What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (10 Viewers)

Interesting case where National media who mostly saw a 30 second clip are laughing at the hire while all the local media who saw the entire hour long presser are in love with the hire. Between him and Holmes, it’s the most energetic and transparent staff I’ve seen. 

Wow. No idea if he’s going to turn us into a winning team, but I’m definitely feeling pumped up now ! 

"This place (Detroit) has been kicked, it's been battered, it's been bruised, and I can sit up here and give you coach speech all day long, I can give you (sic) hey we're gonna win this many games. I can't - none of that matters and you guys don't want to hear it anyway. You've heard enough of that **** - so, excuse my language. Alright, here's what I do know... this team, is gonna take on the identity of this city, alright, and this city has been down and it found a way to get up... it's found a way to overcome adversity. This team is going to built on, alright, we're gonna kick you in the teeth, alright, and when you punch us back, we're gonna smile at you, and when you knock us down, we're gonna get up, and on the way up, we're gonna bite a kneecap off, alright, and we're gonna stand up, alright, and it's gonna take two more shots to knock us down, alright, and on the way up we're gonna take your other kneecap, and then we're gonna get up, and then it's gonna take us three shots to get us down and when we do, we're gonna takeanother hunk out of you before - before long, we're gonna be thelast one standing. Alright, that's gonna be the mentality."

brilliant 
He’s giving Mathew McConaughey a run for his money in the Alright, Alright, Alright Department. 

That was the best new coach presser I've ever seen. It doesn't mean that he'll be a good coach but he should at least be able to grab and hold the players attention. I liked that he said what he wanted to say instead of just telling us what we want to hear as most coaches do.

I'd be more excited if the OC and DC had some experience but who knows, maybe this time it works out for the Lions.

Outside of the crazy kneecap clip, he said a lot of things that I liked:

- it’s a passing league and he’s learned modern football from Sean Payton 

- the biggest thing he learned from Payton was it’s not about running a scheme but putting your best players against their weakest, hammering their weaknesses with your strengths 

- needing to get Swift in the slot matches up LBs
I liked hearing those things too. The Lions have had a boring vanilla offense for years and need a more modern thinker. Patricia never used his best 2 playmakers( Swift,Hock) to create mismatches. With Golladay out, Hock shouldv'e been targeted 10+ times a game every game until teams proved they could stop him.

Interesting case where National media who mostly saw a 30 second clip are laughing at the hire while all the local media who saw the entire hour long presser are in love with the hire. Between him and Holmes, it’s the most energetic and transparent staff I’ve seen. 
This seems like what is happening. Nobody outside of Lions fans would bother to listen to that whole thing. I get laughing at the meathead talking about biting kneecaps off. But first, I think players do respond to that kind of attitude, even if only because it's more entertaining than the alternative. The obvious Vrable comparison seems apt for any Lions fan who isn't totally jaded and checked out. 

Second, I just appreciate that he was willing to try and engage Detroiters and admitted what everyone knows - he'll need good coordinators and smart people around him to tell him when he's wrong. There's nothing wrong with that. What would make this a disaster would be him not admitting that and trying to do more than he's capable of. 

As a survivor of the Vikings years featuring Brad "Uhhhh..." Childress, Leslie "Well I'll Have To Check The Tape" Frazier, and now Mike "I'll bite my OWN players kneecaps" Zimmer I guess I'm not going to criticize a guy with a little gusto.

This seems like what is happening. Nobody outside of Lions fans would bother to listen to that whole thing. I get laughing at the meathead talking about biting kneecaps off. But first, I think players do respond to that kind of attitude, even if only because it's more entertaining than the alternative. The obvious Vrable comparison seems apt for any Lions fan who isn't totally jaded and checked out. 

Second, I just appreciate that he was willing to try and engage Detroiters and admitted what everyone knows - he'll need good coordinators and smart people around him to tell him when he's wrong. There's nothing wrong with that. What would make this a disaster would be him not admitting that and trying to do more than he's capable of. 
Definitely seemed humble and stressed the importance of collaboration. I’ve heard that the Rams and Saints both had very collaborative coaching-front office-ownership connections and this is the direction it seems Detroit is trying to go. I feel way better about this than Quinn and the disheveled one, that’s for sure.

Definitely seemed humble and stressed the importance of collaboration. I’ve heard that the Rams and Saints both had very collaborative coaching-front office-ownership connections and this is the direction it seems Detroit is trying to go. I feel way better about this than Quinn and the disheveled one, that’s for sure.
Another reason I think many Lions fans are at least willing to give Campbell and Holmes a shot is because their personalities are night and day from Patricia/Quinn. I'm guilty of it. Patricia/Quinn were more miserable to live through than any of the clowns we had before them. Literally everything about them was dour and embarrassing. 

Another reason I think many Lions fans are at least willing to give Campbell and Holmes a shot is because their personalities are night and day from Patricia/Quinn. I'm guilty of it. Patricia/Quinn were more miserable to live through than any of the clowns we had before them. Literally everything about them was dour and embarrassing. 
At least it appears both Campbell and Holmes will be more open to speaking to the media.  Quinn never spoke to the media and Patrica said the same dam thing week in and week out. Both would not do radio interviews.  "Have to coach better, have to play better"   For 4 years Caldwell said "Check the report" when asked the status of any injured player. Don`t know why a HC also has to be a doosh.  Don`t see Cambell ever being that way unless they don`t turn it around and the losing beats him down.

I like the hire for you guys. Any coach who references Lebowski is OK in my book. The guy studied under a sharp offensive mind in Payton and seems like he’ll be a good motivator. I’m of the mind that I would rather go for the fresh blood over the retread coach option. 

Some interesting insight in this thread concerning the GM hire. Seems like it could be a too many cooks situation (some of who shouldn’t even be in the kitchen). I’m curious if this GM and coach hire give you all any read on whether you all are going to enter into a rebuild or rather a retool patch job? It seems like the GM might not have the autonomy for a full rebuild, but the coach getting a 6 year deal is a nice window for a rebuild. 

I’m curious about this situation as it seems to relate directly to Stafford. Do you all see the front office trying to move him given these hires? It seems like multiple fan bases (I’m a Skins fan) are just assuming he’ll be on the market, but I don’t know if that’s the case. What do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the hire for you guys. Any coach who references Lebowski is OK in my book. The guy studied under a sharp offensive mind in Payton and seems like he’ll be a good motivator. I’m of the mind that I would rather go for the fresh blood over the retread coach option. 

Some interesting insight in this thread concerning the GM hire. Seems like it could be a too many cooks situation (some of who shouldn’t even be in the kitchen). I’m curious if this GM and coach hire give you all any read on whether you all are going to enter into a rebuild or rather a retool patch job? It seems like the GM might not have the autonomy for a full rebuild, but the coach getting a 6 year deal is a nice window for a rebuild. 

I’m curious about this situation as it seems to relate directly to Stafford. Do you all see the front office trying to move him given these hires? It seems like multiple fan bases (I’m a Skins fan) are just assuming he’ll be on the market, but I don’t know if that’s the case. What do you all think?
I don't think there is any way to say. I know the Ford ownership and management love Stafford. I am sure Holmes and Campbell do too. Everyone in the NFL respects him a ton. I don't think they really know for sure what they plan to do with him but I expect them to explore all options. 

Im pretty saddened even more that biting kneecaps please the Lions fanbase considering they had Suh and his vile antics and they defended him. 

I get the rhetoric is about hype but when thats what gets you excited it should be pretty well settled why the fanbase dont deserve any sort of a winning team. If I was a Lions fan, I would sit quietly and wait for any successful hire before I defended any hire they did. Just one successful hire, just one. 

Its as if Lions fans have not sat through the disaster that is their whole life and witnessed it. Seriously, anyone alive witness any Lions success? How many will only have that one NFC championship loss to the WFT as their only remembrance? 

Seriously, biting kneecaps got you aroused. Wins should be what get you aroused, but when you have no idea what that is because you guys get excited about a new hire every 3 years. 

I just cant understand why people are a fan of this team. I asked as it is a reasonable question.

The TE during your 0-16 team who is unproven is the guy you will run through walls for? OK then.

Im not trying to troll a fanbase, but as a viewer of this form, are we really gonna sit back and watch Lions fans do this insanity again? 

Full Disclosure for those saying Im just trashing Lions fans: I was a Lions fan all my life, I have the wasted money on memorbilia to prove it. But yes, I had to finally give up on this pathetic franchise that shouldnt even be allowed to field a team. I mean that and it isnt just trolling. We as Lions fans watched Barry and Calvin walk away screaming to us how bad this franchise is, but because some of us born and raisedin Detroit we must stay a fan? No, they turned their back on their fanbase so many times I will turn my back and walk away and trash the team and question any fan who remains just because" loyalty."

Teams must earn fans and do things to keep them, it has become taboo that fans must always be fans or if we leave them after 40 years we are fair weather fans. No, we just cant handle liking a team more then the owners and players like the team. 
Well you can take your Charles Rogers jerseys and go root for Tom Brady or something. I’ll be singing chumbawumba and taking all the drinks and singing all the songs, good and bad, because this is my team, for better or for worse. Yes it’s been difficult to be a fan of this organization but I tried moving on and I just don’t care about other teams. Call it “loyalty” or whatever, I’m still critical of them, but I also realize they cant win or change it if the fans are booing because the first pass of the game is incomplete. Is DC the right guy? We will find out. 

There is validity to your point. That said, I’m glad to be rid of fans like you. I’m over arguing with “fans” who simply want to complain all off-season, rag on stafford as being our problems, and basically be ready and expecting to lose when week 1 rolls around. It doesn’t help. Part of the culture in Detroit/Michigan is on the fans. I’ve never seen such a fair weather bunch who can turn on their own team in a home game. 

I understand how you feel and I think this is coming off as more personal than I intended (for the most part, the Rogers Jersey bit was fully intentional).  I respect your decision, and I’m glad that you’ve moved on because we need to go all out for this coach just like we expect the players to do. Maybe someday I’ll feel the same way, but today I’m a lions fan. 

I don't think there is any way to say. I know the Ford ownership and management love Stafford. I am sure Holmes and Campbell do too. Everyone in the NFL respects him a ton. I don't think they really know for sure what they plan to do with him but I expect them to explore all options. 
Well Rodgers is 5 years older than Stafford and is playing against Brady who is 11 years older in the NFC title game.  Tampa just beat the Saints whose qB is 9 years older than Stafford. Stafford is 32 the same age as Russell Wilson..because he was 20 when drafted he seems much older.

Well Rodgers is 5 years older than Stafford and is playing against Brady who is 11 years older in the NFC title game.  Tampa just beat the Saints whose qB is 9 years older than Stafford. Stafford is 32 the same age as Russell Wilson..because he was 20 when drafted he seems much older.
I thought he played well this season given the situation. 9th in yards/attempt, average TD% and INT%, 15th in QBR, top 10 in game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks despite playing on a team that barely ever won.

I thought he played well this season given the situation. 9th in yards/attempt, average TD% and INT%, 15th in QBR, top 10 in game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks despite playing on a team that barely ever won.
Stafford is a good QB.  Lions had a worse defense than they had in the 0-16 season.  The question is how long will it take to turn it around?   If they can turn it around.  2 years..3..4?   If it is 4 then maybe they should trade Stafford.  Then can Stafford play at a high level like Rodgers at 36-37.

Rodgers right now is playing the best of his career at 37.  Will Stafford be capable of that?  Lots of questions.

Nah, im a bit Saints fan since 2004 after living in New Orleans. To be honest going to football games and seeing how football is really played by teams that care about winning and by a team that cares about its fans. Its been a slow roll since then btu always was a Lions fans first. 

So while you chide me for not being loyal after 40 years, maybe you and others tolerating their failure year after year after year after year after year is the real problem. You seem to act like you are better cuz you stay loyal to an awful team, when in actuality Its like a woman cheating on you and you always staying around cuz of your loyalty, meanwhile they are not loyal to you. They wont ever stop or care until you walk away. 

Side note: Thanks for pointing out Charles Rodgers in just how inept this franchise is. Also, if you could, name one good hire by this team in say, 25 years...but stay loyal as if it makes you look better.

I will say as a former fan who used to care when people ragged on my team, I understand your pain. But now, I can relate as everything anyone has ever said is totally true and made me look like the joke fan for ever defending them. Which is kinda funny, cuz so many still defend the indefensible team today.
Not so much loyalty as it is love that makes me go back to this abuser. Like I said, I understand how feel and I don’t think I’m a better fan or anything like that, Im more pointing out that the fans and local Michigan sports media turn on this team quick. I think the fans are hungry and frustrated. Sometimes we aren’t very supportive as a result, and that is also a culture that needs to change. 

Not so much loyalty as it is love that makes me go back to this abuser. Like I said, I understand how feel and I don’t think I’m a better fan or anything like that, Im more pointing out that the fans and local Michigan sports media turn on this team quick. I think the fans are hungry and frustrated. Sometimes we aren’t very supportive as a result, and that is also a culture that needs to change. 
I have been a fan for a long time. I am also fed up with the product as it is a joke. Always has been and chances are it will continue. Certain patterns (terrible leadership and lack of direction) are hard to break and this franchise is the definition of awful. It is their turn to prove it to me as I am done with expecting a turnaround. It is a complete failure of an organization and I expect that to continue. With that being said I will not be “choosing” another team to root for. Just like family I consider myself stuck with this team and will continue to root for them. I also enjoy rooting for a few other NFL franchises but Detroit will forever be my team and I can’t imagine it any other way. I do feel like this team has given me the right to be critical of them and I will be until they are able to start putting one foot in front of the other. Another batch of leaders are here and although I am not optimistic I will give them a chance to see what they can do before we recycle another group in 4-5 years. I am excited not to see Patricia’s moronic rear end dragging on the sideline any longer. 

Why am I not optimistic?

Mornhinweg 2001–2002 5-27  (.156)

Mariucci 2003–2005 15-28 (.349)

Jauron 2005 1-4 (.200)

Marinelli 2006–2008 10-38 (.208)

Schwartz 2009–2013 29-51 (.363)

Caldwell 2014–2017 36-28 (.563)

Patricia 2018–2020 13-28 (.321)

Bevell 2020 1-4 (.200)

Campbell 2021 good luck-

Some of these teams had a lot of talent to work with. Caldwell got the shaft after making the playoffs (unheard of in Detroit) two out of three years. This coming years team is as devoid of talent as I can remember. Trying to rebuild this franchise when there is no foundation is going to be a nightmare.

Also you can’t blame the Lions for Rogers. Everyone who covered football was in love with him, he was Moss before Moss. He just didn’t have the right mindset and wasn’t able to grow into an adult.

Days like today make me really despise this franchise.  I have been a fan since 1989, my first year really following football.  I have seen them waste a lot of talented players, but Barry, Calvin, and now Stafford are the ones that really hurt.  Barry and Calvin wound up demoralized by this franchise, and both had no relationship with the Lion's after retirement initially.   Stafford is too classy to say anything, but I'm sure he too is just tired of being a Lion and thrilled by the prospect of moving on.  He's easily the best Lion's QB of my lifetime, been a model teammate, and a model member of the franchise off the field.  I wish him nothing but the best, and will be rooting for his success wherever he lands.

I am one that tends to stick by my local team, it just feels like the way things are supposed to be.  That said, I am finally feeling the apathy kick in.  This is the first of the many rebuilds, full of off-season hirings, that I have no excitement about, no feelings at all about.  I just don't care any more.  I will still watch on Sundays, I will still root and hope they eventually become a serious franchise... but the emotional attachment is fading.  It's just a matter of them being the team from my state at this point.  This team truly sucks the fun out of being a football fan.  So little to be excited about, so much to be disappointed by.  I wish I knew why it's this way with this team... but it is.  They have had countless hires, countless signings, countless draft picks, that all seemed to be good on paper.  They have gone into so many seasons looking like they could compete, only to eventually fall flat on their faces and embarrass, again and again.

I don't fault anyone who has chosen a new team to root for, to support.  I also don't fault anyone who continues to believe that this franchise will eventually be worthy of your support.  I have just reached the point that I don't care.  Call me fair-weather, call be a bandwagoner, but I am to the point that I won't emotionally invest until they have results worthy of the investment.

Man, F*^k the Lions. 

Reports said Stafford is the one that brought this up to the team before the GM and HC interviews. He felt it was in the best interest of both parties. The Lions disclosed this to Holmes, Campbell, etc. during their interviews.  per beat writer Kyle Meinke

I am happy for Stafford. He's one of the greatest Lions of my lifetime and a great guy. I with him a SB win and a HOF. As for the Lions, it is sad because we have squandered a great QB but it's for the best at this point. They should be able to get a pretty big haul from SF or Indy. 

Reports said Stafford is the one that brought this up to the team before the GM and HC interviews. He felt it was in the best interest of both parties. The Lions disclosed this to Holmes, Campbell, etc. during their interviews.  per beat writer Kyle Meinke

I am happy for Stafford. He's one of the greatest Lions of my lifetime and a great guy. I with him a SB win and a HOF. As for the Lions, it is sad because we have squandered a great QB but it's for the best at this point. They should be able to get a pretty big haul from SF or Indy. 
Dan Olavsky is Stafford`s mouthpiece.   When he said a few weeks ago it would be in the best interest for both to move on everybody said it was Stafford telling him to say that. Stafford would not do that himself as he wanted to stay classy.

So again the Lions best player at the time will be gone.  I understand as good as Stafford can be the team was not good, another new GM, another new HC, another new OC.  Team in a rebuild.

I wish Stafford well and would love to see how he plays on The Colts, maybe Cowboys, Denver or Redskins. Colts are ready to win now so hope that is his landing spot. 

I really want him to win and have a chance at some playoff success in his next few seasons.

Lions should sign Ryan Fitz for next year as a stop-gap and draft a QB.

There are a lot of teams that could trade for him: Pitt, Wash, Indy, Denver, Carolina, SF. Also there’s no precedent for this that I can think of. Can anyone name a QB this good in his prime being traded? It should be a monster haul.

There are a lot of teams that could trade for him: Pitt, Wash, Indy, Denver, Carolina, SF. Also there’s no precedent for this that I can think of. Can anyone name a QB this good in his prime being traded? It should be a monster haul.
I would think a #1 and #2.  Big Ben is still under contract and Pitt is in cap hell already.    Colts, SF, Denver or Cowboys is my guess. Jones has always loved Stafford and Dak turned down 35 million.

The Watson discussion was about 2 firsts and another high pick, possibly another first. And one of the 1st  round pick had to be high - like NYJ at #2 or Miami at #3. Watson is younger and playing better than Stafford. I could see the Broncos trading #1.09 and #3.71. 

The only part of this I don't understand is why they put it out that he's available?  Seems to undercut a little leverage.

Does this mean the plan is Tyrod and hope you like a QB left at 8? That's actually not bad in my opinion if it works out but it's not impossible teams move up and 4 QB's are gone.

The only part of this I don't understand is why they put it out that he's available?  Seems to undercut a little leverage.

Does this mean the plan is Tyrod and hope you like a QB left at 8? That's actually not bad in my opinion if it works out but it's not impossible teams move up and 4 QB's are gone.
Lions must think multible teams will have interest.  Matt Ryan might be on the market soon too.  They are the same.

Mixed feelings on this. I like the experience and the way he gets RBs involved in the passing game. I don’t like his dedication to early down runs though.
Yeah, Lynn is terrible.  

I like the guy but his strategic decisions are garbage.  So many coaches who don't learn the modern nuances getting hired by trash organizations.

These aren't even modern nuances I suppose, it's stuff they should have known all along and is now objectively undeniable.  Like running on first down every possession or kicking the other team an intentional turnover. 

I assume they are inviting a bidding war and I expect they get one. It’s the most rare thing in the NFL for a franchise QB to available in trade.

Great call and close comp. I think Stafford is better than Palmer at that point in their careers. Palmer was coming off a 20 interception season. Also Palmer was becoming an issue. He retired before the trade. 

Lions must think multible teams will have interest.  Matt Ryan might be on the market soon too.  They are the same.
I think multiple teams will certainly have interest. And I disagree that Ryan and Stafford are the same. Stafford is younger and is the much better QB imo. Ryan has had the benefit of being surrounded by elite talent at the WR position his entire career, and has struggled whenever Julio isn’t in the lineup. As a Skins fan, I would be much more willing to give up draft capital for Stafford than for Ryan.

Speaking of which, I’ve been saying in the WFT/Skins thread that from the day they hired Mayhew as GM I’ve thought that they would attempt to make a trade for Stafford. I fully expect them to overpay to acquire him at this point. Imo, this will probably come down to the Skins vs the Colts in a bidding war, and I fully expect my Skins to overpay to get him like they always do. 

2nd rd pick with a conditional 3rd tied to it. 

I assume they are inviting a bidding war and I expect they get one. It’s the most rare thing in the NFL for a franchise QB to available in trade.

Great call and close comp. I think Stafford is better than Palmer at that point in their careers. Palmer was coming off a 20 interception season. Also Palmer was becoming an issue. He retired before the trade. 
Above

This exactly. Given the scarcity of quality QBs available on the market and Stafford‘s resume, there will be heavy interest. Combined with his relatively young age in an era when QBs are playing great well into their late 30s, I think he will bring the Lions a healthy return in a trade.

Users who are viewing this thread