What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (8 Viewers)

Whats the deal with your D this year? Legit? or has it just been a good start?

Educate me please.
good front 7, Slay is the only guy in the secondary worth a darn.

Tulloch doing the discount double check is a huge blow.

Should be decent points coming up against NYJ,Buff and Minny
Whats different from last year? I would imagine different DC, but I haven't followed them much. Just know they shut down two teams but laid an egg against the Panthers for some reason.

BobbyLayne said:
This post seems a bit too rational and displays am optimism not commonly found in true die hard long time Lions fans.

Are you

1) very young,

2) a recent immigrant from another land,

3) trolling because it was a slow day at reddit?

TIA
I'm pretty sure you started a thread a couple years ago about finding a new team to root for because you were done with the Lions.

BobbyLayne said:
This post seems a bit too rational and displays am optimism not commonly found in true die hard long time Lions fans.

Are you

1) very young,

2) a recent immigrant from another land,

3) trolling because it was a slow day at reddit?

TIA
I'm pretty sure you started a thread a couple years ago about finding a new team to root for because you were done with the Lions.
correct

Educate me please.

Whats different from last year? I would imagine different DC, but I haven't followed them much. Just know they shut down two teams but laid an egg against the Panthers for some reason.
I don't know if I would say the defense laid an egg against Carolina. They shut down the run game. Newton did sustain three long drives against them but they got five sacks.

Philosophically this is a completely different defensive scheme. The only real common point is they're still in a 4-3.

• 4-3 under (similar formation to Seattle) replaced the Wide 9
  • designated DEs instead of interchangeable
  • FS/SS designations versus two deep safeties under Schwartz/Cunningham
  • more blitzing (the Lions had the fewest blitzes of any team last year)
  • personnel based instead of scheme based
  • roles are defined according to the actual player's strengths
  • much greater emphasis on communication and adjustment versus staying within in the scheme
With the old regime guys who were a DE or a S every role and the emphasis was on their role within the scheme. The new regime has installed a much more aggressive defense that emphasizes individuals making plays. They may not have the athletes to be a top level defense at the moment, but the defensive front four covers a multitude of sins.

Educate me please.

I don't know if I would say the defense laid an egg against Carolina. They shut down the run game. Newton did sustain three long drives against them but they got five sacks.

Philosophically this is a completely different defensive scheme. The only real common point is they're still in a 4-3.

• much greater emphasis on communication and adjustment versus staying within in the scheme
With the old regime guys who were a DE or a S every role and the emphasis was on their role within the scheme. The new regime has installed a much more aggressive defense that emphasizes individuals making plays. They may not have the athletes to be a top level defense at the moment, but the defensive front four covers a multitude of sins.
Darius Slay can actually play.

SUH/Fairley playing for contracts

DeAndre Levy is a stud

Educate me please.

DeAndre Levy is a stud
It's like night and day - he was lost last year, very solid this year.

Educate me please.

DeAndre Levy is a stud
It's like night and day - he was lost last year, very solid this year.
Makes me wonder if Jim Schwartz coached at all? or did he just rah rah guys

However Slay was a rookie last year so its not a surprise for rookies to struggle.

Pretty sure Slay was beginning to take a gentle upward turn at the end of last season, but yeah, the new coaching team are hopefully going to be doing a much much better job in making sure players realise their potential.

Leroy Hoard said:
TartanLion said:
I'm 32 from Glasgow Scotland, have followed the Lions since I was 8 years old and have been to Detroit on holiday before to see Tigers and Lions games. I even have an old English D tattoo. And yes I may be slightly insane.

Had a great time in your city on a sports watching bar drinking holiday with my bro and met many amazingly friendly and warm people along the way.
Welcome to The Lions Den. Please forgive us older fans for being so cynical, we have been thru a lot with this team over the years.
Nonsense. I'm eternally optimistic.

:oldunsure:

Usually.

Educate me please.

Part of it has to be the HC. Many Detroit fans didn't want Caldwell but I thought it was a solid hire.

Ziggy is healthy. Suh seems focused and the new staff got through to Fairley. The announcers said the last regime yelled at him and threw things at him. He didn't respond. One of the first things Caldwell did was sit down and talk to Nick. It seems like the old staff may not have realized that some players don't respond to the in your face tough guy routine.

Levy continues to be very underrated. He's a beast against the run and might be the best pass coverage LB out there. He gets overlooked because he isn't a pass rush OLB.

So... We gonna do it today ?

A lot of logical signs would point to yes. Which is when we usually screw up.

Big marker for the new management today, if we can pull out an important road win when we are fancied to do so

The Lions were 3-1 a year ago as well. The defense, despite injuries, is much better. The run game is worse. Tate III is a complete tool but he is a nice complimentary weapon. Good to see Ebron involved more yesterday.

The Lions were 3-1 a year ago as well. The defense, despite injuries, is much better. The run game is worse. Tate III is a complete tool but he is a nice complimentary weapon. Good to see Ebron involved more yesterday.
why is tate a tool?

He was worth every penny
Good player, glad he's on the team.

I don't care for his on field demeanor - celebrates a FD like he just won the Super Bowl - and I'll probably always dislike him for the cheap shot he took on Sean Lee. But he's definitely productive.

3-1 is nothing to sneeze at, like BL said the D has improved despite injuries. Good hires defensively by Caldwell.
Yes/no. I was going nuts on that first drive - it was so friggin' obvious and we never adjusted. Jets would line up in heavy set (3 TEs), and we're in our base D with 6-7 men in the box. It was simple arithmetic - Ivory was gouging us because they had more blockers than defenders. I couldn't believe we failed to adjusted.

Thankfully, too clever by half Mornhinweg (Jets OC) never went back to it after that first drive. The Jets six straight 3 and outs were as much horrible play calling as it was the Lions D. But no doubt, give the front 7 credit - they still had to make plays. Whitehead was outstanding, which is quite surprising how little he has played on D (mostly special teamer). That front four is fantastic.

Very sad to see someone injured but it's still funny. Almost as funny as that kicker celebrating himself to IR.

I'd like to start today's notebook off with an apology to running back George Winn for interrupting his nap.

You see, just about every day when the locker room opens to the media, reporters walk in and find Winn spread out in front of his locker with a sweatshirt or towel over his head taking a nap before practice.

This is a daily occurrence and no one really bothers him because practice squad players aren't usually high on reporters' list of players they want to talk to in the 45-minute session.

Unfortunately for him, and his nap schedule, there were things to talk about on Wednesday, particularly his promotion to the 53-man roster Tuesday afternoon.

So, Winn got up, grabbed a seat on his stool and let reporters fire questions at him for six or seven minutes.

I'm getting up around 5 or 6 a.m. to get here on time and get situated so I like to get that extra nap in to make sure I'm ready for practice, Winn said. It's about a 30-minute nap.

Winn is currently living with his parents in West Bloomfield and the commute to Allen Park is around 40 minutes each morning.

Save my money, man, Winn said when asked about living with his parents. I knew how last season went with me bouncing around (from Raiders, Steelers and Cowboys practice squads), so I didn't want to get caught up with a lease or have to worry about what I was going to do with my furniture or anything like that. So I thought I'd stay home for the first six or seven weeks."

But what about now that he's on the 53-man roster and that paycheck has taken a giant tick upward?

Now I can consider moving out, Winn said with a laugh.

As for what Winn brings to the table on Sunday vs. Buffalo, it's a hard-nosed running style that can pick up tough yards.

I think he's a guy that's up for the task, head coach Jim Caldwell said when asked if Winn would play this week. He worked extremely hard obviously during preseason, was able to come in, do some good things. We think he's progressed since then so I do believe if called upon he certainly can help us.

Running back Joique Bell is dealing with a head injury (did not practice Wednesday) and the team placed Montell Owens on injured reserve Tuesday afternoon.

Winn, who grew up in Southfield, said he's excited to make his NFL debut in Detroit and his ticket requests have gone through the roof this week.

When Winn was done answering every question reporters had for him, he pushed his stool aside and went back to sleep.

5 W vs Bills

6 W at Vikings

7 W vs Saints

8 L at Falcons

9 Bye

10 W vs Dolphins

11 L at Cardinals

12 L at Patriots

13 W vs Bears

14 W vs Buccaneers

15 W vs Vikings

16 L at Bears

Looks like 10-6 with possibilities of 9-7 or 11-5. Obviously can go worse but just decided to look at the schedule and see the matchups since I am trying to acquire Tate and make someone reasonable projections. Looks like some easy wins and only a few tough teams. Not he biggest Lions fan but would love to see this team reach consistent success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry Curl said:
Not quite the same, but close enough?

Let sleeping dogs lie or Griese will trip on them:

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/let-sleeping-dogs-lie-or-griese-will-trip-them

Forget concussions, the real menace to NFL players health is man's best friend!

Jerry Curl said:
5 W vs Bills

6 W at Vikings

7 W vs Saints

8 L at Falcons

9 Bye

10 W vs Dolphins

11 L at Cardinals

12 L at Patriots

13 W vs Bears

14 W vs Buccaneers

15 W vs Vikings

16 L at Bears

Looks like 10-6 with possibilities of 9-7 or 11-5. Obviously can go worse but just decided to look at the schedule and see the matchups since I am trying to acquire Tate and make someone reasonable projections. Looks like some easy wins and only a few tough teams. Not he biggest Lions fan but would love to see this team reach consistent success.
That game against Atlanta is at Wembley which makes it more winnable, imo. Neutral ground, and I fancy our D as better than theirs. Not a big fan of the whole Wembley games idea, but I'll certainly be there willing the Lions on to win

5 W vs Bills

6 W at Vikings

7 W vs Saints

8 L at Falcons

9 Bye

10 W vs Dolphins

11 L at Cardinals

12 L at Patriots

13 W vs Bears

14 W vs Buccaneers

15 W vs Vikings

16 L at Bears

That game against Atlanta is at Wembley which makes it more winnable, imo. Neutral ground, and I fancy our D as better than theirs. Not a big fan of the whole Wembley games idea, but I'll certainly be there willing the Lions on to win
A bit off topic here, but with the the push to locate a team in the U.K. by 2022, I'm curious to know more about the fan base. By way of example, here in NYC you can find various bars that cater to particular team. In my neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen), there is a Steelers pub. You can go around the city and a number of EPL bars packed on Saturday mornings. When I went to the Atsenal - Red Bulls friendly this summer, there were way more Gunners jersey in the arena. How popular is the NFL there? Have you attended NFL games in London before?

NFL has always had a loyal following in the UK. There has definitely been certain peaks and troughs that I have noted, and they have usually been relative to the ease of accessing footage of games. Back when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s, one of our network channels, Channel 4, showed games every Sunday for instance. The popularity of the NFL has been steadily on the rise, imo, in recent years. Much like you feel a certain small sense of annoyance when that under appreciated little known band you love makes it big and attracts a whole new host of fans ; its current popularity slightly rankles with me when I watch Sky Sports showing footage of bars in London having Superbowl parties with celebrity Z listers being interviewed and a growing mass of young hipsters, art school, indy types that usually hate any sport, tagging on cause they've decided its the 'in' cool sport to get into to be different. I am by no means a jock frowning upon those types, just someone who has always played and loved a lot of sports at the same time as being in various creative industries of that ilk. Anyways, bit of a tangent there, apologies.

All in all, its a good thing that it now has extensive programming on cable and that its popularity is on the rise. Sky Sports show TNF, 2 live games back to back on the Sunday with the option of red zone being on instead, with CH4 the network channel showing the late Sunday game. Sky also show MNF. Personally, I just use NFL gamepass which allows me to watch any Lions game thats not on tv, and all the extra #### that comes with Gamepass.

Most UK NFL fans already support an NFL team. They would not suddenly switch allegiance to a London team, imo. I'm sure they'd always manage to fill the stadium with people willing to cheer on the team, however. A Broncos supporting Londoner would most likely go along to cheer on a London team on a regular basis as long as they weren't playing the Broncos for instance. Personally, I have no real interest in a London team and think it would be very hard to make work from several logistical points of view. I've also never been to any Wembley games because I just don't really like the idea of it. I'd rather wait, save money and go to a game in the US. American Football should stay in the US, imo. I love the sport as it is, I love that it is something different and I'm a Lions fan that wants to see Lions games in Detroit.

Much like you noted more Arsenal shirts than Red Bull ones at the game you went to, people will buy into and get into a quality product first and foremost. They will pick a team for any one of a myriad of reasons ( the worst by far being simply picking the best team at the time, of course. Better known as glory hunters ). US soccers fans will watch the PL and develop emotions towards a PL team and be more into that, than your lower grade domestic football league. Likewise, American football fans here will mainly watch NFL and follow an NFL team, rather than getting out there and going down to watch and follow your local British college team, or British league team.

I am going to the Lions Wembley game because its the Lions basically. Can't not do it. Will have a great time no doubt

That's cool, sounds a lot like soccer here. How did you end up rooting for the Lions? Sorry if you already answered.
I've got extensive family in Washington state. When they visited Scotland in the late 80s ( I was around 8 ), they brought with them a hardcover NFL guide book to the game and all the teams in the league. As soon as I saw the Lion helmet that was me. From that point on it grew into a love of the Red Wings ( healthy interest in hockey as I've played field hockey all my life ) and Tigers and a general growing interest in the creative culture of the city and everything about. I have visited the city on two occasions now. A love of city's sports teams basically caused me to have a strange love of the city in general.

That's cool, sounds a lot like soccer here. How did you end up rooting for the Lions? Sorry if you already answered.
I've got extensive family in Washington state. When they visited Scotland in the late 80s ( I was around 8 ), they brought with them a hardcover NFL guide book to the game and all the teams in the league. As soon as I saw the Lion helmet that was me. From that point on it grew into a love of the Red Wings ( healthy interest in hockey as I've played field hockey all my life ) and Tigers and a general growing interest in the creative culture of the city and everything about. I have visited the city on two occasions now. A love of city's sports teams basically caused me to have a strange love of the city in general.
You have to admit that for all the team ups and downs, those are 3 pretty cool logos.

Much like you feel a certain small sense of annoyance when that under appreciated little known band you love makes it big and attracts a whole new host of fans ; its current popularity slightly rankles with me when I watch Sky Sports showing footage of bars in London having Superbowl parties with celebrity Z listers being interviewed and a growing mass of young hipsters, art school, indy types that usually hate any sport, tagging on cause they've decided its the 'in' cool sport to get into to be different.
This is funny cause it's the exact same thing here, except with the sports reversed. Lots of hipster soccer fans. I assumed they maybe preferred the aesthetics of the beautiful game to the bone-crunching hits of the NFL, but I think I was giving them too much credit. They're just looking for something to be pretentious about.

You have to admit that for all the team ups and downs, those are 3 pretty cool logos.
You can say what you want about Detroit and Michigan, but the sports teams (college and pro) all look good. It hasn't always carried over to their play though.

A look at the matchups for Detroit's game Sunday against the Buffalo Bills:

Detroit Lions offense vs. Buffalo Bills defense

Few can claim to possess a defensive tackle tandem that stacks up with Detroit's duo of Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley, but the Bills are one of those teams.

Pro Bowlers Kyle Williams (who is doubtful with a knee injury) and Marcell Dareus anchor a formidable front on the inside. On the edges, Buffalo has $100-million-man Mario Williams and underrated and explosive Jerry Hughes. The group enters the contest fourth in the league with 11 sacks, all while holding opponents to 2.9 yards per carry on the ground.

On the back end, Leodis McKelvin and Corey Graham are a play-making tandem, recording three picks and nine pass defenses in the first four weeks.

Healthy, Detroit's offense probably holds a more significant edge, but star wide receiver Calvin Johnson remains gimpy with an ankle injury and power back Joique Bell isn't expected to play with a concussion.

The Lions have moved the ball on every defense they've faced, it's just a mater of limiting turnovers and capitalizing on opportunities. Buffalo counters with a red zone defense allowing touchdowns on just 50 percent of trips.

Edge: Lions

Detroit Lions defense vs. Buffalo Bills offense

The Bills have some ultra-talented skill players, starting with running backs Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller. Jackson, the NFL's oldest running back, is still as tough as anyone to bring down between the tackles, while Spiller's lethal speed makes him capable of scoring from anywhere on the field.

Buffalo invested heavily in their receiving corps this offseason, trading up in the draft for Sammy Watkins and sending a sixth-round selection to the Bucs for Mike Williams. The Lions secondary must be sharp defending all depths, from bubble screens to bombs.

But all the weapons in the world can be negated by subpar quarterback play and the Bills are trotting out veteran Kyle Orton for this one, his first start since signing with the team at the end of September. He's 4-0 against the Lions in his career, but this is a vastly different defense than he's faced in years past, a No. 1-ranked defense to be exact.

The Bills offensive line allowed recently demoted signal-caller E.J. Manuel to get popped behind the line of scrimmage 16 times last week. With the notably less mobile Orton taking the snaps, Detroit's front seven should have some opportunities to tee off.

Special teams

The Bills special teams are playing well coming into this contest. Kicker Dan Carpenter has made 10 of his 11 field goal attempts, the team's coverage units have compensated for punter Colton Schmidt's below-average leg strength, plus Spiller and McKelvin are both capable of taking taking a kick back to the house.

Detroit's special teams have also played well, particularly Sam Martin, who is averaging more than 50 yards per punt. The placekicking situation is still a little shaky, with Alex Henery slipping and badly missing one of his two attempts during his Lions debut last week.

Edge: Bills

Coaching

Jim Caldwell and crew have passed the initial test, leading the Lions to a 3-1 mark at the quarter point of the season. The penalties are down, the turnovers trimmed and the team has overcome the adversity of every early injury to lead the NFL in total defense, while closing out all three victories with a power running game in the closing minutes.

Buffalo's staff has made some questionable decisions with its young talent, including the benching of Manuel and the criminal under-utilization of Spiller. But at 2-2, the Bills share first place in the AFC East, in large part to the disruptive defense led by former Lions coach Jim Schwartz.

Intangibles

An intriguing matchup, with Schwartz preparing Buffalo's defense to stop a roster he's intimately familiar with after five season in Detroit. While the Lions' scheme is unquestionably different, Schwartz will have an understanding of individual strengths and weaknesses he can use to his advantage.

Both teams are banged up. Johnson won't be 100 percent, Bell won't play, but Kyle Williams' absence will be the biggest blow for either team.

Of course the biggest advantage for Detroit is having this one under the dome at Ford Field, where the fans can disrupt communication for Orton in his first start for Buffalo.

We got Waddle back this week which should help. Williams out for them, and Waddle in for us is a nice swing in our direction. Carey back as well.

Really hope our O piles on the points against Schwartz and sticks it to him.

We got Waddle back this week which should help. Williams out for them, and Waddle in for us is a nice swing in our direction. Carey back as well.

Really hope our O piles on the points against Schwartz and sticks it to him.
I was thinking the same thing. A blowout win would be really nice today.

Where are Eddie Murray & Jason Hanson when you need them?

Seriously, Jay Feely or Matt Prater should be kicking by next week.

Matt Prater's first team was the Detroit Lions. UDFA during the 2006 TC & preseason, he bounced around a half dozen teams over the next two years. When Elam went to Atlanta as a FA, Denver signed him. They were impressed enough during 2008 TC they cut his competition before the preseason began.

Absolutely terrible. Unimaginable. No, wait. Not unimaginable at all as this is the Lions. Sadly predicted it would come down to Henery missing a field goal about 50 mins before it happened when the score was 14-6. There's always a new way for the curse to keep hold of us. We sort the defence out, we're managing whilst adapting our O and suffering some injuries so by default it must be our kicking game that becomes the new farce of epic proportions and stops us going 4-1. Even against the Panthers in the other loss it would've been interesting if we'd sunk our field goals.

Worst thing about it was Schwartz claiming the limelight and celebrating at the end. If Henery had sunk his two regulation FG's we could've been 20-6ish up with the game pretty much dead and buried despite the O falling apart and not doing anything.

Potentially falling apart at the seams here.

Wynn looked good at points is the only small scrap of comfort I can find

Absolutely terrible. Unimaginable. No, wait. Not unimaginable at all as this is the Lions. Sadly predicted it would come down to Henery missing a field goal about 50 mins before it happened when the score was 14-6. There's always a new way for the curse to keep hold of us. We sort the defence out, we're managing whilst adapting our O and suffering some injuries so by default it must be our kicking game that becomes the new farce of epic proportions.

Worst thing about it was Schwartz claiming the limelight and celebrating at the end. If Henery had sunk his two regulation FG's we could've been 20-6 up with the game pretty much dead and buried despite the O falling apart and not doing anything.

Potentially falling apart at the seams here.
Some chance still. Get a new kicker and hope the prognosis for johnson & bush is good. Bell should be back.

Hope that the site of jerkface being carried off the field puts a little spark into the team. Needless to say a must win in Minny next week.

Well the offense mostly sucked & the most offensive part of special teams was again offensive. But they still won a fairly easy one on the road. God bless Teddy Bridgewater.

Users who are viewing this thread