What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes, who goes? (9 Viewers)

True, lions should just get rid of all those losers and go the way of the tigers and wings. Just look how awesome they are doing.

Summer Wheat said:
Hard to believe this will be Stafford's 12th NFL season. Stafford has 1 playoff win correct?
Zero wins even with Megatron. 

I think Stafford is a fine QB, but if you can't get a playoff win at least once in your prime with one of the greatest WR of all time, then it's not happening now either. Even Jay Cutler managed to win 1 playoff game. And that's my comp for Stafford. He's a slightly better version of Jay Cutler. You could do a lot worse than either of these guys at QB, but they both ended up in the same division where they were not the best QB and did not play for the best team. And that usually means no playoffs or a wild card game at best against a better team. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I think Stafford is a fine QB, but if you can't get a playoff win at least once in your prime with one of the greatest WR of all time, then it's not happening now either. Even Jay Cutler managed to win 1 playoff game. And that's my comp for Stafford. He's a slightly better version of Jay Cutler. You could do a lot worse than either of these guys at QB, but they both ended up in the same division where they were not the best QB and did not play for the best team. And that usually means no playoffs or a wild card game at best against a better team. 
That’s a down right pathetic effort by an organization. To have a good qb for that long and not surround him with any sort of competent team in over a decade, wow. 

Everytime people try to argue against Stafford, they always seem to better yet make the argument against the franchise.

Article popped up on my google news feed this AM about how the Lions have the worst winning % over the last 50 years.

To catch the Steelers (#1) - the Lions would have to go undefeated for 10 straight seasons and the Steelers would have to go winless for 10 straight seasons.  :lmao:

You can even include BB himself along with all those assistants.

No rings until the #199 pick replaced the #1 pick.
Imagine for a moment:  in the 2000 draft 6th round, instead of picking Quinton Reece (DE - Auburn), the Lions instead draft local college QB Tom Brady.  Does anyone truly believe that Tom Brady would have developed into the GOAT if that would've happened? 

Look how many QBs the Lions have drafted since 1980, many of them Heisman Trophy winners or finalists.  Yet, they all sucked.  Not only would Tom Brady not have become the GOAT, I wonder if he'd ever have become a competent starter.  He wouldn't have had BB to develop successful game plans nor a good coaching staff to recognize and maximize his talents.

This isn't a knock on Brady, it is just a statement about how truly terrible this organization is and has been for the past 60 years.

Imagine for a moment:  in the 2000 draft 6th round, instead of picking Quinton Reece (DE - Auburn), the Lions instead draft local college QB Tom Brady.  Does anyone truly believe that Tom Brady would have developed into the GOAT if that would've happened? 

Look how many QBs the Lions have drafted since 1980, many of them Heisman Trophy winners or finalists.  Yet, they all sucked.  Not only would Tom Brady not have become the GOAT, I wonder if he'd ever have become a competent starter.  He wouldn't have had BB to develop successful game plans nor a good coaching staff to recognize and maximize his talents.

This isn't a knock on Brady, it is just a statement about how truly terrible this organization is and has been for the past 60 years.
I said the same thing about Emmitt smith.  If the Lions had Smith and the Cowboys had Sanders, Sanders would have been the NFL career rushing leader and people would be saying Emmitt who??

Also, would he have gotten the chance to even play? The Patriots didn't know what they had until their QB got hurt. There's a not too unrealistic possibility that if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt, he starts for the Pats for another 4-5 years and Brady winds up labeled as a career back-up journey man or maybe even washes out of the league.

The question isn't about how good Stafford is right now, this team isn't winning right now.  How long is Stafford going to play is the question.  He's battling through back surgery, his wife is a cancer survivor.  At what point is he going to hang them up.  How many more top 3 picks are they going to get?  Agree the smart choice is to trade out if they can, but taking a QB shouldn't be overlooked if the offers they get are not good enough.

The question isn't about how good Stafford is right now, this team isn't winning right now.  How long is Stafford going to play is the question.  He's battling through back surgery, his wife is a cancer survivor.  At what point is he going to hang them up.  How many more top 3 picks are they going to get?  Agree the smart choice is to trade out if they can, but taking a QB shouldn't be overlooked if the offers they get are not good enough.
Obviously the back is a wildcard. We don't know what the doctors are saying. If we assume they give him a clean bill of health, he most likely has 4-6 years left. It seems like around age 36-38 is when we are seeing most of these franchise QBs decline. In the NFL that is an eternity given quickly teams can swing from bad to good (and vice versa). 

Who would rather trade?

Slay or Stafford?

Or both? 
I think they are too many players away to win this year or next so I would trade them both. 

Knowing they won’t move Stafford I hope they keep Slay, trade back and pray they hit on the picks. 

ETA - I believe in Stafford and like him a lot so it’s not that I want him to go. But I wouldn’t mind seeing what he could do in a winning organization. 

As far as what actually happens, Slay will be the one to go. Stafford has always said the right things and Slay has not. That's how decisions are made in Lionsland.

As far as what actually happens, Slay will be the one to go. Stafford has always said the right things and Slay has not. That's how decisions are made in Lionsland.
And Slay is 29 on the last year of his deal. He's been fantastic for Detroit but CBs can fall off pretty quickly after 30. 

I was messing around with the TheDraftNetwork Mock Drafter Machine and if Detroit could get 5, 26 and 70 from Miami, it could look something like this:

S/OLB Isaiah Simmons- Lions base defense uses 3 safeties and Simmons is the ideal 3rd safety to play near the line of scrimmage. He can pass rush, go sideline to sideline against the run and cover RBs/TEs on pass routes. 

WR Jalen Reagor- Marvin Jones is likely in his last year with Detroit and Amendola isn't long for the league. Reagor instantly brings field stretching speed which matches up well with Stafford's strengths. I think he could do damage with YAC and seam routes in the slot as a rookie and then replace Marvin as an outside option in the future. 

CB Jeff Gladney - The TCU corner is lean but long with excellent man to man traits which fit well with Detroit's scheme. Also, while he needs to add weight, he isn't shy about making tackles. 

RB Cam Akers- Kerryon is skilled but seems fragile and if the GM wants a run oriented team then they can't make the same mistake they did last year of entering the season with Kerryon and fringe NFL backs. Akers gives the Lions a dynamic duo 

OG Ben Bredeson Detroit screwed up the Glasgow situation so they need someone with NFL size, athleticism and strength to potentially play this year. Bredeson has a ton experience at Michigan and for a Day 2 pick, should be able to contribute right away if needed. 

Before the draft, there is this thing called Free Agency. Props to Faust for the link.

#7-10 all look interesting.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best-available-nfl-free-agents-in-2020
Have to be careful in FA. The high priced guys are often land mines. Chris Jones is a beast and would be a great addition. Chris Harris is really only good in the slot and is aging out of his prime now so I am not too sure about him since we targeted a slot CB last FA as well. I don't know enough about Byron's quality as a corner but he's a better age for 3-4 year investment than Slay. With Harris, it has to be a reasonable cost since this was like his 5th or 6th year in the league and he just became a full time starter last year. 

Anything's possible but I'm very skeptical of Lions dealing Stafford.  If they're being smart, they're using the possibility of drafting a QB as leverage for a trade down.

Anything's possible but I'm very skeptical of Lions dealing Stafford.  If they're being smart, they're using the possibility of drafting a QB as leverage for a trade down.
They won’t deal Stafford. The only question is if they are smart  enough to get max value for the pick. Assuming Washington is locked in on Chase this is their one opportunity to cash in and potentially change the fortunes of the franchise...assuming Quinn doesn’t waste the picks on the next Davis, or Tabor because he’s the smartest guy in the room. 

Doesn't hurt that Stafford is a better player at a more important position as well. Slay has declined each of the last 2 years, and while injuries are somewhat to blame, he hasn't played like a top notch CB since 2017. 

I will say, if they do end up keeping the pick, Jeffery Okudah is an amazing CB prospect. I'd say only Jalen Ramsey has more talent in recent history. Okudah is like a more athletic Marshon Lattimore. 

Had to laugh at that one.  As a life-long (suffering) Lions fan, seeing the Lions being smart is pretty much akin to spotting Big Foot.

Due to the financial ramifications, I don't think there is any possibility of the Lions trading Stafford.  I have to hope that they will use the pick to maximize value.  Would love to see them trade down once or twice back to six or seven (down to 5, then again to 6 or 7).  I'm not sure if it's better to pretend to be interested in taking Tua or making it known that they will trade the pick to the best offer.

Doesn't hurt that Stafford is a better player at a more important position as well. Slay has declined each of the last 2 years, and while injuries are somewhat to blame, he hasn't played like a top notch CB since 2017. 

I will say, if they do end up keeping the pick, Jeffery Okudah is an amazing CB prospect. I'd say only Jalen Ramsey has more talent in recent history. Okudah is like a more athletic Marshon Lattimore. 
I think he's a good prospect, I just think that #3 is too high to draft a CB.

No way they trade Stafford. The GM and HC are in a must win now position. They don’t have time to draft a rookie QB and developing him. 

I think he's a good prospect, I just think that #3 is too high to draft a CB.
A lot of the pods and articles I read seem to think QB, OT, DE and CB are the 4 most important positions in the NFL. While I think CB is clearly 4th on that list, getting a Patrick Peterson type is incredibly valuable. After Chase, there’s no DE worth a top 10 pick. Lions don’t need CB and OT isn’t the most pressing need. 

It likely comes down to CB vs DT vs hybrid LB/S

The lions need to flip this pick into two firsts and a second/high third at a minimum. Even if one of the firsts is next year. Ideally they trade back with a team in the top ten and have a chance to take Okudah regardless. That's my best case scenario. It shouldn't be too difficult to pull off so I'm really going to be disappointed if they don't make something happen.

I wouldn't mind them taking Tua either. Let him sit under Stafford for a year then take the best offer for Stafford after the season.

The Lions aren't going to the Superbowl next year. It doesn't matter what Martha said. She had to say something like that to justify bringing back Patricia. If the Lions had half a brain they'd structure their team to create a competitive window starting in 2021.

Lions on a diet...cut Snacks.
I'm kind of surprised they cut him. When healthy, you can count the amount of better interior lineman on one hand. Probably was their best defensive player after Flowers.

Several teams should be trying to lock him up in the next week or so.

Between this, the Slay trade rumors, and the possibility of taking Tua, I'm starting to wonder if the Lions might just blow it up this offseason.

I'm kind of surprised they cut him. When healthy, you can count the amount of better interior lineman on one hand. Probably was their best defensive player after Flowers.

Several teams should be trying to lock him up in the next week or so.

Between this, the Slay trade rumors, and the possibility of taking Tua, I'm starting to wonder if the Lions might just blow it up this offseason.
Problem is they have been rebuilding since day one of the franchise. For a GM and Coach who “should” be on the hot seat this is a strange move. They just extended him (got rid of Diggs shortly after an extension as well) and now he is gone. They sure don’t seem like they have a direction or plan and just come off as blatantly incompetent. At this point I am no longer surprised and just expect the worst. This team has so many freaking holes...and once Slay is gone there will be another giant one to fill. Amazing how one of the least competitive teams in the league all of a sudden looks a lot worse. Every year my interest in the NFL gets lower....looking forward to the day that I no longer follow this joke of a team any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread