected an almost unprecedented degree of resentment and disdain for a man who has yet to coach his third professional game. They believe his decision to instruct his defenders to blow up the Giants' line and lunge at quarterback Eli Manning in a typically uncontested scenario was indicative of the unapologetic arrogance that made Rutgers a notoriously dreaded stop on most scouts' itineraries during his tenure. In the words of one NFC personnel executive, "It was pure misery."

If Joe Paterno's restrictive policies turned Penn State into the most infamous college "visit," checking out prospective pro players on the Rutgers campus was considered an even less enjoyable experience.

"Penn State was off limits for all but two days a year, but they didn't make you feel as unwelcome," says one AFC team's top personnel executive. "At Rutgers, it was a really unpleasant day. You were made to feel like an outsider, like you weren't welcome. And everyone was scared to talk to you.

"[schiano] tried so hard to be a hard ### and went out of his way to be rude. When you'd pass him in the hallway, you might say, 'Good morning,' and he'd look at you like you're a [expletive] idiot. A guy like him doesn't realize that probably half of us played the game at a really high level – it's completely condescending. He would go out of his way to make you feel as uncomfortable as he could."

The feelings of isolation weren't merely figurative: Schiano required visiting talent evaluators to spend part of the practice sessions sequestered in a small, sunken, dugout-like area far away from the non-visible field.

"They made you report to practice at a certain time – when it starts – but then they stuck you 200 yards away from the field in an [enclosed] alleyway," one NFC team's player personnel director recalled. "This is Jersey; it could be raining, sleeting, whatever. The field's elevated, so this was down the steps, where you couldn't see, and there's a security guard holding you there 'till you get the OK to come out and watch practice. Sometimes you stood for 45 minutes and only got to watch for 10 minutes. It varied. If you tried to talk to anyone on the staff, [schiano] gave you the stare-down. I think it was just a lack of respect to NFL personnel."

Said the AFC executive: "There's a box, a little bitty box, way away from the field. All the scouts had to stand in that box like a bunch of little kids. You couldn't step out; you literally had to stand in it. My feeling is that given who was chosen to coach the Bucs, all Tampa scouts should have to stand in a box at every college in America."

Rest assured there are many others who share that sentiment. Several years ago, an NFL personnel executive – who has since risen to the ranks of general manager – walked up to greet a pair of Schiano's Rutgers assistants, who had paid a scheduled visit to one of his team's training camp practices. As one witness recalled, the personnel executive told the Rutgers coaches, "Welcome. There's a box over there. You can go stand in it." The executive pointed to an area well removed from the field and glared at the stunned coaches. A few awkward seconds passed before the executive said, without offering much of a smile, "I'm just [messing] with you."

Most people in the scouting community aren't put off by Schiano simply because of personal grudges, or because they believe he made a tough job even more difficult. They also view him as some sort of hypocrite for taking a job in a league whose interests he treated with such obvious disdain for so long.

Since major college football serves as what amounts to a free farm system for the NFL, it's tempting to view visiting talent evaluators as entitled interlopers whose employers benefit from such an arrangement. Yet there are obvious advantages for college coaches, too: The presence of scouts is viewed favorably by players with NFL aspirations, and when a coach and/or program consistently send players to the league, it can be used as a persuasive recruiting tool.

Consider that Alabama coach Nick Saban, a notorious authoritarian, is nonetheless considered one of the most obliging hosts by NFL talent evaluators, which may play a role in the Crimson Tide's prodigious pipeline of players landing on pro rosters.

Being friendly, or at least civil, to visiting talent evaluators also is good business: Many area scouts ultimately ascend to positions with the power to hire coaches, or at least to influence the hiring process. I've spoken to more than one general manager who has told me he would never choose to work with someone who had once treated NFL people as rudely as Schiano did at Rutgers. It's no wonder that when the Bucs chose Schiano to replace Raheem Morris, many NFL personnel men were stunned.

One thing working in Schiano's favor was his friendship with New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, whose son Steven played for him as Rutgers' long-snapper in 2011. According to reports, Belichick's recommendation to the Glazer family, owners of the Buccaneers, may have been a factor in Schiano's hiring.

Belichick's high regard for Schiano is curious given what was possibly the coach's most divisive moment at Rutgers, an incident that was related several years ago by author and Washington Post columnist John Feinstein. According to Feinstein, Schiano, during his first visit to Navy with the Scarlet Knights, ignored a pregame itinerary that called for both teams to clear the field a few minutes early so that the Brigade of Midshipmen could perform their customary march. Schiano, Feinstein wrote, defiantly kept his team on the field as the Midshipmen appeared, and later falsely claimed not to have been aware of the tradition. Belichick's father, Steve, was a longtime assistant coach and scout at the Naval Academy.

If Schiano's approach is patterned after that of Belichick, a control freak who makes a point of restricting the flow of information and doesn't seem to care about how he is perceived by outsiders, the front-office officials to whom I spoke believe there is a key distinction he should consider. In the AFC personnel executive's words, "To me there is a respect level and a pecking order. When you're Bill Belichick, you can get away with a lot more than when you're a rookie head coach and haven't earned the right to do things. There is a rite of passage."

The perception that Schiano presumptuously disregarded his status as an NFL newbie by ordering his defenders to go after the kneeling Manning last Sunday – and stood by his insolence in postgame comments to reporters – caused personnel executives around the league to rail against his behavior in private contexts. That Coughlin felt compelled to confront Schiano publicly carried even more weight.

"He pissed off The Godfather," said one front-office executive for an NFC team. "Here's Tom Coughlin, one of the most respected men in this league, telling him he's out of line, wondering why his [$97-million] quarterback was put in harm's way. You have to understand that the NFL really is a brotherhood – these guys are in the same union, and some of them socialize together, and some end up as teammates down the road.

"He's been perceived as a bully in the NCAA, and he's still trying to bully. This league has little patience with that. It won't fly. And even before this, the NFL's scrutinizing eyes were already upon him."

Schiano may not care, but rightly or wrongly, a whole lot of experienced NFL talent evaluators have already stereotyped him as a self-centered autocrat who doesn't respect the game. You might say that they've put him in a box.

If he wants to escape it, now would be a great time to start.

I can see both sides of it. On one hand, the scouts are just doing their job. I can see why they'd be upset with him being so unaccommodating. I can also see why Schiano wouldn't be crazy about scouts coming in and expecting Rutgers to roll out the red carpet for them. Rutgers was terrible when Schiano took over. Completely irrelevant. They built from the ground-up, and probably very rarely got attention from NFL scouts. Versus Saban whose big sell is being an NFL prep plant basically. Saban is also the quintessential used car salesman college coach. Schiano is more like the Belichick of college. Not as a success standpoint, but more of a guy who is all for totalitarianism inside the program and dislikes anything outside the program. Very much like Belichick's relationship with the media. You've got people who are trying to do their job which could bring more notoriety and be a positive. But the coach doesn't see the value in it to his ultimate goal, so he isn't accommodating. The lack of respect for NFL personnel part does make them come off as a little entitled, probably due to getting great treatment elsewhere like an LSU or OSU or Florida where a main selling point is producing pro players. But if Schiano doesn't think it behooves him to do the whole dance with the scouts, there's not much you can do. Just because it's a different approach or viewpoint, doesn't mean it's without merit. I notice that being a trend with Schiano already. He doesn't follow the crowd with a lot of things and catches a lot of flack for that. Seems people are just adverse to change.

I don't think he's a bully, I think he's just a hard-### coach. I'm a little surprised at the reaction to him, considering that football has more of those types than basically any sport. What it comes down to is you can't make a guy go with the flow just to go with the flow. When you have a guy who thinks outside the box, it has to make sense to him. I think if more people tried to understand his POV, instead of trying to pick at it, more would understand him.

Aqib Talib has been a trouble maker from the start of his career in Tampa Bay, dating back to the time he got in a fistfight with a teammate at the rookie symposium, two months after the Bucs took him in the first round of the 2008 NFL draft. And some in Tampa think that his latest trouble should be his last.With the news that Talib has been suspended four games for a violation of the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy (for what he says was taking Adderall without a prescription), Gary Shelton of the Tampa Bay Times is weighing in and saying that the Bucs need to cut Talib.“The Bucs should have known better,” Shelton writes. “With Talib, there is always going to be another headache, another headline, another horror show. Sooner or later, he was going to let down his teammates once again.”It seems unlikely that the Bucs would cut Talib for taking Adderall when they didn’t cut him when he was charged with shooting at his sister’s ex-boyfriend (those charges were later dropped). But with a guy like Talib, the only way to ensure he won’t embarrass your team with off-field trouble is to get rid of him

ugh, the D is a gong show, though the D line has shown some signs of life this year
Other than the second half of the game against the Giants they've been fairly good. Losing Bowers and Clayborn hasn't helped. Big test this weekend.Rejoice Tampa Bay Bucs fans, it's on TV! :thumbup:

