What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (10 Viewers)

The Lions offseason so far has been sad to say the least. With almost everyone of value on defense signed and all we got was Tate as a FA that can impact now and he plays offense. How can this team compete with the teams that got better that were already better.

I see a lot of 42-38 games this year as the defense will not be able to stop anyone and Detroit will make the late in the game mistakes that have constantly hindered them. I was gonna give it a few days to see how it went and I have, disappointing to say the least especially at the price some of these guys are signing at.

The Lions offseason so far has been sad to say the least. With almost everyone of value on defense signed and all we got was Tate as a FA that can impact now and he plays offense. How can this team compete with the teams that got better that were already better.

I see a lot of 42-38 games this year as the defense will not be able to stop anyone and Detroit will make the late in the game mistakes that have constantly hindered them. I was gonna give it a few days to see how it went and I have, disappointing to say the least especially at the price some of these guys are signing at.
Det doesn't need THAT much on D. The Dline is solid. If they draft Gilbert, all will be looking good.

Lions signed FB Jed Collins to a one-year contract.
The new Lions coaching regime continues to tip their hand in regards to scheme. They're moving away from the wide-open, shotgun sets Scott Linehan loved and toward more traditional formations. It's great news for Joique Bell. Collins, PFF's No. 1 lead blocker in 2011, knows OC Joe Lombardi from their time together in New Orleans.
Its great news for Bell but not Reggie? :lol: I love that everyone on Rotoworld thinks Bush is expendable and Bell is a stud. Wasn't the Lions offense pretty much the same last year when we had Owens, until he got hurt. After that they put in Bell to run more two back sets? On top of that didnt the Lombardi offense utilize Sproles and Pierre to pass too a lot and while they used the FB it was mostly to block on passes. Bush is the better player than Bell and if Rotoworld has their way they would cut Bush. I'm not talking dynasty I'm talking this coming year.

Det doesn't need THAT much on D. The Dline is solid. If they draft Gilbert, all will be looking good.
they Need a starting DE, a starting Saftey, better corners, and a starting LB, plus LB depth.

besides that yeah they are in great shape

they Need a starting DE, a starting Saftey, better corners, and a starting LB, plus LB depth.

A shutdown corner would help this team majorly in a division with Marshall, Jeffery, Patterson, Jennings, Nelson and Cobb. Gilbert and Dennard are the only ones who look like a possible future shutdown corner too me in the draft. I wonder, even with the cap, why the Lions didnt do everything in their power to go get one of the many good corners on the wire this year. Lots of good LBs and DEs too, yet, they get NONE! I would of cut half the scrubs this team has for depth to free up room as many good depth players would be available soon enough after they rework Suhs deal.

Lions front office, what did you expect, a good off season? Please this is one of the most putrid front offices in an industry ever. Maybe a little hyperbole there, but not much.

Edit: Why are they not banging down the door of Cromartie right now? Again, money can always be finagled. Answer, because the Lions front office is the least creative I have ever seen and do not have a clue evaluating talent. If its not a no brainier pick like Stafford, Calvin or Suh, tell me how their judge of talent goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

they Need a starting DE, a starting Saftey, better corners, and a starting LB, plus LB depth.besides that yeah they are in great shape
The Dline is fine. The combo of Suh, Fairely and Ansah is in the top of the NFL. They need a CB, but not an overhaul of CBs. Houston is pretty good but they desperately need another guy to match with him. They also need a S but it's not as large a need as CB IMO. LB is ok. If we're going to start nitpicking depth than every team in the NFL has major needs.

Wait until they draft a receiver in the 1st again lol

they Need a starting DE, a starting Saftey, better corners, and a starting LB, plus LB depth.besides that yeah they are in great shape
The Dline is fine. The combo of Suh, Fairely and Ansah is in the top of the NFL. They need a CB, but not an overhaul of CBs. Houston is pretty good but they desperately need another guy to match with him. They also need a S but it's not as large a need as CB IMO. LB is ok. If we're going to start nitpicking depth than every team in the NFL has major needs.
They have one of the worst back 7s in football

Whos the DE opposite Ansah?

Tulloch & levy at LB are decent

A shutdown corner would help this team majorly in a division with Marshall, Jeffery, Patterson, Jennings, Nelson and Cobb. Gilbert and Dennard are the only ones who look like a possible future shutdown corner too me in the draft. I wonder, even with the cap, why the Lions didnt do everything in their power to go get one of the many good corners on the wire this year. Lots of good LBs and DEs too, yet, they get NONE! I would of cut half the scrubs this team has for depth to free up room as many good depth players would be available soon enough after they rework Suhs deal.

Lions front office, what did you expect, a good off season? Please this is one of the most putrid front offices in an industry ever. Maybe a little hyperbole there, but not much.

Edit: Why are they not banging down the door of Cromartie right now? Again, money can always be finagled. Answer, because the Lions front office is the least creative I have ever seen and do not have a clue evaluating talent. If its not a no brainier pick like Stafford, Calvin or Suh, tell me how their judge of talent goes.
I don't think the Lions had any shot at Cromartie even if they wanted him. FA cornerbacks were also overpaid this year compared to last year. But seriously, guys like Talib, Revis or Cromartie probably never had the Lions on their short list. They all chose better teams/cities and got paid.

Not liking all the rumor mill stuff about Detroit trading up for a WR.

I don't see a huge drop between Watkins/Evans, if they move up I'm hoping it is for OL/DL.

What does it cost to move up from #10 to #2, or #5?

I'm not crazy about that rumor either. I'm hoping it's smokescreen, though I'm not sure what for. If they're going to trade out of their current spot I'd much rather they trade down and collect and extra pick or two. It sounds like there is gold to be mined in the middle rounds of this draft. They have enough holes and need for depth that they should be picking up extra picks, not giving them away. It's tantalizing to think about that offense with Watkins added in, but it's not like he's the missing piece between them and a Super Bowl. They might be in win now mode, but they're more than one player away.

8-8?

I actually think they can start out 6-2, maybe even 7-1 (I'm an eternal optimist).

If they do, fully expect them to get to 10-4, and lose the last two on the road to the Bears & Pack.

10-6 should get us in the back door for a first round WC loss on the road.

8-8?

I actually think they can start out 6-2, maybe even 7-1 (I'm an eternal optimist).

If they do, fully expect them to get to 10-4, and lose the last two on the road to the Bears & Pack.

At least the Atlanta game doesn't count as a home game. Interesting schedule with the AFC east being this years flavor.

8-8?

At least the Atlanta game doesn't count as a home game. Interesting schedule with the AFC east being this years flavor.
And the bye comes after London (probably always true, right?).

Not liking all the rumor mill stuff about Detroit trading up for a WR.

I don't see a huge drop between Watkins/Evans, if they move up I'm hoping it is for OL/DL.

What does it cost to move up from #10 to #2, or #5?
No way they take a WR, not with a monsterous need in the secondary.

8-8?

And the bye comes after London (probably always true, right?).
yes, both teams always have the same bye week.

8-8?

A lot of low scoring games he predicts there....

The team needs help in the defensive backfield, and they can address that by taking a CB in the draft. As for their record, I think they make the playoffs. The final six weeks will be tough, with NE and 4 division match ups waiting, but they have talent, and I think they finish 11-5 or 10-6.

The team needs help in the defensive backfield, and they can address that by taking a CB in the draft. As for their record, I think they make the playoffs. The final six weeks will be tough, with NE and 4 division match ups waiting, but they have talent, and I think they finish 11-5 or 10-6.
I think they are crazy if they go offense in the 1st round, a lot of defense positions need an upgrade. Last I checked their offense wasn't that bad, but later rounds they can take some flyers on offense. FG kicker could be taken in last couple rounds.

If you need CB and you've got the best CB since Patrick Peterson on the board, you take him.

Rumors surfaced today that the Lions are talking to Jacksonville about pick 3 so they can move up and get Watkins

It would be great from a FF perspective for Watkins. He'd see a lot of single coverage across from Calvin, would be mentored by one of the best WRs in the game, and if the Lions neglect the back end of their defense they may have to throw a bunch (again). Kind of a perfect scenario. If I was a Lions fan I would be upset though. If you stay put at 10 there are so many good DBs to choose from....

I think their reasoning for Watkins is that when Calvin goes out of the lineup the offense .... maybe doesn't "stall," exactly .... but something close. Tate should help alleviate some of that, but isn't the whole answer. It seems they think Watkins is. I still think they should stay put or trade down, but I'll understand if at 10 they take Beckham or Ebron instead of the one of the CBs. They've been almost obsessed with taking BPA since Mayhew took over so if they're sitting at 10 and they think it's one of those guys they'll do it. I'd be a lot happier with that than I would if they lost picks to go up and get Watkins. Still I think I'd rather they go D or OL there and grab a WR later. Tate makes the lack of depth there at the start of the offseason a little less urgent.

Any chance they make Suh the centerpiece of a deal to move up? Could they use him to get into the top 5 for Watkins and maybe keep the 10 and get the DT from Pitt to solidify the D line? I'm not on the Trade Suh bandwagon, but if you could get two for one like that you have to at least consider it, right?

I think they are crazy if they go offense in the 1st round, a lot of defense positions need an upgrade. Last I checked their offense wasn't that bad, but later rounds they can take some flyers on offense. FG kicker could be taken in last couple rounds.
They signed Tate, a receiver who still got plenty of yards in a run-first scheme in Seattle, so taking a receiver at 10 is a bit of a stretch. They need to focus on defense first, and as for a kicker, they actually have two on the roster, but I think they should have kept Kickalicious. He's pretty good, and was on the team last year in preseason.

trading up for a WR is such a lions move.
Martin Millen has already wasted 2 high picks on WRs Titus Young and Ryan Broyles and another on a RB in LeShoure.. The Lions have the best WR in the NFL in Calvin, they spent the most money in the NFL on a FA WR in Tate. So yes..now trade up and get another WR who will be #3. Only the Lions would even be considering a WR with all the other holes on the defense.

If they stay at #10 I'm seeing a lot of mocks predict LB Anthony Barr (UCLA). Would much rather they draft a DB. Dave Birkett:

NEW YORK — The Detroit Lions need help at cornerback, and they spent plenty of time the last few months studying their options at the position.

Of the cornerbacks most commonly thought of as first-round picks, the Lions brought in Justin Gilbert, Bradley Roby and Kyle Fuller for predraft visits and went to Michigan State for a private workout with Darqueze Dennard. General manager Martin Mayhew also traveled to Oklahoma State to see Gilbert in person at pro day.

All four of those cornerbacks could be available when the Lions are on the clock with the 10th overall pick tonight, though Gilbert could go as high as No. 8, to the Minnesota Vikings.

Gilbert has the elite size and athleticism teams covet in cornerbacks. Roby, in the eyes of some evaluators, is the most talented. Both ran sub 4.4-second 40-yard dashes at February’s NFL combine.

They signed Tate, a receiver who still got plenty of yards in a run-first scheme in Seattle, so taking a receiver at 10 is a bit of a stretch.
I don't disagree that they have other, more pressing needs, but I think Tate is overrated. He's a #3, IMO, so a Watkins/Evans would still be a significant upgrade. (And, boy would it make that offense fun to watch.)

The problem with a CB at 10 is the Lions are in win now mode and CBs usually take a few years to develop.

Here are the NFL draft prospects who either visited the Detroit Lions in Allen Park or held a private workout:

1. Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby, who visited April 25.
  2. Kent State running back Dri Archer visited April 25.
  3. Fresno State wide receiver Davante Adams visited the Lions, according to draftinsider.net, though the exact date was not known.
  4. Pittsburg State wide receiver John Brown visited April 16.
  5. Clemson wide receiver Martavis Bryant visited April 3.
  6. Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins visited April 8.
  7. Indiana wide receiver Cody Latimer visited April 11.
  8. Southern California wide receiver Marqise Lee visited April 17.
  9. North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron visited April 14.
  10. Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins visited April 15.
  11. Iowa tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz visited April 17.
  12. Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan visited April 1.
  13. USC center Marcus Martin visited April 21.
  14. Bloomsburg defensive end Larry Webster visited March 20.
  15. South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney visited April 16.
  16. Mississippi State defensive end Denico Autry visited April 17.
  17. Florida linebacker Ronald Powell visited the Lions, according to the National Football Post.
  18. BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy visited April 24.
  19. California linebacker Khairi Fortt visited in late April, according to pennlive.com.
  20. Boston College linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis visited, though the date is unknown.
  21. Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack visited April 22.
  22. Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert visited April 24.
  23. Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller visited April 14.
  24. Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix visited March 18.
  25. Washington State safety Deone Bucannon visited April 2.
  26. Boston College kicker Nate Freese visited April 15.
  27. Eastern Illinois wide receiver Erik Lora was scheduled to visit April 25.
  28. LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger held a private workout with the Lions, according to the NFL Network.
  29. Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray held a private workout with the Lions, according to Pro Football Talk.
  30. LSU wide receiver Kadron Boone held a private workout with the Lions, according to the National Football Post.
  31. LSU fullback J.C. Copeland held a private workout with the Lions, according to the National Football Post.
  32. Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton had a private workout with the Lions.
  33. Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard held a private workout with the Lions.
  34. Florida defensive back Jaylen Watkins held a private workout with the Lions.
  35. Maryland cornerback Dexter McDougle visited the Lions.
  36. Syracuse cornerback Keon Lynn held a private workout.
6 CB, 2 S, 1 DB, 8 WR, 3 TE, 1 T, 1 C, 1 K, 2 QBs, 3 DE, 5 LB, 2 DT, 1 FB

Overall, they took a one-on-one look at 11 WR/TE, 3 offensive backs, 2 o-lineman, 1 kicker, 9 DBs, 5 defensive lineman and 5 linebackers.

16 offensive players, 19 defensive, 1 kicker.

I don't even know how much visits matter. I could be misremembering, but I feel many recent picks have not visited.

I don't even know how much visits matter. I could be misremembering, but I feel many recent picks have not visited.
I think they count a lot for UDFA, and several some of those guys won't might not be drafted. There's a lot of scrambling in the days after the draft.

ETA: walking it back

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said that the team tweaked the way it approached the signing of undrafted players last year and praised senior personnel executive Brian Xanders and assistant director of college scouting Lance Newmark for their work on the “eighth round” this spring.

The Lions brought in a handful of players who project as late-round picks or priority free agents during the predraft process, much like they did with LaAdrian Waddle (8 starts at RT) last year.

Along with those players — Eastern Illinois receiver Erik Lora, William & Mary safety Jerome Couplin and Mississippi State defensive end Denico Autry among them — the Lions have shown interest in Northern Colorado quarterback Seth Lobato.

Is there any Lions fan who doesn't believe Xanders would be an obvious upgrade to Mayhew at GM? They're lucky they didn't lose him during the off-season.

I think they count a lot for UDFA, and several some of those guys won't might not be drafted. There's a lot of scrambling in the days after the draft.

ETA: walking it back
Yes, that's true, but I don't have any evidence to back it up. I just have felt like the desire to be sneaky and deceive is so high that guys often get invited just to give the illusion that there is interest.

This sucks! Less Fauria TD dances? C'mon, man!

Great athlete but rather take the T Lewan here if I'm the Lions.

From mLive last week:

When the Detroit Lions re-signed Brandon Pettigrew this offseason, it appeared to eliminate the possibility of the team using a high-round draft pick on a tight end. But it was reported last week that North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron believes the Lions will take him in the first round.

While it may seem far-fetched at first glance, given Detroit's other needs, remember the Lions have shown a willingness to draft a player at a perceived position of strength in the recent past. If Ebron is the highest rated player on the team's board when they're on the clock, they won't hesitate to select him.

Crunching some numbers and looking at the facts, the move might make more sense than you would think.

From 2010-12, Pettigrew and Tony Scheffler combined to average 178 targets in the passing game. Last season, Detroit's utilization of the tight end plummeted as Pettigrew's receiving production sharply declined, Scheffler was released early in the season and rookie Joseph Fauria was largely limited to red-zone and third-down packages.

In total, the Lions targeted a tight end just 111 times last year.

This season, the team will be installing a new offense that will be heavily influenced by what the Saints run in New Orleans. Obviously, the Saints have Jimmy Graham, an elite athlete at the position, but Ebron possesses some similar traits.

As for utilization, New Orleans deployed packages with multiple tight ends more than Detroit last season, but not by a glaring margin. The Saints ran 299 plays with two or more tight ends on the field to 248 for the Lions.

The bigger difference was in the balance of individual playing time. Pettigrew played a staggering 901 snaps in 14 games, rarely leaving the field when healthy. Graham played a far more manageable 754 in 16 contests, still managing 86 receptions for 1,215 yards and 16 touchdowns.

While a prideful player never wants to leave the field, the Lions must look to reduce Pettigrew's playing time for the sake of his body. He's been badly banged up each of the past two seasons.

Benjamin Watson played a shade under 500 snaps for the Saints in 2013, serving primarily in a blocking capacity. Fauria was the second option in Detroit, seeing the field 306 snaps.

In Detroit, Ebron would likely mirror Graham's role, with the rookie seeing more time in the slot, running routes, as opposed to blocking inline.

Given the Lions' search for a third wide receiver, it's not a stretch to say Ebron could essentially fill that need. As a rookie, he would see a comparable amount of playing time as a high-profile receiving prospect, such as Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans, would in Detroit.

Selecting Ebron would also allow free agent acquisition Golden Tate to spend more time on the outside, where he's had his most success as a professional.

Ebron would also be a matchup problem, too big and strong for defensive backs and too fast for linebackers.

"He's a talent," ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said when asked about Detroit potentially drafting Ebron. "He's got a tremendous opportunity in the league right now the way those four and five receivers are used to create some major matchup advantages in coverage and be a key factor for a pass offense."

What Detroit actually does with the 10th pick, or even if the team stays at that slot, remains a mystery. But Ebron isn't off the table, especially if Watkins and Evans are off the board.

So now with Ebron, they have two TE's that are super awesome at dropping passes. Not happy about this pick.

From mLive last week:

When the Detroit Lions re-signed Brandon Pettigrew this offseason, it appeared to eliminate the possibility of the team using a high-round draft pick on a tight end. But it was reported last week that North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron believes the Lions will take him in the first round.

While it may seem far-fetched at first glance, given Detroit's other needs, remember the Lions have shown a willingness to draft a player at a perceived position of strength in the recent past. If Ebron is the highest rated player on the team's board when they're on the clock, they won't hesitate to select him.

Crunching some numbers and looking at the facts, the move might make more sense than you would think.

From 2010-12, Pettigrew and Tony Scheffler combined to average 178 targets in the passing game. Last season, Detroit's utilization of the tight end plummeted as Pettigrew's receiving production sharply declined, Scheffler was released early in the season and rookie Joseph Fauria was largely limited to red-zone and third-down packages.

In total, the Lions targeted a tight end just 111 times last year.

This season, the team will be installing a new offense that will be heavily influenced by what the Saints run in New Orleans. Obviously, the Saints have Jimmy Graham, an elite athlete at the position, but Ebron possesses some similar traits.

As for utilization, New Orleans deployed packages with multiple tight ends more than Detroit last season, but not by a glaring margin. The Saints ran 299 plays with two or more tight ends on the field to 248 for the Lions.

The bigger difference was in the balance of individual playing time. Pettigrew played a staggering 901 snaps in 14 games, rarely leaving the field when healthy. Graham played a far more manageable 754 in 16 contests, still managing 86 receptions for 1,215 yards and 16 touchdowns.

While a prideful player never wants to leave the field, the Lions must look to reduce Pettigrew's playing time for the sake of his body. He's been badly banged up each of the past two seasons.

Benjamin Watson played a shade under 500 snaps for the Saints in 2013, serving primarily in a blocking capacity. Fauria was the second option in Detroit, seeing the field 306 snaps.

In Detroit, Ebron would likely mirror Graham's role, with the rookie seeing more time in the slot, running routes, as opposed to blocking inline.

Given the Lions' search for a third wide receiver, it's not a stretch to say Ebron could essentially fill that need. As a rookie, he would see a comparable amount of playing time as a high-profile receiving prospect, such as Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans, would in Detroit.

Selecting Ebron would also allow free agent acquisition Golden Tate to spend more time on the outside, where he's had his most success as a professional.

Ebron would also be a matchup problem, too big and strong for defensive backs and too fast for linebackers.

"He's a talent," ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said when asked about Detroit potentially drafting Ebron. "He's got a tremendous opportunity in the league right now the way those four and five receivers are used to create some major matchup advantages in coverage and be a key factor for a pass offense."

What Detroit actually does with the 10th pick, or even if the team stays at that slot, remains a mystery. But Ebron isn't off the table, especially if Watkins and Evans are off the board.
If that is the case the Lions could have signed a blocking dummy at TE for pennies. Instead they give Pettigrew 16 million. If they had any intention of drafting Ebron they should have let Pettigrew walk.

Users who are viewing this thread