What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes, who goes? (21 Viewers)

More Tua news from the Tua thread:

[The Athletic] 18 GM's were polled regarding Tua Tagovailoa's health. On a 1-10 scale of how concerned they were the average was 7.6/10. Key Quote: "I don’t want to put my whole franchise on a left-handed, beat-up, 6-foot quarterback. No thank you," said an AFC personnel man.

https://theathletic.com/1752494/2020/04/17/mcginns-nfl-draft-series-scouts-on-top-quarterbacks

I have to say that as a left-handed, beat-up, 6-foot non-quarterback I am not happy with this description.

Perhaps we have to hope for someone wanting Justin Hebert enough to move up. Rumored that Dolphins like him at # 5.

Recent mocks have Chase Young going to Skins.

Yep. He doesn't add anything to the Lions offense but it's nice to at least know if Marvin or Kenny get hurt that the Lions at least have a professional receiver to step in. Someone who won't be clueless. 
He's a filler for sure. Playing with Rodgers he didn't bloom. 

Anyone want to venture how many of the draft picks will be defensive players?  Hope they pick up a healthy RB with potential along the way. Kerryon doesn't seem he will be able to be healthy enough to be relied on.

Anyone want to venture how many of the draft picks will be defensive players?  Hope they pick up a healthy RB with potential along the way. Kerryon doesn't seem he will be able to be healthy enough to be relied on.
I would say about 2/3 defense. I could see a RB and/or WR,  just not very early.

I’ve been wondering if the negative chat coming back on Tua might actually help us. If Tua is seen as someone to give a wide berth to, does it not make it all the more important for one of these teams to make a move to secure themselves Herbert ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been wondering if the negative chat coming back on Tua might actually help us. If Tua is seen as someone to give a wide berth to, does it not make it all the more important for one of these teams to make a move to secure themselves Herbert ? 
I said the same thing somewhere awhile back. I don’t know how this is going to fall; it’s really one of the more exciting drafts imo- lots of good players, an early pick that may be a hot ticket item, potentially one of the best ffl classes, and all the smoke screens right now are fun to read. 
I hear SD is happy to stay put at 6 and let a qb fall to them. True or smoke? Teams are worried about Tua, true or smokescreen? There are bound to be surprises in the top 10, and I think we see some trades in the top 10 as well as teams maneuver to get those wrs before the 11 pick. Hope we can find a trade partner and move back this year, as I say every year. So many different ways they can go in this draft I don’t see how they screw it up unless we somehow trade down with NE, which, well, we can’t rule out.....

I said the same thing somewhere awhile back. I don’t know how this is going to fall; it’s really one of the more exciting drafts imo- lots of good players, an early pick that may be a hot ticket item, potentially one of the best ffl classes, and all the smoke screens right now are fun to read. 
I hear SD is happy to stay put at 6 and let a qb fall to them. True or smoke? Teams are worried about Tua, true or smokescreen? There are bound to be surprises in the top 10, and I think we see some trades in the top 10 as well as teams maneuver to get those wrs before the 11 pick. Hope we can find a trade partner and move back this year, as I say every year. So many different ways they can go in this draft I don’t see how they screw it up unless we somehow trade down with NE, which, well, we can’t rule out.....
Not to mention I think it was Rapapport came out yesterday and said that a few GMs he’d spoken to said that the media have got their player evaluations even more different to how teams are seeing than usual. So the top ten could really be chalk full of surprises 

Yes, the national media seemed to sour on Tua and is starting to build up Herbert. But it seems like they all expect Lions to go with a list something like this:

Young

J.O.

Simmons

Brown

I could see B.B. dumping a high salary vet on defense and pairing that guy with their late #1 and one of their #3s. Little Bobby might bite to try to save his job. 

This franchise sucks. Well, all the Detroit teams do right now.

I’ve been rewatching the 1968 WS this morning.

Gibson has dominated Games 1 & 4, the Tigers have committed 8 errors, and Lou Brock already has 7 steals. Down 3-1 going into the Sunday afternoon Game 5 at Tiger Stadium, looks like the Cardinals are about to win their 3rd world championship in five years.

IDK how a team can set a franchise record for wins (103) and play this badly. Freehan can’t throw anyone out, he’s made two errors, Cards are running wild on him, McClain (31 game winner) looks like a bum compared to the Cardinals ace, Horton, Northrup, & Stanley are a combined 6-44. Only Kaline is hitting. It’s embarrassing.

At least the Lions are playing good. Joe Schmidt is in his second year. They had both rookies of the year last year (Mel Farr & Lem Barney), then took the first QB in the draft, Greg Landry. Oh, and that 3rd round TE (Charlie Sanders) looks great. Clearly on the upswing, one of the best young teams in football, great young coach. I know it’s been over ten years, but come on, they could make a run.They're due.

After getting curb stomped in Dallas - the rookie threw 4 interceptions and lost his starting job - they beat Chicago 42-0 and upset the Packers. In Lambeau! Green Bay has won the last three titles but Lombardi retired.

Anyone know what they’re calling that new thing? First year it was the NFL-AFL Championship Game and then this year Lamar Hunt started calling it the Super Bowl. Guess he thought of that after his granddaughters was playing with a toy called the superball. Just weird, and what does that guy know? Doubt the merger thing ever happens, the AFL is a joke. 

Anyway, had to flip the two Viking games (October 6 & the November contest) since the clown baseball team needs to finish blowing it. Minnesota has never won anything and just traded their best player (Tarkenton) to the Giants, Bears are terrible again, the Pack are old. This might be their year, guys. This might be OUR year.

Dang it Bobby! I sure hope we are wrong, it’s the only scenario where I’ll be extremely disappointed...well we’re lions fans, of course we’ll be disappointed eventually, but I mean with the draft...
Sorry to upset you Hank. If it makes it any better BB has never drafted a QB higher than round 2, with the average being late 4th round.

Yes, the national media seemed to sour on Tua and is starting to build up Herbert. But it seems like they all expect Lions to go with a list something like this:

Young

J.O.

Simmons

Brown
I'd be happy.  Add a couple OL to the list and I would be more happy.

eta - I've been waiting 33 years for a good (I gave up on great) OL.

Glad to hear the rumors of trading Stafford were just rumors.

Barry and Calvin retiring didn't do it.  0-16 didnt do it.  This would have been the straw.

Lions were developing a very good offensive line in early 90s. But that's when Mike Utley was paralyzed during the 91 season and Eric Andolsek was killed in 1992 during  the offseason. A freak accident when a truck ran off the road while he was working in the yard. The Lions only playoff win was after the 91 season vs Dallas.

Tristan Wirfs looks like a solid OT.

"he had a higher vertical than two of the top wideouts in this class -- Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb"

Lions were developing a very good offensive line in early 90s. But that's when Mike Utley was paralyzed during the 91 season and Eric Andolsek was killed in 1992 during  the offseason. A freak accident when a truck ran off the road while he was working in the yard. The Lions only playoff win was after the 91 season vs Dallas.
I wasn’t even aware of that till now, but that sounds like the most Lions-esque thing I’ve ever heard 

I wasn’t even aware of that till now, but that sounds like the most Lions-esque thing I’ve ever heard 
That and having the only player to ever die on an NFL field (Chuck Hughes, WR.)

Guy was walking back to the huddle after a dropped TD pass by another Lion, collapsed on the 20 at Tiger Stadium with 1:02 left. He was having convulsions, **** Butkus was nearest to him and waving frantically. Turned out he had 75% blockage in an artery. Heart attack.

Few years later their HC died the week TC was supposed to start while mowing his yard. Also a heart attack. Guy had won a Super Bowl in Baltimore, lasted one year in Detroit.

The Ford family has hired 15 head coaches and appointed two interims (plus the HC they retained after buying the team the morning JFK was assassinated.)

• George Wilson - the Fords inherited the last man to win an NFL championship in Detroit. Lasted one full season under WCF, coached the Dolphins 1966-69.

• 7 of the next 8 head coaches never worked again after being the Lions HC. Never, ever, anywhere. The Lions average 6.625 wins 1965-1996. Monte Clark was an assistant for one year in Miami after 7 miserable years in the Silverdome.

• The Fords longest serving coach, