Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They need to get rid of automatic replay of all scoring plays and turnovers.  Now every exciting play is immediately followed by a hmm I wonder if it will stand.  We don't celebrate the play anymore,

Couple of thoughts: The popularity of the NFL increased with the rise in fantasy football.  I wonder if FFL reached its peak and is starting to tail off.  Maybe I'm way off, but it seems to me t

Perhaps.  But, there are a lot of other things that neuroscientists need to do. 1.  Establish an agreed upon pathology that differentiates CTE.  At present there are preliminary criteria, all of

I prefer lacrosse to soccer myself...

I was going to bring up lacrosse. I think it's "growing" at a faster rate than soccer if remember correctly.
We have pro games aired on TV here nowadays. channel 45, which you can get with an antenna. I don't know about soccer though...
  • 2 months later...
The NFL appears to be doing everything possible to make Mark Cuban's quote from March accurate, "Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

NFL wants Super Bowl halftime performers to pay for the privilege

As it has grown and grown and grown some more, the NFL has continued to find more and more and more revenue streams.

The latest could be the Super Bowl halftime show. Currently a gig the performer plays for free in order to turn a gigantic international platform into the high profile and profits that go with it, the league now wants a cut.

According to the Wall Street Journal (via SportsBusiness Daily), the NFL has asked the three artists under consideration for the Super Bowl XLIX halftime show to “contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income” to the NFL, or to “make some other type of financial contribution.” Per the report, the idea received a “chilly reception” from the representatives of Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Coldplay.

Regardless, it only takes one performer to bite the hook in order for the NFL to parlay the halftime show into even more of a moneymaker. And it’s entirely possible that the league leaked the development in order to pressure one of the three to blink, given that plenty of other performers who would gladly give up a piece of a pie they otherwise don’t have will now be calling the league to offer whatever the league wants for the privilege of playing to one of the biggest audiences in TV history.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Can't remember ever feeling like this -- no desire to watch games, work the waiver wire, set lineups, etc...just disgusted with the Peterson stuff, Goodell getting his cronies to run an "independent" investigation, all the injuries, stupid penalties. Plus the Giants look like crap.

I guess I'll eventually snap out of it but as of now I have no plans to watch football this weekend.

• Like 1

Can't remember ever feeling like this -- no desire to watch games, work the waiver wire, set lineups, etc...just disgusted with the Peterson stuff, Goodell getting his cronies to run an "independent" investigation, all the injuries, stupid penalties. Plus the Giants look like crap.

I guess I'll eventually snap out of it but as of now I have no plans to watch football this weekend.

Watch football on Saturdays. I prefer college football to the NFL by a good margin......Being a Cowboys fan may have something to do with it.

Watch football on Saturdays. I prefer college football to the NFL by a good margin......Being a Cowboys fan may have something to do with it.

Actually if you follow a small college team locally it can be fun, get cheap tickets, get some friends, get some beers befroe the game, great way to spend a Saturday. I've started doing this with Tulane now that they are back in a new stadium Uptown.

Actually if you follow a small college team locally it can be fun, get cheap tickets, get some friends, get some beers befroe the game, great way to spend a Saturday. I've started doing this with Tulane now that they are back in a new stadium Uptown.

The college atmosphere is great! I miss tailgating at the Oregon State games.

The college atmosphere is great! I miss tailgating at the Oregon State games.

Plus the players will still cripple themselves for your entertainment without all the personal misbehaviors! Win-Win!

I love the NFL and football is by far my favorite sport but these three things are driving me away:

1) Excessive Penalities and Rules - don't hit high, don't hit low, don't celebrate, don't even think about touching the QB, etc.

2) Excessive Commericals & Stoppages in Play - kickoff, 5 mins of commercials, pass play under review, cut to 5 mins of commercials, repeat. (Redzone has been a godsend)

3) Coaching & RB Personnel Decisions - a given team has 3-4 running backs touching the ball in a game, wildcat garbage, stud RB fumbles once gets benched for eternity, stud RB gets benched so some bum can come in and run it in from the 1.

Honerable Mention - domes. Just stupid. Football is meant to played in incliment weather and now most stadiums are moving towards domes. Unfortunate.

It takes a long time for a major sport to fall out of favor, and there's no sign at the box office that the NFL is anywhere near that.

But... the way it happens is if the sport diverges from the dominant culture's values too much. Boxing and horse racing used to be huge, but then... seedy wasn't in vogue and everyone got all middle class. They still exist, but not like they used to 75 years ago.

Concussions, cheap shots, crippled ex-players, steroids, wife and child beating -- those things used to be fine. Sad, but true -- they were ignored. Now increasingly they aren't. That's why the NFL has been adapting over the years both on and off the field. But in some ways they've been too slow and it's caught up with them in the last few years/weeks.

They'll keep working at it, and recognizing the possibility goes a long way, but it's not hard to see how in the very long run (decades) enough younger people could be turned off by the problems that the more marginal parts of the NFL's fan base ages and dies off with no replacements coming in behind.

Edited by wdcrob

I love the NFL and football is by far my favorite sport but these three things are driving me away:

1) Excessive Penalities and Rules - don't hit high, don't hit low, don't celebrate, don't even think about touching the QB, etc.

2) Excessive Commericals & Stoppages in Play - kickoff, 5 mins of commercials, pass play under review, cut to 5 mins of commercials, repeat. (Redzone has been a godsend)

3) Coaching & RB Personnel Decisions - a given team has 3-4 running backs touching the ball in a game, wildcat garbage, stud RB fumbles once gets benched for eternity, stud RB gets benched so some bum can come in and run it in from the 1.

Honerable Mention - domes. Just stupid. Football is meant to played in incliment weather and now most stadiums are moving towards domes. Unfortunate.

Not sure why #3 could be an issue for anyone unless they got burned by a 1st round draft pick RB on your fantasy team who fumbled and lost his job for a spell or had touchdowns taken away by a Mike Tolbert type.

The 1980-2000s were odd in that most teams did not have committee backfields. In the 1920-1970s and 2010s, committees were more the norm.

Edited by Fariq

It takes a long time for a major sport to fall out of favor, and there's no sign at the box office that the NFL is anywhere near that.

I think there is a chance it could be something like the housing market busting a decade ago. Everything looking great, value going up, looks great, looks great, then BAM..................

The NFL is VERY lucky that fantasy football is so huge.

I could see something happen like the NFL going after all the major FF sites in court, and if that happened, I can see the potential for FF to die off, which could lead to a REAL quick negative impact on the NFL.

If we ever get back to the point where everyone is watching football for JUST the actual football, people might begin to not like what they see anymore. The game is so much different than it was 15 or so years ago, and not for the better IMO, and in the opinion of basically anyone I ever talk to about it.

They really are oversaturating the hell out of it, forcefeeding it to us every second, and the incessant rule changes and drama BS...................boom. Not saying it will happen, but I certainly see the potential for it.

• Like 2

I think there is a chance it could be something like the housing market busting a decade ago. Everything looking great, value going up, looks great, looks great, then BAM..................

I could see something happen like the NFL going after all the major FF sites in court, and if that happened, I can see the potential for FF to die off, which could lead to a REAL quick negative impact on the NFL.

If we ever get back to the point where everyone is watching football for JUST the actual football, people might begin to not like what they see anymore. The game is so much different than it was 15 or so years ago, and not for the better IMO, and in the opinion of basically anyone I ever talk to about it.

They really are oversaturating the hell out of it, forcefeeding it to us every second, and the incessant rule changes and drama BS...................boom. Not saying it will happen, but I certainly see the potential for it.

And in your hypothetical, why is the NFL taking all the major FF sites to court?

Especially since, as you said, FF enhances their on-field product?

IMHO, the NFL made a collossal mistake by getting involved with punishing players for off the field misconduct in the first place.

If I were them I would have just stayed out of all of it. I would have took a hard stance and let the appropriate authorities handle all the off the field stuff. "We are a football league, not the police. We handle the offenses on the field and we'll let the appropriate authorities hand out the appropriate penalties they seem fit". Done.

They are in a no win situation now having already set precident.

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Like 1

IMHO, the NFL made a collossal mistake by getting involved with punishing players for off the field misconduct in the first place.

If I were them I would have just stayed out of all of it. I would have took a hard stance and let the appropriate authorities handle all the off the field stuff. "We are a football league, not the police. We handle the offenses on the field and we'll let the appropriate authorities hand out the appropriate penalties they seem fit". Done.

If we took a poll here -- and maybe anywhere else in this country -- with option 1 being "I like the current system of centralized discipline," option 2 of "I think the individual teams should handle discipline" and your suggestion being Option 3, the current system would win by a wide majority. I'm an Option 2 voter, btw.

If you took the same poll in England, Option 1 would finish last

Not sure why #3 could be an issue for anyone unless they got burned by a 1st round draft pick RB on your fantasy team who fumbled and lost his job for a spell or had touchdowns taken away by a Mike Tolbert type.

The 1980-2000s were odd in that most teams did not have committee backfields. In the 1920-1970s and 2010s, committees were more the norm.

Fantasy is a slight part of my reasonsing but I just miss the old days of workhorse backs that took over and dominated games.

had a little too much coffee this morning?

Agreed that fantasy football has been a big factor in the growth. I believe a large number of otherwise marginal fans follow more closely because they have "one of their players" playing. I know fantasy football is the reason I started watching more NFL when I was previously more of a college fan. The player misconduct, concussion issues, and perceived arrogance of the front office are likely to return many of those fans back to their marginal status. I don't know that it will be the death of NFL but certainly we could see plateau at best, decline in viewership (and thus $$$) at worst. Secondary to the fact most people don't like to see players severely hurt, the increase in injuries(or at least perceived increase) also make the fantasy football experience less enjoyable which could lead to less people playing and less people following NFL.

I agree 100%

Fantasy is a slight part of my reasonsing but I just miss the old days of workhorse backs that took over and dominated games.

There have been a total of 56 seasons where an RB has gotten 350+ carries. 16 of those were in the 1980s, 17 were in the 1990s, and 21 were in the aughts. Your nostalgia is for something that never existed.

They make most of their money from advertising. Companies wouldn't pay them billions if they just ignored the off-field stuff. They could get away with ignoring more 20 years ago but these are different times.

They make most of their money from advertising. Companies wouldn't pay them billions if they just ignored the off-field stuff. They could get away with ignoring more 20 years ago but these are different times.

But there are multiple schools of thought on that issue. By sticking to one side or the other, the NFL is guaranteed to piss off some portion of the consumer base. But by bumbling through this recent rash of incidents, the NFL has managed to piss off BOTH sides of the issue.

So there is some wisdom in just picking one side, sticking to it, and defending it.

You are starting to see people get tired of the whole boycott mentality. The NFL's controversy is right in that vein. I myself am a bit more jaded to the idea of punishing someone out in the marketplace because they don't believe like I do. So it might be an opportune time for some industry to make that stand. In fact, the scenario in which the NFL finds itself is almost ideal in that regard because there is a criminal law process out there to make sure the people we don't like....err...the criminal...gets what he deserves. The NFL, moreso than A&E with the whole Phil Robertson controversy, can actually sit back and say that ADP, Dwyer, et al. WILL get what they deserve when the criminal justice system works on it.

There have been a total of 56 seasons where an RB has gotten 350+ carries. 16 of those were in the 1980s, 17 were in the 1990s, and 21 were in the aughts. Your nostalgia is for something that never existed.

I don't understand your point for two reasons:

1. Fariq said that 1980s-2000s were single RB (vs. committee). Your data shows that 54 of the 56 350+ carry seasons happened in that time, which would indicate F was right. So what is it that never existed?

2. Before 1978, there were only 14 games per season - so a 306 carry season = 350 carries post 1978

• Like 1

I don't know about the lawsuit stuff, but I agree that fantasy football is the straw that stirs the drink. We still live and die with our local teams as we always have, but fantasy football is the reason we're still watching in the 4th quarter of last night's game. It's the reason we know who most of the players are from other teams.

I think the NFL feels, probably correctly, that it will continue to prop them up regardless of what changes they make. I would like to think that the player safety emphasis is about improving the life of players after football, but we all know it's really about 18 games.

Honestly as long as fantasy football exists, I don't think they have much to worry about.

If we took a poll here -- and maybe anywhere else in this country -- with option 1 being "I like the current system of centralized discipline," option 2 of "I think the individual teams should handle discipline" and your suggestion being Option 3, the current system would win by a wide majority. I'm an Option 2 voter, btw.

If you took the same poll in England, Option 1 would finish last

This is how I know people are stupid, except English people must be a little smarter.

Edited by cloppbeast

And in your hypothetical, why is the NFL taking all the major FF sites to court?

Especially since, as you said, FF enhances their on-field product?

For a huge chunk of their profits. After all a lot of money is being made off the NFL. The NFL would be stupid to do it but they are also quite greedy.

And the ratings keep getting higher. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. Nothing is going to "die" unless people stop watching. I hear a lot of claims on that front, but don't see any evidence it is really happening.

A lot of stupid shows out there these days have high ratings. But they eventually fade. In the long run a good product will keep the ratings. A bad product wont.

A rise in ratings does not automatically mean the product is better. Not at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Football is too big in the US. Yea, they'll try to rule change head injuries out. They'll react when NFL players do stupid crap. But ultimately it will be about the money. Guys will keep getting knocked silly and beating up their wives, and we'll keep watching. Nothing is perfect, even though the bleeding heart libs want it to be.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Cuban may be right...

NFL on ESPN @ESPNNFL

The NFL plans to move Super Bowl Media Day from Tuesday to Monday night in Primetime.

I think my first "AHA" moment of what Cuban talked about was when the TNF became every week. Even as a guy who loves his football, it just felt to be too much. Too much of a good thing theory, ya know?

Now, as these train wreck games have affected FF with the increasing feeling of no down time, the rushed decision on injured players and the general weaker product on the field (seems like a lot of the TNF games are dog games), I feel this way even more.

As much as I truly have loved the NFL for so many years, I find myself almost "anti-NFL" when I hear about their blatant attempts to saturate their exposure more and more. I don't need a half week of my life locked down because of a draft on primetime tv. I don't need to watch washed up veteran players running 40s at a veteran combine. And on and on.

The NFL would run an hour long special of the evolution of NFL logos in a gif format if they thought they could turn a buck on it. At some point, exposure of the NFL does more to push me away than draw me in.

• Like 2