What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (33 Viewers)

What a waste of a roster spot. He's the Blount of wide receivers. He averaged 9.7 yards per catch last year. That is RB and back-up TE level efficiency. 266th worst in the NFL. And for those that might suggest it was due to the Dolphins offensive struggles last year, his career yards per reception average is .....9.7. Every target this guy gets next year will be a total wasted play. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Snorkelson said:
. Looks great- cap room, bunch of mid round picks to work with- but getting FA to Detroit in any sport is hard
Not to excuse the pathetic results of all 4 local pro teams, but this is a real thing. Detroit is only a destination if they overpay FAs. And there goes the supposed level playing field of the salary caps.

I don't mind the signing. 1 year deal. But what I don't like is the tunnel vision toward former Patriots.

If former Patriots were any good, they wouldn't be former Patriots.

I don't mind the signing. 1 year deal. But what I don't like is the tunnel vision toward former Patriots.

If former Patriots were any good, they wouldn't be former Patriots.
The money and length is whatever. I am just worried he is going to get 80 targets. 

What a waste of a roster spot. He's the Blount of wide receivers. He averaged 9.7 yards per catch last year. That is RB and back-up TE level efficiency. 266th worst in the NFL. And for those that might suggest it was due to the Dolphins offensive struggles last year, his career yards per reception average is .....9.7. Every target this guy gets next year will be a total wasted play. 
They needed an outlet for Stafford..a poor mans Golden Tate.   If they are only looking for a guy who can catch the bubble screen, and the 3-4 yard crossing routes I guess he will be OK.   I doubt he was drawing much interest so with his injury history surprised they did not give him the vet minimum with incentives for catches and games played.

I think this is a culture move.  Bring in a guy that knows "The Patriot's Way" and have him help show it to the other guys.  I don't particularly like it, but a one year deal also isn't the end of the world, and there isn't anything saying he can't be cut.

I think this is a culture move.  Bring in a guy that knows "The Patriot's Way" and have him help show it to the other guys.  I don't particularly like it, but a one year deal also isn't the end of the world, and there isn't anything saying he can't be cut.
They did that trick with blount......didnt work.....should of resigned tate....

I think the Amendola signing will look better when we see the contracts that marginal talents like Humphries and Crowder are going to get... He fills a need, it's not sexy but theres a limited number of guys who are going to be able to catch 250MPH rockets from Stafford over the middle while being hammered repeatedly by ILBs.   I wouldn't be surprised if Ellington comes back as well.

I bet they still draft a WR, DA could just be a transition guy until the rookie is ready.
Agreed, it is a big need.

They needed an outlet for Stafford..a poor mans Golden Tate.   If they are only looking for a guy who can catch the bubble screen, and the 3-4 yard crossing routes I guess he will be OK.   I doubt he was drawing much interest so with his injury history surprised they did not give him the vet minimum with incentives for catches and games played.
They do need a slot WR but what is the point of giving those touches to an aging veteran with no upside and no big play ability? 

Maybe we can trade for Kyle van noy....
Or instead of drafting a TE at #8, if only we had a guy like Ebron on the roster. 

I don't care how many drops he had.....he was 1000x's better than what they rolled out at TE last year. 

The only good thing is a part of his contract allowed them to trade for snacks. 

If the alternative turns out to be Adam Humphries at 10 mil+, then meh. 

Otherwise, in before they grab Flowers, Dwayne Allen, McCourty, and the Patriots' waterboy.

Agreed, it is a big need.

They do need a slot WR but what is the point of giving those touches to an aging veteran with no upside and no big play ability? 
Dola is a former Pat.  Maybe they want him for leadership and to explain to the young players "The Pat way works"

Otherwise, in before they grab Flowers, Dwayne Allen, McCourty, and the Patriots' waterboy.
Humphries is 25 and just entering the prime of his career. He averages a full yard more per catch, was 8th in the NFL in YAC vs Danny's 44th. Danny signing fills a void for a WR 4 or 5 but I expect given his $4.5 guaranteed that we plan to use him as our slot WR. Besides that that every target he gets is a waste, it also means we still have a hole at slot WR we need to fill in the draft. 

Humphries  and Crowder are so much better. I wish we signed one of them.
I think you'll be glad they didn't. Amendola isn't a world beater, but he's also costing less than half of what either of those guys will cost, doesn't lock you into a long term deal, and still allows you to draft a WR highly. None of those guys are difference makers in my opinion, so why not get the cheapest one?

I think you'll be glad they didn't. Amendola isn't a world beater, but he's also costing less than half of what either of those guys will cost, doesn't lock you into a long term deal, and still allows you to draft a WR highly. None of those guys are difference makers in my opinion, so why not get the cheapest one?
Honestly, they aren't even in the same conversation. Danny is a backup level player in the twilight of his career. Humphries is an average starting NFL slot WR entering his prime. We are comparing a back-up who will be gone in a year with a long term starter. Given how huge the need for a slot WR is, I think this means they still need to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a guy who can be ready to start by at least midseason. So it did not fill any holes or anything. Which is fine as long as they don't plan on targeting him 80 times a game. 

Honestly, they aren't even in the same conversation. Danny is a backup level player in the twilight of his career. Humphries is an average starting NFL slot WR entering his prime. We are comparing a back-up who will be gone in a year with a long term starter. Given how huge the need for a slot WR is, I think this means they still need to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a guy who can be ready to start by at least midseason. So it did not fill any holes or anything. Which is fine as long as they don't plan on targeting him 80 times a game. 
I don't disagree that Humphries is better than Amendola, I just don't think Humphries is anything special, and he would require at least double the money this year, and a long term commitment. In this deep WR class, I'd rather have that day 2 WR than Humphries, and Amendola doesn't effect that. I also wonder if Humphries is good, or if he just benefited from teams being much more concerned about Evans, D-Jax, Howard etc.

I don't disagree that Humphries is better than Amendola, I just don't think Humphries is anything special, and he would require at least double the money this year, and a long term commitment. In this deep WR class, I'd rather have that day 2 WR than Humphries, and Amendola doesn't effect that. I also wonder if Humphries is good, or if he just benefited from teams being much more concerned about Evans, D-Jax, Howard etc.
True, I am just having flashbacks to when they signed Blount and everyone with a brain assumed it was just as a veteran back-up but then the Lions made him the starter and gave him the ball 154 times. 

I am not totally up on all WR contracts but is $4.5 million a year a good deal for a 4th WR?
Based on 2018 salaries, it would make him the 49th highest paid WR, so not really, but that said, several of the WR's in the 40-55 range are mediocre vets like Seth Roberts, Allen Hurns, Jermaine Kearse, Torrey Smith. All of those guys make slightly more, and I'd prefer Amendola to any of them. Just under $4.5 million is Cordarrelle Patterson, Ted Ginn and Willie Snead. I'd probably rank Amendola equal to them.

Based on 2018 salaries, it would make him the 49th highest paid WR, so not really, but that said, several of the WR's in the 40-55 range are mediocre vets like Seth Roberts, Allen Hurns, Jermaine Kearse, Torrey Smith. All of those guys make slightly more, and I'd prefer Amendola to any of them. Just under $4.5 million is Cordarrelle Patterson, Ted Ginn and Willie Snead. I'd probably rank Amendola equal to them.
That is fair, it's the basic junk pile of WRs. 

He may have marginal NFL value as a chain-mover a couple times per game, but that's really all he is.  Zero fantasy relevance on an offense with almost zero fantasy relevance.

He hasn't surpassed 65 catches in 9 years, he's never had 700 yards nor more than 4 TDs. 

Why are we talking about him?

He may have marginal NFL value as a chain-mover a couple times per game, but that's really all he is.  Zero fantasy relevance on an offense with almost zero fantasy relevance.

He hasn't surpassed 65 catches in 9 years, he's never had 700 yards nor more than 4 TDs. 

Why are we talking about him?

Interesting. When I listen to some of the podcasts, Kenny and Kerryon are two the players people seem most excited for this year. 

Interesting. When I listen to some of the podcasts, Kenny and Kerryon are two the players people seem most excited for this year. 
I'm a crotchety old Lions fan, I've given up all hope.

They want to run the ball and play defense.  Kerryon is not a pounder and Golladay won't be getting the 125 targets that we want him to.

Matt Patricia is about the same as Weis or Crennel. Thinks he can plug in the same parts and pieces without Tom Brady. Sounds good, doesn’t work.

Yea but at $4.5mm?

The #Lions are closing in on a deal with former #Seahawks CB Justin Coleman that will make him the NFL's highest-paid nickel, source said. Big addition for Matt Patricia's defense.

Ok now Schefter is reporting - 

Patriots DE Trey Flowers intends to sign with Detroit, per source.

ETA: That may have to change some of my negative thoughts.

Here I thought I was kidding...

Numbers are still coming in, but hearing 5 for 16-17 per? For sake of argument I'll say 17, plus 9 for Coleman and 4.5 for Danny. What does that give them on the salary cap. Around 9.5 left?

Here I thought I was kidding...

Numbers are still coming in, but hearing 5 for 16-17 per? For sake of argument I'll say 17, plus 9 for Coleman and 4.5 for Danny. What does that give them on the salary cap. Around 9.5 left?
Is there a decent TE out there for that? Cook or Eifert?

Users who are viewing this thread