What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (8 Viewers)

I was talking with a 49ers fan last night; he’s a Bronx native, diehard Yankees fan, but jumped on the SF bandwagon in the Montana - Walsh years. Tried to explain to me he would have his barber cut his hair like Steve Young & I was like “that was a thing?”

He was giving me a hard time about how we’ll never win a SB with Stafford. My response:

”Well, listen, I’m a lot closer to the grave than the day I was born, and they may never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. But I realized a long time ago he’s not elite; he will never compare favorably with guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Big Ben....at best he’s a nicer version of Phillip Rivers, a more aggressive Matt Ryan, Tony Romo if he were clutch.

But you have to understand, Detroit is different. Our superstars are not blue collar, that’s absurd because they’re millionaires. But there’s a mold, in every sport. Not flashy, they don’t thump their chest, they just do their job. Think Al Kaline, Alan Trammell, Gotdie Howe, Steve Yzerman, Barry Sanders. In that sense, he’s the near-perfect face of a Detroit franchise. The Staffords live in the area year round, they’re in the community, he never says the wrong thing, he’s never in legal trouble. He’s a good quarterback, top 6 top 8 but he’s never been elite. He never was & probably never will be.”
:lmao: at the guy that is a Bronx native and die hard Yankee fan, that jumped on the 49ers band wagon in the 80's and got his hair cut like Steve Young in the 90's. Does he grow his beard in all patchy like Crosby does every may for the playoffs?

I was talking with a 49ers fan last night; he’s a Bronx native, diehard Yankees fan, but jumped on the SF bandwagon in the Montana - Walsh years. Tried to explain to me he would have his barber cut his hair like Steve Young & I was like “that was a thing?”

He was giving me a hard time about how we’ll never win a SB with Stafford. My response:

”Well, listen, I’m a lot closer to the grave than the day I was born, and they may never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. But I realized a long time ago he’s not elite; he will never compare favorably with guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Big Ben....at best he’s a nicer version of Phillip Rivers, a more aggressive Matt Ryan, Tony Romo if he were clutch.

But you have to understand, Detroit is different. Our superstars are not blue collar, that’s absurd because they’re millionaires. But there’s a mold, in every sport. Not flashy, they don’t thump their chest, they just do their job. Think Al Kaline, Alan Trammell, Gotdie Howe, Steve Yzerman, Barry Sanders. In that sense, he’s the near-perfect face of a Detroit franchise. The Staffords live in the area year round, they’re in the community, he never says the wrong thing, he’s never in legal trouble. He’s a good quarterback, top 6 top 8 but he’s never been elite. He never was & probably never will be.”
Nicer version of Rivers? Ya know Phil has actually won the division,  playoff games.....on the road.....multiple times....Sick of the excuses for Stafford, he need to take the diapers off and lose the baby fat......

Caldwell struck me as a coach who let players take it easy. Now you have to weed out the whiners. Any coach should be given at least two years before you say they’re awful.
He was a players coach for sure but so is Pete Carrol. The dictatorship thing can work when a team is winning but when they aren’t it’s going to implode quickly. Also it’s a lot easier to be a tyrant in college than the pros. They are full grown adults and expect to be treated as such. They often make more than the coach. They also know their craft and can see through BS. I often disagreed with Jim Leyland’s game decisions but he and Caldwell had 1 thing in common: their players loved them, they always played hard for them and there was zero drama. That’s worth a lot in team sports.

I understand. But also look how many NE system coaches have failed when trying to install the Patriot way. I am not sure any coach can be BB. Also, they perpetually have had Brady on team friendly deals- that might be enough to turn any team into a contender.

7-9. 9-7. 9-7. Mediocrity but also in the mix. Maybe it is a lucky playoff run or maybe it's a strong draft/FA class and 9-7 becomes 11-5 or 12-4. The difference in the NFL between 8-8 and 10-6 is often just a handful of plays.  Andy Reid's career winning is 60%. Caldwell with Detroit was 56%. It's the difference of a half a game. I just can't believe we are talking rebuild on a team with a 30 year old franchise QB and a winning record 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

As for the run Seattle went on, I think we are seeing now it wasn't because they did anything all that special. They got lucky drafting a later round QB on a cheap deal who happened to be an instant Pro Bowler. He was cheap for several years which allowed them to load up their defense. Now that Wilson is paid, we are seeing the Seahawks really have no clue what they are doin-g.
This just isn't true at all, most teams only have a shelf life of 3 to 5 years for being great. The Patriots are the exception. The entire secondary was drafted by the Seahawks, Lynch was a cast off from the Bills, Baldwin and Tate were both drafted by the Seahawks. Bobby Wagner was drafted by the Seahawks. The trades the Seahawks have made have been their undoing, Graham and Harvin were both busts for them and were very costly.

The teams getting lucky in the playoffs doesn't happen a lot. Sure the Giants did it, but they were very good the year they beat the undefeated Patriots, the Eagles were a dominate team all year. They just got lucky to have a really good back up qb, they were the number 1 seed. The Ravens were at one point 9 - 2 then went on a 3 game losing streak before firing their OC. They also had a little spark with Ray Lewis announcing it was his final season.

This just isn't true at all, most teams only have a shelf life of 3 to 5 years for being great. The Patriots are the exception. The entire secondary was drafted by the Seahawks, Lynch was a cast off from the Bills, Baldwin and Tate were both drafted by the Seahawks. Bobby Wagner was drafted by the Seahawks. The trades the Seahawks have made have been their undoing, Graham and Harvin were both busts for them and were very costly.

The teams getting lucky in the playoffs doesn't happen a lot. Sure the Giants did it, but they were very good the year they beat the undefeated Patriots, the Eagles were a dominate team all year. They just got lucky to have a really good back up qb, they were the number 1 seed. The Ravens were at one point 9 - 2 then went on a 3 game losing streak before firing their OC. They also had a little spark with Ray Lewis announcing it was his final season.
So the GM of Seattle took over in 2010. His 2010 draft was one of the best of all time. 2011 and 12 were great. Every draft since then has been mediocre to bad. I don’t think they are any smarter than any other team.

Luck isn’t just luck in the playoffs but also sometimes teams just have a magical year where they totally outperform all expectations and then often fade back. 

As for the Ravens, who was that OC they brought in that got Flacco a SB win? I’m kidding mostly, such small sample size. My main point is a 9-7 team could be one lucky/genius offseason away from being a 12 win team. Margins are thin. 

Nicer version of Rivers? Ya know Phil has actually won the division,  playoff games.....on the road.....multiple times....Sick of the excuses for Stafford, he need to take the diapers off and lose the baby fat......
Rivers all has had a running game and a defense to help him.  Stafford has next to nothing.  OLine sucks, RBs suck, we frequently are very high if not at the top of dropped balls, defense can't stop the run, can't get pressure on the qb, DBs for most of his career couldn't cover anybody.  but keep blaming one of the two best players we've had over the last 15 years

:lmao: at the guy that is a Bronx native and die hard Yankee fan, that jumped on the 49ers band wagon in the 80's and got his hair cut like Steve Young in the 90's. Does he grow his beard in all patchy like Crosby does every may for the playoffs?
:lmao:

Queue ball dome, white shirt, pocket square, skinny jeans, Ferragamo shoes (sans socks.) Really nice tan. Is that 2-day 5 o'clock shadow look out now? Clean shaven.

(said he was at NYFW show before our event)

I'd set ya up but you're married.

:lmao:

Queue ball dome, white shirt, pocket square, skinny jeans, Ferragamo shoes (sans socks.) Really nice tan. Is that 2-day 5 o'clock shadow look out now? Clean shaven.

(said he was at NYFW show before our event)

I'd set ya up but you're married.
If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

I understand. But also look how many NE system coaches have failed when trying to install the Patriot way. I am not sure any coach can be BB. Also, they perpetually have had Brady on team friendly deals- that might be enough to turn any team into a contender.

7-9. 9-7. 9-7. Mediocrity but also in the mix. Maybe it is a lucky playoff run or maybe it's a strong draft/FA class and 9-7 becomes 11-5 or 12-4. The difference in the NFL between 8-8 and 10-6 is often just a handful of plays.  Andy Reid's career winning is 60%. Caldwell with Detroit was 56%. It's the difference of a half a game. I just can't believe we are talking rebuild on a team with a 30 year old franchise QB and a winning record 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

As for the run Seattle went on, I think we are seeing now it wasn't because they did anything all that special. They got lucky drafting a later round QB on a cheap deal who happened to be an instant Pro Bowler. He was cheap for several years which allowed them to load up their defense. Now that Wilson is paid, we are seeing the Seahawks really have no clue what they are doing. 
Yeah it's a lot more difficult to install the Patriot way on a new team when you can't bring Tom Brady with you. It really should be called the Brady way since it will fade away once he retires. 

Man some serious overreaction going on in here.

It was hands down the worst game I've seen since the Eagles playoff game.

But it was one game.

Lions will face Laken this Sunday....change of scenery has helped him.

The Lions will get their first look at Laken Tomlinson this weekend since trading their 2015 first-round draft pick to the 49ers last August. What they see might not be what they remember. 

Tomlinson, who struggled over two seasons in Detroit and lost his job as the starting left guard in 2016, has become a mainstay on the 49ers offensive line. Dealt to San Francisco for a 2019 fifth-round pick just before the start of the 2017 season, he learned the team's playbook on the fly, started the final 15 games of the year and was rewarded this offseason with a three-year, $16.5 million contract. 

He's the eigth-highest paid left guard in the NFL.

In other words, he's lived up to the potential he never fulfilled in Detroit. 

“Laken has been great for us," 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan said on Wednesday in a conference call with local reporters. "We had an issue at guard last year going into the season and we knew we needed to add someone. Just studying (him) a lot out of college, we always liked his ability and how he could move.

Shanahan thought Tomlinson would be a good fit in San Francisco. He had scouted him closely in advance of the 2015 draft as the offensive coordinator of the Falcons. Turns out Shanahan was right. 

"Once we got him here, it was a huge credit to Laken because it takes a while to learn all this stuff," Shanahan said. "He missed all of training camp and OTA’s, got here a week before (the start of the season). It took him one week before we made him a starter."

Shanahan was particularly impressed, he said, with how much Tomlinson improved week by week and how quickly he picked up on the offense. 

"He’s very intelligent. He has the ability to do everything we’re asking. Just going through trial and error of reps, some good ones and some bad ones, and how he responded, by the end of the year we thought he was playing at a very high level and wanted to make sure he was a guy we kept around here.”

Having been demoted to second string last preseason with the Lions, Tomlinson was in danger of being cut from the 53-man roster. Now a year later, he's a cornerstone of the 49ers offensive line.

matuski said:
Man some serious overreaction going on in here.

It was hands down the worst game I've seen since the Eagles playoff game.

But it was one game.
Also he only has the 18th highest QB contract. 

I just mean that not only is he one of the best ever, he is playing for relatively cheap which allows the Pats to spend money on other players. 
Sorry..thought you were talking about Stafford.   When your wife makes 40 million a year it makes it a little easier to take a pay cut.

Played much better..but with an 0-2 start and tough games ahead a playoff spot will be very difficult.

Since 2007, 91 teams have started 0-2. Only 10 (10.9 percent) of them turned it around to make the playoffs and one of those (the 2008 Chargers) made it with an 8-8 record. The Saints last season, Dolphins in 2016, the Texans and Seahawks in 2015, the Colts from 2014, the 2013 Panthers, the 2008 Vikings and the 2007 Giants are the only others — and, of course, that Giants team won the Super Bowl that season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played much better..but with an 0-2 start and tough games ahead a playoff spot will be very difficult.

Since 2007, 91 teams have started 0-2. Only 10 (10.9 percent) of them turned it around to make the playoffs and one of those (the 2008 Chargers) made it with an 8-8 record. The Saints last season, Dolphins in 2016, the Texans and Seahawks in 2015, the Colts from 2014, the 2013 Panthers, the 2008 Vikings and the 2007 Giants are the only others — and, of course, that Giants team won the Super Bowl that season.
Playoffs are out of range, team just needs to try and develop some players on defense and get Kerryon the ball more. 

Yeah was gonna say, all thought of playoffs all but disappeared for me in week 1. I don't believe we are as bad as the Jets game, as evidenced yesterday, but certainly we look to be too much of a work in progress in defence to be competing against what looks like a very complete Vikings team, and a team with Rodgers

Just got another look at the penalty that wiped out the huge 4th quarter INT. TE was being jammed and it was only 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. Awful call. 

What do you guys think of Kerryon ROS?

I'm wondering if now is the time to throw out some offers before he eventually takes over.

He clearly looks better than Blount IMO but I still think usage will be an issue. Theo isn't going away. I honestly wish Blount was just cut after that horrible penalty yesterday. 
Maybe I’m just being silly but I kind of liked that fire from Blount yesterday. Probably just coincidence but the team seemed to play better all round after that moment. I also thought Patricia gave him a look that said ‘ yes I’m annoyed at you and that was stupid, but I kind of liked it’ 

Someone dropped Kerryon this week to waivers and it’s in a league where I’m loaded at WR beyond belief and very very shaky in RB depth. Luckily he cleared waivers to me. I think his usage increases as the season progresses. 

That may or may not be connected to, and be completely irregardless of whether Cooter lasts the season. 

Logic would dictate that I want to use my RB that the opposition won’t be sure as to whether he will take it for a carry or split out for a reception. It’s just too obvious what is going down when Blount or Riddick are in the game. 

Might as well change the title to 0-3. I saw PFF grades came out for Lions D this week. Rookie Tracy Walker was our highest graded player so nice to him contributing. A'Shawn was #2...maybe he should be active every week? Also, our front 7 is pathetic. Jarrad Davis needs to get his #### together fast. 

Okwara was highly effective for the Giants in '16 (particularly in the preseason) when they ran a 4-3.  But they were deep at DL and he spent time at DT also. Last year they switched to a full-time 3-4 and he wasnt quite the same. But this year he seemed to have another good preseason as he had gotten more integrated, but he wasnt a good fit as an OLB in the 3-4. 

I like the move, and Im a big IDP goof. But this is more about the NFL then any stat consideration.
Very quietly -- Okwara started at RDE for the Lions in week 2.  ;)

And rookie Alabama DT Dashaun Hand started at LDE as they opened in a 4-3.

So once again a team knows what we are running before the play happens. Is this more common than we think among teams or are we doing something wrong? I’m sure it happens, but I suppose the article I read says it’s from “stolen signals” which is what the jets guys said after the game but perhaps this was simply the defense seeing something that tipped the play? 

thanks for posting a good link @matuski, scroll down for link

i mean @lod001

So once again a team knows what we are running before the play happens. Is this more common than we think among teams or are we doing something wrong? I’m sure it happens, but I suppose the article I read says it’s from “stolen signals” which is what the jets guys said after the game but perhaps this was simply the defense seeing something that tipped the play? 

Video/audio “it’s a toss”
If this is true does it make Kerryon Johnson’s 100 yards rushing more impressive?

link broken

OOf.

Rushing totals for opponent and lions each of the 3 games this year.

169-39

190-98

89-159

Gee, I wonder which game they won?
I hope you are not implying they'd have won more games if they'd run more. It has been well documented that winning leads to rushing, but rushing does not lead to winning.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
told a co-worker last week, would be very lions like to win the pats game and lose to buffalo....
Congrats Lions fans for beating the evil empire!

As a Vikings fan don't sleep on the Bill's. They are a better team than all the hop heads have been saying.

Users who are viewing this thread