What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes, who goes? (5 Viewers)

Didn’t a 40-something Tom Brady just win one last year?
The convo I think wasn’t just about mobile QBs but also that it takes a true elite QB to win it all. Manning was pretty rough the year he won it. I’m not ready to say Brady wasn’t still playing top shelf football last year. 

Does anyone understand why Graham Glasgow is headed for FA? Should have been a no-brainer to lock him up before his rookie contract expired. Their most consistent, durable and versatile interior lineman.

Probably Slay’s last game today. He’ll hold out again if they don’t trade him first.

I don’t understand the direction they’re trying to take this team or what identity they want to establish.

Are the Lions paying Patricia in actual dollars?  If so, he's robbing them blind.

The team has heart and they played their butts off today, but they were completely let down by the people wearing headsets.

Patricia didn't lose this game singlehandedly, but everything he did was a net-negative and contributed to the eventual outcome.

If he had stayed home and ate Doritos the Lions would have won today.

The Lions will never win a game of any significance with him on the sideline.

So Pasqualoni and the conditioning coach need to go, but really, the injuries were the worst I've seen in a while.

I would hope defense in the first round. But we all know not to expect anything normal from this team.
I think the ‘skins would be open to trading back. I like Chase Young by a good margin over Derrick Brown. But what do I know, I thought Ed Oliver this year & we took Hock.

(He’s VG & I think he’ll continue to develop into a top 5 TE, but from a wholistic view I don’t get ever spending that kind of draft capital on the position.)

I’ve lost faith in Quinn; trading Diggs was the last straw for me. We’re already hearing rumblings Slay isn’t a an ideal fit, and it’s clear to me he won’t be finishing his contract next year. He’s the best cover corner in the division - these  guys got something against talent?

They keep using the excuse they’re building the foundation & discarding players that don’t fit their scheme, but we haven’t seen much evidence he and Patricia are good talent evaluators on the defensive side.  

This is Bob Quinn’s fifth offseason. Doesn’t even remotely feel like he and Patricia are building towards something. I’m not saying I wish we had owners like the Haslam’s (6 HC including interims since 2012) but I don’t think either is being brought back on merit. 

I’ve always been relatively optimistic in this team thread & chastened people for defeatist attitudes (SOL, etc.) I have absolutely no hope for 2020. Watched less football in 2019 since my first 3 years in NYC - I was working a ton of hours 1999-2001 - and might resign from the FF league I have commissioned for 25 years. The phantom calls on Trey Flowers ruined the season for me & I just can’t see being emotionally invested in the team anymore.

They don’t know have a clue.

Think I basically watched red zone since the Packers loss. Just couldn’t be bothered investing anymore into it this year. Gotta hope somebody trades up to 2 for a qb and we get Chase Young. The O should look after itself next year, maybe we get a new D coordinator in, couple of high draft picks, the D stays healthier and we have cap room to do some things so theres still hope we can be good next year but I’m not holding my breath for it 

Think I basically watched red zone since the Packers loss. Just couldn’t be bothered investing anymore into it this year. Gotta hope somebody trades up to 2 for a qb and we get Chase Young. The O should look after itself next year, maybe we get a new D coordinator in, couple of high draft picks, the D stays healthier and we have cap room to do some things so theres still hope we can be good next year but I’m not holding my breath for it 
I found the best case mock draft but I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/12/nfl-draft-2020-is-lsus-joe-burrow-still-locked-into-top-spot-with-bengals-will-ohio-states-chase-young-take-surprising-tumble-1st-round-mock.html

2020 Schedule:

Home opponents:

Packers (11-3)

Bears (7-8)

Vikings (10-4)

Saints (12-3)

Buccaneers (7-8)

Texans (10-5)

Colts (7-8)

Washington (3-12)

Away opponents

Packers (11-3)

Bears (7-8)

Vikings (10-4)

Titans (8-7)

Jaguars (5-10)

Panthers (5-10)

Falcons (6-9)

Cardinals (5-9-1)

Jazmyne Jones thanks fans for support

This is basically incomprehensible to me.

Close friends of mine unexpectedly lost their two year old girl a few weeks back. My brother lost an infant daughter many years ago. But as a father we of two I cannot say with certainty I would handle it well.

I get that Marvin Jr & his wife are believers; it’s the most important aspect of my life. But I am so humbled when I see folks endure unimaginable pain and agony with such grace. 

The Jones were on the sideline yesterday. Slay talked about how much that meant to him, that he’d go through a wall for his friend. And that’s really the only thing that I enjoy about this team, they have quality people in the locker room.

But it’s gotta be tough. No matter how much you wanna believe the other guys will fight as hard as you, deep down you kinda know you’re getting out-schemed, out-prepared and out-coached.

The Lions led fourteen games this year. They have some talent. They should have been able to win 10 games easily. Injuries, yes, though actually in terms of man games missed by starters they were middle of the pack. But they have lacked the intangible confidence, self-belief and will that separates consistent winners. We’ve seen it so often through the decades: different coaches, different players, same shaky confidence that cannot sustain a good start. 

It is surreal. I don’t believe in luck or curses. But this franchise is almost singular in North American team sports for sheer ineptitude & new/strange ways to lose a game or ruins season.

Fords back, Quinn back, Patricia back  yuk. Only thing to get  excited about is Stafford will be back but will he be healthy? Is the back a long term issue now?

Quinn stated yesterday he had no regrets about the Qandre Diggs trade. Wow. Must have plans for drafting another long snapper with that pick. With the Lion defense being so bad against the pass Quinn's comments are just strange and self serving. Paid big FA$ for Flowers and he had little impact. No adequate backup QB.  Big Reaches on Tabor and Tavai on the draft. The Tabor pick was so poor. Guy was slow and slower. Its a pick that Quinn talked himself into making. Joe average fan like myself and most others knew it was bad pick. They were reaching for guys they thought fit their system. 

Excuse for me being so sour for next season already but geez. Lions seemed to be outplayed in the second half of their games and that's on the coach and the lack of depth which is on Quinn.

I remember many other poor Lion teams from the past and the fans were told that though their record was poor the team didn't quit As if that's enough. If you have nothing else to be proud of you can say that.

If Stafford isn't healthy for next year, the Lions are headed for another real bad season with this same mgt crew back. Lions fans are some of the best in the NFL they deserve so much more than what they have gotten.

Bonamego is gone, as are the strength coaches, Al Golden, and a few others. Baffled as to why they brought Pasqualoni back, because that defense was beyond awful.

Bonamego is gone, as are the strength coaches, Al Golden, and a few others. Baffled as to why they brought Pasqualoni back, because that defense was beyond awful.
I'm guessing Matt will try to add something himself to the equation.  Nothing would help his rep more than to escape the current theme of being a defense guy at head coach that had a horrible D this year.

P. J. Fleck's Minnesota team beat Auburn in their bowl game. Fleck has now taken two long underperforming programs (Western Michigan and Minnesota) and turned them around.

I think that the Lions need a coach with a history of investing in losing cultures and making them winners. I do not know if Fleck would be a good fit but starting anew and establishing a new culture and identity is what this franchise needs and appeals to me.

Hopefully Fleck's success continues and he becomes a possibility for a NFL coaching position after the likely to me Patricia/Quinn poor showing next year.

64 yards allowed from being the worst defense in franchise history.

"What does a coach have to do around here to get fired?" - Lions HC, 1988

I think the ‘skins would be open to trading back. I like Chase Young by a good margin over Derrick Brown. But what do I know, I thought Ed Oliver this year & we took Hock.

(He’s VG & I think he’ll continue to develop into a top 5 TE, but from a wholistic view I don’t get ever spending that kind of draft capital on the position.)

I’ve lost faith in Quinn; trading Diggs was the last straw for me. We’re already hearing rumblings Slay isn’t a an ideal fit, and it’s clear to me he won’t be finishing his contract next year. He’s the best cover corner in the division - these  guys got something against talent?

They keep using the excuse they’re building the foundation & discarding players that don’t fit their scheme, but we haven’t seen much evidence he and Patricia are good talent evaluators on the defensive side.  

This is Bob Quinn’s fifth offseason. Doesn’t even remotely feel like he and Patricia are building towards something. I’m not saying I wish we had owners like the Haslam’s (6 HC including interims since 2012) but I don’t think either is being brought back on merit. 

I’ve always been relatively optimistic in this team thread & chastened people for defeatist attitudes (SOL, etc.) I have absolutely no hope for 2020. Watched less football in 2019 since my first 3 years in NYC - I was working a ton of hours 1999-2001 - and might resign from the FF league I have commissioned for 25 years. The phantom calls on Trey Flowers ruined the season for me & I just can’t see being emotionally invested in the team anymore.

They don’t know have a clue.
Slay is overrated the last couple of years imo.  Let someone else pay for his declining production.

Good news. I'm sure Martha cut him a nice retirement check and the keys to a 2020 Lincoln.  I just hope the next DC has a clue of what he is doing.

Lions seemed to use more 3 man rushes than I thought normal. If true was that due to scheme or lack of DL talent?

Also one of the Detroit newspapers talked about Patricia's preference for man to man pass D as a scheme and its effect on INTs and lack of turnovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
So was Pasqualoni Patricia's guy or what? Feels like this is Matty P reloading for one last shot; if he doesn't turn things around he's probably not making it to the end of 2020.
Him and the GM also. Not all of this can be pinned on the HC.

Him and the GM also. Not all of this can be pinned on the HC.
Definitely. MP and Quinn are Thelma and Louise, holding hands as they get ready to drive over the cliff.

In all seriousness, there have been plenty of coaches/GMs who were left for dead and managed to turn things around last minute (remember when Harbaugh was supposedly on the outs in Baltimore?) And I would love nothing more than to discover the Lions have been gradually implementing their master plan, and next year is when it finally all comes to fruition. But I'm not betting my kids' college fund on it, ya know?

Lions seemed to use more 3 man rushes than I thought normal. If true was that due to scheme or lack of DL talent?

Also one of the Detroit newspapers talked about Patricia's preference for man to man pass D as a scheme and its effect on INTs and lack of turnovers.
The DL had injuries but heading into the season, many experts speculated Detroit had the most talented DL in the NFL. I also don’t think Patricia likes to blitz. That’s not his style. He also doesn’t like speedy edge rushers. He likes his DEs and LBs to be really big. I don’t think guys like Devin Bush, Harold Landry or Brian Burns were ever on the Lions radar.

So was Pasqualoni Patricia's guy or what? Feels like this is Matty P reloading for one last shot; if he doesn't turn things around he's probably not making it to the end of 2020.
Pasqualoni was absolutely Patricia’s guy. He mentored Patricia early in his career.

So was thinking Lions may have trouble hiring quality assistants due to the "playoff contender" mandate delivered by Martha. If team fails next year the whole ship goes down.

Of course playoff contender to the Fords may mean 7-9 or 8-8, if team is in contention as late as the last 4 games of the season.

It will be interesting to see who is hired and the length of their contract. 

So was thinking Lions may have trouble hiring quality assistants due to the "playoff contender" mandate delivered by Martha. If team fails next year the whole ship goes down.

Of course playoff contender to the Fords may mean 7-9 or 8-8, if team is in contention as late as the last 4 games of the season.

It will be interesting to see who is hired and the length of their contract. 
Good point. I also wonder if Patricia does the thing where he doesn't hire assistants with previous head-coaching experience in order to make it less likely he will be fired mid-season. Although I suppose Bevel has been around long enough that he would probably get the gig.

Rams fire Wade Phillips. His rumored replacement? Joe Barry.

On behalf of Lions fans everywhere, may I be the first to say 

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

Speaking of Phillips, if I were the Lions I would try to hire him. Next season is make-or-break for both Patricia and Quinn, and the one thing Phillips is known for is executing quick turnarounds. But I sense that Patricia is too much of a control freak to hire a big name who would get all the credit if the D did improve. Hope I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread