What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (20 Viewers)

This organization is the hardest to root for. If I were just discovering football and had to pick a team to root for the rest of my life...Detroit would be my last choice. But here I am stuck with these losers. My only hope is the team relocates out of state thus breaking my obligatory fan contract with them.

This organization is the hardest to root for. If I were just discovering football and had to pick a team to root for the rest of my life...Detroit would be my last choice. But here I am stuck with these losers. My only hope is the team relocates out of state thus breaking my obligatory fan contract with them.
Right now I am indifferent.  I want them to win but I never get upset or mad when they lose.

The above 2 posters have it right. This horrible organization does not deserve anything close to loyalty. Yet if they were somehow stumble their way to success they still owe that to those have wasted even part of their lives paying attention to them.

Cooter gone. 

Quite a strange write up from Rotoworld to boot, seems to be suggesting that Patricia enforced a lot of the calls/decisions on Cooter. Definitely don’t think that’s the case, pretty sure he was left to run the thing 

Cooter gone. 

Quite a strange write up from Rotoworld to boot, seems to be suggesting that Patricia enforced a lot of the calls/decisions on Cooter. Definitely don’t think that’s the case, pretty sure he was left to run the thing 
Yeah that was some really weird editorializing by RW. Didn't seem to be based on any actual reporting.

I do think JBC got a bit of a raw deal, but Stafford definitely regressed this year. It was tine to make a change.

I'm 68 years old and just about done with them. Taken too much and given too little. WCF established the culture of non-accountability as long as the team made money and no one made a scene. 

I could say more but what does it matter.

Ive effectively been a fan of the Lions since around 1989 when I was an 8 year old kid. Won’t bore people with the details as to how that came about but most of the 90s as a kid I didn’t have access to games so saw very little. Wasn’t until at leas the mid 00s that I could see most of the games and really become an invested fan. 

I truly understand the mindset and mentality of some of our older fans. Two of the great things about US sports That I love are the draft and the wage cap. Those things alone help to give every team a chance at the big prize with good ownership, coaching and drafting. That the Lions haven’t been able to even come close to any form of this for so long is really a travesty for all fans. 

An unfortunate by product of it all ( there are positive traits as well such as a black humour and a self humility )  is that it has established an inbuilt negativity and weariness from a lot of the fan base. They have no reason to trust anything the club is doing. That will be a holding pattern until the day comes when the team goes out and proves otherwise on the pitch. Unfortunately for the current staff and team, there is no credit in the bank for them with fans, owing to decades of mediocrity that have occurred before them. They just have to go and get it done, to start changing the mindset of us fans. 

I do have reason to believe that the culture has shifted under Martha though. She’s shown a willingness to remove staff when it’s required, seemed to go through a logical process ( hiring Accorsi as a consultant etc ) in choosing a new GM, and at this point she just needs to wait and see what we have with Quinn, Patricia, a new OC etc over the next two years. 

I have some faith that Quinn, Patricia et al would be the type of people to bring the club forward in terms of analytics, scouting etc etc. Improvements behind the scenes that become inbuilt even accounting for potential future  staff changes.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 68 years old and just about done with them. Taken too much and given too little. WCF established the culture of non-accountability as long as the team made money and no one made a scene. 

I could say more but what does it matter.
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like I only have 12 years or so left on my life sentence.

Will be 57 in August, 53rd season (1967-).

I’m fine with Patricia trying to model the team after the Pats rivals he observed while he was there (Ravens, Steelers, et al.) Doesn’t strike me as leading edge but something like 11 playoff teams are in the top 15 rushing. We always knew he would emphasize defense.

I’ve brought it up before but one of the fatal flaws to this year was going halfway. They really lacked identity for this year, and they didn’t seem consistent or committed to making a run in 2018. 

Wr’ve tried a couple different offenses in the Stafford era. Never got us a division title or playoff win. So cool, let’s make the team less dependent on his arm. Ball control & defense. I’m in.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like I only have 12 years or so left on my life sentence.

Will be 57 in August, 53rd season (1967-).
I have already told my daughters..it probably won`t be in my lifetime but I hope they finally do win in your lifetimes.

I’m fine with Patricia trying to model the team after the Pats rivals he observed while he was there (Ravens, Steelers, et al.) Doesn’t strike me as leading edge but something like 11 playoff teams are in the top 15 rushing. We always knew he would emphasize defense.

I’ve brought it up before but one of the fatal flaws to this year was going halfway. They really lacked identity for this year, and they didn’t seem consistent or committed to making a run in 2018. 

Wr’ve tried a couple different offenses in the Stafford era. Never got us a division title or playoff win. So cool, let’s make the team less dependent on his arm. Ball control & defense. I’m in.
The NFL is not quite the big 12, you still have to play D and run the ball. Saints are a good example.

I am encouraged by lions defense this year (#10 overall) and of course a healthy kj would be nice.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Overall 1st against the run since Snacks came in. That’s a pretty good block to build D with 
the stat I can come up with is that since the combined trades of snacks and tate, the lions games total scores went to the under their last 7 games in a row. 

Needs:

Ziggy off the books will open up what 15 million or so? Should be able to fill some needs.

RB:Not sure they will bring Blount back but I would not be opposed to it as he did not make much. With a healthy Kerry Johnson there won`t be as many carries to go around.  Zenner deserves to be on the roster.  I think Riddick is a UFA..still think he should be strictly a slot receiver.

Needs:

Ziggy off the books will open up what 15 million or so? Should be able to fill some needs.

RB:Not sure they will bring Blount back but I would not be opposed to it as he did not make much. With a healthy Kerry Johnson there won`t be as many carries to go around.  Zenner deserves to be on the roster.  I think Riddick is a UFA..still think he should be strictly a slot receiver.
Agree on bringing Blount back if the price is right. Riddick is under contract for next year and then becomes an UFA. His cap hit next year is about the same as this past season but the Lions could save 3.5 million if they cut him now. I think he's a good insurance policy for next year on passing downs in case Kerryon gets injured and agree he should get more work as a slot receiver. Time to move on from Riddick after next season. He'll be 29 when he hits UFA.

Looking ahead to the draft, the Lions top 4 guys on their draft board in some order should be DE Bosa, DE/OLB Allen, DE Ferrell, CB Greedy. If they miss out on those 4 guys things start to look murky. I'm wondering who the Lions take at #8 in that scenario.

Lots of folks will be clamoring for Rashan Gary as a DE but he doesn't look like a good fit. He's more of a DT in a 4-3 or a DE in a 3-4. If they're going to grab a DT it might as well be a better DT prospect in Quiennen Williams or Ed Oliver. If they plan to switch to a 3-4 to suit Gary then they will have lots of problems at LB play that is already thin. Maybe another DE rises from the pack but it feels like reaching. A trade down would be great but probably wishful thinking and then they miss out elite prospects trying to plug in needs. I think this draft is too early to grab a QB and it 's highly doubtful any top QB's get past NYG and Jax picking in front of them. We're stuck with Stafford for at least 2 more years. Drafting a QB high next year makes a lot of sense as he can be groomed behind Stafford for a year before being thrown into action. It's likely the Lions finish last in the division next year and end up with another top 10 pick in 2020 where they could grab their post-Stafford QB in a draft with more QB depth. 

The more I look at it I say draft the highest rated player regardless of position at #8. If he's one of the top 4 guys already mentioned then great, pull the trigger on an immediate need and if they're gone then concentrate on adding top shelf talent as this team isn't contending next year. They should be looking ahead to any roster holes for 2019 and potential ones in 2020. I wouldn't mind a top OT at #8. Lang and Wagner have 1 year left on their contracts, are injured frequently enough, and won't be resigned. That's a major hole coming after next year and will have to be addressed. Taking a DT seems wasteful with the current talent on the roster but Robinson is a FA after 2019, Snacks after 2020 and the run defense was poor prior to Snacks arrival. It wouldn't be awful to plan ahead and not end up repeating history in passing on Aaron Donald when Suh and Fairley were jettisoned 1 year later. Devin White at MLB possibly and see if Davis can move to OLB. 

Maybe this is all crazy talk but who would've guessed we would take Ragnow last year. I just hope they grab an elite prospect one way or another. Roster turnover is too frequent to  force plugging holes with lesser players as a non-contender.

Agree with all this, we just need to keep building talent and depth across the 53.  I don't see moving on from Stafford as being productive at the least but he is going to be best in an offense that plays to his strengths and IMO that will be something that can run to set up some passes downfield.  Use Ellington/Riddick to replace Tate unless/until a better option emerges. That trade really torpedoed the offense.

Blount 154 / 418 / 2.7 / 5 - one good game..  No idea why he touched the ball over Zenner ever; and equally confused why anyone would want him around next year.

The defense showed substantial improvement as the year went on despite what I would consider mediocre talent; on offense, our depth at skill positions was an issue coming into the year and manifested.  I do see a bounce back coming but we need to start hitting some home runs with the draft/FA.

Looking ahead to the draft, the Lions top 4 guys on their draft board in some order should be DE Bosa, DE/OLB Allen, DE Ferrell, CB Greedy. If they miss out on those 4 guys things start to look murky. I'm wondering who the Lions take at #8 in that scenario.

Lots of folks will be clamoring for Rashan Gary as a DE but he doesn't look like a good fit. He's more of a DT in a 4-3 or a DE in a 3-4. If they're going to grab a DT it might as well be a better DT prospect in Quiennen Williams or Ed Oliver. If they plan to switch to a 3-4 to suit Gary then they will have lots of problems at LB play that is already thin. Maybe another DE rises from the pack but it feels like reaching. A trade down would be great but probably wishful thinking and then they miss out elite prospects trying to plug in needs. I think this draft is too early to grab a QB and it 's highly doubtful any top QB's get past NYG and Jax picking in front of them. We're stuck with Stafford for at least 2 more years. Drafting a QB high next year makes a lot of sense as he can be groomed behind Stafford for a year before being thrown into action. It's likely the Lions finish last in the division next year and end up with another top 10 pick in 2020 where they could grab their post-Stafford QB in a draft with more QB depth. 

The more I look at it I say draft the highest rated player regardless of position at #8. If he's one of the top 4 guys already mentioned then great, pull the trigger on an immediate need and if they're gone then concentrate on adding top shelf talent as this team isn't contending next year. They should be looking ahead to any roster holes for 2019 and potential ones in 2020. I wouldn't mind a top OT at #8. Lang and Wagner have 1 year left on their contracts, are injured frequently enough, and won't be resigned. That's a major hole coming after next year and will have to be addressed. Taking a DT seems wasteful with the current talent on the roster but Robinson is a FA after 2019, Snacks after 2020 and the run defense was poor prior to Snacks arrival. It wouldn't be awful to plan ahead and not end up repeating history in passing on Aaron Donald when Suh and Fairley were jettisoned 1 year later. Devin White at MLB possibly and see if Davis can move to OLB. 

Maybe this is all crazy talk but who would've guessed we would take Ragnow last year. I just hope they grab an elite prospect one way or another. Roster turnover is too frequent to  force plugging holes with lesser players as a non-contender.
Byron Murphy might be better than Greedy and I like Jachai Polite more than any pass rusher not named Bosa.

Any reports on who the Lions are targeting as their OC? Or are they waiting until the coaching carousel slows down?

Quinn 

zftcg said:
Any reports on who the Lions are targeting as their OC? Or are they waiting until the coaching carousel slows down?
Haven't seen any reports of them asking permission to interview anyone. Quinn spoke to the media for the first time since May, and said there's no rush. 8 teams still alive in the playoffs so the pool is limited, et al. It will be Patricia's hire.

It will be Patricia's hire.
As it should be. We have been over this subject before. GM should bring in his own HC, HC should bring in his own OC. One of the many reasons that franchise is so inept is ownership never wants to get rid of anyone at the right time, delaying any possible improvement.

As it should be. We have been over this subject before. GM should bring in his own HC, HC should bring in his own OC. One of the many reasons that franchise is so inept is ownership never wants to get rid of anyone at the right time, delaying any possible improvement.
Agreed. I understood the rationale for keeping JBC at the time, but it sounds like he and Patricia weren't on the same page. Realistically, Patricia has 1-2 more years to start showing improvement, so let him call the shots and see if he can turn things around.

packers just did this same kind of thing, brought in an HC, made him keep the DC....

You guys already know how this will end...

ALLEN PARK -- Back in October, when the Lions couldn’t cover anyone and when Teez Tabor was playing his way toward the bench, Detroit gave a promotion to a cornerback it had been studying for a month in practice.

The Lions called up Cre’Von LeBlanc, the 24-year-old they scooped up from Chicago at the start of the season, for a critical game against the Packers. They played him 26 snaps, and they beat Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay. LeBlanc wasn’t great, but it was his first game active, and the need for cornerbacks only rose a little more when Jamal Agnew seriously hurt his knee that same game.

But that was essentially the last of LeBlanc in Detroit’s secondary. He played three snaps over the next two games before the Lions released him to make room for wide receiver Andy Jones, only for the Eagles to claim LeBlanc off waivers.

Philadelphia had already traded for Golden Tate to try to launch a defense of its Super Bowl crown, but it’s arguable that the more impactful Lion has been LeBlanc. In nine games with the team, LeBlanc has become a full-time player at what was its weakest position. He hasn’t made many impact plays, but he has brought steadiness to a critical position. In the regular season, he allowed a quarterback rating of 92.7, per Pro Football Focus, which is just below the average NFL team’s quarterback rating of 93.8.

After another rough first game in which Philadelphia allowed 48 points to New Orleans, the Eagles have allowed 19 points per game and are 6-1. He’s done enough in the Eagles' divisional playoff run that former Lions coach Jim Schwartz told Philadelphia reporters that the scouting department’s find of LeBlanc “might have saved our season.”

Hindsight is always 20/20 with these decisions, especially as the roster churns so rapidly during the season to compensate for injuries, which Detroit was doing at receiver at the time. LeBlanc had a rough time in coverage in his first game up with the Lions, and they clearly still believed some in Tabor, a second-round draft pick still early in his second year.

However, to move on from LeBlanc after Agnew went on injured reserve was a choice they decided to make even after giving LeBlanc such a long look. They not only had him in practice for the first month of the season, but they also saw him twice when he played on the Bears in 2016 and 2017, including when he picked off Matthew Stafford and took it to the house.

Lions defensive backs coach Brian Stewart said the Lions' up-tempo and physical practices emulate game speed closely enough that it becomes easy to evaluate which players can play and which cannot. That’s how he decided undrafted cornerback Mike Ford was ready to come up and make an impact and how he knew Tabor wasn’t ready to play in Weeks 12-16, when he failed to see a single play on defense.

But the Lions chose to keep moving with Tabor in the weeks after they let LeBlanc go, and it didn’t turn out as planned. Tabor became the only cornerback with at least 100 coverage snaps to allow a perfect quarterback rating of 158.3 since Pro Football Focus started charting data in 2007.

It was a tough sophomore campaign for the draft pick that general manager Bob Quinn said he spent more time scouting than any other in his NFL career.

“Has Teez played as good as I would’ve hoped? No. I’ll be honest with you, no," Quinn said. "I’ve never stood up here and said, ‘I’m going to hit 1,000 percent on my batting average in free agency or the Draft.’ If I did, we’d win every game and we’d be 16-0 going to the Super Bowl.

“I know one thing, that I’m very confident with the decisions that we make about player acquisition. Teez hasn’t probably played as well as I would’ve hoped, but I think there’s still upside there.”

Even if Quinn is confident in his player decisions, he has to be hoping LeBlanc doesn’t turn out to be the one who got away.
...I have no doubt the Lions will cut Teez, and THEN he’ll become a Pro Bowler.

:lmao:

Monken to Browns. I was kind of hoping for the Lions to get him. Not sure who else is out there for OC, but if I were Patricia I'd get a young up-and-comer. He's got 1-2 years to turn this around, so swing for the fences.

Seems like a longshot but the draft pick would be 2020 or later if AB is traded after June 1.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/01/11/detroit-lions-pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown/2547596002/
Lot of chatter about Brown.   Would rather see the Lions keep the #1 and #3 and give Tate a good 3 year deal to return.  Tate is the kind or WR who will be productive for a few more seasons.   Losing 2 high picks and then having to pay Brown 16-18 for the next two years does not make sense.

Da Guru said:
Lot of chatter about Brown.   Would rather see the Lions keep the #1 and #3 and give Tate a good 3 year deal to return.  Tate is the kind or WR who will be productive for a few more seasons.   Losing 2 high picks and then having to pay Brown 16-18 for the next two years does not make sense.
If that is the cost, agreed.

I thought I understood he could be had for a lot less.. that PIT would have to shoulder a lot of the $ and cap hit.  But then I didn't understand how that worked.

If that is the cost, agreed.

I thought I understood he could be had for a lot less.. that PIT would have to shoulder a lot of the $ and cap hit.  But then I didn't understand how that worked.
I don`t want to overpay Tate either at 30, but he was very productive here.  Only problem this will be Tate's last contract so money will talk.

Both interesting options to talk about, but this current GM doesn't seem to be the type for either deal. Unless it's a clearance special like snacks I don't see him spending big bucks or early draft picks on anyone.

Darrell Bevell? I’m not at all excited about that. 
It's hard to decide if it's better or worse than waiting for a random Patriot guy to be available. At least there's minor buzz about him getting looks from other teams, but as far as the Lions go, this comes from out of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread