What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (35 Viewers)

Anyone else think Noah Fant just cemented his place on the Lions at 1.08? He looks like the kind of player that can totally change an offense.
Last week it was Hockenson.

eta - did I just hear Fant has a 42 inch vertical?  :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week it was Hockenson.

eta - did I just hear Fant has a 42 inch vertical?  :eek:
The Hockenson over Fant story was just to have something to write about. I mean just look at them at the combine, it's pretty clear which guy is a very good TE prospect and which guy is a 99th percentile prospect. 

Led college football in TE TDs, led college football in TE ypc, 82nd percentile dominator rating, 85th percentile breakout age, 21 years old, 6'4", 249, 4.51 speed and 42 inch vertical. Fant is going to be a mismatch nightmare in the NFL. Good luck putting a LB or slot CB on this guy. 

Led college football in TE TDs, led college football in TE ypc, 82nd percentile dominator rating, 85th percentile breakout age, 21 years old, 6'4", 249, 4.51 speed and 42 inch vertical. Fant is going to be a mismatch nightmare in the NFL. Good luck putting a LB or slot CB on this guy. 
Plus I hear he has great hands. 

But I can hear the fans and radio guys howling already.
Yeah it’s messed up but if I was gm my biggest worry about taking Fant at 8 would be the fans reaction based on Ebron. The fans hated Ebron and I think were a major reason he wanted out. If I’m a manager, I don’t want my top pick feeling like it’s an uphill battle with the fans.

Ilov80s said:
The Hockenson over Fant story was just to have something to write about. I mean just look at them at the combine, it's pretty clear which guy is a very good TE prospect and which guy is a 99th percentile prospect. 
One guy is a stud blocker....t

Yeah it’s messed up but if I was gm my biggest worry about taking Fant at 8 would be the fans reaction based on Ebron. The fans hated Ebron and I think were a major reason he wanted out. If I’m a manager, I don’t want my top pick feeling like it’s an uphill battle with the fans.
At the time the Lions were in a different situation. They did not need Ebron. With Suh being a UFA the next season
Donald was the logical pick..or OBJ if they wanted a weapon. 

Ebron made his own bed in Detroit..ran his mouth on Twitter, dropped passes, ran wrong routes, gave up on plays.

Plus the Lions let him walk.  Ebron was very immature at the time and sometimes it takes being released and getting with a new team to mature into a NFL player.

One guy is a stud blocker....t
Which is good but I think a blocking TE is a lot easier to find than a high end receiving TE. Of course we want both but I’ll take my chances with developing the elite athlete receiver into a blocker.

At the time the Lions were in a different situation. They did not need Ebron. With Suh being a UFA the next season
Donald was the logical pick..or OBJ if they wanted a weapon. 

Ebron made his own bed in Detroit..ran his mouth on Twitter, dropped passes, ran wrong routes, gave up on plays.

Plus the Lions let him walk.  Ebron was very immature at the time and sometimes it takes being released and getting with a new team to mature into a NFL player.
Yeah I agree but I’m just talking about how the fans may react and I don’t think fans are always as logical as you’ve been.

As far as the blocking goes, in a 2 TE 2 WR set Font would basicly replace the slot WR. So the recieving skills would be more at play as the blocking TE is probly already on the roster or easier to find.

Ilov80s said:
Either way it seems like something to write about, and either way it makes my stomach turn thinking about taking a TE at #8.

Also - it seems pretty clear to many people that Hockenson is still the better prospect.  

Either way it seems like something to write about, and either way it makes my stomach turn thinking about taking a TE at #8.

Also - it seems pretty clear to many people that Hockenson is still the better prospect.  
Given that the Lions do seem determined to run the ball and be physical, they still might like Hock more. 

There are a few DL that we probably should prioritize over TE but I’m nervous.

Given that the Lions do seem determined to run the ball and be physical, they still might like Hock more. 

There are a few DL that we probably should prioritize over TE but I’m nervous.
All kinds of good defense guys at every level. I still think that will be the 1st round, TE or slot WR might be more of a 2nd round type pick? Someone will drop.

I don't care who we take, any position, as long as he can play at a very high level.  I don't want to pass on a great TE for an average DE.  On the other hand, I don't want to pass on a great DE for a middle of the road TE.  we need playmakers everywhere

I don't care who we take, any position, as long as he can play at a very high level.  I don't want to pass on a great TE for an average DE.  On the other hand, I don't want to pass on a great DE for a middle of the road TE.  we need playmakers everywhere
If Ferrell or Sweat are there they have to go with EDGE in the first IMO; I'm seeing Gary projected often and I would not feel great about him.

Hoping we sign a solid DB starter (probably S) this month.

Which is good but I think a blocking TE is a lot easier to find than a high end receiving TE. Of course we want both but I’ll take my chances with developing the elite athlete receiver into a blocker.

Yeah I agree but I’m just talking about how the fans may react and I don’t think fans are always as logical as you’ve been.
Lions fans are the quickest to turn on their team. We could have a great offseason and if we go 3-out on our first drive of the year we hear boos. All offseason we will listen to guys rag on Stafford on talk radio, and how “insert U of M qb here” would be the answer. 

Can we, the fbg lions fans, do anything to turn this around? We have the passion as a fan base but we’ve been let down over and over, to the point where we all shrug and say “same old lions.”  Here we are talking about people’s heads exploding if we take a stud te. If we followed that logic we never would have drafted Calvin, maybe we should point that out. 

My greater point here is that at some point we have to change our cheering habits. You’ve all seen it, it’s like 10-7 in the second and we throw a pick or something and the crowd is afk the rest of the game. The game hasn’t been lost and maybe there was a bad play or a bad call (or a bad play call) but we need to bring the noise right back in spite of it, and we don’t.  I hear fans calling into radio shows that have basically given up on the season because we didn’t go back to the well at qb (they forget the parade of awful we saw from 1995-present List here- use this when someone is ragging on stafford.) I’m sure I’ll hear whining about how we don’t have Golden Tate and how that was a bad move. You’ll hear “lions fans” talk smack about every player we have and how they’ll never win before corn is even knee high. 

I don’t know how to change fan mentality (other than win) but I feel we should shoulder some of the blame here. Perhaps some of those early season home losses turn into wins if the fans can keep rooting for the right team, and could change the entire season. 

As I look back on this, and remember the jets game to open the year, that’s hard to get excited about week 2. But we need to do that for our team imo.

Greedy measured in nicely and has to be on the radar. I feel like for Detroit it’s down to Burns, Allen, Sweat, Greedy or one of the Iowa TEs. 

With Justin Houston released, I’m very interested in what he will get offered. He’s exactly what the Lions need. He got hurt last year in October but came back and played really well recording 7 sacks in the final 8 games.

Snorkelson said:
Here we are talking about people’s heads exploding if we take a stud te. If we followed that logic we never would have drafted Calvin, maybe we should point that out. 
I wanted Joe Thomas.  Would have been the better pick, even over Calvin.

At least I can say I've stuck to my guns on OL/DL first rounders for a decade +. 👍

Greedy measured in nicely and has to be on the radar. I feel like for Detroit it’s down to Burns, Allen, Sweat, Greedy or one of the Iowa TEs. 
I like him a lot if we don't have an EDGE rusher there. But I think there will be one they like.

Looks like the Giants are not going to tag S Landon Collins. Colts and Jets both have over $100M in cap space, Cowboys, Packers and Saints are also rumored to be interested.

How is that NOT someone the Lions are targeting?

I like him a lot if we don't have an EDGE rusher there. But I think there will be one they like.
What’s wrong with adding 2 edge rushers? We need a lot of help there 

Looks like the Giants are not going to tag S Landon Collins. Colts and Jets both have over $100M in cap space, Cowboys, Packers and Saints are also rumored to be interested.

How is that NOT someone the Lions are targeting?
Snacks is already trying to recruit him.

I’ve read some on twitter who don’t think Collins is a great fit for the Lions. They think Collins overlaps too much with Diggs and Wallker. I’m not really sure.

I’ve read some on twitter who don’t think Collins is a great fit for the Lions. They think Collins overlaps too much with Diggs and Wallker. I’m not really sure.
The free agent market for safeties is flooded with talent:

• Landon Collins
  • Earl Thomas
  • Lamarcus Joyner
  • Tyrann Mathieu
  • Adrian Amos
  • Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix
  • Eric Weddle
  • Clayton Geathers
  • Tre Boston
  • Kenny Vaccaro
  • George Iloka
  • Jimmie Ward
  • Adrian Phillips

BobbyLayne said:
The free agent market for safeties is flooded with talent:

• Landon Collins
  • Earl Thomas
  • Lamarcus Joyner
  • Tyrann Mathieu
  • Adrian Amos
  • Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix
  • Eric Weddle
  • Clayton Geathers
  • Tre Boston
  • Kenny Vaccaro
  • George Iloka
  • Jimmie Ward
  • Adrian Phillips
And I now I’ve read something that makes it sound like Collins is a perfect fit. Lots of options there at safety and I think we have to get one of them. Amos and Collins would definitely be my targets given their age and quality of play. 

And I now I’ve read something that makes it sound like Collins is a perfect fit. Lots of options there at safety and I think we have to get one of them. Amos and Collins would definitely be my targets given their age and quality of play. 
Time for the lions to get aggressive.

Sign Collins. Sign Flowers and draft Greedy (Collins and Greedy compliment each other perfectly). That’s a pretty damn good defense. 

Grab best available TE in 2nd or third (depending on value at pick) and draft oline/WR/LB with the rest. 

My perfect offseason 

Time for the lions to get aggressive.

Sign Collins. Sign Flowers and draft Greedy (Collins and Greedy compliment each other perfectly). That’s a pretty damn good defense. 

Grab best available TE in 2nd or third (depending on value at pick) and draft oline/WR/LB with the rest. 

My perfect offseason 
Love it. I am all for Amos or Collins and Flowers or Houston. I think Quinn needs results and should be aggressive. At 8 the Lions could see a special DE available and they can’t pass on that. In the 2nd, they should go for the best TE/WR option on the board. There should be someone special there. 

With Quin and Lang off the books, the Lions are a top ten team.

Top 10 teams in official cap space, as of Friday:

1. Colts: $101,523,486
  2. Jets: $95,023,883
  3. Browns: $80,722,665
  4. Bills: $75,324,783
  5. Texans: $73,338,667
  6. 49ers: $64,714,540
  7. Raiders: $62,507,480
  8. Bengals: $50,249,231
  9. Titans: $42,796,847
  10. Lions: $40,081,538
:popcorn:

We are the top team linked to Vikings LB Anthony Barr. I am all for that. He is big, pretty athletic, young and just reaching his peak. 

I just hope we don’t draft a long snapper. Looks great- cap room, bunch of mid round picks to work with- but getting FA to Detroit in any sport is hard, and the front office over the last couple years has opted for low price journeymen. 

Snorkelson said:
I just hope we don’t draft a long snapper. Looks great- cap room, bunch of mid round picks to work with- but getting FA to Detroit in any sport is hard, and the front office over the last couple years has opted for low price journeymen. 
2 years ago we got Wagner and Lang. While they weren't splashy, they were anything but low priced journeymen. They were basically the top OL on the market. 

Ilov80s said:
We are the top team linked to Vikings LB Anthony Barr. I am all for that. He is big, pretty athletic, young and just reaching his peak. 
Jets have been linked very heavily to Barr.

BobbyLayne said:

Only team on the schedule this year are the AB Raiders.

Former Dolphins’ WR Danny Amendola plans to sign with Detroit, per source. Amendola is in Detroit now, taking a physical and as long as there are no complications, he will be a Lion, reunited with GM Bob Quinn and HC Matt Patricia. #Lions

Complete and utter joke this entire regime

Former Dolphins’ WR Danny Amendola plans to sign with Detroit, per source. Amendola is in Detroit now, taking a physical and as long as there are no complications, he will be a Lion, reunited with GM Bob Quinn and HC Matt Patricia. #Lions

I’ll wait to see the $$ hit. We need, and still need, more at wr. Kenny and Marvin are ok,  and jones seems to fill a wr4/5 role ok, but outside that we got nothing. 50 rec from the slot? Ok- but I suppose I’d rather be drafting a couple guys in the mid rounds or adding someone with a little more to offer. For fantasy purposes I’ll expect another step from golladay with no one behind him to steal reps. 

Come on..Danny is a young 34 and has SuperBowl experience.   This is "The Patriot Way"

Users who are viewing this thread