Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

DETROIT LIONS 2020: Lions hire Brad Holmes as new GM...WHO???

2 hours ago, Mt. Man said:

From NFL.com (via Ian Rapoport)

Definitely a cheap enough price. Mildly surprised that the Lions are buyers.

I'm surprised there aren't more trades like this by coaches/GM that have one foot out the door. Expanded playoffs this year makes it more possible they keep their jobs. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m usually not one to get caught up in “celebrity” lives, but as a parent my ♥️ goes out to Matthew & Kelly. Her six hour brain surgery morphed into a twelve hour procedure, but she’s walking and

Has Jim Caldwell under or over achieved? Well, let's look at the body of work. 2014 First off, let's recognize how sorry the history of this franchise has been. 11-5 might be a ho hum season

I hate being a fan of this team, I hate being a fan of this team, I hate being a fan of this team.

2 hours ago, Mt. Man said:

Really not suprised as Quinn and Patricia are fighting for their jobs.  They are not concerned about the long term.

21 hours ago, whoknew said:

Good trade, right?

Hes worth a 5th round pick which is I believe the most the Lions will have to give up for him.

I think the Vikings wanted to keep him and they would be better on defense, not needed to trade for Ngakwe and waste much higher draft picks than this.

But they lowball offered Griffen the whole way because they wanted to over spend on guys like Rudolph and Barr instead.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, Da Guru said:
On 10/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, Mt. Man said:

Really not suprised as Quinn and Patricia are fighting for their jobs.  They are not concerned about the long term.

Been gone for a week, thought for sure when I got back we'd be discussing the team's 17.5%  allotment of tickets for Super Bowl LV.

• Laughing 1
7 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Been gone for a week, thought for sure when I got back we'd be discussing the team's 17.5%  allotment of tickets for Super Bowl LV.

If they can beat Ole Man Rivers today get your order in!

1 hour ago, Moonlight said:

Colts OL and DL outplayed Lions. End of story.

Colts got 5-6 yards a carry 5-6 plays in a row right up the middle on the last drive. Seen in in HS and college but Have not seen a NFL team pushed back off the ball like that so many plays in a row.

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Colts got 5-6 yards a carry 5-6 plays in a row right up the middle on the last drive. Seen in in HS and college but Have not seen a NFL team pushed back off the ball like that so many plays in a row.

yeah game was over but that was a pitiful display

no heart, they don't want to play for this #######

William Clay Ford Sr

334-457-15 in 53 years as Chief Executive (last 50 as sole owner; minority partner 1961-63)

Martha Firestone Ford

45-50-1 in 6 years as Chief Executive

Sheila Ford Hamp

3-5- in 0.5 years as Chief Executive

1-12 in the playoffs

discounting the 24-16-2 when WCF was the minority owner and the 17-21-4 they went in the first 3 years he was owner, the overall record is 352-486-10 in my Lions fantime.

.421 winning percentage

496 times they have disappointed me

and I still root harder for them anyone around

There is something seriously wrong with me.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

William Clay Ford Sr

334-457-15 in 53 years as Chief Executive (last 50 as sole owner; minority partner 1961-63)

Martha Firestone Ford

45-50-1 in 6 years as Chief Executive

Sheila Ford Hamp

3-5- in 0.5 years as Chief Executive

1-12 in the playoffs

discounting the 24-16-2 when WCF was the minority owner and the 17-21-4 they went in the first 3 years he was owner, the overall record is 352-486-10 in my Lions fantime.

.421 winning percentage

496 times they have disappointed me

and I still root harder for them anyone around

There is something seriously wrong with me.

I was actually excited for the game yesterday. got up at 7am. worked out, walked the dog, raked leaves all in the AM.  Took a shower and settled in to watch the game.  When it was 7-7 and the Lions sacked Rivers on 3rd down to take them out of FG range I jumped up out of my chair..then I see FLAG.  15 yards roughness penalty and a first down.  2-3 plays later Colts score and I knew the game was going south.

Stafford even though he had passing yards never looked comfortable and threw some bad passes for a 12 year vet including the pick 6. Not sure what he saw there.  Running game again was non existent. They draft RBs, sign old RBs and draft O-Lineman every year but things never change.

Say what you want about Rivers.  Rivers is old, Rivers is slow, Rivers has a weak arm.  One thing about Rivers he knows how to manage and run a game and where to put the ball.  If he had Stafford`s arm and physical ability he probably would have been an all time great.

Mike Zimmer always seemed like a good guy and a good coach. His life is football, especially after he lost his wife. Seems Minnesota nice, right?

Which makes this story really odd. But high performing athletes are really good at finding ways to light a fire inside themselves, so I guess Everson Griffin needed some fuel to get himself fired up for his first game as a Detroit Lion.

ALLEN PARK -- Everson Griffen will make his Detroit Lions debut on Sunday against, of all teams, the Minnesota Vikings. You know, the team for which he starred during the first decade of his career. 

And to say he’s motivated to face his old team, well, that might be something of an understatement.

Because he sounds mad as hell at the coach. 

“They gon' put some respect on my name,” Griffen said. "He gon' put respect on my name, that’s all I’m saying. ... I got something coming for him on Sunday.”

Griffen was speaking with reporters for the first time since Detroit acquired him in a trade with Dallas last week. Due to COVID onboarding protocols, he could not join the team until this week. Then he saw Zimmer call him “a good player” in the Star Tribune, and, well, let’s just let him take it from here.

“I got a little frustrated when I read that comment, what Zimmer said about, ‘Oh, Everson was a good player,’" Griffen said. “Like, Coach Zimmer wasn’t just a good coach, he was a great coach to me. So for him to call me a good player, that kind of hurt my feelings. So on Sunday, I’m really looking forward to playing the Vikings and showing them that I am a great player.”

No kidding. The comment -- “Everson was a good player for us, so wish him well, just not this week” -- seems innocent enough. Zimmer almost certainly didn’t mean it as any kind of slight. But try telling that to Griffen, who had four Pro Bowl seasons, one All-Pro nod, 74.5 sacks and 176 quarterback hits in 10 seasons with the club before departing last offseason.

Griffen was so offended by the quote that he referenced it 11 different times in his 10-minute chat, even when the question was about something else entirely. 

Asked whether he was fired up to see old teammates, Griffen said: “I miss guys. I miss Harrison, I miss Anthony, I miss EK, I miss Zimmer. So when Zimmer said that about that -- I’m a good player -- all right, we gon' see who a good player is on Sunday. All right? That’s what I got for him.'”

Asked whether he had found new teammates in Detroit who would help him with his multi-person sack dances, Griffen said: “I’m just fortunate to be around a good group of guys that took me in, and they respect me, and I just want to play hard for them. That’s what it’s about. It’s about the guy across from me doing their job, and me doing my job together to win. That’s what I’m here for. I’m not here to play no games. I’m not here to talk no mess about nobody. I’m not here to call nobody no good players. I’m here to win and execute my assignment. That’s what they’re going to get for 60 minutes, and we gon' see who is a good player at the end, and who’s going to be a great player at the end, ‘cause the tape not gon’ lie."

So safe to say, at 32 years old, you think you’re still a great player?

“Like, he wasn’t just a good coach to me," Griffen said. "He was a great coach. He helped me improve, he helped me grow. I don’t ever talk bad about people, so for him to call me a good player, all right, I got something coming for him on Sunday.”

Griffen should get plenty of opportunities to tee off on Sunday. The Lions' pass rush hasn’t been very good this season, ranking 27th in sacks (10), 25th in sack rate (3.91%), and 26th in pass-rush win rate (37%). Now they’ve placed defensive end Trey Flowers and edge Julian Okwara on injured reserve, further depleting the attack.

Griffen, meantime, is a four-time Pro Bowler who has racked up 77 sacks and 181 quarterback hits since 2011. Both figures rank sixth among all defensive ends in the league. Simply put, he was one of the most-feared and most-productive pass rushers during his 10-year reign in Minnesota. 

Nobody knows that better than Detroit, which Griffen has victimized for more sacks -- 16 -- than anyone else in the league. He was especially tough in a 2018 game where he sacked Matthew Stafford 1.5 times and hit him three times overall. That led a Vikings pass rush that hit Stafford an astounding 17 times that day, and sacked him 10 times. That set a Minnesota record for sacks in a game, and a Detroit record for sacks allowed in a game. 

Now Griffen is so upset, he says he wants to do the same thing to his old team.

“Let us set the sack record against the Vikings," he said. “Because I’m just a good player? Right? All right.”

All right, Everson. And good luck to whoever has to line up across from him on Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium.

“(Zimmer’s) got a good player coming for him.”

18 hours ago, Moonlight said:

Please change the title from Colts destroy Lions to Vikings destroy Lions.

Done..  After every loss Patricia says "Give whoever credit they played a good game" 

The game was a disaster.  On Cooks long TD run Lions only had 10 players on the field.  On another play they only had 10 players on the field. 

2 blocked punts and the Vikings not trying to score late and it could have been 41-14.   

Stafford again making boneheaded decisons in the red zone.   I have come to realize Stafford is just a middle of the pack type of QB, a guy who can look great one week and just as bad the next week.  In his 12th season now and still makes stupid mistakes week after week.

Now that Prater is missing FGs the best player on the Lions is the punter.

Edited by Da Guru
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Well, Lions looking at 6-10.

Next week is a huge game. If they can win that and (obviously) the T'giving Day game v the Texans - they will be 6-5. Split the next four (at CHI, v GB, at TN, v TB) and they are 8-7 with home game versus the Vikings.

9-7 in the playoffs. SUPER BOWL, BABY!

37 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Next week is a huge game. If they can win that and (obviously) the T'giving Day game v the Texans - they will be 6-5. Split the next four (at CHI, v GB, at TN, v TB) and they are 8-7 with home game versus the Vikings.

9-7 in the playoffs. SUPER BOWL, BABY!

Anything is possible, but if I were a betting man I think i would go the other way.

"I'm so over it," Kelly Stafford said in a string of Instagram videos earlier on Thursday. "I'm so over living in a dictatorship that we call Michigan. I understand there's a pandemic, and I understand it's very scary.  If you feel you are at risk, then do not leave your house until there's a vaccine.

"But, shutting down all these small businesses, things that people have worked their life for, shutting them down again is not the answer, because they will not make it, so once we are able to leave our house, once this dictatorship decides to let us have some freedom, there will be nothing left. I'm just over it. 

This is the shack they were quarentined in last spring. It is for sale now.

Edited by Da Guru
7 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

"I'm so over it," Kelly Stafford said in a string of Instagram videos earlier on Thursday. "I'm so over living in a dictatorship that we call Michigan. I understand there's a pandemic, and I understand it's very scary.  If you feel you are at risk, then do not leave your house until there's a vaccine.

"But, shutting down all these small businesses, things that people have worked their life for, shutting them down again is not the answer, because they will not make it, so once we are able to leave our house, once this dictatorship decides to let us have some freedom, there will be nothing left. I'm just over it. 

The amount of entitled stupidity that spills forth from people regarding the pandemic almost makes it seem like they've never had a life-threatening illness or condition...

Oh, wait.

I think that makes it even more inexcusable.

• Thanks 1

Jesus. The more I think about it the more I realize how entitled and stupid she is. I wonder if she's ever heard of the KGB. Or the Gestapo. Or the Stasi. Like, you know, a real dictatorship that had files and notes on everybody just because they could. And that would use it to their advantage over your life. Politically. Personally. You name it.

8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Jesus. The more I think about it the more I realize how entitled and stupid she is. I wonder if she's ever heard of the KGB. Or the Gestapo. Or the Stasi. Like, you know, a real dictatorship that had files and notes on everybody just because they could. And that would use it to their advantage over your life. Politically. Personally. You name it.

Kelly Stafford has a history of ignorant tweets and Instagram posts.

2 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Ah, okay. Not so surprising in today's day and age. Perhaps we can arrange for her to take a really nice civics and comparative government class, divided into a half of a year apiece for each section. 

God knows I had to sit through it. Can't imagine that someone with a mouth that big and a platform that big could be so small and ignorant.  

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Ah, okay. Not so surprising in today's day and age. Perhaps we can arrange for her to take a really nice civics and comparative government class, divided into a half of a year apiece for each section. 

God knows I had to sit through it. Can't imagine that someone with a mouth that big and a platform that big could be so small and ignorant.  

Every few months, Kelly Stafford finds herself in the news after popping off on social media. A few years back, she called out and argued with Lions fans for booing the team during a home game. That didn’t end well for her.

Not too long after that, Kelly disappeared from Twitter for awhile. But she still occasionally runs into trouble on Instagram. 2 years ago Kelly posted about selling her Monday Night Football tickets in New Orleans for a big profit. Matt Stafford makes over 25 million a year. Now, to be clear, she has every right to sell her tickets, regardless of how she obtained them. But posting them on Instagram was a bit odd. It was as if she was using her stature as the wife of an NFL quarterback for profit. She could have sold them anonymously on StubHub and no one would have been the wiser.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Every few months, Kelly Stafford finds herself in the news after popping off on social media. A few years back, she called out and argued with Lions fans for booing the team during a home game. That didn’t end well for her.

Not too long after that, Kelly disappeared from Twitter for awhile. But she still occasionally runs into trouble on Instagram. 2 years ago Kelly posted about selling her Monday Night Football tickets in New Orleans for a big profit. Matt Stafford makes over 25 million a year. Now, to be clear, she has every right to sell her tickets, regardless of how she obtained them. But posting them on Instagram was a bit odd. It was as if she was using her stature as the wife of an NFL quarterback for profit. She could have sold them anonymously on StubHub and no one would have been the wiser.

Wow. You kind of have to wonder. I guess the psychology of having a very, extraordinarily wealthy spouse while you're just along for the ride in that respect must be tough on one's psyche, but jeez. C'mon, Kelly.  

Edited by rockaction
On 11/20/2020 at 10:13 AM, Da Guru said:

What is her answer for the pandemic? You have to stop the spread of the infection until their is vaccination.

Small business owners are being hit, there was government aid available previously. I do not know enough how it worked. We do need additional stimulus to help those who have lost their job or their business. But Congress is more concerned about political power and so is our leader, the current President.

But who is going to pay for those who become infected and the long haulers who have continual medical issues.

7 hours ago, Moonlight said:

What is her answer for the pandemic? You have to stop the spread of the infection until their is vaccination.

Small business owners are being hit, there was government aid available previously. I do not know enough how it worked. We do need additional stimulus to help those who have lost their job or their business. But Congress is more concerned about political power and so is our leader, the current President.

But who is going to pay for those who become infected and the long haulers who have continual medical issues.

SHE SAID WHAT? I did not see this.

She has to get her hair and nails did. Staffords have got to go. I have no time in my life for bad QBs wives to insult a good Gov.

If her husband was a good football player, ok...but he has been exposed for being an average QB at best with no one talent that sets him ahead of the rest.

It complicates things when people deny science, yet think their opinion on anything else should be considered. So when a QB denies the science (And you know he does cuz his wife does, and felt she was embolden to say that out loud), it explains why he isnt really good at other things like being a QB in the NFL. I dont deny science, and Im really good at my job. There is a relation between understanding science and knowing other stuff. Its almost as if someone who denies the urgency of this virus can show a direct correlation with intelligence. 

I live in a world of reality, a reality where common sense from doctors and scientists know more. Just simple as that.

Moral of the story: If she denies the doctors and scientists advice, why did she believe the when they helped her through her cancer?  Yup, I went there and needs to be asked. The audacity of a survivor with her elitist attitude is disgusting.

Edited by Razors Edge
On 11/20/2020 at 9:33 AM, Da Guru said:

On 11/20/2020 at 9:24 AM, rockaction said:

In the past year or so, she has had brain surgery, had a baby, had to deal with people thinking her husband had COVID (2x), had to rush a child to the hospital after she fell off a chair onto her head, and now has friends losing their restaurants because of this. Plus, just normal COVID. 

The Staffords do a ton for the community - both in MI and in Georgia. They seem like very good, giving people.

Because of that, I am going to cut her some slack on this one. She said something stupid and then apologized. Who hasn't?

Edited by whoknew
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, whoknew said:

In the past year or so, she has had brain surgery, had a baby, had to deal with people thinking her husband had COVID (2x), had to rush a child to the hospital after she fell off a chair onto her head, and now has friends losing their restaurants because of this. Plus, just normal COVID. 

The Staffords do a ton for the community - both in MI and in Georgia. They seem like very good, giving people.

Because of that, I am going to cut her some slack on this one. She said something stupid and then apologized. Who hasn't?

You would think a person who went through all that health stuff wouldnt deny science and doctors advice.

I wont cut her slack, you can, it appears you think she is "entitled" to some slack. 😉

You can talk about how they seem, we can read her tweets to know how she is. 

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You would think a person who went through all that health stuff wouldnt deny science and doctors advice.

I wont cut her slack, you can, it appears you think she is "entitled" to some slack. 😉

You can talk about how they seem, we can read her tweets to know how she is. 

Ok

On 11/15/2020 at 6:40 PM, Da Guru said:

Well, Lions looking at 6-10.

No way. Where do you see two wins on their remaining schedule? Absent naming an interim. They don’t want to play for this guy.

Panthers came in having lost 5 straight, fresh off giving up 46 points. They had forced two punts (2!) total in the previous four games, opponents were averaging 493.5 yards per game. Lions put up 185 yards (about 1/3rd in garbage time) and their first 8 possessions were 6 punts, a fumble and a merciful kneel down at the end of the first half. On the year they were giving up 4.8 yards per rush attempt; Peterson gained a game high 4 on his first carry and that was the highlight.

If you want to feel really sick rewatch the game. Carolina consistently has 6 in the box, Lions had 7 men blocking - stuffed all day.

How many Monday’s have we gotten up in the last three years when the Lions weren’t in last or tied for last? Pretty sure you could count it on one hand. If Patricia wins out in 2020 and leads them to 16-0 next year, he’d still be a half game short of Jim “9-7 ain’t good enough” Caldwell.

On the plus side, Watson is my fantasy QB. Always great to start the week with 35 points going into the weekend.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:43 AM, BoerumHill said:

On the plus side, Watson is my fantasy QB. Always great to start the week with 35 points going into the weekend.

37.12, plus another 14.90 from the Hockenator.

Opp? 5 from Prater and 3 from Zeke (worst game of the year.) 71% win probability. Woot.

This team...no heart. Good start, first sign of trouble they panic. Since climbing back to .500 the Lions have been blown out by Indianapolis, blown out by Minnesota, needed a 59-yard buzzer-beater to survive blowing a 21-point lead against Washington, then got shut out by the Panthers (who had lost five straight) and were nuked by a Texans team that’s been so bad they already canned their coach and general manager.

The SFH mandate last June was play meaningful games in December. They’re 4-7, in last place entering the final month of the year, for the third straight year. She knows what she has to do. No reason to wait.

SFH

What a miserable way to spend your holiday.

Fans need to hear from her. Now. Not once a year.

”This is B.S., we need to fix this. Brayden Coombs will be the interim HC while we conduct a search.”

Spend whatever it takes to get Bieniemy (if he’s smart he’ll take the Texans job, more pieces in place.) Go nuts and buy out Lincoln Riley’s poison pill. Do something.

Who else thinks they won’t address this until January? Would be very un-Ford like to make an emotional, quick decision.

5 minutes ago, BoerumHill said:

SFH

”This is B.S., we need to fix this. Brayden Coombs will be the interim HC while we conduct a search.”

Spend whatever it takes to get Bieniemy (if he’s smart he’ll take the Texans job, more pieces in place.) Go nuts and buy out Lincoln Riley’s poison pill. Do something.

Who else thinks they won’t address this until January? Would be very un-Ford like to make an emotional, quick decision.

Bieniemy deserves a HC shot. But who in the heck would want to be in Detroit? It is a death sentence to any coach. So unless you want a money grab you pass. Why Bieniemy has not got a look is beyond me, but for his sake I hope he passes if he is given the chance to coach Detroit.

3 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Bieniemy deserves a HC shot. But who in the heck would want to be in Detroit? It is a death sentence to any coach. So unless you want a money grab you pass. Why Bieniemy has not got a look is beyond me, but for his sake I hope he passes if he is given the chance to coach Detroit.

Given the choice - and EB will be THE hot candidate this offseason - why would anyone choose Stafford over Watson? The Texans have some pieces in place. BOB mortgaged their future for bubkis, they’re short a few picks, but that D is playing well again of late. Lions have so many holes and six plus decades of losing culture. Maybe a better comp is the NYJ, and that rebuild will be quicker than Motown’s with a young, coachable #1 overall pick QB.

It’s not an attractive opportunity. For HC candidates or big name FAs.

Any chance Dan Gilbert could overwhelm them with an offer? QuickenLoans Field / Rocket Mortgage Stadium would be rocking by 2025.

Amazing Detroit is still a four sport city.

From what I've read about Sheila Ford Hamp she has a competitive edge to her much more so than Mom and Dad. I have some hope. I can understand why she didn't jump right in and off Patricia and Quinn from the start. 

Definitely both will be gone before next year. Question is should the dismissal occur this week, once the team is eliminated from playoffs or at end of regular season.

What are the advantages/disadvantages? 

10 hours ago, BoerumHill said:

SFH

I was watching the NFL Network last week and not so sure about Bieniemy.   There is no doubt he has to be better than Patricia but Andy Reid is the one who put the offense in, designs all the plays, and wait they do have the best QB in the NFL right now.

The Lions are a team void of talent at every position. Stafford is getting old and regressing.  They only have a handful of decent young players. Quinns drafts have been a total disaster.

#3 overall pick Jeff Okuda is grading out as one the  worst CBs in the NFL this season.

Quinn traded up to draft ML Tavai in the second rd. Tavai had a late 5th rd projection and now is the worst starting LB in the NFL.  DJ Metcalf was picked right after Tavai.   

Right now they need another total rebuild.

8 hours ago, Moonlight said:

From what I've read about Sheila Ford Hamp she has a competitive edge to her much more so than Mom and Dad. I have some hope. I can understand why she didn't jump right in and off Patricia and Quinn from the start. 

Definitely both will be gone before next year. Question is should the dismissal occur this week, once the team is eliminated from playoffs or at end of regular season.

What are the advantages/disadvantages? 

Today would be good."

l haven’t lived in state in 20+ years and I loathe Detroit sports radio so I probably don’t have as good a sense of the room temperature as some of you guys. But I feel like this is one of those moments where the Fords (SFH being the current embodiment of the family dynasty) has to step down off the veranda and let fans know they feel the pain, too. Let everyone know this not acceptable performance. Inject a too often absent sense of urgency.

Not taking action feels like the subtext is “we’re OK with this.”

Easy counter argument:

Same as Day One, 57 straight years.

Sure. Humor me. Pretend we root for a franchise that intends to make things better

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I was watching the NFL Network last week and not so sure about Bieniemy.   There is no doubt he has to be better than Patricia but Andy Reid is the one who put the offense in, designs all the plays, and wait they do have the best QB in the NFL right now.

Reid is a phenomenal administrator. Not sexy talk but top to bottom, every aspect, nothing is missed, everything is intentional.

Sort of like in military planning, logistics is everything. Detail oriented guys are the bomb.

Reid on whether Bieniemy, in his 15th year as a coach (3rd as OC), is ready for the next level:

“I’d say hire him, like right now. That’s what I’d tell you. I don’t want to lose him, but if you’re asking me if he’s ready to be a head coach? Yeah, he’s ready. He was ready last year. Nobody is in more control than what he is within this game. He is a leader of men. He knows football, but he knows the offense like the back of his hand. He is in the quarterback room every day. I think if you talked to Patrick, I think Patrick would tell you how much of an influence he has had on him.”

• Da Guru changed the title to DETROIT LIONS 2020: Lions hire Brad Holmes as new GM...WHO???