Falcons game two weeks ago was a total disaster. This week, he ran a lame ### give up play on third and 9 to let the worst pass-D in the league try and win the game. Instead of trying to put the game away and throw a slant or something to VJax who was killing the eagles all day, let's just give up and punt. :hot:

Wow was I wrong....Josh Freeman will never be anything more than a mediocre starting QB in the NFL. He can't even look to his second read....and when he is off, he can't hit the broad side of a barn. But what do the Bucs do? Sign Vick? Draft Murray or Bray in the 2nd round? Definitely not extending Freeman. He's Dilfer part 2.

Wow was I wrong....Josh Freeman will never be anything more than a mediocre starting QB in the NFL. He can't even look to his second read....and when he is off, he can't hit the broad side of a barn. But what do the Bucs do? Sign Vick? Draft Murray or Bray in the 2nd round? Definitely not extending Freeman. He's Dilfer part 2.
Vick? LOL, Freeman is better than Vick. Freeman isn't done here yet. It's the first year with Sullivan and Jackson and Martin. You've got Nicks and Joseph to look forward to next year. And they need help on the D-line, O-line, and at CB. No way they draft a QB high next year.

Freeman was terrible today for sure

Still...he has 25 picks to 8 INTs this year and will likely end up with around 4000 yards in his first year in a new system.

Low completion percentage for sure, but they do take a lot of deep shots.

Not only is he going to be around next year, it's likely to be with an extension.

Vick? LOL, Freeman is better than Vick. Freeman isn't done here yet. It's the first year with Sullivan and Jackson and Martin. You've got Nicks and Joseph to look forward to next year. And they need help on the D-line, O-line, and at CB. No way they draft a QB high next year.
Agree...which is why I think the Bucs are in a no-win spot for the next 2 years. Freeman is not good enough...he can improve, but i dont think he will ever be good enough. I'd be shocked if they extended him....he's not Schianos guy....but they can't cut bait.But we need to draft a QB this year in the first few rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree...which is why I think the Bucs are in a no-win spot for the next 2 years. Freeman is not good enough...he can improve, but i dont think he will ever be good enough. I'd be shocked if they extended him....he's not Schianos guy....but they can't cut bait.But we need to draft a QB this year in the first few rounds.
Freeman will likely get tagged, if nothing else. Which would allow us to see if he can improve again or maybe even take a step back again. Can't see them drafting a QB before round 4 though. Especially given that, with this year's QB class, teams are going to be forced to over-draft QBs. There's no value, and we'd be creating a QB controversy with an average talent. If we're going to replace Free, we should do it with someone who we are going to give a full try at QB for 3 years or more. Because for every Russell Wilson, there's 15 Charlie Frye's.

:lmao: picked the perfect day to hit the outlets with wife to Christmas shop. Hopefully Freeman is playing himself out of a job quicker than we forecasted.

Bucs D is atrocious and the QB is holding the offense back. OLine healthy next year + journeyman QB and the O would be a lot better...need to draft D in spades again next year...

Get those bags of money ready! :moneybag:
Rumored offer on the table from someone for Revis....
@AdamSchefter: Four teams - SF, PHIL, DET, TB - in play on Dashon Goldson - but DET, TB considered favorites. TB also in on CBs Sean Smith, B. Grimes, DRC.
Like the way the secondary is the target...DL is going to be a question.

Get those bags of money ready! :moneybag:
Rumored offer on the table from someone for Revis....
@AdamSchefter: Four teams - SF, PHIL, DET, TB - in play on Dashon Goldson - but DET, TB considered favorites. TB also in on CBs Sean Smith, B. Grimes, DRC.
Like the way the secondary is the target...DL is going to be a question.
Sign a corner and a safety. Draft a pass rusher. Profit.

Bucs are the likely Revis destination, if Jets move quicklyPosted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EDTAs the new league year approaches, the Jets have, for now, one serious trade partner for cornerback Darrelle Revis.Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it’s the Buccaneers.The challenge becomes doing a deal that works for everyone involved — the teams and the player. Some, including former Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum, believe that Revis should bring in the same haul that the Vikings got for receiver Percy Harvin. But there are major differences between the deals. First, one playoff team in the NFC traded Harvin to another playoff team in the same conference. To justify that deal, the compensation needed to be greater. The Jets, by sending Revis to a team they’d only have to worry about in the postseason if they meet in the Super Bowl, are taking less of a competitive risk by shipping Revis to Tampa. Second, and more importantly, Harvin had a year left on his deal and the Vikings could have used the franchise tag on him twice, before the salary would have become unwieldy. Thus, the Vikings controlled Harvin for a total of three more years. The Jets, in turn, have one more year with Revis. Next March, he can walk away without the ability to use the franchise tag, per his contract. Combined with the fact that the Jets have decided not to keep him beyond the 2013 season and the fact that he’s recovering from a torn ACL, Harvin actually is worth more in a trade than Revis. At best, it’s a package headlined by a second-round pick this year or possibly a first-rounder in 2014. Under these circumstances, a 2013 first-round pick for Revis doesn’t make sense.For the Jets and Revis, the question now becomes whether they are willing to do the deal, before the opportunity dries up. If the Bucs sign a player like, say, Falcons cornerback Brent Grimes once the market opens, the Bucs will lose interest in Revis — and as of right now there’s no one else trying to get the deal done.

Goldson in tow, which allows Barron to play more in the box where he'll hopefully be more comfortable.

They still desperately need a corner, but Goldson is a nice addition.

Mark Dominik's plan, along with the front office, to build through the draft and then add the missing pieces through free agency is really coming to fruition. The years of penny pinching after the Gruden/Allen era is definitely paying off.

Clayborn, Nicks, and Joseph returning from injury. McCoy finally having a breakthrough season. Vincent Jackson played fantastic and was a leader for Mike Williams. David and Martin playing significant roles at a high level in their rookie seasons.

This is an exciting, young, talented football team.

I'm surprised we haven't heard about any CB visits yet. I would of thought we would have more than a few lined up by now. It's a great year to need a CB. There were already some good ones out there, and not Namdi, and Winfield added. The only one off the market right now is Grimes. Mark Dominick must have not offered a 1st for Revis because I think it's in the Jets court at this point. Lol @ a "mystery team" entering the discussion. Jets aren't going to get much for the guy coming off an injury who probably wants a huge new deal. I wonder if he was trying to package Blount or Benn in there. According to the leaked call they are both getting interest.

As far as the CB thing, we may be waiting to see what happens with Wright. They may not drop him if they don't get the money back.

Report: Bucs 'on board' to make a Darrelle Revis trade

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Wednesday's big-money signing of safety Dashon Goldson won't preclude the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from continuing their pursuit of a Darrelle Revis trade.

The Bucs have been the favorites to land Revis since free agency commenced, and they're still champing at the bit to land the shutdown cornerback. The team's management is "fully on board" with a Revis trade, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole on Wednesday.

Jets general manager John Idzik has a reputation for deliberateness, and he's yet to be swayed by the Bucs' offer. The reported sticking point is the No. 13 overall pick in April's 2013 NFL Draft, which the Buccaneers have been unwilling to sacrifice.

If the Jets are modeling their potential trade haul on the first-, third- and seventh-round draft picks collected by the Minnesota Vikings in the Percy Harvin blockbuster, it's hard to blame Bucs general manager Mark Dominik for balking.

Dominik's first-rounder at No. 13 overall carries more value than the No. 25 overall selection traded by the Seahawks. More importantly, Revis' healthy is a complete mystery following reconstructive knee surgery on his torn anterior cruciate ligament. Last but not least, the Vikings had the option of hitting Harvin with the franchise tag for two more years while Revis' current contract prohibits the use of the tag.

The sides could find common ground in the coming days, though, as one source told Cole the Buccaneers are more willing to give up their 2014 first-round pick. Since the Jets are in full-blown rebuilding mode this year, it's a compromise that makes plenty of sense.

Users who are viewing this thread