What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes, who goes? (5 Viewers)

I wish they were keeping Glasgow. Also, I could be wrong but $10 million a year seems to make him a top 10 paid RT based on annual pay. Hopefully there are some more details in the contract because that seems very high for a career backup. 

I wish they were keeping Glasgow. Also, I could be wrong but $10 million a year seems to make him a top 10 paid RT based on annual pay. Hopefully there are some more details in the contract because that seems very high for a career backup. 
Yeah, the thinking seems to be that he was a starter caliber player, he was just stuck behind Peters and Johnson. No reason to think he was, as he struggled whenever Peters was out. I'd have rather signed Peters personally. 

The o-line took 2 steps backward today in my opinion.

Dolphins had quite a day:

Byron Jones: 5 years, $82.5M
Kyle Van Noy: 4 years, $51M
Shaq Lawson: 3 years, $30M
Ereck Flowers: 3 years, $30M

Still $46M under the cap for 2020

For the #Lions and LB Jamie Collins, it’s a 3-year worth $30M, source said. The deal includes $18M fully guaranteed. A nice payday and a reunion with coach Matt Patricia.

--

Anyone know anything about him?

For the #Lions and LB Jamie Collins, it’s a 3-year worth $30M, source said. The deal includes $18M fully guaranteed. A nice payday and a reunion with coach Matt Patricia.

--

I think the concern in the past was bad attitude + great talent = ?

Dolphins had quite a day:

Byron Jones: 5 years, $82.5M
Kyle Van Noy: 4 years, $51M
Shaq Lawson: 3 years, $30M
Ereck Flowers: 3 years, $30M

Still $46M under the cap for 2020
I could be in the minority, but I think all 4 of those were bad signings. 

Lawson and Flowers are backup caliber guys. Jones and Van Noy are solid starters, but they aren't top players. 

I could be in the minority, but I think all 4 of those were bad signings. 

Lawson and Flowers are backup caliber guys. Jones and Van Noy are solid starters, but they aren't top players. 
All upgrades for the Dolphons...  and therefore perhaps the Lions.

--

Not a fan of that signing. Collins bombed in Cleveland. He was good in NE, but how many guys are good in NE and aren't when they leave, even when they go to Belichick disciples? The Patriots made zero effort to try and keep him.

Letting Glasgow go is totally unacceptable, I mean how often does a Scottish Detroit Lions fan have a player with the same name as their town of birth and residence ? Can’t believe I didn’t get a Glasgow jersey these last 4 odd years 

Browns sign Case Keenum to a 3 year deal for 6 a year.    Keenum would have been a perfect fit to backup Stafford.  A guy who could come in and actually win a game or 2.

For some reason the Lions refuse to bring in a decent backup QB.

Collins pick is fine IMO. He's been good when used in the Pats system. He's old but should be able to do 2 more solid years. It is a big upgrade- finally a versatile LB who can drop into coverage. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Collins another exPat. Reminds me of the Randy Smith GM years with the Tigers. Most signings for Tigers were SD Padre related and that didn't work out very well at all for the Tigers.

Overnight, the Lions signed former Bears DL Nick Williams. 2 years/$10mm,

No idea if he's any good.
30 years old, played for 4 teams, recorded his first career sack in 2019. That’s the negative. Positive is he had 6 sacks last year. He’s a rotational guy with limited experience for his age but it’s a small deal to add depth.

I wonder if any teams besides Ariz knew Hopkins was available. Giving them Slay and a 2nd or 3rd for Hopkins would have been a great move for the Lions.

A little surprising - 

#Lions are releasing LB Devon Kennard, source says. Bit of a surprise there. Team captain coming off back-to-back seven-sack seasons. Should have interest elsewhere.

The only ray of hope I have for these moves being part of a “plan” would be (1) Stafford’s back is worse than they are letting on and they are setting up to (2) tank for the Clemson kid. 

At this rate we will be rid of Patricia/Quinn by mid season. Unless Quinn can draft 4-5 quality starters this draft they will have less talent to work with than last season especially on the 2 lines. Next thing you know Lions will be signing Freeman.

TartanLion said:
Weird one. I thought Kennard had been decent for us 
Kennard was one of the better players on a bad defense.  Must not have "bought" into Matty-Pattys system.

Raging weasel said:
At this rate we will be rid of Patricia/Quinn by mid season. Unless Quinn can draft 4-5 quality starters this draft they will have less talent to work with than last season especially on the 2 lines. Next thing you know Lions will be signing Freeman.
At this rate, they have 3-4 more years probably. 

TartanLion said:
Weird one. I thought Kennard had been decent for us 
Quickly found a landing place with the Cards (3-yr/$20M.)

With the Trufant signing they’ll deal Slay next. Rumor is extend & then trade to Philly.

Lions traded for NE safety Duron Harmon. described as swap of late round picks.

Come on guys, be your own men. Franchise is turning into NE light.

Quickly found a landing place with the Cards (3-yr/$20M.)

With the Trufant signing they’ll deal Slay next. Rumor is extend & then trade to Philly.
If this team was anywhere near competing I would be upset about letting Slay go. However they should be in the running for the top overall pick next year so might as well get some value from Slay. I expect since the Lions have made it known that they have wanted to trade him that we will coup a late round pick. Worst organization in professional sports.

Lions traded for NE safety Duron Harmon. described as swap of late round picks.

Come on guys, be your own men. Franchise is turning into NE light.
This one puzzles me because by all accounts, this safety has been quite good. I know he only has 1 year left on his deal but I’m surprised the Pats moved him so cheaply.

Can we petition the team to install us as “gm board” and we figure out a plan and execute it? We’ve all said we can manage that team better, we know we can, fans have said it for years, so let us have a chance. Put our money where your mouth is, Martha. 
If it’s going to result in a poor product on the field, at least we can blame ourselves.

I think the team has an issue with the reputation of the GM and coach. Not for losing but for being a-holes. I really don’t think there’s a lot of love or respect for their culture or way of doing business.

This one puzzles me because by all accounts, this safety has been quite good. I know he only has 1 year left on his deal but I’m surprised the Pats moved him so cheaply.
Pats are not in a good spot salary cap-wise and this clears some space for them as they begin the post-TB era...Harmon is 29 and BB has a long history of letting players go a year early rather then a year late...also with Harmon, McCourty and Chung the Pats were getting too old at safety...while I hate the Collins move for you this is a good one...Harmon is a solid player who brings leadership qualities...he will help settle down the secondary and he has made a ton of big plays over the years...he is a good player to bring in as Detroit tries to establish an identity.

I didn’t see any posts in the Eagles thread lamenting his loss
It's tough to get a sense of how good/bad he was.  Apart from the 2017 run when Peters tore his ACL and he played fine as a replacement, he never really got a ton of regular playing time.  It was always spot starts or in game injury replacements.  To me it's a 50/50 proposition that he could be a good player or he could get exposed.  Until he gets consistent starter reps in practices and games, it's tough to guess.  

Now tell me about Darius Slay.  Rumor is the Eagles are working on a trade/extension with him.

I think the team has an issue with the reputation of the GM and coach. Not for losing but for being a-holes. I really don’t think there’s a lot of love or respect for their culture or way of doing business.
Guy in the freep agrees with you,

—  it makes you wonder how hard it is for the Lions to lure free agents with Patricia and Quinn in potential lame-duck years, and with enough disgruntled ex-Lions spread across the league that one agent told me this week one of those players was successfully scaring free agents away from Detroit

Guy in the freep agrees with you,

—  it makes you wonder how hard it is for the Lions to lure free agents with Patricia and Quinn in potential lame-duck years, and with enough disgruntled ex-Lions spread across the league that one agent told me this week one of those players was successfully scaring free agents away from Detroit
Diggs and Kennard were defensive captains as voted by the players and from all accounts were two of the most popular guys on the team. Moving them out isn’t something that likely sat well with the players. 

It's tough to get a sense of how good/bad he was.  Apart from the 2017 run when Peters tore his ACL and he played fine as a replacement, he never really got a ton of regular playing time.  It was always spot starts or in game injury replacements.  To me it's a 50/50 proposition that he could be a good player or he could get exposed.  Until he gets consistent starter reps in practices and games, it's tough to guess.  

Now tell me about Darius Slay.  Rumor is the Eagles are working on a trade/extension with him.
Great corner sliding into just good territory that is looking for a top CB contract.  There are other guys in here that will be upset if he goes, I'm not one of them.  Don't get me wrong, good CB are something every team needs, but he's primed to fall off a cliff soon and have a huge contract weighing down whatever franchise he's attached to.  I don't want that to be the Lions.

He didn’t have his best year last year. Wanted a new deal in camp, didn’t get it, hasn’t been a cancer or anything but he’s clearly feeling under appreciated.

For several long stretches in previous seasons, he was the best cover guy in the division. Not great against the run but his game is speed. When he’s happy the guy is an amazing teammate, keeps everyone loose and always has an opinion or quip for the media.

What I love about him is he has so much heart + talent he can take over a game, just absolutely carries his team by sheer force of will. That’s not something you can say about too many cornerbacks.

Two examples:

FF & INT in the last 3 minutes @ PHI

Ouch, sorry about that.

runs about 115 yards to chase down DJ Moore

Came from the opposite sideline. Game saver - Panthers backed themselves up after this play, missed the FG, and Lions came back late to steal an ugly win.

Pretty sure you can also find videos of him shutting down Larry Fitzgerald & AB. 

He’s probably not gonna return to elite because his game is predicated on being fast. He’s not a big, physical corner. But I could see him playing another 6-8 years if a team eventually moves him to slot corner or safety. But he’s looking for Fuller/Peterson/Rhodes money, so probably good the Lions - going nowhere fast - part ways with him now.

It's official,

The Lions will receive a third- and fifth-round pick in exchange for Slay, according to multiple reports, while the corner gets a three-year, $50 million extension from the Eagles, Rosenhaus said.

What wasn't even a thought a year ago quickly evolved from a possibility to a probability to a reality in a matter of months. Even after skipping out on last year's offseason program, including mandatory minicamp, while pushing for a new deal, rumblings Slay was on the block didn't truly pick up until after he publicly questioned management's decision to deal longtime teammate and friend Quandre Diggs.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/03/19/report-detroit-lions-trade-darius-slay-eagles/2872827001/

Users who are viewing this thread