What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (18 Viewers)

Wonder if Dan Gilbert would ever want to be an NFL Owner? He already owns half of downtown. But I don't think Bill Jr. would ever leave the club. Unfortunately he's a multi-billionaire and will never need to sell. GDit.

Running backs snap counts: Ameer Abdullah (37 of 78), Joique Bell (25), Michael Burton (23) and Theo Riddick (16).

The dime package was working reasonably well last night (6 DBs + Bynes.) But these next two games are really rough matchups. 0-5 would be the suck but it seems inevitable.

well I think this season might get Mayhew, and Caldwell fired, I say might, because its the lions. Throw Tom Lewand out while they are at it
This is the key. The Lions never changed their culture. They kept Millin way too long and when they fired him they promoted his right hand man in failure Martin Mayhew...who does that?? Lions really need to fire Mayhew and Lewand. Caldwell will have to go out the door with them. They have to change the front office culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Da Guru said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
well I think this season might get Mayhew, and Caldwell fired, I say might, because its the lions. Throw Tom Lewand out while they are at it
This is the key. The Lions never changed their culture. They kept Millin way too long and when they fired him they promoted his right hand man in failure Martin Mayhew...who does that?? Lions really need to fire Mayhew and Lewand. Caldwell will have to go out the door with them. They have to change the front office culture.
Exactly. Millen lasted far too long, and then they hired his potege. It's beyond absurd, and I'm going to guess unheard of in any other NFL franchise. Lewand is the less discussed, but equally culpable, clown in this circus. He has been there for 19 freaking years. Through failed regime after failed regime, Lewand just keeps sticking around and getting promoted. This team desperately needs a complete and total house cleaning, from the top down, if it ever plans on changing the losing culture that pervades the entire operation.

Da Guru said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Exactly. Millen lasted far too long, and then they hired his potege. It's beyond absurd, and I'm going to guess unheard of in any other NFL franchise. Lewand is the less discussed, but equally culpable, clown in this circus. He has been there for 19 freaking years. Through failed regime after failed regime, Lewand just keeps sticking around and getting promoted. This team desperately needs a complete and total house cleaning, from the top down, if it ever plans on changing the losing culture that pervades the entire operation.
Sounds like how a gubment agency runs....

To be fair, a lot of Lion fans can also predict not just the plays, but the end result.
Just to show an obvious but key difference between teams: Philly was another team that was struggling offensively @ 0-2 after a double digit win season.

But in game 3 when they got to the 1 yard line while in a one back passing formation they rushed to the line and quickly handed the ball to mighty midget Sproles, who easily ran in for the TD.

We all know what the Lions would have done. They would have their "jumbo" offense lumber onto the field, taking their time to insure that the defense had time to adjust and make substitutions. They might have even called a timeout to insure that the other team could get into a 9 man box in time to stuff the play.

To be fair, a lot of Lion fans can also predict not just the plays, but the end result.
Just to show an obvious but key difference between teams: Philly was another team that was struggling offensively @ 0-2 after a double digit win season.But in game 3 when they got to the 1 yard line while in a one back passing formation they rushed to the line and quickly handed the ball to mighty midget Sproles, who easily ran in for the TD.

We all know what the Lions would have done. They would have their "jumbo" offense lumber onto the field, taking their time to insure that the defense had time to adjust and make sustitutions. They might have even called a timeout to insure that the other team could get into a 9 man box in time to stuff the play.
"...and Joique Bell gets stuffed for a loss. Jim Caldwell is going to play it safe and kick the Field Goal on 4th and 2"

Just to show an obvious but key difference between teams: Philly was another team that was struggling offensively @ 0-2 after a double digit win season.But in game 3 when they got to the 1 yard line while in a one back passing formation they rushed to the line and quickly handed the ball to mighty midget Sproles, who easily ran in for the TD.

We all know what the Lions would have done. They would have their "jumbo" offense lumber onto the field, taking their time to insure that the defense had time to adjust and make sustitutions. They might have even called a timeout to insure that the other team could get into a 9 man box in time to stuff the play.
"...and Joique Bell gets stuffed for a loss. Jim Caldwell is going to play it safe and kick the Field Goal on 4th and 2"
"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

No it would have been a fake FG on 4th and 2 with another handoff to Joique. And we all know what happens next...

Yes it was Isaiah Thomas bad. Guys like Lewand would not be hired by any other team in the league for any job. Yet somehow he's still with the Lions. Mayhew is still around because, like Millen, he's a former player that won a Superbowl. Apparently that extends any mediocre front office career by an extra decade or more.

In the early years they used to try to justify Lewand's existence by emphasing that what he lacked in football experience he more than made up for as an expert capologist. Of course after he ####ed us for the duration with the Stafford & Suh rookie contracts, they stopped bringing that up.

:lol:

(Yes I'm well aware of the changes to the rookie salary cap thereafter. Doesn't change the fact they kept kicking the problem down the road until they were completely hamstrung by deferred cap hits. Expert my ###.)

Yes it was Isaiah Thomas bad. Guys like Lewand would not be hired by any other team in the league for any job. Yet somehow he's still with the Lions. Mayhew is still around because, like Millen, he's a former player that won a Superbowl. Apparently that extends any mediocre front office career by an extra decade or more.
Meyhew has at least drafted some talent. Lewand just can't run the financials.

Is Calvin going to pack it in at some point this season? Their schedule is favorable after Arizona for him, I'm thinking about buying low after the next two weeks, I just don't want him sitting out starting week 13 or 14.

Is Calvin going to pack it in at some point this season? Their schedule is favorable after Arizona for him, I'm thinking about buying low after the next two weeks, I just don't want him sitting out starting week 13 or 14.
Pack it in? :no:

The problem with Calvin the past couple years has been wear and tear from going over the middle as alluded to above, he seems as healthy as he's been in a long time so I think he's a good buy; they'll be back to airing it out to him down the field soon IMO.

I missed this Drew Brees quote the first time around, it has new meaning now!

"Listen, you could watch a Detroit game from this year in front of me right now, I could call 95% of the plays," Brees said last week at the Super Bowl in Arizona. "Absolutely. Probably 70% of them before you even hit the play button. Just by looking at the formation, 'All right, it's this.' "

My buddy is flying to Seattle right now for business and is going to the Lion game tonight..he texted me and said he had the window seat in first class and who boards and sits right next to him but Martin Mayhew. I texted back and said I hope you talk to him. We will see.

At least you fellas in the LP dont have to deal with the freaking green and gold.

Usually they just laugh when you walk by with your Lions gear on....this year ive been getting these looks like they almost feel sorry for me. Perplexing.

At least you fellas in the LP dont have to deal with the freaking green and gold.

Usually they just laugh when you walk by with your Lions gear on....this year ive been getting these looks like they almost feel sorry for me. Perplexing.
You are certainly right about that. It has been a sad, sad decline considering the high end talent on your team. I am still holding out hope that you guys can win tonight so I can fire up the good ol' 'Wheels Off the Bus' thread for the Hawks later tonight.

Jim Schwartz was better than this. Says a lot. Can't believe this team picked Caldwell. Might as well have brought Marinelli back.

Calvin Johnson was in line in front of my brother at a McDonalds in Seattle this AM.

Breakfast of champions.

Lions have a lot more to be sorry about than officiatingBy Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com

Follow on Twitter

on October 06, 2015 at 4:59 AM, updated October 06, 2015 at 6:10 AM

SEATTLE -- James Ihedigbo was so tired, so sore, so emotionally and physically spent, he had a reporter open his bottled water for him.

He was either too sore to do it himself, or too broken to try.

Yet while many of his teammates ducked out of the Detroit Lions locker room, evading writers better than the tailbacks evade tacklers these days, Ihedigbo stood at his stall through the pain and answered every question.

And he made it very clear -- the Lions are sick and tired of apologies.

They got one last year from the NFL when officials blew a pass interference call -- or at least the execution of a pass interference call -- in a playoff game against Dallas. And they're about to get another one after the NFL admitted officials blew an intentional batting call that should have given Detroit the ball at the goal line in the final minutes of Monday night's game against Seattle.

Instead, officials basically said there was nothing to see here -- even though K.J. Wright can be seen clearly, and intentionally, knocking the ball out of bounds -- and gave possession to the Seahawks.

A totally unreviewable play left the Lions totally powerless. They lost 13-10.

"It's costing wins and losses," Ihedigbo said, speaking in bursts of staccato frustration. "A simple, 'Sorry, we made a mistake,' doesn't suffice."

He's right. An apology could never be enough to make up for the blown pass interference in the playoffs. Could never make up for giving the ball back to Seattle with less than 2 minutes left, rather than to Detroit at the goal line.

The Lions swung from probable winners to certain losers based on that one blown call. But the NFL isn't the only one who has something to be sorry for here.

The truth is, the Lions, at 0-4, simply stink.

And if they didn't, maybe they wouldn't find themselves in these types of situations time and time again.

They've lost games in just about every way imaginable over the years, including once on a rule that is now named after Calvin Johnson. And five years later, Rule 12, Section 4, Article 1b of the NFL rulebook is about to get awfully famous in Detroit too.

But at some point, it's not about everyone else making mistakes that kill the Lions. It's about the Lions putting putting themselves in a position to be killed. And doing it often.

Consider Monday night's game, when Detroit's defense played really well, including sacking Russell Wilson six times and forcing three turnovers. They allowed only 13 points.

But the offense did not score a touchdown, which left the team in a position to need a defensive score from Caraun Reid just to be in this thing, and then a 91-yard drive in the final minutes to finally take a lead.

Detroit wound up getting about 90.5 of those 91 yards. That they came so excruciatingly close will drive people crazy, and will drive players and coaches crazy too. But let's not lose sight of just how bad this offense is, which made them vulnerable to the crazy in the first place.

The Lions continue to say they're getting closer, even if we can't see it. Maybe that's true, but it's awfully hard to see what they mean when their last 15 drives look a little something like this: Punt-punt-fumble-interception-downs-punt-punt-punt-field goal-punt-punt-punt-punt-punt-fumble.

So blame the officials if you want. They owe Detroit an apology, no doubt about it. But how many games can you really expect to win -- on the road, no less, and in one of the league's most hostile venues to boot -- with such a naked ineptitude on offense?

So maybe it's the Lions who have something to be sorry about. Namely that offense, which they continue to tout as being "close," yet 21 games into the Joe Lombardi era, continues to cost this team more than the officials ever could.

This stuff's gone on long enough to make one wonder whether the Lions will ever work out under Lombardi.

They rushed 18 times for just 53 yards against Seattle, in yet another truly awful day -- and actually bring their numbers up. They are the only team averaging fewer than 3 yards per carry (2.7). They are the only team averaging fewer than 69 yards rushing per game (47.0).

Detroit is now one of just four teams scoring fewer than 17 points per game, along with Miami, Jacksonville and San Francisco -- all last-place teams. All truly awful teams.

And it's time to acknowledge, at 0-4, that this is an awful team too.

They have no answers. They are all apologies.

Joe Lombardi has been the Offensive Coordinator for 20 regular season games, 21 overall including last year's loss to the Cowboys.

The offense has struggled the entire time.

No, they don't have the most talented line. But look around the league. They're no more deficient than a lot fo teams. Many offensive lines are struggling to find cohesiveness (Philly, Seattle.) The Broncos have four new starters and none of them had played together until a couple months ago. Denver has a quarterback playing like crap and an ineffective running game.

Matt Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Eric Ebron, Ameer Abduallh - does that sound like bottom five talent? No way. Fifteen straight drives without a TD. Abdullah is on pace to gain 792 yards from scrimmage.

The defense played extremely well last night. Six sacks and forced three turnovers. As with the Denver loss, they played well enough to win. This despite losing their top three defensive lineman in the offseason and being without their best player (Levy) all season. Without question, Terryl Austin is one of the best Defensive Coordinators in the league.

On the other side of the ball, Lombardi might be the worst OC in the NFL.

You make your own luck. Just like every Lions fan, deep down inside the Lions knew they would lose this game. It has become a self fulfilling prophecy at this point.

Calvin looks like an overpaid colston.

You make your own luck. Just like every Lions fan, deep down inside the Lions knew they would lose this game. It has become a self fulfilling prophecy at this point.

Cliche followed by trolling followed by a shot at Megatron. :lmao:

Cliche followed by trolling followed by a shot at Megatron. :lmao:
You can stop calling him megatron anytime now. That guy is gone.

...and what I'm trolling other Lions fans....yeah okay.

Have you watched the games?

Joe Lombardi has been the Offensive Coordinator for 20 regular season games, 21 overall including last year's loss to the Cowboys.

No, they don't have the most talented line. But look around the league. They're no more deficient than a lot fo teams. Many offensive lines are struggling to find cohesiveness (Philly, Seattle.) The Broncos have four new starters and none of them had played together until a couple months ago. Denver has a quarterback playing like crap and an ineffective running game.

Matt Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Eric Ebron, Ameer Abduallh - does that sound like bottom five talent? No way. Fifteen straight drives without a TD. Abdullah is on pace to gain 792 yards from scrimmage.

The defense played extremely well last night. Six sacks and forced three turnovers. As with the Denver loss, they played well enough to win. This despite losing their top three defensive lineman in the offseason and being without their best player (Levy) all season. Without question, Terryl Austin is one of the best Defensive Coordinators in the league.

I came in here to say basically the same things.

Just heard the todays presser. Jim Caldwell has turned into a first class doosh. I can honestly say I miss Jim Schwartz.

Just heard the todays presser. Jim Caldwell has turned into a first class doosh. I can honestly say I miss Jim Schwartz.
I didn't hear it but I'm guessing all of his answers consisted of

"We need to play better"

"Coaching Decision"

"It'll be in the injury report"

I didn't hear it but I'm guessing all of his answers consisted of

"We need to play better"

"Coaching Decision"

"It'll be in the injury report"
Would not talk at all about "Bat-Gate" Said he would not allow any player to talk about it. Every question he was asked about an injury he said "Check the report" about 10 times. Like Lynch saying "just here so I won`t get fined"

Said.."Need to play better" "Things of that nature" Very unlikeable and treated the reporters like chit in a very short presser. Honeslty not sure that Caldwell even knew the rule so he did not want to be asked about it.

The sad thing is I doubt the Fords will fire him in the middle of the season

Hell I'm not even sure they'll fire him in the offseason

Why does Stafford turn into a badass at the end of these games. Complacent, slow paced, inconsistent.... then the clock hits 6 minutes in the 4th quarter and he looks unstoppable.. uptempo, decisive, accurate, laser passes.

Frustrating.

Coaches like Lombardi and Caldwell look great on paper when they are gifted Drew Brees or Peyton Manning at QB. They invariably suck when they don't have an elite QB. And I don't want to hear about how Caldwell helped Joe Flacco win a SB. He took over for Cam F'n Cameron and then absolutely sucked as the Ravens OC the following season. Caldwell is not a good OC or HC. Lombardi is not a good OC. Both of these guys are Brian Schottenheimer bad and are completely out of their depth without a loaded team. There is no question that the Lions offense is markedly worse now than it was under the previous coaching staff.

Why does Stafford turn into a badass at the end of these games. Complacent, slow paced, inconsistent.... then the clock hits 6 minutes in the 4th quarter and he looks unstoppable.. uptempo, decisive, accurate, laser passes.

Frustrating.
TV guys were also asking this. Maybe they should just let him run a 2 minute drill the whole game, its not like they would lose a higher % of games.

Where do the Lions go from here? Is there any chance ownership blows this thing up and moves on from Stafford soon?

Where do the Lions go from here? Is there any chance ownership blows this thing up and moves on from Stafford soon?The
The Fords? Only 0-16 might be enough to chance Head Coaches. I'm guessing some changes happen after maybe a 3 win season.

I could see throwing Stafford to the curb, though. He's on the books until 2017, but that's "only" 5.5 mil per, which isn't a lot for a QB. Still, WCF may be dead but his cheapness lives on, so no guarantees here.

(semi-realistic: 35% chance to beat a Chicago team lucky to be 2-3. 15% to beat Minnesota assuming they're healthy. 50/50 to beat KC w/o Charles. Otherwise probably no chance until the last 3 weeks, even with Philly somewhat of a mess. Thread title should be the quest for Owen)

Pretty sure Tate is 100% correct that the other teams knows the plays. No one is ever running wide open. Calvin has got to grow some balls and tell Caldwell/Dumbardi to #### themselves and his bull#### offense.

Seems like that brutal loss to seattle totally took the fight out of this team. And I agree, that must have been a heartbreaking one for them pretty much calling it their super bowl, playing on the road in a really tough place as big underdogs and maybe lost on a bad call. Not sure how they can get out of this funk but Chicago seems to be the best shot they've got.

I wonder if you guys will be the first team in history to have 2 defeated season. As someone who dislikes the lions but just likes calvin and stafford kind of hope it happens so they fire your head coach/gm/all coaches and let stafford just wing it to calvin every game

Users who are viewing this thread