What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (14 Viewers)

Sometimes I hate that I live in Michigan and actually care a little about the Lions, because they're run by idiots. That tackle situation should have been taken care of years ago. Now they've got to try and piece something together.

So they get busy day one blowing their cap space on RB's, CB's, and a DE that will likely be moved to a situational DT. Great job gang.....it's a shame that Stafford is going to end up in a wheelchair. Morons.

ETA: They can't be stupid enough to put all their faith in a rookie LT, who may not even be there for them at #5, can they?

Last edited by a moderator:
..DETROIT (AP) -- Louis Delmas is returning to the Detroit Lions, whose secondary looks a bit more stable than it did at the beginning of the week.

Delmas agreed to a two-year contract to stay with the Lions, a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity Friday because no announcement had been made.

The 25-year-old Delmas returns to Detroit after the Lions added free agent safety Glover Quin earlier this week. They also retained free agent cornerback Chris Houston.

Delmas played only eight games last season but started them all. He was limited by left knee problems. He's started 49 games in four seasons with the Lions.

It's been a busy week for the Lions, who introduced Quin, running back Reggie Bush and defensive end Jason Jones on Wednesday. They then held a news conference Thursday to welcome Houston back - and announced the retirement of Jeff Backus, who was a mainstay on the offensive line for the last dozen years.

Detroit hopes Bush will help diversify an offense that already includes quarterback Matthew Stafford and star receiver Calvin Johnson. The offensive line could look a lot different next season - tackle Gosder Cherilus left via free agency. And the Lions could also use more help on the defensive line. Cliff Avril signed with Seattle and the team released veteran defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch last month.

In addition to whatever free agent moves the team still could make, the Lions have the No. 5 pick in this year's draft.

The Lions got younger at the kicker position. Signing the 38 year old David Akers to replace 43 year old Jason Hanson.

The Lions have the 2nd toughest SOS this year, after Carolina's. Not only that, but yet again, we get to watch a Packers- Lions Thanksgiving game. It's bad enough that the Lions' Thanksgiving opponents for the past several years have had a combined record of about 58-9 going into the game, but another game against the Packers? I'd like to enjoy a Thanksgiving game once in my life, thanks. Why do the schedulers hate Detroit?

The Lions have the 2nd toughest SOS this year, after Carolina's. Not only that, but yet again, we get to watch a Packers- Lions Thanksgiving game. It's bad enough that the Lions' Thanksgiving opponents for the past several years have had a combined record of about 58-9 going into the game, but another game against the Packers? I'd like to enjoy a Thanksgiving game once in my life, thanks. Why do the schedulers hate Detroit?
pre-supebowl era I believe the Lions and Pack played almost every year on thanksgiving.

IM surprised that Dallas got oakland instead of Denver for their home turkey day game.

I see 7-9 season for detroit with that schedule, maybe.

pre-supebowl era I believe the Lions and Pack played almost every year on thanksgiving.

IM surprised that Dallas got oakland instead of Denver for their home turkey day game.

I'm actually seeing 9-7, but they have to address the defense in the draft.

Trying to be positive, at least the bye week is right in the middle instead of the usual week 4 or 5. Also, only the Philly game projects to be in "bad weather" with a lot of early road outdoor games. I'll split the difference and say 8-8.

They are trying to force them out of Thanksgiving games. Since they won't give it up, they'll get Packer Cheese on Thanksgiving instead of turkey.

pre-supebowl era I believe the Lions and Pack played almost every year on thanksgiving. IM surprised that Dallas got oakland instead of Denver for their home turkey day game. I see 7-9 season for detroit with that schedule, maybe.
9-7 is definitely too high for the Lions when talking over and unders. If things go perfect for Detroit, they could be 9-7 but more likely a scenario considering their history is 6-10.

Here we go again. :wall:

http://www.freep.com/article/20130423/SPORTS01/304230118/detroit-lions-ronnell-lewis

Detroit Lions linebacker Ronnell Lewis was arrested this past weekend on three misdemeanor complaints after a bar altercation in Norman, Okla., according to ESPN’s Sooner Nation.

The 22-year-old Lewis reportedly was booked on complaints of disturbing the peace, public intoxication and interfering with official procedure. The incident occured at Logan’s on the Corner in Norman, according to the Norman Police Department.

Lewis had two tackles during the 2012 season in limited action with the Lions, who selected him in the fourth round of last year’s NFL draft.

This marks the second Lions player arrested this off-season. Safety Amari Spievey was arrested in March in Middletown, Conn., after a dispute with his live-in girlfriend. He was charged with Class C felony third-degree assault, Class A misdemeanor risk of injury to a child and Class C misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Any thoughts on draft-eve? Not liking that many are projecting the 3 OTs being gone before the lions pick at 5. Mayock just projected them picking Ziggy Ansah. Personally I'm not liking the idea of a project.

lebowski said:
Any thoughts on draft-eve? Not liking that many are projecting the 3 OTs being gone before the lions pick at 5. Mayock just projected them picking Ziggy Ansah. Personally I'm not liking the idea of a project.
He may be a project, but the Lions did see him at the Senior Bowl so they know more about him than most teams. Like most, I would prefer a left tackle but if they are gone I think it is a must to take a pass rusher, so it would be Ansah or Jordan. There is no way I would take a guard and this is too high for Milliner. I have never gotten the Milliner love. He looks like a solid player but I don't think he is elite enough to take at 5.

I think they might want to trade down but I don't see it happening.

The next question is whether they should consider trading up to get one of the left tackle prospects. Although they have several holes to fill, I think a left tackle is a must and if they can move up without trading their 2nd, I think I would do it.

If they stay at 5 and the left tackles are gone, I would take Ansah.

lebowski said:
If they take a project at #5 they are just as dumb as we all knew and I am done watching them.

If they could get the stafford contract done and free up some cap space, why not take Ziggy at 5 and then deal their 2nd for Brandon Albert. Fills the 2 biggest needs. I know it's not ideal to pay that kind of money right now, but they have to protect Stafford.

I would think KC would be all over this deal since the pick is higher than Miami's

If they could get the stafford contract done and free up some cap space, why not take Ziggy at 5 and then deal their 2nd for Brandon Albert. Fills the 2 biggest needs. I know it's not ideal to pay that kind of money right now, but they have to protect Stafford.I would think KC would be all over this deal since the pick is higher than Miami's
OK...this idea works for me, but doesn't seem likely. I just am really worried about a project here. They need to protect Stafford so he can survive and throw the ball to Calvin for years to come. Here is hoping he is the steal of the draft...I just don't ever trust the Lions when it comes to drafting. Is he going to be able to start week 1??? That is what I expect from a #5 pick so he better produce right away in my opinion. Full disclosure though...I don't know a lot about the guy, just that he hasn't been playing football very long.

If they could get the stafford contract done and free up some cap space, why not take Ziggy at 5 and then deal their 2nd for Brandon Albert. Fills the 2 biggest needs. I know it's not ideal to pay that kind of money right now, but they have to protect Stafford.I would think KC would be all over this deal since the pick is higher than Miami's
OK...this idea works for me, but doesn't seem likely. I just am really worried about a project here. They need to protect Stafford so he can survive and throw the ball to Calvin for years to come. Here is hoping he is the steal of the draft...I just don't ever trust the Lions when it comes to drafting. Is he going to be able to start week 1??? That is what I expect from a #5 pick so he better produce right away in my opinion. Full disclosure though...I don't know a lot about the guy, just that he hasn't been playing football very long.
Looking at the various scouting reports making the rounds, Anseh is a very effective talent, and likes to line up outside, but due to inexperience, some of his skills need fine-tuning. Still, to make the NFL after only 3 years of playing football is impressive, and I like the pick.

Scratch the Albert for a 2nd rd pick idea. Heard Pioli on Sirius say that he couldn't believe someone would give up a 2nd for Albert. I guess he would know better than most what Albert brings to the table.

Based on what I read and hear and in talking to friends, I think I am in a tiny minority of people that love this pick, especially given that the 3 left tackles were gone and the fact that they had to get a pass rusher early in the draft. I absolutely did not want Milliner. I have never seen anything elite about his game and there is no way you take a corner that high if he is not an elite shut down corner. I also didn't see taking a guard this high. I also don't care about the risk because practically everyone has risks and I don't see any sure things at this pick that are worthy of being picked this high.

Scratch the Albert for a 2nd rd pick idea. Heard Pioli on Sirius say that he couldn't believe someone would give up a 2nd for Albert. I guess he would know better than most what Albert brings to the table.
He also wants a ridiculous 9 million per year. He's a pretty good player but not THAT good.

I sure hope this guy proves me wrong. He has a tremendous motor and will not have nearly the mileage that any other player at any other position will have up to this point. But he is extremely

raw and very very limited experience. :mellow:

Based on what I read and hear and in talking to friends, I think I am in a tiny minority of people that love this pick, especially given that the 3 left tackles were gone and the fact that they had to get a pass rusher early in the draft. I absolutely did not want Milliner. I have never seen anything elite about his game and there is no way you take a corner that high if he is not an elite shut down corner. I also didn't see taking a guard this high. I also don't care about the risk because practically everyone has risks and I don't see any sure things at this pick that are worthy of being picked this high.
:goodposting:

They took a project in the 1st round in Reiff last year and a project this year in Ziggy. Reiff was only a situational player last season, and MUST start this season. You just don't take guys in the first round that can't play RIGHT NOW on a team like this.

They took a project in the 1st round in Reiff last year and a project this year in Ziggy. Reiff was only a situational player last season, and MUST start this season. You just don't take guys in the first round that can't play RIGHT NOW on a team like this.
Who would you have taken?
I don't know if they tried to or not... But I would have tried to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd.

There were no sure things in this draft...very weak IMO. Ziggy is a project, which ideally you don't want if you're picking #5, but he also could be the most athletic guy in the draft. Athletic enough to dominate this league. I was hoping for Dion Jordan to be there, but that didn't work out. With all 3 LT's & Jordan gone, a guy with potentially the highest upside in the whole draft is a guy I'm OK drafting. I like the pick given who was left.

Ziggy is going to play, and start, he has to, they have no other DEs really.

Throw him in the fire

I don't know if they tried to or not... But I would have tried to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd.
Trading down is great in theory, but you need a partner to do that. Who was available that a team was dying to trade up to get? Given who was on the board, I just don't think those phones were ringing off the hook for our pick.

Basically replacing Cliff Avril with Ziggy.

I would really like this pick had Mayhew not totally botched the last couple of drafts and left the Lions thin on talent. Last years draft did not yield one impact player,

One thing I noticed is that Ziggy did not seem overjoyed to be the #5 pick..

Basically replacing Cliff Avril with Ziggy.

I would really like this pick had Mayhew not totally botched the last couple of drafts and left the Lions thin on talent. Last years draft did not yield one impact player,

One thing I noticed is that Ziggy did not seem overjoyed to be the #5 pick..
I texted a couple friends about that right away. I even re-wound and watched it again to be sure. That guy looked like the most disappointed #5 pick in the history of the NFL draft. I was pretty surprised by his reaction, and when I realized that he had worked with our coaching staff at the senior bowl, and reacted that way... it shook me on faith in the pick. I hope that this kid works out, and I was wrong about his reaction, but I have to admit I am a bit skeptical.

Frankbot said:
Anthony Borbely said:
:goodposting:
Milliner's surgery history concerned me the most, and while Ansah is very raw, proper training and conditioning will almost always help. Better linemen, while definitely less flashy, will give the position players time to make better plays. The fact that Suh and Fairley will also take some heat off him will help, too.

Bottom line is this: Of course the year the Lions FINALLY decide to address the oline with a high pick is the year 3 LT's go in the top 4. They missed out, but they were smart to not surrender extra picks to move up - they need the depth. So they sat tight and due to the type of talent in this particular draft, Ziggy is as good as it was gonna get. Nobody was trading up for that pick, nobody. Wasn't gonna happen unless the Lions traded it cheap like Dallas did and then you'd all be in here bellyaching that they didn't get enough for the pick.

Last night was a best case scenario from a worst case scenario. Couldn't have played out any worse for the Leos, but they made the best of it. Today's picks are the ones we should all be worried about. These are the picks they tend to waste.

I'm still wondering what people see in Milliner. He is good but not elite and he is not a shut down corner. Without that there is no way I would take a corner that high...not to mention a pass rushing defensive end is arguably the biggest need.

I have to think that a tackle or guard is the choice in the 2nd. If they're not high on Watson at tackle they could hope for a trade partner to move back and grab a guard.

They may also look at a WR like Hunter...I hope not but it is the Lions.

Not real happy with the pick, but it hurts a bit less since the top three tackles were gone. If they are taking a risk I would have gone with Millner.

Anthony Borbely said:
Milliner would have been considered a reach @ #5 and so would the 4th OL off the board @ 5.

"Upside" can be risky but then so can "playing it safe".

BTW, as usual the national guys are much less critical of this pick than the locals.

Users who are viewing this thread