What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (9 Viewers)

I think the timeline for a good NFL QB is much longer now than it used to be. Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Ben, Rivers, Fitzpatrick, etc. We are seeing guys play at high levels well beyond what was expected a decade ago. QB prime probably used to be 25-30 and is now more like 25-35. 

I think the timeline for a good NFL QB is much longer now than it used to be. Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Ben, Rivers, Fitzpatrick, etc. We are seeing guys play at high levels well beyond what was expected a decade ago. QB prime probably used to be 25-30 and is now more like 25-35. 
They don’t get hit

Sam Bradford coming off a 19 TD and 10 Int season and multiple serious injuries got a 1st and a 4th a few years ago. 
The quality of the 1st makes a difference. If Jacksonville offered only their 1st this year, Detroit would accept. I think a high first round pick and another high pick would be enough. Like Miami's 1.03 and 1.18, and Tua, if they were dealing. Or Denver's 1.07 and 3.70, plus a 1st in 2022.

Well, all I can say is dont half ### the rebuild. Move guys, deal with the dead money, and build through the draft. I’d be ok with trey lance if he falls there.

I grew up watching Barry Sanders, saw Calvin Johnson's career wasted and both of them retire early to get away from the Lions. Great to see Stafford get out while he's got a lot of good years left. Been tough watching him get beat up and take the blame. 

As for the Lions, wow they have some dark years ahead. Not like it can get much worse I guess, but the Caldwell days like like a high point now.

Put me down as saying I think the Lions get two #1's for him or a #1 and two #2's at least. His contract is very team friendly for whoever acquires him but only has two years left. This seems like they will trade Stafford somewhere he wants to go, and he'll probably agree to an extension or at worst be promised one will be coming soon and he's going to bring a very nice haul.

This really seems like a good move to me from Lions angle.

I made a point earlier how hiring a coach can make all a difference for transactions and free agents wanting to go to a place.

Lions got Selah, Watson would want to go to Detroit. Stafford and a 1.7 and 2 would have gotten it done. 
Did Watson say Saleh was why he wanted to go to the Jets? 

Put me down as saying I think the Lions get two #1's for him or a #1 and two #2's at least. His contract is very team friendly for whoever acquires him but only has two years left. This seems like they will trade Stafford somewhere he wants to go, and he'll probably agree to an extension or at worst be promised one will be coming soon and he's going to bring a very nice haul.

This really seems like a good move to me from Lions angle.
Agree, plus he is by all accounts about the best teammate and leader a GM could want. It makes perfect sense for a team set up to win now like Indy, Pitt, Washington or San Fran. It also makes a ton of sense for Denver. They have spent so much capital building a dream offense but are missing the most important part. Elway has tried everything at QB and the only thing that worked was going after an older established QB. I can see him trying it again. 

I made a point earlier how hiring a coach can make all a difference for transactions and free agents wanting to go to a place.

Lions got Selah, Watson would want to go to Detroit. Stafford and a 1.7 and 2 would have gotten it done. 
No chance that would get done a done for Watson. He will require 3 firsts at a minimum. Jamaal Adams, a safety (which is the most inconsequential position in football) just got traded for 2 firsts. And why would Houston ever have interest in Stafford. If they end up dealing Watson they would be in full rebuild mode. Stafford does absolutely nothing for them.

Yes, this is crazy. Stafford will pull a first round pick at a minimum. I suspect it will be at least a 1st and a 3rd, maybe a first and a 2nd.
The basic suppy and demand seems to say so IMO. There are just too many teams with QB problems. Yes, the NFL is gaining Lawrence, Fields, Wilson and Lance. It's also likely losing (at least in terms of being trustworthy starters) Cam, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben. Trubisky, Lock Ryan and Carr might be on their last legs. The Rams staff doesn't seem to have much love for Goff. Haskins and Alex Smith ain't it. Darnold might not be either. There's already rumblings the Dolphins don't think Tua is the guy.  I see a lot of places desperate for QB help and minimal relief available for them. 

I think you guys will be up with a nice haul for Stafford. Lots of playoff ready teams (or teams that think they are playoff ready) are in desperate need of a QB upgrade. And the recent success of older QBs is going to embolden some of these GMs to give up more than they might have a few years ago. 

But I think ultimately this sweepstakes will come down to WFT and the Colts. He would be a great fit on both teams. Both teams greatly enhance their chances to make a deep playoff run with him at the helm. I'd bet that WFT will ultimately get it done because they will be willing to overpay like they always do. Add in the fact that they just hired Mayhew as they their GM, and it was almost a given they were going to make a run at Stafford. As a Skins fan I was saying this since they day they hired Mayhew. And even prior to their new front office hires, there was local chatter that the Skins were going to be a big player in the QB market this summer. With Mayhew and Rivera on the same page, you know they won't need to convince Danny Boy Snyder, who is always chasing shiny objects and wanting to make splashy moves. The only question is how much can Detroit shake down from the Skins. I'm assuming the #19 this year is probably already on the table.  Probably an additional 2nd and/or 3rd will be in the package as well.

Another of their best players soured by the franchise. Tragic.

I'm giving Sheila support until she proves otherwise. Have to do this.

Whoopdeedoo. More draft choices for a proven player. Half of first rounders bust. Also have to pick the right QB and have to be in a position to draft him.Hopefully the new GM will make better use of the draft choices than Quinn and Mayhew.

Sad day tbh, but certainly don’t begrudge him at all. Just sad we could never build something reliable around him that give it a fair crack of the whip. He’s a stand up guy, and always represented the city and the team in the best fashion possible. It’s going to be weird not seeing him at the helm. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad day tbh, but certainly don’t begrudge him at all. Just sad we could never build something reliable around him that give it a fair crack of the whip. He’s a stand up guy, and always represented the city and the team in the best fashion possible. It’s going to be weird not seeing him at the helm. 
Half the reason we couldn’t was because we were saddled with contracts before the slotted rookie scale. Stafford, megaton, and suh were costing a ton and snowballed as we reworked contracts to lower that cap hit but kept kicking the can down the road. We finally got Calvin off the books this year. Now we’ll have 20 million a year in dead money the next two years. We seriously need to consider dropping salary for 2 years and trade picks back to get more while we reset our cap situation. 
It took years to recover from Millen. Mayhew and Caldwell were a competent group but frustrated fans want a playoff win (lest we forget the stolen playoff win from the take back penalty). So we get Quinn, and eventually Patricia, who purged the talent on the roster because it didn’t fit the scheme or whatever, and now have been set back once again with their ineptness. 
Hope the new regime drafts and RETAINS good talent.

Good points.

Not trying to deflect sports but hang with me for the point at the end. But since its a Detroit thread, this is the same with why the Red Wings failures with past contracts on the books. I noticed Zetterberg is still on the books this year, huh? 7.5% of the cap on a guy not even on the team. Good lord. Now that Yzerman has the team, there is only one player contracted thru 2023. A single player. A total rework and rebuild be defintion setting up for a great run in a few years if Stevie works the contracts right and makes good signing which history shows he does. I say that to show sometimes contracts can destroy teams which goes back to this teams front office and owners ship just not knowing anything about how to work the cap. But if they do happen to get the right guys in place things can change.

My feeling is, Holmes and Campbell are not those guys as this was a decision by Stafford in most part to save the team from itself. 
Let’s face it- Kelly stafford is ready to move on. That’s as much a driving force here as anything. 

As far as the wings go, they too found themselves with untenable contracts and bad cap situations. Mike Illitch was willing to spend, there wasn’t a salary cap. Compared to the Tigers it was much cheaper and easier to build the Wings into perennial contenders. Salary cap came in and the team hasn’t been the same since, because their contract situation was suddenly an issue. It was at that point Illitch started spending in on the Tigers and had a window to win that sadly didn’t materialize. 

Detroit isn’t a place millionaires desire to move to.  It’s hard to lure free agents, and it’s hard to retain drafted talent. The struggles of the organization just compound that. While I am glad Stafford might get a chance to win somewhere else, it will sting if he makes a deep playoff run with another team while we suck it up another 2-3 years. 

I think you guys will be up with a nice haul for Stafford. Lots of playoff ready teams (or teams that think they are playoff ready) are in desperate need of a QB upgrade.
Which teams fit this description?

Some of these are stretches, but the only ones I'd think would be interested at all are:

New England
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Denver
Washington
Chicago
New Orleans
Los Angeles (R)
San Francisco

Which teams fit this description?

Some of these are stretches, but the only ones I'd think would be interested at all are:

New England
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Denver
Washington
Chicago
New Orleans
Los Angeles (R)
San Francisco
I posted this in the Steelers thread after they signed Haskins.

------------------------------

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

Legitimate starting QB prospects (my rank):

1. Lawrence (#1 overall)
  2. Wilson (#7)
  3. Lance (#11)
  4. Fields (#12)
  5. Trask (#35)
  6. Jones (#45)
Marcus Mosher@Marcus_Mosher

I really think we are going to see four quarterbacks drafted inside the top-8 picks and five in the top-15.

----------------------------------

Free agents w/starting exp:

• Dak Prescott (franchise tag)
  • Jacoby Brissett
  • Mitchell Trubisky
  • Tyrod Taylor Andy
  • Dalton
  • Cam Newton
  • Jameis Winston

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout Jan 20

Supply vs. Demand at the QB position is always insane, but this year is absolutely wild. A thread.

Teams that may replace starting QB:

• Jets
  • Panthers
  • Broncos
  • 49ers
  • Rams
Teams that need a starter within 1-2 years due to age or play:

• Jaguars
  • Falcons
  • Lions
  • Patriots
  • Washington
  • Chicago
  • Colts
  • Steelers
  • Saints
  • Buccaneers
Ross Tucker@RossTuckerNFL

Teams with legitimate quarterback questions for 2021: -NO -PIT -IND -LAR -MIA? -CHI -NE -WASH -DAL? -SF -CAR -DEN -DET -PHI -HOU -NYJ -JAX? 17!

More than half the league has some level of uncertainty.

That might be a record.

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

You can quickly see how the draftable quarterbacks will be gone very early in Round 1.

The connection of need vs. available talent will leave multiple teams without good options at the position.

-------------------------------------

Detroit was viewed as a team that would need a starter within 2 years so moving on now where over half of the league needs a starter and when Stafford has enough value to trade might be turn out to be the optimal outcome if...

You can move-up and draft a young QB who turns into a franchise QB while at the same time get out from under Stafford's cap hit.  

It would help a great deal if the new HC turns into a keeper as well.  

You 'may' not have to move-up but if you like a guy and aren't sure he will fall and 'can' move-up for a 'reasonable' price then don't hesitate, do it.

How many highly productive years does Stafford still have - 2 to 4 ?  If you're close, you need to go after someone like him.  If you're not, then does going the draft route seem more reasonable?

How many highly productive years does Stafford still have - 2 to 4 ?  If you're close, you need to go after someone like him.  If you're not, then does going the draft route seem more reasonable?
He's taken...a lot of hits. And played through injuries many (most?) wouldn't. I'm not going to prognosticate a timeline, but while they don't come any tougher than him I think it's reasonable to expect him to decline sooner than the game's current elder statesmen. 

The game has changed quite a bit as well.   With all the new rules about hitting QBs pocket passers can play longer and still be productive. Stafford should be able to play at least 3 years at the level he is at now and maybe 4-5 if he wants.  That is the window for most teams to win the big one anyway.

Teams that have talent but need a QB.   Indy for sure, 49ers, Dallas, The Football Team, Pats, Broncos.  Mayhew was just hired by the team and he drafted Stafford so they are in the mix.

He's taken...a lot of hits. And played through injuries many (most?) wouldn't. I'm not going to prognosticate a timeline, but while they don't come any tougher than him I think it's reasonable to expect him to decline sooner than the game's current elder statesmen. 
Great point - Brady and Brees are outliers, not the norm

Huh? That’s great news. He’s very much responsible for building the Packers team that won a SB with Rodgers, the current Chiefs team and the current Browns team. I’m sure he’s here specifically to help select the next QB and his track record is quite good.
I don't know much about Holmes beyond what I read this week, but him paired with Dorsey is oil-and-water. Dorsey is a dinosaur. Holmes' analytical approach will mesh horribly with Dorsey. Similarly, even if one takes the positive spin approach to Campbell (I'm not) then him being paired with Lynn's run-run-pass philosophy is a dead end anyway. 

Sorry, this week has been a disaster.

I hope Lions would do square on Stafford by trading him one of the contending teams (i.e. Indianapolis Colts).   This guy literally bleed sweats and tears with Lions in past years. 

First they had too little experience, now I guess they have too much.
For me, that's not it; it's the sum of the ingredients. I love chili. I love sushi. I love lasagna. I don't want them all in the same pot though.

I don't know much about Campbell and Holmes. I had some familiarity with Campbell, but the level of meathead had escaped me. NTTAWT, meathead's have a place in football. And if that's going to be his approach, but he coaches smart then that's something that can work. But then he's paired with a run-run-pass offensive coordinator. WAT. I had much less familiarity with Holmes before last week, but from what I gleaned advanced analytics is the narrative that began to develop in my head. This is a great thing. And then he's paired with John Dorsey. WAT. The same guy that threw his analytics materials in the garbage while he insulated himself in his comfortable football guys bubble.

Bad teams stay bad until all facets of the team start going in the same direction and there's no reason to expect that to happen with these people at the top of the org chart. I feel terrible for you guys.

For me, that's not it; it's the sum of the ingredients. I love chili. I love sushi. I love lasagna. I don't want them all in the same pot though.

I don't know much about Campbell and Holmes. I had some familiarity with Campbell, but the level of meathead had escaped me. NTTAWT, meathead's have a place in football. And if that's going to be his approach, but he coaches smart then that's something that can work. But then he's paired with a run-run-pass offensive coordinator. WAT. I had much less familiarity with Holmes before last week, but from what I gleaned advanced analytics is the narrative that began to develop in my head. This is a great thing. And then he's paired with John Dorsey. WAT. The same guy that threw his analytics materials in the garbage while he insulated himself in his comfortable football guys bubble.

Bad teams stay bad until all facets of the team start going in the same direction and there's no reason to expect that to happen with these people at the top of the org chart. I feel terrible for you guys.
Go lions :bag:

The Lynn signing really does worry me. I am with you on that. Dorsey doesn’t so long as the ownership fully supports Holmes. If one is smart, I think they take into account way more than just analytics. There’s a place for human old school evaluations. I think Dorsey has an eye for talent- especially offensive talent. If Holmes is able to use his methods while also taking input from Dorsey to confirm or challenge his conclusions, it can strengthen the process. This is especially true at QB where the evaluation is probably the toughest in pro sports and the most important. The issue could arise if Dorsey tries to go over the top of Holmes and we get a power struggle. I do agree that could be a huge problem and the Lions have collected a lot of big personalities that could conflict. 

Ilov80s said:
The Lynn signing really does worry me. I am with you on that. Dorsey doesn’t so long as the ownership fully supports Holmes. If one is smart, I think they take into account way more than just analytics. There’s a place for human old school evaluations. I think Dorsey has an eye for talent- especially offensive talent. If Holmes is able to use his methods while also taking input from Dorsey to confirm or challenge his conclusions, it can strengthen the process. This is especially true at QB where the evaluation is probably the toughest in pro sports and the most important. The issue could arise if Dorsey tries to go over the top of Holmes and we get a power struggle. I do agree that could be a huge problem and the Lions have collected a lot of big personalities that could conflict. 
Lynn does not strike me as an offensive innovator or guru.  From what I have read about Dorsey is that he is great at spotting talent but no so good at the other aspects of being a GM.   

