What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes, who goes? (9 Viewers)

Have to get the extension done with Calvin this off-season.

Luke warm on franchising Cliff Avril.

Rumors of Burleson and Corey Williams getting cut.

If Avril stays Vanden Bosch may have to go. Suh, Avril and Fairley will be eating up a good chunk of cash on the d-line.

Looking like Backus will be back, would hate to lose Tulloch. Also heard on the radio yesterday that Calvin is ready to get a new deal done ASAP to help with cap space.

The Lions met with the agent for Backus at the NFL Scouting Combine, who described the general discussion as positive, according to the Detroit Free Press. Backus has been a mainstay at left tackle for 11 seasons, starting a team-record 176 straight games.

Tulloch started all 16 games in his first season in Detroit. According to ProFootballTalk.com, the Lions are still talking to Tulloch's representatives but the sides are not close to getting a deal done.

What kind of contract is Calvin seeking, Larry Fitzgerald-esque+?
Bigger. If he plays out this year and is franchised the next 2,he will have made what Fitzgerald got guaranteed in just 3 years. He is holding all the bargaining chips.

Lions priorities:

1. Sign Calvin to a long term deal that hopefully doesn't cripple the franchise

2. Re-sign Backus. The price is right. To upgrade the LT position would require too much $$$.

3. Sign Tulloch over Avril. I like Avril, but the guy is a bit overvalued right now. He had a great season and can really rush the passer, but I think he benefits a lot from defenses focusing on blocking the middle. In addition, I think Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young could do an alight job replacing Avril. We don't have any depth at LB and would be painted into a corner with FA/draft as we would have to get a LB.

The Detroit News is reporting Avril is likely to be franchised Monday. As for cutting veteran to free up money, I like Burleson and Corey Williams, but with Titus Young, Sammie Lee Hill, and Nick Fairley there is room to part ways with those guys and reinvest that money into the secondary.

Avril will go to the highest bidder, so I think it's time to say goodbye. We have 3 #1 or 2 picks that need to be resigned in the next 2 years and all three will command top $$. It will be easier to find a replacement for Avril than Suh, Calvin and Stafford.

What makes these 3 unique is that their rookie contracts are close to what the top rookies now expect to get in their second contract under the new labor agreement. Suh, Stafford and Calvin will expect raises from their already inflated contracts. If the Lions hope to keep all 3, they have very tough decisions to make and it starts now with Avril. They may franchise him, but I doubt a long term deal gets done. Unless they dont expect to resign Suh, or they expect to build around a lot of veteran minimum contracts at other key positions like OT and CB.

I'm no Cap expert, so I'm probably oversimplifying the situation, but It appears Lewand and Mayhew have their work cut out for them.

Avril will go to the highest bidder, so I think it's time to say goodbye. We have 3 #1 or 2 picks that need to be resigned in the next 2 years and all three will command top $$. It will be easier to find a replacement for Avril than Suh, Calvin and Stafford. What makes these 3 unique is that their rookie contracts are close to what the top rookies now expect to get in their second contract under the new labor agreement. Suh, Stafford and Calvin will expect raises from their already inflated contracts. If the Lions hope to keep all 3, they have very tough decisions to make and it starts now with Avril. They may franchise him, but I doubt a long term deal gets done. Unless they dont expect to resign Suh, or they expect to build around a lot of veteran minimum contracts at other key positions like OT and CB.I'm no Cap expert, so I'm probably oversimplifying the situation, but It appears Lewand and Mayhew have their work cut out for them.
Stafford signed a 6 year rookie deal, Suh was signed for 5 years. So they both have three years left before their deals are up.

Any chance Det could manipulate the cap and sign Nicks, G from NO?
Would be great - just dont see it happening. They have not put a lot of emphasis on the oline over the years and I do not see that changing dramatically. Signing Tulloch will be key. Letting Avril walk is also key - would hate to see them ink him to a huge deal. I think any mediocre talent can benefit from the beef on the inside of the line - on top of that he is a liability versus the run.

Cliff should go. He is not worth the price. The line makes him better, he doesn't make the line better.

Need to sign Calvin so we know how much money we got. Then Bring back Backus and Tully.

'King of the Jungle said:
'jurb26 said:
Any chance Det could manipulate the cap and sign Nicks, G from NO?
Would be great - just dont see it happening. They have not put a lot of emphasis on the oline over the years and I do not see that changing dramatically. Signing Tulloch will be key. Letting Avril walk is also key - would hate to see them ink him to a huge deal. I think any mediocre talent can benefit from the beef on the inside of the line - on top of that he is a liability versus the run.
I think they are going to try and re-sign Avril, I totally agree that Tulloch should be a priority over Avril.

What does the RB situation look like? Any chance that Kevin Smith will be the starter in the motor city next season?

'Ilov80s said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
will cortlan finnegan be too expensive?
I think so. The general feeling is that the Lions aren't going to be adding any big name players in FA. The focus is on retaining Tulloch and resigning Calvin to a long term contract that doesn't blow the budget.
Just heard on the radio that the Lions are eyeballing RBs Mike Tolbert and Justin Forsett if the price is right.At this point not sure that Best or LaShoure can be counted on for next season.

Megatron signs an extension 7 more yearshttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/lions-plan-to-announce-megatron-mega-extension-today/
Thats huge for the Lions, now they can get their FA moves started
:pickle: Great move that had to get done this off-season. This should assure that the NFLs best WR will play his whole career as a Detroit Lion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Megatron signs an extension 7 more yearshttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/lions-plan-to-announce-megatron-mega-extension-today/
Thats huge for the Lions, now they can get their FA moves started
:pickle: Great move that had to get done this off-season. This should assure that the NFLs best WR will play his whole career as a Detroit Lion.
I keep reading, not in this thread, that no WR is worth that kind of money and the Lions made a mistake by making that kind of long term commitment. All I can say is, they must have a short memory or they didn't see any Lions games this last season! I say great deal!!! It was #1 on my list of things I wanted to see happen this offseason and I'm glad it has been taken care of. Even if it means that in a few years they will be in cap hell and be forced to start over again. I still will get three years of incredibly, amazing, fun #### to watch on Sunday's! :popcorn:

Locking up Calvin at any price was a must for this team. I don't like the Avril move as I think they could have let him walk and used that money on a veteran corner. I am concerned Tulloch will be leaving for the highest bidder.

Just heard on The Ticket that the Lions are working out Ted Ginn Jr. Must be for the return game. Can`t see TG2 contributing much at WR.

I think Detroit is really going to have to find some instant above-average contributors in the draft (particularly on defense) in order to match last years success. They are stretching themselves with the Calvin signing/Avril franchise and will be challenged to add quality starters via free agency. This problem gets amplified if they cannot get Tulloch to stay.

What kind of numbers do you see Stafford putting up next season? He is my QB and just curious what the Detroit crowd thinks.

The Lions signed Jeff Backus to a two year deal, and also signed Shawn Hill.

These things needed to get done. With Stanton moving to the Jets the Lions would have been forved to draft a backup QB if Hill left.

Backus leaving would have left a huge hole at left tackle.

saw an article that says they are working with Tulloch to get a deal done.

A little disappointing FA season for the Leo's so far, they had to get their house in order first but they need to address CB and LB

What weapons does the team have tha cap space to add around stafford now that Calvin is signed? What offensive pieces are missing?

What weapons does the team have tha cap space to add around stafford now that Calvin is signed? What offensive pieces are missing?
They need better luck at RB, If Best,KSmith & LeShoure are healthy thats a nice stable of backs.After Calvin at WR they are set with Burleson and Titus YoungAnd 2 deep at TE with Pettigrew and Scheffler.The offensive weapons are set.

Tulloch is a done deal!

link

This is great news for the Lions. The only starter, from last season, not returning is cornerback Eric Wright, who signed a free agent contract with the Buccaneers. They now can build around what they had with the draft and late in free agency. If they can get kevin smith back and have that trio of rb's I think they can have a NO Saints like running game, IF they all stay healthy. They could be a lot of fun to watch next season!

Tullock is a done deal!

link

This is great news for the Lions. The only starter, from last season, not returning is cornerback Eric Wright, who signed a free agent contract with the Buccaneers. They now can build around what they had with the draft and late in free agency. If they can get kevin smith back and have that trio of rb's I think they can have a NO Saints like running game, IF they all stay healthy. They could be a lot of fun to watch next season!
Signing Tulloch is huge for the defense. Although I am curious on how much they had to fork over. I really hope they do not load Avril up with a long term deal. I think with the inside strength at def tackle they will be a able to find a contributor in the draft for the outside. Corner will again be an issue but Mayhew has done a great job so I trust he has a plan.

Tullock is a done deal!

link

Signing Tulloch is huge for the defense. Although I am curious on how much they had to fork over. I really hope they do not load Avril up with a long term deal. I think with the inside strength at def tackle they will be a able to find a contributor in the draft for the outside. Corner will again be an issue but Mayhew has done a great job so I trust he has a plan.
I wonder if they will use him (Cliff Avril) as trade bait in the draft to move up in the draft if they see a guy falling a bit that they really want. Defensive line is one of their strong suits and yes Avril would be missed but it's not like they will be able to sign him long term. Trade him and get something for him now. Rather than have him for another year and lose him in FA next year.

'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
I had herd on the radio that the lions signed CB Jacob Lacey from Indy. Didnt see a link anywhere
freep story:The Detroit Lions re-signed one of their own free agents and added some depth in the defensive backfield today, agreeing to terms with cornerback Jacob Lacey and bringing defensive tackle Andre Fluellen back on a one-year contract. Lacey visited the Lions last week and will help fill the void left by the departure of cornerback Eric Wright, who signed a free-agent deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last week. He agreed to a one-year deal but has not yet signed. The 24-year-old had five interceptions as a part-time starter the last three seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts did not tender him a contract as a restricted free agent this off-season, and Lacey said after a visit last week that he considered the Lions the "front-runner" for his services. Fluellen, a backup in most of his first four seasons with the Lions, said Monday that he visited the St. Louis Rams and Cincinnati Bengals but did not rule out a return to the Lions. “Detroit could easily be a place that I land and be back home," he said. Fluellen made 11 tackles in 13 games last year and will back up Ndamukong Suh, Corey Williams and Nick Fairley. The Lions also have tendered restricted free-agent defensive tackle Sammie Hill.

more CB news from the freep:On the same day the Detroit Lions signed one new cornerback for their secondary, they hosted another who could have an even bigger impact. Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick made the first of what will be at least 10 draft visits, meeting with Lions coaches and touring the team’s Allen Park facility today. Kirkpatrick is widely considered the second- or third-best cornerback in the draft and is expected to be a first-round pick. At 6-feet-2 and 186 pounds, and given the thin state of their secondary, the Lions might have trouble passing on Kirkpatrick if he slips to the No. 23 pick in the first round. “I’d fit in great” as a Lion, Kirkpatrick said today. “I’d be hugging big (Ndamukong) Suh and Nick (Fairley) every day, because those are the guys that are going to put the pressure and make me look good as I am and make life easy. It’ll be easy to roll the dice.” Kirkpatrick did not have an interception as a junior in 2011, but he was a fixture on Alabama’s prospect-laden defense the last two seasons. He said playing under Nick Saban and in the Crimson Tide’s complicated scheme will help him transition to the NFL. “It gets you ready,” he said. “Pretty much, it molds you for this. It helps you stay focused on the small things that’s at task that you have to accomplish, and I feel like I did a great job of that with coach Saban, He was a great coach, great leader. He taught me a lot.” Kirkpatrick also visited with the Lions at the NFL combine last month, where he answered questions about his January arrest for possession of marijuana, a charge that later was dropped. He said at the time that it was a case of “me being in the wrong place at the wrong time” and that the drugs belonged to the driver of the truck in which he was riding. The Lions lost starting cornerback Eric Wright to free agency and agreed to terms with his potential replacement today, former Indianapolis Colts cornerback Jacob Lacey. They have four other cornerbacks on the roster: Chris Houston, Aaron Berry, Alphonso Smith and Don Carey.
Guys named Dre are usually very fast.

Draft needs: Detroit Lions

By Pete Prisco | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

It's not often the chic team in July turns out to be a good team in January, but the Detroit Lions pulled that off in 2011.

The Lions were picked by many to be a team on the rise before the season and lived up to the hype by earning a playoff berth.

Now comes the hard part: Getting better to win the NFC North, which is a tough task with the Green Bay Packers in the division.

The Lions have to improve a defense that ranked 23rd last season, including 30th in rushing yards per attempt, before they can be a real Super Bowl threat.

The offense is in good hands with Matthew Stafford at quarterback throwing to Calvin Johnson, but they played way too many shootouts in 2011. The draft has to be focused on improving that defense and also improving the running game on offense.

QB: Stafford finally stayed healthy in 2011 and he lived up to the expectations for a top overall pick. He threw for over 4,000 yards and showed he can carry an offense on his right arm. Stafford is a big-armed passer who has a great feel for the big play. The Lions were fourth in passing last season with very little help from the running game. The backup is Shaun Hill, who has been a starter at times during his career. Hill has shown he is capable of playing well for short periods of time. But it sure must be nice for the Lions to know they have a young star passer in Stafford.

RB: There is a lot of uncertainty at this position because of injury issues. Jahvid Best has concussion issues that could jeopardize his career. Mikel Leshoure missed his rookie season after suffering a torn Achilles tendon in August. He is expected back, but how much will the injury impact his ability to return to his old form? Kevin Smith, Keiland Williams and Jerome Harrison are the reserves. If Best can't play, look for the Lions to maybe draft a back at some point.

WR: In Calvin Johnson, the Lions have one of the best receivers in the NFL. He is a big target who can jump over corners and has the long stride to get deep. He is a cover nightmare for a secondary, even when they double him. Nate Burleson is a steady starter opposite him, but look for more from Titus Young in 2012. He flashed as a rookie and an off-season will really help him. There's not much after those three. Stefan Logan is more valuable as a return man.

TE: Brandon Pettigrew is a nice target for Stafford in the middle of the field. He's not a great down-the-field threat, but he's capable of sitting down in the zone or beating safeties and linebackers in man coverage. Tony Scheffler is a nice pass-catching compliment when they go to a two-tight formation. Will Heller is the third tight end.

OL: This is an area of the team that needs an upgrade. Left tackle Jeff Backus played better last season and will return after re-signing with the team. He is getting up in the years, so that has to be a concern. Right tackle Gosder Cherlius, a former first-round pick, is just OK, although he did improve last season. The interior of the line -- center Dominic Raiola and guards Stephen Peterman and Rob Sims -- is solid if not special. Raiola can sometimes have problems with big people on his nose. The backups are raw with little playing experience. Look for the Lions to draft a player early in the draft on the offensive line.

DL: The defensive line has a lot of talent, led by defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. But he wasn't as good last season as he was as a rookie. Teams used his aggressive approach against him way too much. It didn't help that he got labeled a dirty player. He is a still a top talent, so expect a bounce-back season from him. Nick Fairley flashed late as a rookie and should be the starter next to Suh. He is a strong, quick player. Corey Williams started last season, but I would imagine Fairley will take his spot. If he does, Williams will join Sammie Lee Hill to give the Lions one of the best inside groups in the NFL. Cliff Avril is a pass-rush force on the outside. The team did the wise thing by putting the franchise tag on him. Kyle Vanden Bosch plays hard, but he isn't as good as his reputation. Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young provide nice sparks off the bench at end.

LB: The Lions re-signed free agent Stephen Tulloch to play middle linebacker. He was very good after signing a one-year deal last year. Tulloch is a good run player who was better against the pass than expected. DeAndre Levy moved to the outside with Tulloch in the lineup. Levy didn't play as well as he did in the middle. Justin Durant, who also came over as a free agent, added some much-needed speed. There isn't much in reserve, although they like some of the younger players.

DB: This was a problem area all season for the Lions in 2011. And now they have to move on without Eric Wright, one of their starting corners who signed with the Bucs. That leaves either Alphonso Smith or Aaron Berry in as the starter for now with Chris Houston on the other side. Berry really struggled when he played last season. They need help here in the worst way. Louis Delmas is solid at free safety, but Amari Spievey really struggled at strong safety. They need to be better on the back end. Erik Coleman and John Wendling are the top reserves.

Users who are viewing this thread