What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seinfeld actor's botched suicide attempt (1 Viewer)

Joe Summer

Footballguy
'Seinfeld' actor Daniel von Bargen survives suicide attempt, makes harrowing 911 call

Daniel von Bargen, who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld," is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt. TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Von Bargen tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- von Bargen replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Von Bargen says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is and von Bargen replies: "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later, and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape, yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, von Bargen goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/02/22/seinfeld-actor-daniel-von-bargen-survives-suicide-attempt-makes-harrowing-11/?intcmp=features#ixzz1n9DzOHDS

I'm surprised that he was only in 4 episodes of Seinfeld. He had so many classic lines:

"I could go either way with you...but what the hell, we need someone." (George: "You won't regret this, sir." Kruger: "I don't care. Let's find you an office.")

"I'm not too worried about it."

"Boy did we take it on the chin last year."

"I find your belief system fascinating."

"Dr. Van Nostrand?"

"K-uger....that sounds like one of those old-time car horns, huh? Kay-YOO-ger! Kay-YOO-ger!"

"T-bone! T-bone! T-bone!" (and "Koko! Koko! Koko!")

Sad to listen to that call. Hope he's OK. Diabetes can be awful. Watched my grandmother end up losing both legs up to about the knees before she died. I can understand how that prospect would cause someone to become depressed enough to try to end it all.

Already lost one leg and was scheduled to have a couple of toes on the other amputated this past Monday.... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the "R" falling off the sign finally got to him.

Serious response: I can't imagine losing a leg. Sad stuff.

Whoa; that was some disturbing audio.

That was a broken man; I can't even imagine the fear and depression that would lead him to that choice, let alone those agonizing moments after he failed his suicide attempt, and before they got him under at the hospital. I'll say a prayer for him tonight; just tragic.

This is why assisted suicide should be accepted and encouraged. Wouldn't it be nice to let people go out on their own terms, at a nice facility, family and friends there to celebrate their life in a sort of living wake, a good meal, glass of wine, comfy bed, favorite music, peaceful images and then you go painlessly. Like in Soylent Green, except we won't turn them into food. Would save a lot on health care too.

This is probably the wrong thread but, can diabetes lead to mental health issues? I know losing a leg and some toes could drive some people to suicide. But i remember reading an article about Woody Page wanting to off himself because of Diabetes. I sometimes wonder if Jay Cutler couldn't use some anti-depressants.

Met him and talked to him a bit whilst we were both smoking cigs outside of Nashville airport back in '01. Seemed like a real nice guy. I hope he recovers and rethinks.

Unintentional funny moment in the 911 call: when the 911 operator asks if he knows his sister's phone number "..off the top of your head.."

This is why assisted suicide should be accepted and encouraged. Wouldn't it be nice to let people go out on their own terms, at a nice facility, family and friends there to celebrate their life in a sort of living wake, a good meal, glass of wine, comfy bed, favorite music, peaceful images and then you go painlessly. Like in Soylent Green, except we won't turn them into food. Would save a lot on health care too.
:goodposting:

:goodposting: :goodposting: It's sad that Dr. Kevorkian was demonized all those years for providing this service to the sick. I tried, and tried this morning to put into words how difficult it was watching my father die in hospice. I couldn't get it right. So I'll just say that I wish we had had an alternative back then.

Another example of how important your health is. Without good health, any fame and fortune means very little.

The transcript was agonizing enough to read...I couldn't listen to the audio.

Tragic to see another human being in such a broken state.

'Jobber said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
:goodposting: :goodposting: It's sad that Dr. Kevorkian was demonized all those years for providing this service to the sick. I tried, and tried this morning to put into words how difficult it was watching my father die in hospice. I couldn't get it right. So I'll just say that I wish we had had an alternative back then.
I agree 100% here...I think doctor assisted suicide should be legal...BUT, I find it interesting that he decided to call 911 instead of pick up the gun and shoot again. Just saying. Did he REALLY want to die?

I find it interesting that he decided to call 911 instead of pick up the gun and shoot again. Just saying. Did he REALLY want to die?
If you listen to the call, he said he couldn't see/open his eyes. He very calmly said he shot himself in the temple. Yes, he really did want to die. But he couldn't see anymore. Maybe he could have groped for the gun, who knows if he had anymore bullets left or was in any condition to load them. His tone was "aw ####, I screwed up. Someone help me". If given a chance to do it again, he no doubt would. Sad way to go.

Encouraged how? I'm not saying that I am against assisted suicide, but Von Bargen- while facing the unenviable loss of more digits to diabetes- seemed more like he was depressed over those prospects than he was a hospice patient. Is assisted suicide something you want to make available to those struggling with depression who just might find help with the proper medication?

Sad to listen to that call. Hope he's OK. Diabetes can be awful. Watched my grandmother end up losing both legs up to about the knees before she died. I can understand how that prospect would cause someone to become depressed enough to try to end it all.
I'm curious why you would even listen to the call. It's baffling to me that these are public record.

I find it interesting that he decided to call 911 instead of pick up the gun and shoot again. Just saying. Did he REALLY want to die?
If you listen to the call, he said he couldn't see/open his eyes. He very calmly said he shot himself in the temple. Yes, he really did want to die. But he couldn't see anymore. Maybe he could have groped for the gun, who knows if he had anymore bullets left or was in any condition to load them. His tone was "aw ####, I screwed up. Someone help me". If given a chance to do it again, he no doubt would. Sad way to go.
It just seems to me that it's either easier, or AT LEAST as easy to pick up the gun you were just holding and pull the trigger again versus finding a phone, picking it up, and dialing 9-1-1 blind. I honestly don't think either one is that difficult. To your point, if he only had 1 bullet or only loaded one, that makes sense...but I'd question why he didn't just shoot himself again if he really wanted to die.

It just seems to me that it's either easier, or AT LEAST as easy to pick up the gun you were just holding and pull the trigger again versus finding a phone, picking it up, and dialing 9-1-1 blind. I honestly don't think either one is that difficult. To your point, if he only had 1 bullet or only loaded one, that makes sense...but I'd question why he didn't just shoot himself again if he really wanted to die.
You think it's possible he didn't really want to die?

I do.There are botched suicide attempts all the time where the person was just too depressed to handle everything on their plate. There's a difference between not knowing how to handle the stresses that are bearing down on you and wanting to escape and actually wanting to end your time on earth and never seeing friends and family again.

If he found losing a leg and the prospect of losing a few toes too much to bear, he's in for a rude awakening if he recovers.

'Del Griffith said:
Unintentional funny moment in the 911 call: when the 911 operator asks if he knows his sister's phone number "..off the top of your head.."
Anybody with half a brain should know better than to say something like that.

I'm curious why you would even listen to the call. It's baffling to me that these are public record.
Totally agree.
Agreed. Although I did listen to the call. :bag: How 911 calls become public record at all, never mind the week of an incident is beyond me.

I do.There are botched suicide attempts all the time where the person was just too depressed to handle everything on their plate. There's a difference between not knowing how to handle the stresses that are bearing down on you and wanting to escape and actually wanting to end your time on earth and never seeing friends and family again.
It's also possible that he botched the attempt on purpose. Like he knew where to shoot so it wouldn't really kill him but do enough damage that he could get help in the area of his life that he really needed it.

It's also possible that he botched the attempt on purpose. Like he knew where to shoot so it wouldn't really kill him but do enough damage that he could get help in the area of his life that he really needed it.
He shot himself in the temple. I doubt theres much room for error. Im pretty sure anyone who shoots themselves in the temple is actually trying to get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread