What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes, who goes? (45 Viewers)

Regarding the incompetent part …..,the Lions signed Undlin who was the Eagles DB coach as new D coordinator. Eagles fans on this board are thanking Detroit for hiring Undlin.

Wade Phillips was still unsigned, doesn't sound like he was even considered. Hard to accept that this isn't another whiff by the Lions.
well he's a former Patriot's assistant. These guys will keep hooking each other up for years to come. maybe we can find a way to get Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis on the staff too. 

well he's a former Patriot's assistant. These guys will keep hooking each other up for years to come. maybe we can find a way to get Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis on the staff too. 
Poor old Martha has no no clue what is happening beneath her. They just keep spinning their way to keep their jobs as well as their best buds.

The lead-up to the draft is going to create a massive upswell for the #2 QB in this draft.  I'm not convinced it's Tua.

This will cause the Redskins to either take that QB or trade out of #2.  The Loins will get Chase Young.

With Martha not pulling the trigger to terminate Quinn/Patricia it effects the quality of coaches and the quality of FAs that will come to Detroit. The lack of certainty about what happens after the 2020 season regarding role and scheme will be a factor.

I can see some reasons why they were retained but you also handicap the team for the next year and delay the rebuild if it is needed. I think you can establish accountability through termination without a warning beforehand. You want your organization to know that good results are expected from the start. I would have parted ways with Quinn and Patricia but that's me.

Money shouldn't have been a factor, the Fords have enough. Attendance has been down the last two years and I am hearing more talk before of fans wanting the team sold.

Leroy Hoard said the Lions are Incompetent and unlucky. That is no way to go through life

The lead-up to the draft is going to create a massive upswell for the #2 QB in this draft.  I'm not convinced it's Tua.

This will cause the Redskins to either take that QB or trade out of #2.  The Loins will get Chase Young.
yeah Im not sure the new brass would want Haskins or Tua. who you thinking the #2 QB could be? Herbert? Love?

The more I watch Jerry Jeudy, the more I am convinced he is the BPA after Burrow and Chase Young.

You don't need to burn the #3 pick on a WR, but he looks a combo of Marvin Harrison and Isaac Bruce. 

The more I watch Jerry Jeudy, the more I am convinced he is the BPA after Burrow and Chase Young.

You don't need to burn the #3 pick on a WR, but he looks a combo of Marvin Harrison and Isaac Bruce. 
I've actually seen him mocked to the Lions at #3.  Him and Kenny G. would make nice bookends.

from the Twitters:

49ers' record by season:
2015: 5-11
2016: 2-14
2017: 6-10
2018: 4-12
2019: 13-3 

The first team to ever follow four straight seasons with 10+ losses with a Super Bowl appearance. Incredible turnaround.
Only two more double digit loss seasons & Coach P should have them primed for their first ever SB run in 2022.

I’m presuming they’ll deal Matthew a year from now for picks, before he gets broken in half.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was ready to dismiss this "Tua to the Lions" speculation as crazy message-board talk, but I guess now it has support from the physical manifestation of NFL conventional wisdom, Peter King:

I think this is my favorite analysis of Tua Tagovailoa, from one of my favorite analysts, Dan Orlovsky: “It’s going to take a courageous general manager to draft him, and it’s going to take a courageous general manager to pass on him.” When Orlovsky told me that, I immediately thought of two teams: Detroit, picking third, and Miami, picking fifth. How can Tagovailoa get past Miami—that’s my first thought.

But think if you’re Detroit. Matthew Stafford’s been the quarterback there 11 seasons. He’s never won a playoff game, and the Lions are 13 under .500 in games he starts, and he’s entering his age-32 season. Sometimes, even when something’s not your fault, it might be time to wipe the slate clean. If the Lions draft Tua and keep Stafford this year, then cut Stafford in 2021, it’s a $19-million cap hit (when the cap will likely be well over $200 million the first year of the new CBA, assuming no work stoppage), per Over The Cap. The Lions, at minimum, should do very serious homework on the Alabama QB coming back from his hip injury. I’d be concerned with two high ankle sprains and the hip surgery in the span of 13 months. That’s something you’d better be sure of if you pick him. But if you get past that, how do you pass on him, even with a decent QB situation on your team?

Read two recent articles that were Lions related.

In one Martin Mayhew, former Lions GM  now with Frisco front office, said he regretted passing over Aaron Donald in order to draft Eric Ebron. Think he said that Donald didn't fit their scheme.

In the other, Richard Sherman stated he was offered more guaranteed money by the Lions than he was offered by San Francisco but chose to sign with SF because of Patricia.

Felt that Patricia would mimic BB and also that Patricia would run too hard practices that would wear out his body.

I posted in the other thread.. with the NYG picking after them, the Lions have no leverage.

Zero chance NYG takes a QB, so teams would just trade to #4.

Unless DET can convince people they want a QB.

Read two recent articles that were Lions related.

In one Martin Mayhew, former Lions GM  now with Frisco front office, said he regretted passing over Aaron Donald in order to draft Eric Ebron. Think he said that Donald didn't fit their scheme.

In the other, Richard Sherman stated he was offered more guaranteed money by the Lions than he was offered by San Francisco but chose to sign with SF because of Patricia.

Felt that Patricia would mimic BB and also that Patricia would run too hard practices that would wear out his body.
Posts like this make me want to petition the mods to add an angry response button alongside Like, Thanks, Love and Laughing. Guess I'll just have to settle for this:  :hot:

Amazing to think that the Lions were perfectly positioned to take both DeMarcus Lawrence and Donald but instead ended up with Charles Rogers and Ebron. And this isn't 20/20 hindsight; everyone at the time was saying they should have made those picks.

As for Sherman, I can't argue with his logic.

In possibly more encouraging news, Bill Barnwell identifies the Lions as one of five teams best positioned to be next year's version of the Niners. You can read the whole thing at the link, but here are the bullet points:

• Similarity: They spent most of 2019 without their starting quarterback. 
  • Similarity: They didn't rack up many interceptions. 
  • Similarity: They have an X's-and-O's genius on staff. 
  • Difference: They (probably) won't be able to use their high draft pick to add the draft's best pass-rusher. 
  • Similarity: They could use a high draft pick to address a key defensive point of weakness. 
  • Similarity: They blew a lot of games late. 
  • Difference: Their coach doesn't have a track record of success in multiple places.

who exactly is the x n o genius on the staff?
Yeah, I thought that was a stretch. He says it's Patricia because he was the one who came up with the game plan to slow down the Rams that the rest of the league has since copied. Of course, the Lions gave up 30 points and lost that game, so  :shrug:

Yeah, I thought that was a stretch. He says it's Patricia because he was the one who came up with the game plan to slow down the Rams that the rest of the league has since copied. Of course, the Lions gave up 30 points and lost that game, so  :shrug:
He's such a genius that the Pats D has gotten better since he left while the Lions has gotten worse while supposedly adding more talent.

I think the Lions sitting pretty actually, Miami, Carolina and SD all need QBs badly.....Figure Cincy takes Burrow, and if Washington likes Haskins (who knows, new coach, new GM, hes cheap though) means the lions get Chase Young, or one of those 3 teams (maybe others) offer picks to move up......Herbert/Tua…. someone falls in love and goes and gets them I think. Lions for better or worse are sticking with Stafford until he retires

He's such a genius that the Pats D has gotten better since he left while the Lions has gotten worse while supposedly adding more talent.
The Pats D didn't really get better. They just had the easiest first half schedule this season. But yes all of these Pats assistant coaches seem to bomb after they leave, mainly because Tom Brady doesn't go with them. It will be interesting to see what the Pats record looks like after Brady retires. Maybe they will find another HOF QB in the 6th round that can play for 20 years while the rest of the AFC East continues to suck. 

TwinTurbo said:
The Pats D didn't really get better. They just had the easiest first half schedule this season. But yes all of these Pats assistant coaches seem to bomb after they leave, mainly because Tom Brady doesn't go with them. It will be interesting to see what the Pats record looks like after Brady retires. Maybe they will find another HOF QB in the 6th round that can play for 20 years while the rest of the AFC East continues to suck. 
You can even include BB himself along with all those assistants.

No rings until the #199 pick replaced the #1 pick.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
I think the Lions sitting pretty actually, Miami, Carolina and SD all need QBs badly.....Figure Cincy takes Burrow, and if Washington likes Haskins (who knows, new coach, new GM, hes cheap though) means the lions get Chase Young, or one of those 3 teams (maybe others) offer picks to move up......Herbert/Tua…. someone falls in love and goes and gets them I think. Lions for better or worse are sticking with Stafford until he retires
I don't think Washington will give up the 2, at least not for anything reasonable.  That is bad because I really want Young on the Lions, but good in that Detroit's is the most likely pick to get traded.

Please no.

Marcus Mariota 2.0. 

Bust.
I don’t know if he is Mariota 2.0.....but I would agree that I do not want the Lions to draft him either. Even if he does turn out to be a good quarterback his skill set lends to some creativity on offense. The Lions would not know how to harness that. 

I don’t know if he is Mariota 2.0.....but I would agree that I do not want the Lions to draft him either. Even if he does turn out to be a good quarterback his skill set lends to some creativity on offense. The Lions would not know how to harness that. 
This I can somewhat agree with. Will the Lions use him effectively? I don’t know. But it think we will be looking for a QB in a couple years no matter what so why not take him now. 

Either way you believe, it has little chance of happening. Fords have never listened to anything the fans or media have to say and their top employees are under a win now directive.

Wojo is so annoying, but in this case I agree with him. 

I’m a Stafford fan but we’ve won nothing with him (no it’s not all his fault)...its time to move on. Let him go win somewhere else. 
So because the team has sucked around him, it’s time to get rid of our best player in his prime?

This I can somewhat agree with. Will the Lions use him effectively? I don’t know. But it think we will be looking for a QB in a couple years no matter what so why not take him now. 
Take a good passer then.

We would have our pick of anyone aside from Burrow.. why take the one both hurt and with the most question marks?

Maybe I am in the wrong still thinking Stafford is not the problem. If I knew Stafford was going to be healthy for the next five years I would want to stay course and strengthen other areas. That is the biggest question for me. 

Maybe I am in the wrong still thinking Stafford is not the problem. If I knew Stafford was going to be healthy for the next five years I would want to stay course and strengthen other areas. That is the biggest question for me. 
I think this all decides on the 2020 season. Lions suck/and or Stafford gets injured again they move on in 2021 with a new QB that the new regime chooses themselves.  They show improvement/he stays healthy they stay the course.

With Martha's mandate, the Lions drafting a QB early is a long shot. I see lots of defensive players in our future and a RB along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread