What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (39 Viewers)

Defense is their biggest need, but I don't like reaching for any of them at 7.  At 7 we should be taking a difference maker and this year that is on the offensive side in our pick range.  If they can trade down and get more picks that would obviously be the best scenario.

Is there an OL worth taking at #7?  I also want defense first, but OL is important also.
Lots of solid starting O lineman come in rounds 3/4/5 (Jonah Jackson’s, Glasgow, T Swanson, Warford were all thirds. Found a couple solid backups in the 5th. We have enough OL talent I think that has to be behind LBs & DL. Debatable how to prioritize WR/QB/Nickel and right side OL.

https://www.pff.com

Pro Football Focus did a 2 round mock draft, here are their picks for the Lions.

7. DETROIT LIONS: LB MICAH PARSONS, PENN STATE

Detroit’s defense was brutal across the board in 2020, and adding Parsons — the best off-ball linebacker prospect since Luke Kuechly — would certainly help the team get that side of the ball out of the liability tier.

Parsons opted out of the 2020 season and didn’t play a down all year, but he was the highest-graded player at the position (91.6) the year prior. He shined in nearly every facet with a 94.8 run-defense grade, 26 pressures on 94 rushes and just six missed tackles on 111 attempts. The only knock is the subpar ball production (four pass breakups in two years), but the combination of power, explosiveness and overall athleticism for a human his size, along with the standout tackling, blitzing prowess and instinctual play, makes him a rare prospect.

41. DETROIT LIONS: S AR’DARIUS WASHINGTON, TCU

Detroit needs more playmakers in its secondary, and that’s precisely what Washington will provide. Look past his 5-foot-8 stature; there isn’t a more instinctual safety in this entire class than him. Washington also possesses elite change-of-direction ability and strength that is almost hard to believe.

Weighing in at under 180 pounds, he can still bench 370 pounds and squat 640 pounds. That landed him on Bruce Feldman’s “Freaks” list last summer. With the help of his many top-notch traits, Washington generated a top-three coverage grade among FBS safeties in each of the past two years.

PFF also did a list of best FA fit for each team.

DETROIT LIONS: S ANTHONY HARRIS

2020 team: Vikings | Age entering 2021 season: 29

The Lions had massive trouble defending the deep parts of the field, and they especially struggled over the deep middle. Anthony Harris can come in and change that quickly.

There is some scheme carryover between Mike Zimmer in Minnesota and what Aaron Glenn could bring to Detroit. Harris had the third-highest grade among safeties in 2018 before taking the top spot in 2019 and falling to 38th this past season. Still, there's a lot of upside here; the safety has forced an incompletion on 25.9% of his targets since 2018, first among the 76 safeties who have seen at least 50 targets over that span.

The Lions had massive trouble defending the deep parts of the field, and they especially struggled over the deep middle. Anthony Harris can come in and change that quickly.

There is some scheme carryover between Mike Zimmer in Minnesota and what Aaron Glenn could bring to Detroit. Harris had the third-highest grade among safeties in 2018 before taking the top spot in 2019 and falling to 38th this past season. Still, there's a lot of upside here; the safety has forced an incompletion on 25.9% of his targets since 2018, first among the 76 safeties who have seen at least 50 targets over that span.
Would be a terrific addition but we're gonna need some cap space so IDK - that's the kind of signing that negate bringing KG back. This ain't like other North American team sports, it's a hard cap that you cannot exceed.

But Harris is a great example of player development under a competent regime. UDFA, mostly practice squad yr 1, great special teamer his first three years, and an integral part of their defense the last 2.5 years. Not a household name but considered an elite safety the last two years by folks who take a deeper dive on that stuff.

That's the kind of success stories we need to see in Detroit. Yeah, it's great when you hit it out of the park with your 1st/2nd rounders. But finding a starting lineman in the the 4th/5th round, picking up cheap contributors through aggressive UDFA signings and then coaching them up - those are the things that really make a difference when you hit November and injuries start piling up.

Lions would do well to go hard after John Johnson, S, Rams. He was PFF #3 overall safety in 2020 and is a total stud box safety with 4th best coverage skills in 2020. 26 years old.

He could be a pillar of Lions defense for the next five years.

Rams may still franchise him...but doubtful given their salary cap situation and the fact they already have S Rapp and Fuller. 

The #Lions are restructuring LB Jamie Collins’ contract to create salary cap space, source says. He’s on the books for $9 million in total cash for this upcoming season. He gets that. Voidable years added. His cap number of $11.3 million will be lowered significantly.
Freeing up money for KG/Okawara. Keep doing this.

Read that they are trying to trade Chase Daniel. If they can get anything for Daniel and at the same time get from under the contract, I will be a very happy camper and increase my appreciation for Brad Holmes. 

Read that they are trying to trade Chase Daniel. If they can get anything for Daniel and at the same time get from under the contract, I will be a very happy camper and increase my appreciation for Brad Holmes. 
Yet another horrible Quinn deal that the new guy is forced to try to fix. Hopefully Holmes can pull it off and open a spot in case they draft a QB. 

Lions not going to tag or sign Kenny Galladay and he is now an UFA.   Reports said Galladay turned down 18 million a year from previous regime.   This is a good move.  Lions do not need a high priced WR during a rebuild.
Agree, he's super talented but his injury history scares me a bit and is he really going to move the needle that significantly in the next couple of years.  Take the comp pick and call it a day.

Lions not going to tag or sign Kenny Galladay and he is now an UFA.   Reports said Galladay turned down 18 million a year from previous regime.   This is a good move.  Lions do not need a high priced WR during a rebuild.
Last year's WR class was historic. 2nd round WRs included, Pittman, Claypool, Higgins, Shenault, Mims. Golladay was drafted in the 3rd. Maybe the Lions get lucky again with a WR in the draft.

per S.I.

"If he was brought back on the tag, he would account for nearly nine percent of Detroit's total salary cap for 2021. 

Now, if the 2017 third-round pick decides to walk in free agency, the organization will receive a compensatory, late third-round pick in next year's draft. 

If the 27-year-old wideout is truly seeking $18-$19M a year as part of a long-term extension, the Lions might be better off deciding not to tag him. Remember, he did suit up in just five games a year ago due to injury. 

Additionally and most importantly, Detroit's front office has bigger areas of need than at receiver -- specifically on the defensive side of the ball -- to allocate its resources toward this offseason."

Last edited by a moderator:
No tag on Okwara either. Lions starting from scratch with the belief that they can spend money wisely and get more value than previous mgt. 

No tag on Okwara either. Lions starting from scratch with the belief that they can spend money wisely and get more value than previous mgt. 
Okwara`s tag would have been 16-17 million. from what i heard on The Ticket..they said he would never get that on the open market as he is not a top 10-12 DE.  Okwara improved last year but he is not a top tier DE.  that being said I hope they can resign him for a lower price.

Da Guru said:
This gives me hope that there is a change in the regime. Good choice Lion’s, now let’s continue to stack good decisions.  

This gives me hope that there is a change in the regime. Good choice Lion’s, now let’s continue to stack good decisions.  
Agree- tag and trade simply doesn’t happen, he’ll be on the wrong side of 30 when these draft picks come to fruition. Take the comp and stay away from regrettable contracts.

Another factor is that losing two of your most productive players shortly after losing the cornerstone of the franchise isn't going to hurt your draft position over the next couple of years. Seems like lots of tearing down - I'm sure for Lions fans who have been through way more than their share - but cap stability and pulling through a full fledged re-build is the sanest and quickest way to respectability and, dare say, being a competitive organization.

No telling yet whether these are the coach, GM and generation of ownership to make that happen, but it seems a difficult but good start.

would it be surprising to see KG on the Rams next year with Stafford throwing the jump balls down the field?  No idea about their cap situation but I'm not sure he'd be as good a fit with Goff.  Talented guy nobody can be sure how much of his 2020 season was just related to his contract situation.  Wish him the best of luck, I'm sure we'd be better in 2021 with him as our WR1 cause that sure isn't Ty Williams I hope.  Bring MJ3 back for the right price?  I'm surprised Robinson got franchised, I thought he would have been a good target.

would it be surprising to see KG on the Rams next year with Stafford throwing the jump balls down the field?  No idea about their cap situation but I'm not sure he'd be as good a fit with Goff.  Talented guy nobody can be sure how much of his 2020 season was just related to his contract situation.  Wish him the best of luck, I'm sure we'd be better in 2021 with him as our WR1 cause that sure isn't Ty Williams I hope.  Bring MJ3 back for the right price?  I'm surprised Robinson got franchised, I thought he would have been a good target.
Rams are 33 million over cap right now and need to start cutting and restructuring deals before the draft.    Rams are in good shape at WR without him.

kyle meinke @kmeinke16h

The NFL has handed out 165 comp picks over the last five years. The Lions have received none of them.
Thanks, Bob.

I guess we did trade away a few soon to be FAs (Tate, Slay) that would have generated compensatory picks, but when you are lousy at drafting and have to sign FAs to plug the holes, no comps for you!! Also, still can't get over letting Glasgow walk (when he wanted to stay) then signing Vaitai for the same amount the Broncos gave their new starter.

Hearing competent moves being made this offseason has been pleasant.

It keeps reminding me how bad Quinn/Patricia were. I strongly feel that combo was the worst in Lions history. Worse than any Millen/Coach combo. At least Millen was a lively buffoon. Quinn/Patricia were bloodless, incoherent zombies hated by players and fans equally. Nothing about them was good or fun or interesting. Just pure suckage. 

I feel a little better now. 

Golladay being 28 when the season starts and Detroit being 3 years from competing lead to not franchising golladay.
You don't think they could have traded Golladay? How is taking on Goff's contract which is higher and potentially has more years tied into when he's likely not the long term answer any better?

I also don't you need 3 years to rebuild in the modern NFL especially in a division with one elite QB who is quite old.

You don't think they could have traded Golladay? How is taking on Goff's contract which is higher and potentially has more years tied into when he's likely not the long term answer any better?

I also don't you need 3 years to rebuild in the modern NFL especially in a division with one elite QB who is quite old.
1. Tag and trade is pretty rare. Gets talked about a lot during the off-season, but rarely happens. 
2. Lions are and have been saddled with a poor cap situation for years. Taking on goffs contract for picks and dealing with the ramifications for a year (with a reasonable out next year) will put us in a better position down the road. 
3. That one elite old qb is still elite, but 3 years from now is a different story. 

One other point: it’s also possible that the trade offers coming in, if there were any, would be less than the (likely?) 3rd rd comp pick the lions will get for him.

1. Tag and trade is pretty rare. Gets talked about a lot during the off-season, but rarely happens. 
2. Lions are and have been saddled with a poor cap situation for years. Taking on goffs contract for picks and dealing with the ramifications for a year (with a reasonable out next year) will put us in a better position down the road. 
3. That one elite old qb is still elite, but 3 years from now is a different story. 
1. Did not say he had to be traded now, just between now and the trade deadline.

2. They got a better from Carolina IMO without need to take on Goff's deal.

3. I will continue to say the division is weak and 3 year rebuilds are at least one year to many then should be the initial plan. I don't have time now but could point out so many teams that transformed themselves in two years.

1. Did not say he had to be traded now, just between now and the trade deadline.

3. I will continue to say the division is weak and 3 year rebuilds are at least one year to many then should be the initial plan. I don't have time now but could point out so many teams that transformed themselves in two years.
They’ll likely get a guaranteed 3 or 4 for a compensatory pick; there’s no guarantee you’ll get better than that at the deadline. 

One first this year vs 2 firsts over the next 2 years....we’ll see where the picks end up I guess. Your opinion they got a better offer but it’s not like they got a bad deal. 

Yes there’s usually a team that goes worst to first in their division. There have been some quick turnarounds. I think the lions strategy makes sense here- take a year to get your cap in order, stockpile future picks. If they wanted to win now or have a quick turnaround they would have kept Stafford. 

BTW, the last time the lions won the division was 1993. The last time they won a championship was 1957.  I'm not going to panic if they don't instantly turn into a contender. It's not like they were left with all kinds of young talent.

1. Would he bring back more than a 3rd round pick?  Maybe, if he's playing really well, but he has a bit of an injury history. What if he gets injured again, or just isn't meshing well with Goff?  That money can be be better spent.

2. The pick was certainly higher, but Goff has more potential still than Bridgewater imo.  Even if you don't think Goff is a great QB, he's at least a good QB and having a good QB just means the Lions have more options.  So not only did they get a bunch of picks, they got the ability not to "have" to use a pick immediately on another QB.  They need to capitalize on the flexibility they've given themselves though.

3. Green Bay is an elite team.  Minnesota is a very good team.  Chicago is trash.  So sure it is weaker than the NFC West, but better than the NFC East, and NFC South (With Drew Brees likely retiring).  Clawing their way to a Wild Card berth to sit there in mediocrity isn't a great plan either.

They were also trying to accommodate Stafford's wishes, in regards to where he was traded.  Considering this teams recent history when it comes to relationships with it's stars after they leave/retire, that was probably a good call.  Stafford had certainly earned it.

While I'm skeptical at best about Goff's ability to become a franchise QB, I will concede that there is a non zero chance that comes to be.  I think it was worth the gamble to eat the contract, and see if they can turn him around, all while they tear the roster down.  

Even had they made the Carolina deal, I think paying Golladay would have been a bad move.  It was best to let him walk regardless, considering where they are and what they need to do.

Razors Edge said:
LOL, watching this type of positivity makes me just bang my head on the wall.

SAY IT WITH ME...

THE LIONS WILL NEVER EVER EVER BE A COMPETETIVE ORGANZIATION. 

It seems historical fact isnt enough, it seems it has to be shouted.

Oh wait....Lions fans have hope again. Hope dont win games, good players do. 
Thanks. We weren't aware of the history. Guess we can all stop following the team now. 

Razors Edge said:
LOL, watching this type of positivity makes me just bang my head on the wall.

SAY IT WITH ME...

THE LIONS WILL NEVER EVER EVER BE A COMPETETIVE ORGANZIATION. 

It seems historical fact isnt enough, it seems it has to be shouted.

Oh wait....Lions fans have hope again. Hope dont win games, good players do. 
Trying to take my hope away from me, you are a scoundrel.

Why would you bother to even post here if you see us as no threat.

I sense fear on your part.

Trey Lance is making #7 a better and better trade 
Unfortunately he seems to be moving up draft boards. Would be great if he lasts and Carolina and Denver try to climb over each other to get him. Hell I wouldnt mind taking him. Dude runs like a tank and would be fun as hell to watch. 

Unfortunately he seems to be moving up draft boards. Would be great if he lasts and Carolina and Denver try to climb over each other to get him. Hell I wouldnt mind taking him. Dude runs like a tank and would be fun as hell to watch. 
I wouldn't be terribly unhappy if they took him, but I unless they are in love with him 1.7 is a great spot to be in as people will want to leapfrog Carolina if they can.

Only playing one year as starter and with lesser competition creates some doubt. Also I scanned some article today that said he wasn't very good in contested throw situations. But if Holmes thinks he's the guy to replace Stafford you need to roll with it. 

We couldn't win with a good QB in Stafford approach may be better to build around a decent QB.

Hope is that they get more draft choices through multiple trade downs.

Harris didnt play as well last season and I am not really sure why.

He is a ball hawk though and he can fool QBs at times. He is always playing the ball which is refreshing to me as I think Zimmer coaches DBs to play their man more than the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread