What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes? Sutton goes.. (11 Viewers)

Mike O'Hara looks back at the Lions 2013 draft:

http://tinyurl.com/lhf6pp7

Other than Slay (CB) in the 2nd - and he may develope - it was a very good draft. Add in TE Joseph Fauria (7 TDs) and RT LaAdrian Waddle(9 GS) as UDFAs, the Lions got outstanding production from this class.
I give complete credit to Zanders
The dude's name is Xanders.

He did create an in house scouting database - they previously farmed that out to a contractor - but that didn't impact the draft per the post-draft story below.

http://tinyurl.com/p8dql2l

Where I think it did help was identifying which UDFAs they wanted to target.

Other than Slay (CB) in the 2nd - and he may develope - it was a very good draft. Add in TE Joseph Fauria (7 TDs) and RT LaAdrian Waddle(9 GS) as UDFAs, the Lions got outstanding production from this class.
Best draft in a decade after hiring Xanders. Just worried now that Xanders will be hired away as a gm, and we will be stuck with Martin Millen on draft day while Tom Lewand is going through his FF magazine looking for players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Best draft in a decade after hiring Xanders. Just worried now that Xanders will be hired away as a gm, and we will be stuck with Martin Millen on draft day while Tom Lewand is going through his FF magazine looking for players.
Sending Mayhew a RSP subscription today...FBGs allows gift subscriptions, no?

Sounds like sour grapes now but is Denver's D that good to accept being shut out for 3 quarters?
That was some serious head scratching coaching. Whoever the Lions get, they better use Megatron correctly. I want to see 300 passes throw his way.

Sounds like sour grapes now but is Denver's D that good to accept being shut out for 3 quarters?
The really odd thing about that game plan was the blind commitment to the run. Keep in mind they development if that game plan was while their stud RB was wearing a walking boot. I know the run game was critical to their late season success but that was crazy. Did they really think Tolbert/Woodhead was a viable plan B.

I like Caldwell for his meticulous approach; I think Stafford will benefit. Still not sure he's the right HC. I'd rather have a Ross/Coughlin type. They don't need another players coach.

Typical.

Same old Lions.
While Wiz was not a world beater, the fact that the Lions wanted him and couldn't get him with possibly the best opening says a lot about the front office. Bill Ford Needs to fire Lewand and Mayhew now. They just are not getting anything done.

The really odd thing about that game plan was the blind commitment to the run. Keep in mind they development if that game plan was while their stud RB was wearing a walking boot. I know the run game was critical to their late season success but that was crazy. Did they really think Tolbert/Woodhead was a viable plan B.

I like Caldwell for his meticulous approach; I think Stafford will benefit. Still not sure he's the right HC. I'd rather have a Ross/Coughlin type. They don't need another players coach.
I would love to see Caldwell as the OC, I would hate the hire as the HC. Plus the fan base will be totally demoralized. If you watched Caldwell in Indy he really had no say or control of the team. Manning ran that team. And when Manning got hurt Caldwell was 2-14. The Lions will walk all over Caldwell. There are already rumors that Wiz really was not that impressed with Stafford, and the Lions are married to Stafford for the next 4-5 years due to his contract.

At this point I'd rather go after McDaniels than hire Munchak or Caldwell. Take a risk on someone with upside, who had a chance to learn from his mistakes, rather than some boring retread like Caldwell or an OLine coach with no offensive savvy like Munchak.

Lions are pathetic.

At this point I'd rather go after McDaniels than hire Munchak or Caldwell. Take a risk on someone with upside, who had a chance to learn from his mistakes, rather than some boring retread like Caldwell or an OLine coach with no offensive savvy like Munchak.

Lions are pathetic.
Mcdaniels is a retread too, no thanks

Sweep in and take Mike Zimmer from the Vikings
This needs to happen.

We need some discipline here, Zimmer bring that. Don't want anything to do with Caldwell as it seems he will suck on Staffords butt-cheeks and enable him to continue his poor work ethic and suckage.

I don't know much about Munchak, but I still don't want him.

For me it's Zimmer, and since that's unlikely, this may be my last year as a fan. I will have no problem jumping on the bandwagon if they hit on a coach, but I've put 20+ faithful years with these turds and I just can't take this anymore!!

Schwartz should have been gone week 15 so they could start the process...hell, I'd welcome back that Schwartz doosh over the 2 leading candidates right now.

I feel angry.

I don't know what kind of head coach he'll be, but he was my first thought too. Then find some young genius OC/QB guru to run the offense and develop Stafford. I'll take Zimmer and everything he brings to the table over any of these other guys, even with their head coaching experience.

I think what the Lions have missed more than anything else -- even more than a real, true franchise QB -- is a leader. They need a Parcells. A Belicheck. A Cowher or a Holmgren. A Reid or a Coughlin. As a fan it just never feels like anyone is quite in charge. Ford, Sr. is a figurehead, but his presence alone gives off just enough influence to keep Ford, Jr. from being in control. Mayhew has done a pretty nice job evaluating talent but nobody is looking to him as the guy in charge. (The same statement holds true for Millen, too, except for the "pretty nice job evaluating talent" part.) Lewand is, well, Lewand. How he's hung around to continue to have any say in the football operations is a testament to the limitless buffoonery that is the Fords' willingess to hoist themselves upon their own petard in the name of loyalty. Into this mix you throw a succession of coaches who every player knows is nothing more than the next guy who's going to be handed a cigarette and blindfold by the crazy old goon being driven around the practice field in a golf cart shaped like a Ford Mustang.

Other than all that I'm pretty optimistic for the future.

This needs to happen.We need some discipline here, Zimmer bring that. Don't want anything to do with Caldwell as it seems he will suck on Staffords butt-cheeks and enable him to continue his poor work ethic and suckage.

For me it's Zimmer, and since that's unlikely, this may be my last year as a fan. I will have no problem jumping on the bandwagon if they hit on a coach, but I've put 20+ faithful years with these turds and I just can't take this anymore!!

Schwartz should have been gone week 15 so they could start the process...hell, I'd welcome back that Schwartz doosh over the 2 leading candidates right now.

I feel angry.
As hard as try to be level headed about it, I'm angry as well...as misguided as that may be. I'm mostly angry at myself for hanging on year after year. So frustrating to be a fan of this team. I find it interesting that Wiz chose, what I understand to be, a less stable front office situation over his former teammate who he's known for 25 years. To me that says a lot about Martin Mayhew.

I can't stand that arrogant #####.

The Captain said:
Ray Barboni said:
The Captain said:
This needs to happen.We need some discipline here, Zimmer bring that. Don't want anything to do with Caldwell as it seems he will suck on Staffords butt-cheeks and enable him to continue his poor work ethic and suckage.

I feel angry.
As hard as try to be level headed about it, I'm angry as well...as misguided as that may be. I'm mostly angry at myself for hanging on year after year. So frustrating to be a fan of this team. I find it interesting that Wiz chose, what I understand to be, a less stable front office situation over his former teammate who he's known for 25 years. To me that says a lot about Martin Mayhew.

I can't stand that arrogant #####.
It's Ford Sr. Brohammer...that's the problem. He doesn't mind loosing as long as Ford Feild is packed. He needs to go, Ford Jr. Needs to take control for anything "winning" happens.

Mayhew blows. Proof is in what you just said about Whiz turning the job down...Mayhew needs to be cut loose and let the mastermind Xander run the show.

I feel you brother, I'm so frustrated with this franchise. We have had arguably the two best offensive players in the history of the game in Barry/Calvin...but they continue to punish the talent they get with lackluster management.

Any possibility it was a lifestyle choice, and maybe he just prefers Nashville to Detroit. Maybe TEN sealed the deal with the keys to Graceland?

Maybe he was given more authority over personnel there (not sure exactly what Ruston Webster's role is compared to his DET counterpart). Seemingly, without a clear picture at QB in TEN (possibly Whisenhunt scouted Locker and thinks he can coach him up?), it could be construed as an indictment of Stafford. He is basically fireproof given the recent extension, and that may not appeal to some HC candidates?

Any possibility it was a lifestyle choice, and maybe he just prefers Nashville to Detroit. Maybe TEN sealed the deal with the keys to Graceland?

Maybe he was given more authority over personnel there (not sure exactly what Ruston Webster's role is compared to his DET counterpart). Seemingly, without a clear picture at QB in TEN (possibly Whisenhunt scouted Locker and thinks he can coach him up?), it could be construed as an indictment of Stafford. He is basically fireproof given the recent extension, and that may not appeal to some HC candidates?
As a guy who grew up near Detroit and prefer Nashville, I'd say that's possible. Plus he has ties to the city.

I assume that SF's extended playoff run is what's taken Roman out of the running (Detroit can't afford to wait and get caught holding their d###s in their hands again), but he's the one guy still out there who would get me genuinely excited. Maybe Zimmer, but the fact that he's been repeatedly passed over scares me a bit. Caldwell leaves me about as excited as, well, Caldwell.

Almost anyone but Caldwell would work. Ravens fans are praying he gets a HC job because he's just terrible.

Bag on McDaniel if you like but he probably learned from his time in Denver, and he's very highly thought of around the league. Not saying that is the guy they should hire, but he's a much better choice than Caldwell.

Almost anyone but Caldwell would work. Ravens fans are praying he gets a HC job because he's just terrible.

Bag on McDaniel if you like but he probably learned from his time in Denver, and he's very highly thought of around the league. Not saying that is the guy they should hire, but he's a much better choice than Caldwell.
Never thought of this...

As much as I dislike McD as a coach, I would not be against giving him a shot in Detroit. I'm not saying I "want" him...but I can say without a doubt I DONT want Munchak or Caldwell. McD has blown...but he is interesting as the Lions HC, could bring a fresh new-age style...or...change to the team. Long shot at that happening yes, but I'd take that wildcard over some re-tread vanilla "yes man" type coach.

Anyone that can get control of Stafford and the locker room...that's all I want.

We all know Caldwell is gonna be the coach

No one else will hire him, so if the lions were smart they'd take a step back and reassess their options.

Caldwell can and will wait

There should be no hurry at this point. Wait and assess everyone possible (meaning all those coaches on SF, SEA, NE, and DEN). Munchak, Caldwell, etc will all be there a week, two, or three from now. I'd much rather take a chance on someone younger (like McDaniels) or even a college coach at this point then go the safer route and choose a Caldwell. Caldwell would be the least inspiring hire I could imagine.

Do you think Saban would listen to an offer? Doubtful, but you never know...there are a lot of good pieces in place and he's lived in the area for a while when at MSU.

There should be no hurry at this point. Wait and assess everyone possible (meaning all those coaches on SF, SEA, NE, and DEN). Munchak, Caldwell, etc will all be there a week, two, or three from now. I'd much rather take a chance on someone younger (like McDaniels) or even a college coach at this point then go the safer route and choose a Caldwell. Caldwell would be the least inspiring hire I could imagine.

Do you think Saban would listen to an offer? Doubtful, but you never know...there are a lot of good pieces in place and he's lived in the area for a while when at MSU.
What about Dantonio or Narduzzi?

heck why not try them out instead of just trotting out Caldwell or Munchak or Kubiak

Brian Xanders to interview Tue Jan 14, 09:40 AM

Detroit Lions senior personnel director Brian Xanders will interview for the Miami Dolphins general manager vacancy

What about Dantonio or Narduzzi?

heck why not try them out instead of just trotting out Caldwell or Munchak or Kubiak
Unfortunately, it sounds like the front office is pigeonholing themselves by saying the need an offensive/QB coach with HC experience...instead of choosing the best possible candidate (it's all subjective though). I would love to see Narduzzi come, but he's about the opposite of what they have stated they wanted.

Detroit Lions senior personnel director Brian Xanders will interview for the Miami Dolphins general manager vacancy
Of course. Ford should fire Mayhew immediately and hire this guy before he leaves. The best draft the lions have had in 20 years occurs in Xanders' first year with them. Coincidence?

Of course. Ford should fire Mayhew immediately and hire this guy before he leaves. The best draft the lions have had in 20 years occurs in Xanders' first year with them. Coincidence?
exactly

But we know that wont happen

No one else will hire him, so if the lions were smart they'd take a step back and reassess their options.

Baltimore probably isn't going to retain him as OCord next year, he's that good.

Totally agree. Plus he was very young the first go round. Caldwell is pushing 60. Why is Caldwell even a candidate? No ther team has any interest. Seriously, the only reason that he got the job in Indy is because of Dungy, and the only reason he got an interview in Detroit is because Dungy told the Fords that he is their man. Caldwell was something like 22-60 at Wake Forest and Manning ran the show in Indy.

I would have rather kept Schwartz is this is all they can do. Lovie Smith with a good OC would have been a huge upgrade over Caldwell.

Baltimore probably isn't going to retain him as OCord next year, he's that good.
wasnt he credited with turning around that offense once they fired cam cameron?

Granted I dont like the move to hire him

Now Miami is interviewing Xanders today to be their new GM. So Xanders is as good as gone. Why can`t the Lions be proactive and make Xanders the new GM, or give him a big raise and a VP of operations title? Get Lewands ### out of there.

If the Lions lose Xanders is will be the Martin Millen show again.

Schwartz's teams looked unprepared and he made really bad decisions in-game. I doubt Caldwell will be worse but I think they went cheap here and they went with a guy who is basically a "bridge" coach, instead of hiring a franchise coach. I don't get it.

It appears that the Wiz knew than Xanders was interviewing with Miami and was not comfortable having Mayhew and Lewand providing the talent base. And rightly so.

Users who are viewing this thread