What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (33 Viewers)

Drew Sharp isn't a reader, he's a hack sportswriter who's wrong more often than he's right.
:goodposting:

For such a great sports town - and the D truly is a great sports town - it's amazing how many lousy sportswriters they have had the last 30 years. And before anyone says "well it's Detroit" you might want to remember Oakland county (north of the city and where the Lions played for 30+ years) is one of the most affluent areas in the country. Hell, Tirico lives in A2 year round.

Didn't use to be that way: Jerry Green, Joe Falls and Tom Gage were all phenomenal. Now you have, what, Lynn Henning and the little guy (if you've seen Albom in person you know what I mean). Mike O'Hara was decent at one time but now he's just the Ford's shrill.

Anyway, sorry to Suh go. He gave us 5 good (and a couple really great) seasons.

I never begrudge athletes getting all they can when they can. But this wasn't about money IMO; Detroit was within $2M in guaranteed money over a six-year contract. This was more about a guy needing/wanting a change in scenery. Or maybe he was just sick of the ineptitude of the franchise. Suh is an intelligent guy, there's no upside to coming out now and saying what the real reasons were. But the bottom line is if he really wanted to stay a Lion he would have found a way to work it out. The fact that he is walking over basically $333K per year in guaranteed salary is all I need to know. Whatever his reasons - he's entitled to them, it's not hard to imagine why Barry got fed up after ten years - it doesn't really matter.

It's like when a smoking hot chick walks out of your life. Yeah, you're bummed, but get over it quick because life is moving on, with or without you.

Drew Sharp isn't a reader, he's a hack sportswriter who's wrong more often than he's right.
:goodposting:

For such a great sports town - and the D truly is a great sports town - it's amazing how many lousy sportswriters they have had the last 30 years. And before anyone says "well it's Detroit" you might want to remember Oakland county (north of the city and where the Lions played for 30+ years) is one of the most affluent areas in the country. Hell, Tirico lives in A2 year round.

Didn't use to be that way: Jerry Green, Joe Falls and Tom Gage were all phenomenal. Now you have, what, Lynn Henning and the little guy (if you've seen Albom in person you know what I mean). Mike O'Hara was decent at one time but now he's just the Ford's shrill.
I grew up with those guys. We truly were blessed with first rate sports writers. Albom used to be great, but now he's too busy being a renaissance man to have any sports impact. More power to him, I guess, but I really loved his sports writing in the early 90s.

Still gotta love Wojo though. Great writer and fun to listen to on the radio.

So the Lions just traded for a 31-year-old with a $16 million cap figure. I guess we should wait for the details but it's hard to imagine this being a good move.

So the Lions just traded for a 31-year-old with a $16 million cap figure. I guess we should wait for the details but it's hard to imagine this being a good move.
I think when it all shakes out (financially and with pick considerations), they could have kept Suh for the same or less than this deal. SOL...

Spartans Rule said:
He is an $8 million hit to the Lions, he was a $16 million hit to Baltimore. Baltimore saved $8 million off their cap figure. Seems like the Lions got a great player for a position of need.

Hard to see a better way to replace the Suh loss. Is a move to 3-4 a done deal now?
Ngata's played in 3-4, 4-3, and hybrids. He's done well in all of them, so I doubt he'd be the reason the Lions would change.

As a Ravens fan, sorry to see him go but it's probably best all around. Ngata still gets to play under his (bigger than what he would've gotten if he'd been cut) contract, Detroit gets a still pretty good player when healthy (plus, he's a good dude), Baltimore gets $8m in relief and a couple of picks in an area they've traditionally done well in.

But the best thing to come out of this trade is that Haloti will be on far fewer CBS games, meaning we'll have a tiny fraction of Jim Nance's pretentious pronunciation of his name. And Simms trying to mimic Nance (& failing) is even worse.

Hard to see a better way to replace the Suh loss. Is a move to 3-4 a done deal now?
It will be a good fit for one season. A little worried how he will play while not on PEDs though. This whole fiasco makes the Eric Ebron pick look worse than it was. Mayhew knew that the Lions were in danger of losing both Suh and Fairley and yet still drafted another TE in the first rd with Aaron Donald sitting there.

It will be a good fit for one season. A little worried how he will play while not on PEDs though. This whole fiasco makes the Eric Ebron pick look worse than it was. Mayhew knew that the Lions were in danger of losing both Suh and Fairley and yet still drafted another TE in the first rd with Aaron Donald sitting there.
I love how people heap all PED usage as something horrific. Josh Gordon was suspended for freakin Codein. Ngata was for Adderal. He'll be just fine without his "PEDs". As for Ebron, we'll just have to see. I'm not giving up after his rookie season that wasn't THAT bad. Lots of rookies struggle.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
31 year old roid head, would of been cut
You realize hardly any drug suspensions are for "roids", right?
usually a 4 game suspension is a PED based infraction
ngata's suspension was for adderall, not steroids.
Yeah im sure thats what they all say
thanks for clearing things up for me. much appreciated.

Spartans Rule said:
He is an $8 million hit to the Lions, he was a $16 million hit to Baltimore. Baltimore saved $8 million off their cap figure. Seems like the Lions got a great player for a position of need.
Yeah, didn't realize half that cap figure was from a signing bonus. At $8 million for this year and only costing some late-round picks (which the Lions never get anything out of anyway), it doesn't seem too bad.

WagesOfZin said:
swabs said:
31 year old roid head, would of been cut
You realize hardly any drug suspensions are for "roids", right?
usually a 4 game suspension is a PED based infraction
ngata's suspension was for adderall, not steroids.
Yeah im sure thats what they all say
The NFL bends over backwards to make it easy as #### to avoid getting busted for PED's. They have to. A league full of 300 lb monsters benching 600 lbs and 250 lb LB's running 4.5's has virtually 100% PED use among the positions where it would provide a meaningful advantage. The PED policy is an IQ test, not a method of rule enforcement.

I never begrudge athletes getting all they can when they can. But this wasn't about money IMO; Detroit was within $2M in guaranteed money over a six-year contract. This was more about a guy needing/wanting a change in scenery. Or maybe he was just sick of the ineptitude of the franchise. Suh is an intelligent guy, there's no upside to coming out now and saying what the real reasons were. But the bottom line is if he really wanted to stay a Lion he would have found a way to work it out. The fact that he is walking over basically $333K per year in guaranteed salary is all I need to know. Whatever his reasons - he's entitled to them, it's not hard to imagine why Barry got fed up after ten years - it doesn't really matter.

It's like when a smoking hot chick walks out of your life. Yeah, you're bummed, but get over it quick because life is moving on, with or without you.
With Michigan state taxes and Florida's no state tax it was closer to 5 million in guarantees.

With Michigan state taxes and Florida's no state tax it was closer to 5 million in guarantees.
4,25% x $58M = $2.465M

Less $976K less in Fed Income Tax

Net tax difference $1.489M over 6 years - about $250K /yr

:shrug:

4,25% x $58M = $2.465MLess $976K less in Fed Income Tax

Net tax difference $1.489M over 6 years - about $250K /yr

:shrug:
I am not an accountant, I just remember when he signed with the Dolphins, that several media sources say the Lions need to get to about 65 million guaranteed to match the dolphins.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12444126/ndamukong-suh-sign-6-year-114-million-deal-miami-dolphins

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty happy with the big corner and Jahvid Best 2.0.

eta - Ramirez isn't a bad depth add for Oline as well!

matuski said:
Pretty happy with the big corner and Jahvid Best 2.0.

eta - Ramirez isn't a bad depth add for Oline as well!
It will take time of course to tell how good these guys turn out but they seemed to at least consider need some this time around.

JB 2.0 needs to keep his tiny hands secure around the ball and he could be an open space RB/kick returner as well as maybe a 3rd/slot WR in certain formations.

Signed rookie FA Zach Zenner ....

LOVE this pickup - pair this kid with AA, the improved o-line, we are going to have a very formidable run game.

Caldwell doing a fantastic job this offseason

Pretty happy overall.

Corey Robinson is quite an interesting late round pickup.

Abdullah's fumbles went down every year in college, hopefully that trend continues. Otherwise, I'm excited by his prospects and I like that we also focused on good characters in this draft as well

So chaps, what we thinking ?

Schedule looks rrrrough this year. I actually think we could play not that badly and end up around 8-8.

Hoping the D doesn't fall away too much. It's not unreasonable to expect that we could still be a top 8-12 overall D. The run D will no doubt regress but we have strength at the back end these days and can hope that continues to improve.

Hopefully the run game flourishes and Stafford etc are more comfortable with the playbook a year further on.

Still, tough schedule and I don't particularly like our chances of a playoff spot unless we can somehow win our division.

So chaps, what we thinking ?

Schedule looks rrrrough this year. I actually think we could play not that badly and end up around 8-8.

Hoping the D doesn't fall away too much. It's not unreasonable to expect that we could still be a top 8-12 overall D. The run D will no doubt regress but we have strength at the back end these days and can hope that continues to improve.

Hopefully the run game flourishes and Stafford etc are more comfortable with the playbook a year further on.

Still, tough schedule and I don't particularly like our chances of a playoff spot unless we can somehow win our division.
Terrible schedule. I think 8-8 is about right. Bad start, but finish strong. I am really curious to see how well Ngata can replace Suh. If he's still got a Pro Bowl caliber season left in the tank, the D might be ok. His play will really make or break the season. I hope Tulloch is fully recovered and playing as well as he had prior to the injury. He can be a tackling machine behind a stout Ngata. Ebron needs to take a step forward as well. If he can become that needed 3rd guy in the passing game, I think the offense could be as productive as just about any offense in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread