What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (7 Viewers)

The Great...The Lions are a totally different team with a healthy Reggie Bush on offense..the key is can he stay healthy. On defense Suh is totally dominating the interior line and playing the best football of his career. Suh is such a disruptive force pushing OL back into ball carriers and the QB and just throwing plays off.

The Good...Riley Reif has been a pleasant suprise at LT..Peppers got around him to force a fumble but Peppers does that to every LT. The rebuilt OL in general has been better than most people thought. Kris Durman is stepping up in Nates absence and Stafford looks to him. Ziggy Ansah is really good but still so raw that tackles can use his speed against him by pushing him out of the play. Delmas can show he can still makes plays but can his knees hold up for a full season?? Quinn took a couple of bad angles yesterday but overall has been solid

Concerns..As usual the DBs play is still troubling. Slay looks lost out there and gets beat all day when he plays. And if the rush is not dominating they still can`t cover anyone..the good safety play has helped but this is still a huge concern.
Yes, the offense looks good barring injuries. Special teams look better, the punter/kickoff guy they drafted is a big upgrade and coverage seems better too. Defense still somewhat a weak link, Lions giving up 20 or more points now 12 regular season games in a row. At the quarter pole I'd give the overall team a grade that matches their record, a B.
Stopped the 20+ points given up streak @ 13 games. :thumbup:

Defense has to continue to get better if they are going to keep winning.

Looks like Ryan Broyles career may be in jeopardy after rupturing his achilles tendon yesterday.

2011- Torn left ACL, 2012-Torn right ACL, 2013 Torn achillles tendon. Broyles was still not 100% from the last ACL as far as speed and burst off the line and now this horrible injury. Can a WR have 3 worse injuries?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that increase the likelihood the Lions will pursue a WR this week? If they make a move quickly they would have the bye week to get someone prepared to play.

Looks like Ryan Broyles career may be in jeopardy after rupturing his achilled tendon yesterday.

2011- Torn left ACL, 2012-Torn right ACL, 2013 Torn achillles tendon. Broyles was still not 100% from the last ACL as far as speed and burst off the line and now this horrible injury. Can a WR have 3 worse injuries?
Ouch, that's devastating. I'm not sure if he can or can't but I'm hoping he can. What does this do to the Lions already thin WR corp? Man, it's Calvin or nothing for them. If Calvin or Bush go down this offense is in serious trouble.

Looks like Ryan Broyles career may be in jeopardy after rupturing his achilles tendon yesterday.

Ouch, that's devastating. I'm not sure if he can or can't but I'm hoping he can.What does this do to the Lions already thin WR corp? Man, it's Calvin or nothing for them. If Calvin or Bush go down this offense is in serious trouble.
Durham has been good as of late and could pick up some more targets. Lions are going to have to bring another WR in though for depth. The bad thing is now the Lions have wasted two high draft picks on WRs... Titus Young and Broyles.

Ouch, that's devastating. I'm not sure if he can or can't but I'm hoping he can.What does this do to the Lions already thin WR corp? Man, it's Calvin or nothing for them. If Calvin or Bush go down this offense is in serious trouble.
Durham has been good as of late and could pick up some more targets. Lions are going to have to bring another WR in though for depth. The bad thing is now the Lions have wasted two high draft picks on WRs... Titus Young and Broyles.
burleson should be back after the bye week.

Gotta think if the lions dont win the division they can get a wildcard. With ATL struggling and Chicago having big time injury issues the other wildcard opposite SF is theirs to take, most likely competition is Carolina/Chicago/Arizona. I dont think the NFC east will get two teams in the playoffs

burleson should be back after the bye week.

Gotta think if the lions dont win the division they can get a wildcard. With ATL struggling and Chicago having big time injury issues the other wildcard opposite SF is theirs to take, most likely competition is Carolina/Chicago/Arizona. I dont think the NFC east will get two teams in the playoffs
Good points.

No excuses now, first division in 20 years is there for the taking. QB injuries have helped get them there, they just have to find a way to take advantage & keep winning.

Wow..I thought I had seen all possible ways for the Lions to lose a football game over the years. I saw a new one yesterday.

Good comeback game, but need to take that to a higher level on the road vs an actual QB this week. Not always their strong suit.

Time for Schwartz to go
Past due. I really wish that Tom Lewand and Mayhew are shown the door as well. When Millen was fired they kept Lewand and Mayhew and the culture of the Lions remained.

The Lions will back in and win the North with an 8-8 record and all with get extensions.

Question I asked in another thread: Would you rather the Lions lose and clean house, or squeak into the playoffs? There's almost zero chance they could do much once they got there against a SF/NO/Car -- one thing we've learned about the Lions this year is that they can't win big games against the power teams -- and it seems like winning the division could salvage Schwartz's job. I just don't see them winning anything with that guy in charge. Even worse, despite the fact that I've been a Lions fan all my life, I find the Schwartz-led Lions to be distinctly unlikeable. I like most of the players, even Suh, but I can totally see how if I weren't a fan I would just hate them. Guys who blow games via dumb penalties, turnovers and mental mistakes are "lovable losers". They're just losers.

Lions fans get kicked in the nuts hard by this team week in and week out..we curl up in the fetal position and deal with the pain in the nuts and nausea to the stomach area delivered from the boots of the Lions. We slowly recover and then come back only get kicked in the nuts again. Why??

Lions fans get kicked in the nuts hard by this team week in and week out..we curl up in the fetal position and deal with the pain in the nuts and nausea to the stomach area delivered from the boots of the Lions. We slowly recover and then come back only get kicked in the nuts again. Why??
Because the area is big into football and the fans would like to take that beyond the college level. They really deserve better but the feeble owner has held them back for 50 years now & running.

Question I asked in another thread: Would you rather the Lions lose and clean house, or squeak into the playoffs? There's almost zero chance they could do much once they got there against a SF/NO/Car -- one thing we've learned about the Lions this year is that they can't win big games against the power teams -- and it seems like winning the division could salvage Schwartz's job. I just don't see them winning anything with that guy in charge. Even worse, despite the fact that I've been a Lions fan all my life, I find the Schwartz-led Lions to be distinctly unlikeable. I like most of the players, even Suh, but I can totally see how if I weren't a fan I would just hate them. Guys who blow games via dumb penalties, turnovers and mental mistakes are "lovable losers". They're just losers.
If GB & Chicago both win this week it will be a moot point as they play each other week 17 & the winner of that will win the division no matter what the lions do.

Last night was a rough loss... a 61 yard field goal?? :wall:

Gotta think the Steelers can beat the Pack if Rodgers isn't back and hopefully he can come back next week and beat Da Bears... Oh, and the Lions win out...

this collapse has pretty much been on Stafford. 3 ints last night, 4 vs tampa, 17 on the season

He isn't elite. and he curls up and dies in the clutch now

Terrible

this collapse has pretty much been on Stafford. 3 ints last night, 4 vs tampa, 17 on the season

Terrible
51 drops on the year by the Lions. I don't think any other team is in the 40s. There are a lot of problems in Det, not just Stafford.

Terrible
51 drops on the year by the Lions. I don't think any other team is in the 40s.There are a lot of problems in Det, not just Stafford.
when your QB makes mistakes, is constantly throwing side arm and over shooting guys. Hes pretty much the #1 problem.

Terrible
51 drops on the year by the Lions. I don't think any other team is in the 40s.There are a lot of problems in Det, not just Stafford.
when your QB makes mistakes, is constantly throwing side arm and over shooting guys. Hes pretty much the #1 problem.
Right, those throws to Calvin that were right on the money were the QBs problem.

Terrible
Right, those throws to Calvin that were right on the money were the QBs problem.
Calvin had uncharactistic drop last night

How about the 2 point pass? uncatchable high n outside fastballs

You a Stafford apologist or something? He has played like dog####

Terrible
Calvin had uncharactistic drop last nightHow about the 2 point pass? uncatchable high n outside fastballs

You a Stafford apologist or something? He has played like dog####
The 2 point pass was perfect. Stafford made bad plays last night but putting it all on him is ridiculous.

Maybe I'm blinkered, but I can absolutely picture Stafford winning a Super Bowl. He definitely has things he needs to improve, but he has the talent. Plus, dude is still only 25.

What I can't picture is Jim Schwartz coaching in one.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
jurb26 said:

Terrible
He throws side arm... do you credit his good throws for being side armed the same way you blame his bad throws for being side armed?

All 3 throws Calvin dropped were on the mark (the 2 point conversion pass could not have been better), all 3 side armed.

jurb26 said:

Terrible
He throws side arm... do you credit his good throws for being side armed the same way you blame his bad throws for being side armed?

All 3 throws Calvin dropped were on the mark (the 2 point conversion pass could not have been better), all 3 side armed.
He has very bad mechanics and his footwork has not improved over five years in the league. It would make him a better QB if they found someone to coach him up on his weaknesses.

He gets away with, in the same Favre did his entire career, because he has a cannon. IMO the big arm has made him lazy; not sure he'll ever really want to make any drastic changes to his approach.

I do like Stafford as a leader and think he has tremendous resiliency. He's the right kind of guy to have at the most important position. He's positive, energetic and his teammates believe in him.

But I would have to agree that from a consistency and efficiency standpoint, he's average or slightly above average. Usage helped him compile numbers in 2011 & 2012; they have a better run game this year - Warford and Waddle have solidified the right side - but he makes too many costly errors.

It's not just him. The defense plays well in stretches, then gives up a big play or commits stupid penalties. Though it was not the case in the most recent collapse, they typically get off to bad starts or see a reversal of trends in the 2nd half. Those two things have been a hallmark of the Schwartz regime. I'm of the opinion that points to his lack of preparation and his inability to adjust in game. The team lacks discipline, and again, I think that is on the coaches, and it starts with the HC.

Leroy Hoard said:
Because the area is big into football and the fans would like to take that beyond the college level. They really deserve better but the feeble owner has held them back for 50 years now & running.
Lot of bandwagoners jumped on the Tigers the last three years - its always been a great baseball town when they're competitive - and the Red Wings have had an incredible couple decades, as good as any franchise in any sport. But I've always believed it would be known as a football town if they weren't so inept. Michiganders love football at every level. F'n WCF doesn't understand excellence, Way too much emphasis on loyalty and giving coaches/GMs that 4th/5th/6th chance.

Do you guys realize that ******* actually sign the docs to purchase the Lions on the same day JFK got shot? Cursed.

jurb26 said:

Terrible

He has very bad mechanics and his footwork has not improved over five years in the league. It would make him a better QB if they found someone to coach him up on his weaknesses.

He gets away with, in the same Favre did his entire career, because he has a cannon. IMO the big arm has made him lazy; not sure he'll ever really want to make any drastic changes to his approach.

I do like Stafford as a leader and think he has tremendous resiliency. He's the right kind of guy to have at the most important position. He's positive, energetic and his teammates believe in him.

But I would have to agree that from a consistency and efficiency standpoint, he's average or slightly above average. Usage helped him compile numbers in 2011 & 2012; they have a better run game this year - Warford and Waddle have solidified the right side - but he makes too many costly errors.

It's not just him. The defense plays well in stretches, then gives up a big play or commits stupid penalties. Though it was not the case in the most recent collapse, they typically get off to bad starts or see a reversal of trends in the 2nd half. Those two things have been a hallmark of the Schwartz regime. I'm of the opinion that points to his lack of preparation and his inability to adjust in game. The team lacks discipline, and again, I think that is on the coaches, and it starts with the HC.
I don't disagree at all, i just find it odd to blame his bad throws on his mechanics... seemingly oblivious to the fact he throws like that all the time. Good, bad, in between.. all side arm. He has made some bad decisions this year in particular, and he certainly should improve footwork. Changing his throwing mechanics (arm) isn't gonna happen.

Stafford and that team as a whole needs discipline and accountability. There are no leaders who bring it and the coaching staff fails to drive it home.

Leroy Hoard said:
Lot of bandwagoners jumped on the Tigers the last three years - its always been a great baseball town when they're competitive - and the Red Wings have had an incredible couple decades, as good as any franchise in any sport. But I've always believed it would be known as a football town if they weren't so inept. Michiganders love football at every level. F'n WCF doesn't understand excellence, Way too much emphasis on loyalty and giving coaches/GMs that 4th/5th/6th chance.

Do you guys realize that ******* actually sign the docs to purchase the Lions on the same day JFK got shot? Cursed.
Yup, it all starts at the top and runs downhill from there.

WHOOOO WHOOOOO

Dear God I am a 46 year old man. You have answered all my other prayers. Please, please, please.....

Just once, can the Lions play a game in February?

Peace
You have better odds playing Mega Millions for the top prize :P

Stafford is an awful awful QB period....keep chucking it up all the time! Nice strategy up 7 against the freaking Giants. I remember he had like a 4 or 5 int game a couple of years or so back in Soldier Field....nice job paying all that money to this over-rated QB. Without Calvin, this guy would be on the street

Stafford is an awful awful QB period....keep chucking it up all the time! Nice strategy up 7 against the freaking Giants. I remember he had like a 4 or 5 int game a couple of years or so back in Soldier Field....nice job paying all that money to this over-rated QB. Without Calvin, this guy would be on the street
He's not awful. The problem is, he's just good enough to keep around. It's not like the Lions have a JAC/MIN/NYJ/OAK/CLE... level of QB play where making a QB change is a top priority. It's kind of like flipping a coin with this guy, he can win you any game or lose you any game. It's next to impossible to win a championship, though, if you are counting on that coin landing on heads 10-12 time out of 16, then 3 more in the playoffs.

Sweetness_34 said:
The more I watch Stafford the worse he looks. The troubling thing is that he has trouble throwing a short screen pass to a wide open RB.

Simply awful.

Schwartz reaction to the crowd booing him when we took the knee with 26 seconds, 2 TO's, 4+ WRs that are 6'4+ and a QB who at least can throw it long, was a disgrace.

This fanbase has been put through the ringer time and again, and this season we have chucked away a division title that was literally being handed to us on a silver platter. Heaven forbid that they should actually ####### do something first to help us believing again and getting behind them.

We have lost all four games at home to Bengals, Buccaneers, Ravens and Giants. We pretty much threw all of them away. The season has seemed to wash away from the moment we ran a fake field goal with a rookie in rain soaked conditions at Pittsburgh.

It may be that we can never have success with these owners, but whilst we have them, we still need to at least pretend to try, and therefore sack this entire coaching staff. Mayhew and Xander made strides this season so that is open to debate, but our O simply disappeared these past six odd weeks.

Schwartz in game decisions or lack of have been an absolute disaster. The apparent complete lack of due diligence with regards to fundamentals and preparation has been imo evidenced in the glut of turnovers.

We need an offensive minded HC to make the best of the weapons we have and actually create plays with an OC that aren't the worst in the league. He needs to be good with QBs and work on fixing some of Staffords problems and getting his confidence back.

Please don't take Jay Gruden from my Bengals. I think he would do wonders with that offense, especially with Reggie Bush.

Where do the Lions go after the collapse of 2013? A 1-6 finish.

Who would have thunk the fake FG blunder in Pitt "may" end up costing Schwartz his job in the long run. That game was the turning point of the season. Lions kick the chip shot there and go up 7 in the 4th who knows what would have happened.

Right now I really wish that Tom Lewand, Mayhew, Schwartz, and the whole staff would be canned and clean house correctly this time. Of course The Fords will never do that because they like familiar faces around.

In fact I would be very surprised if Schwartz is even fired after this debacle.

Lions meeting with Schwartz this morning. I would think if they are meeting this early he is gone.

I sure hope he's gone. Plenty of talent to win that division. You had two good teams to contend with who both lost their QBs. Nuthin.

Users who are viewing this thread