Seems like the approach they are taking is that the sum is greater than it's parts.  All of these guys bring something a little different to the table, if they can get them to mesh then that is great, if they can't there is going to be dysfunction.  The Lions don't have to track record to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this does seem to be a different approach to what they've done in the past so it should be good :popcorn: at least.

The basic suppy and demand seems to say so IMO. There are just too many teams with QB problems. Yes, the NFL is gaining Lawrence, Fields, Wilson and Lance. It's also likely losing (at least in terms of being trustworthy starters) Cam, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben. Trubisky, Lock Ryan and Carr might be on their last legs. The Rams staff doesn't seem to have much love for Goff. Haskins and Alex Smith ain't it. Darnold might not be either. There's already rumblings the Dolphins don't think Tua is the guy.  I see a lot of places desperate for QB help and minimal relief available for them. 
This almost makes me wonder if we should keep Stafford lol. After holding him while 15 HOF QBs were in their prime, we're dealing him now when he's one of the last few good QBs left in the league. 

Stafford was by far the best QB the Lions have had in my lifetime and hope he ends up somewhere he can win and play meaningful games. Its a shame this dysfunctional team wasted his best years by failing to build a legitimate team around him for most of his time here. A big part of that was because we had to pay our rookies a #### ton of money because we were always picking in the top 10 year after year after year. Toss in mostly terrible drafting and bad free agent signings and this is what you get.

If only Matt had asked for a trade before the last draft or they took 1 of the QBs instead of Okuda, we'd be in a much better situation than we are today.

Matt Stafford still has not said anything but as usual Kelly Stafford confirmed they are gone. I will miss Kellys insightful tweets.

kbstafford89

Verified

Thank you. This place, our home, the people... it’s hard to find the words to explain what this place means to me. Random tears come very often when I think about not being here. This place supported me during the toughest time of my life and during the happiest times and I want to thank y’all in the right way.
Whenever I figure out what the future holds, you’ll be hearing from me again with a thank you that hopefully shows how much gratitude and love I have for this place.. but until then we are going to enjoy our time left in Michigan to the fullest because there really is no other place like it. #detroitvseverybody #staffordstrong

Matt Stafford still has not said anything but as usual Kelly Stafford confirmed they are gone. I will miss Kellys insightful tweets.

kbstafford89

Verified

Thank you. This place, our home, the people... it’s hard to find the words to explain what this place means to me. Random tears come very often when I think about not being here. This place supported me during the toughest time of my life and during the happiest times and I want to thank y’all in the right way.
Whenever I figure out what the future holds, you’ll be hearing from me again with a thank you that hopefully shows how much gratitude and love I have for this place.. but until then we are going to enjoy our time left in Michigan to the fullest because there really is no other place like it. #detroitvseverybody #staffordstrong
Indy has many malls but not many lakes. Perfect spot for her and the kids.

This almost makes me wonder if we should keep Stafford lol. After holding him while 15 HOF QBs were in their prime, we're dealing him now when he's one of the last few good QBs left in the league. 
And now Rodgers seems to be hinting at retirement. Luckily we are in position to land one of the top 4 QB prospects.

Stafford was by far the best QB the Lions have had in my lifetime and hope he ends up somewhere he can win and play meaningful games. Its a shame this dysfunctional team wasted his best years by failing to build a legitimate team around him for most of his time here. A big part of that was because we had to pay our rookies a #### ton of money because we were always picking in the top 10 year after year after year. Toss in mostly terrible drafting and bad free agent signings and this is what you get.

If only Matt had asked for a trade before the last draft or they took 1 of the QBs instead of Okuda, we'd be in a much better situation than we are today.
Maybe. Would they have taken Herbert over Tua? I’m not sure they make that move. I am also not sold on Tua yet. He looks like he has a pretty weak arm. I’m fine taking my shot on Fields, Lance or Wilson this year.

Users who are viewing this thread