What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

You have to think Dominik is pretty sure he can land Revis in a trade considering the lack of interest in the free agent CBs. Tampa has nothing at corner right now. The plan has to be Revis and then draft a CB with the 13th pick.

I'd say the current "offer on the table" is Tampa's 2nd, one of the 4th rounders, and LeGarrette Blount. The Jets clearly want the 1st rounder, but I doubt they get it.

If they can't get Revis then turn your attention to the free agent market, but I don't get the sense Tampa's front office is too thrilled with the options there.

You have to think Dominik is pretty sure he can land Revis in a trade considering the lack of interest in the free agent CBs. Tampa has nothing at corner right now. The plan has to be Revis and then draft a CB with the 13th pick.I'd say the current "offer on the table" is Tampa's 2nd, one of the 4th rounders, and LeGarrette Blount. The Jets clearly want the 1st rounder, but I doubt they get it.If they can't get Revis then turn your attention to the free agent market, but I don't get the sense Tampa's front office is too thrilled with the options there.
Rumor is the '14 1st could be on the table instead...as plan B. That scares me, only because I trust Freeman that little.

Haven't been able to say this in about 10 years, but if the Bucs get Revis (and Nicks/Joseph are healthy), they're pretty loaded. Should be a fun season.

With Revis and Goldson, they've shored up the secondary for sure. Health on the DLine will be pretty critical, as well as Freeman's play. But, things are looking up definitely!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...trade-finalizes-buccaneers-secondary-overhaul

Darrelle Revis trade finalizes Buccaneers' secondary overhaul
By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers graduated from 4-12 in 2011 to 7-9 last season under new head coach Greg Schiano. Following Sunday's trade for shutdown cornerback Darrelle Revis, expectations will be raised for playoff contention.

The Bucs are coming off a season in which they surrendered the second-most passing yards per game in NFL history. As long as Revis didn't leave his speed on the operating table, the secondary has gone from the team's biggest weakness to perhaps its greatest strength.

Revis isn't just an All-Pro talent. He's the rare play-making mirror cornerback capable of shutting down one side of the field, allowing safety help on the other side. The NFL is all about double teams, which means Revis makes his teammates better by his presence alone.

Over the last two seasons, the New York Jets have allowed 15 touchdowns and generated 23 interceptions with Revis on the field versus 20 touchdowns and seven interceptions with him sidelined. The most impressive Revis stat? He's given up just eight touchdowns over the past five years combined.

In addition to dealing for Revis, the Bucs shelled out $41.25 million to free safety Dashon Goldson, pairing him with last year's first-rounder, Mark Barron. While Goldson patrols center field, the big-hitting Barron is freed up to play more snaps in the box.

In short, the acquisitions of Revis and Goldson give the Bucs a fighting chance against the NFC South's dominant wide receivers such as Julio Jones, Roddy White, Vincent Jackson and Steve Smith. Schiano, a former defensive backs coach, is going to love tinkering with his new toys.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

So, let me get this straight. In the past two off-seasons the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have added:

Vincent Jackson

Carl Nicks

Eric Wright

Mark Barron

Doug Martin

LaVonte David

Dashon Goldson

Darrelle Revis

This is great.

So, let me get this straight. In the past two off-seasons the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have added: Vincent JacksonCarl NicksEric WrightMark BarronDoug MartinLaVonte DavidDashon GoldsonDarrelle Revis This is great.
Pretty amazing. And a 2nd, 3rd and two fourths this year -- ammunition to move up to the first if they see fit.

I believe Schiano is a fairly smart guy and I like how he is thinking here. If you stop the other team you typically win football games and he now has the nucleus of a solid secondary. The problem is you usually don't assemble a monster thru free agency.

That said they have brought in a lot of talent, they need to also find some hits in the draft to balance this out. Don't give up on Freeman, I think things will get easier for him with some shorter fields and a top notch running game that is going to be blowing holes in defenses with Doug Martin making more appearances as he did against Oakland for example.

Tampa Bay is probably not as good as Atlanta right now, maybe can compete with New Orleans but I also think the Saints are gonna be out for blood this year with the coaches back in full force. Carolina has a lot of work to do. Gonna be tough for the Bucs to make the playoffs. The NFC West is so strong right now and I think St Louis can get into it, Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit, Minnesota...all have been to the playoffs in the last 2 seasons, Giants, Skins, Cowboys...it's tough sledding in the NFC.

really want that Notre Dame TE.

Say he or someone else the Bucs want at 16 is there. Do the Rams and Fisher take Blount (his old love) our 2nd and our two fourths to move up? I could see a package like that.

really want that Notre Dame TE.Say he or someone else the Bucs want at 16 is there. Do the Rams and Fisher take Blount (his old love) our 2nd and our two fourths to move up? I could see a package like that.
I feel like that's a lot to give up unless Dominik is really in love with someone. Blount didn't get much run last year, but there is zero depth behind Martin, so they'd have to be looking to draft someone at RB too if they lose LB. The Rams also have the 22.

I keep hearing how much the Bucs need help at TE, but the TE isn't really a featured part of Sullivan's offense, and they still have Stocker and signed Crabtree. I'd be fine with that deal if there was a pass rusher at that spot who they couldn't live without.

The Patriots could be a trade target as well. We all know how much they love to wheel and deal, and they only have 5 picks in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dominik aggressively move back into the first. He's on record stating how much he likes the extra year on the contract for first round picks.

Even with Revis this team still has some holes on the defensive line and at corner.

really want that Notre Dame TE.Say he or someone else the Bucs want at 16 is there. Do the Rams and Fisher take Blount (his old love) our 2nd and our two fourths to move up? I could see a package like that.
I feel like that's a lot to give up unless Dominik is really in love with someone. Blount didn't get much run last year, but there is zero depth behind Martin, so they'd have to be looking to draft someone at RB too if they lose LB. The Rams also have the 22. I keep hearing how much the Bucs need help at TE, but the TE isn't really a featured part of Sullivan's offense, and they still have Stocker and signed Crabtree. I'd be fine with that deal if there was a pass rusher at that spot who they couldn't live without. The Patriots could be a trade target as well. We all know how much they love to wheel and deal, and they only have 5 picks in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dominik aggressively move back into the first. He's on record stating how much he likes the extra year on the contract for first round picks. Even with Revis this team still has some holes on the defensive line and at corner.
From what I am reading, for the first time in forever they feel comfortable with their depth and may not want to bring a lot of lower round draft picks in where they may not make the team.With that trade you have a first, a third, a fifth and two sixths. Still plenty of depth you can add. And I assume Brian Leonard would replace Blount. He'd pretty much just be a third down back after all.

A few from Rotoworld:

The Tampa Tribune doesn't expect the competition for the No. 2 running back job to be "much of a battle."
Sixth-round rookie Mike James is the heavy favorite, and some expect him to win out over Michael Smith and Brian Leonard in a landslide. James lacks explosion as a runner, but he is very disciplined and can block. Smith, on the other hand, could potentially be on the roster bubble.

Related: Michael Smith

Source: Tampa Tribune
The Tampa Bay Times suggests that Luke Stocker is currently penciled in as the Bucs' starting tight end.
Not breaking news. Behind Stocker on the depth chart are a host of players just hoping to make the team. Tom Crabtree is the biggest threat, but he has all of 18 career catches in 46 games. The Bucs reportedly have "a lot of confidence" in 6-foot-5 Stocker, but he isn't an intriguing fantasy option in redraft formats.

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Former Bears' 1st rounder Gabe Carimi acquired for a 6th rounder in 2014. One GM's trash is another's treasure.

Shores up the offensive line with a bit more depth, and Carimi is reunited with his offensive line coach from Wisconsin. He's had injuries to his knee, but hopefully can get back to 100% with the Bucs.

If your defense shows up AT ALL, this team should be right in the thick of things. That offense should be pretty damn good. Dynamic running back, two excellent receivers and arguably a Top-5 offensive line when all of them are healthy. If Freeman plays more consistently, it could be a nice year.

If your defense shows up AT ALL, this team should be right in the thick of things. That offense should be pretty damn good. Dynamic running back, two excellent receivers and arguably a Top-5 offensive line when all of them are healthy. If Freeman plays more consistently, it could be a nice year.
Defensive line depth and barely avg linebackers are a concern on defense. The secondary should be vastly improved with Revis and 2nd rounder Jonathan Banks. The skill positions look stout with VJAX, Williams and Ogletree at the wideouts. Josh Freeman can wing the ball downfield and I think he's in for a tremendous year. I'll be jumping on him in my fantasy drafts as a value sleeper. Bucs could be good, but they still look paper thin, and injuries could easily derail them. Still, there is a lot of fantasy upside on this team.

So is Freeman going to hold on in Tampa? I know that when they drafted Glennon, there was a lot of speculation that they'd let him go after this season. What is prevailing sentiment now that the pads are on?

So is Freeman going to hold on in Tampa? I know that when they drafted Glennon, there was a lot of speculation that they'd let him go after this season. What is prevailing sentiment now that the pads are on?
I don't think Freeman is a great QB but he has the highest paid O-Line in the history of football, one of the highest paid WR corps, and a stud RB. All he really has to do is not screw up. I honestly think 20 QBs in the league could look good in his situation. My biggest fear is that people overlook all he has around him if he is successful and start wanting the Bucs to give him a Flacco like deal. We have been in a good cap situation for several years, but that would certainly put us back in cap hell. Especially, since McCoy is going to be wanting a big contract soon as well. McCoy is actually an elite talent when healthy, Freeman isn't.

Glennon has a good arm but I don't think you can say he is a legitimate threat at this point.

To early to tell. Freeman will get every opportunity to earn his next contract. There isn't really an excuse for not improving since this will be the second year for the offensive core players in the same offensive system. I don't think we'll see much of Glennon this year, unless Freeman gets injured and is out a significant time.

He still has a tendency to throw into traffic, which he has done a couple times already in camp practices, so it will be interesting to see how long the schiano's vote of confidence lasts.

Mike James running as #2 RB today. Rumors of him moving up the depth chart.

Backup RB & #3 WR are the two top concerns about the Bucs in the fantasy world. I am watching this backup RB situation very closely as any of these guys has a chance to be a top 10 RB if Martin goes down. Yes, the O-line is that good.

Early reports were that Michael Smith was running as #2. Brian Leonard & Hillis are also in the Mix.

James is probably the most prototypical RB on the roster after Martin. Smith is a change of pace guy who is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball. We all know what Hillis can do when healthy. Leonard probably won't have any relevance except for possibly stealing the occasional TD & catching a few passes.

Defensive line depth and barely avg linebackers are a concern on defense. The secondary should be vastly improved with Revis and 2nd rounder Jonathan Banks. The skill positions look stout with VJAX, Williams and Ogletree at the wideouts. Josh Freeman can wing the ball downfield and I think he's in for a tremendous year. I'll be jumping on him in my fantasy drafts as a value sleeper. Bucs could be good, but they still look paper thin, and injuries could easily derail them. Still, there is a lot of fantasy upside on this team.
Mason Foster and LaVonte David do not agree with you.

Mason Foster and LaVonte David do not agree with you.
Average in terms of inexperience and in-game knowledge, but not as far as talent and upside.

I hear that Lawrence Tynes and Carl Nicks are likely candidates for the NFI list (non-football injury) list. To accomodate the final cuts to get down to 53 players. What seems unfair, and I would say grounds for a law suit, is that while they are on that list they don't get paid.

Now the staph infection that they got was in the Bucs facility and they get insult of no pay added to injury? From what it sounds like Tynes is suffering badly, and Nicks is a little better off. Both are likely to miss a game and a game check. The CBA probably never figured a NFI could actually be football related. I'd be pissed if I'm Tynes holed away in isolation and pain, and then take a good chunk of potential earnings away. And for Nicks, one game check is like a rookie's yearly salary. I hope the Bucs find some way to take care of them.

I hear that Lawrence Tynes and Carl Nicks are likely candidates for the NFI list (non-football injury) list. To accomodate the final cuts to get down to 53 players. What seems unfair, and I would say grounds for a law suit, is that while they are on that list they don't get paid.

Now the staph infection that they got was in the Bucs facility and they get insult of no pay added to injury? From what it sounds like Tynes is suffering badly, and Nicks is a little better off. Both are likely to miss a game and a game check. The CBA probably never figured a NFI could actually be football related. I'd be pissed if I'm Tynes holed away in isolation and pain, and then take a good chunk of potential earnings away. And for Nicks, one game check is like a rookie's yearly salary. I hope the Bucs find some way to take care of them.
I doubt Nicks turned down his game checks last season for the games he missed. It sucks for those guys, but it's a business.

:bag: I was feeling pretty optimistic during the offseason but started getting more worried the closer the season approached.

-Schiano - the guy is out of his league.

-Freeman - I'm not going to throw all the blame on him, but he clearly isn't the answer.

-Dominick - someone has to take the blame for assembling this mess

Too many penalties, I don't know WTF was going on that first drive where we couldn't get the play in and had to burn 2 timeouts. That's unacceptable in peewee football much less the NFL. Duemig was saying Schiano and Sullivan were both trying to call the play, which means there is trouble on the sidelines. DPenn showing his frustration on sideline in the 4th, that's not good. The highest paid O-line in football looks like the worst o-line in football. Jets D looks pretty strong still though, so I will give them that.

Same old Bucs. :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
So, let me get this straight. In the past two off-seasons the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have added:

Vincent Jackson

Carl Nicks

Eric Wright

Mark Barron

Doug Martin

LaVonte David

Dashon Goldson

Darrelle Revis

This is great.
I wouldn't be surprised if Carl Nicks never takes another snap in a Bucs uniform. They keep saying "he is respondign well" but I'm not buying it after Amanda Tynes tweet. I also heard from a source it was quite the opposite. However, I was worried about him before he MRSA. He would have never played a full season anyways.

Rookie QB, Mike James possibly starting at RB, how many games are they gonna win this year? What's the plan at this point?

Bus have always been my 1B to the Phins but I feel alienated as a fan with Schiano. Where do you start here? You have players from different drafts with different coaching philosophies, just confused as a fan what the next move is. I guess lose them all but 1 at this point?

Rookie QB, Mike James possibly starting at RB, how many games are they gonna win this year? What's the plan at this point?

Bus have always been my 1B to the Phins but I feel alienated as a fan with Schiano. Where do you start here? You have players from different drafts with different coaching philosophies, just confused as a fan what the next move is. I guess lose them all but 1 at this point?
I'm hoping they win this week. I'm going to be at this Carolina game. My first ever Bucs game. Going to cheer on the home team, even if they aren't my team.

woooo hooo!

Guessing that 1 you want them to win is Buffalo in Week 14?

Tough to see a team go through much turmoil, as a fan, for sure. But as a Chiefs fan, all I can suggest is to have some hope. Maybe you'll get your Andy Reid next year! Look for the pewter lining. :)

Edit: Re: MOP post above.

Maybe you'll get your Andy Reid next year! Look for the pewter lining. :)
Hopefully! Hard to imagine at this point that Schiano will still be there at One Buc Place come 2014.

As Quez said above, "Schiano - the guy is out of his league."

I was never a Freeman fan but I really want to see him do well tonight. I don't understand why the Bucs just released him. Even if they couldn't trade him they should of kept him as a backup. If for any reason to not make them look bad playing for another team. Fast forward 3 weeks and here we are. Bucs still suck and Josh is a few million richer starting on MNF agaisnt a horrible NYG defense. :popcorn:

My main issue with Freeman is that he wasn't elite and the new rookie salary cap makes it worth the risk of drafting a rookie QB. Not to mention there has been a good amount of success with rookie draft picks in recent years. Glennon doesn't look terrible either but he is by no means a franchise QB.

Schiano is an egotistical, meat head, micro-manager that needed to be fired 2 weeks ago. He is a joke, but I want to focus the attention on Mark Dominick. How bad is he going to look if Freeman looks good in Minny? In less than a year he has let Josh Freeman, Aquib Talib, and Michael Bennet walk away. We got Mike James and an injured track star for Talib, but he is a top 3 CB right now. I heard last week Michael Bennet was rated out as the best DE in football this season. And we let him go becasue we had Daquan Bowers.

And why the hell are we still playing Revis in zone defense? Fitzgerald, Desean Jackson, and even Harry Douglas are all scoring on us. EVERYONE is critical about this yet they haven't budged once. In fact, the D-Coordinator made a sarcastic remark inviting the fans to come to 1Buc if they think they can do a better job. The entire staff is made up of losers. Wanny = loser, Butch Davis = loser, Schiano = loser, Sullivan = runs an archaic & out dated offense, Sheridan = stubborn loser that insist on running zone

We need to 100% clean house. New GM & new HC.

I like the Bucs to beat the Phins this week.

Mia is embroiled in controversy, too much distraction, there could be locker room division, loss of faith in coaches, dispirited team.

They've lost two starting linemen.

In TB.

Bucs looked *decent* against the Hawks (however with that conservative gameplan from the end of the first half on you knew they would lose).

Glennon's looking good. I'm thinking he gets 3 TDs and maybe the Bucs defense decides they at least want one win more than they hate their coach.

About the above comments - not a follower of course but I've seen enough and I don't think you guys need to clean house. You do need a new coach though, that's obvious.

Schiano should go coach at Arkansas for the `Backs, they'd love that personality and gameplan there.

Hey Tampa homers...

Is Glennon looking good enough that the Bucs would bypass one of the top QBs in next year's draft (assuming they're in position to draft one)?

I hate this team. If these dumb ####ers #### up this top-3 pick by going 6-10 or something I'm going to revolt.

Hey Tampa homers...

Is Glennon looking good enough that the Bucs would bypass one of the top QBs in next year's draft (assuming they're in position to draft one)?
I don't think it really even matters how Glennon looks anymore. It's a matter of Schiano's coaching life expectancy. Most still view Schiano as deadman walking. Assuming a complete turnover of the wholy unpopular coaching staff this offseason and a top 3 pick, there really is no way Glennon has a future in Tampa. Put another way, do you believe Schiano survives a top 3 draft pick season? If not, do you really think a new regime is going to latch on to a stiff, wooden 3rd round QB over a Bridgewater or Mariota? Glennon is playing his audtion for a shot to be somebody's future clipboard holder is what I believe.

Glennon averages 5.8 yards an attempt. Chad Henne looks at that and frowns.

Btw, that's #32 in the NFL. Brandon Weeden is at 5.85.

You do not pass on a QB for that.

Thanks guys. Don't see too much TB football up here in MN.

Glennon's stat line looks like it might be a guy with some potential. But if he doesn't pass the eye test, that's more valuable to know.

It'll be really interesting when/if Jax, TB, and MN are at the 1/2/3 spots and if Mariotta decides to remain in school.

In the interest of fairness, Glennon looked really good yesterday. And other than VJax he doesn't have many weapons on offense.

Users who are viewing this thread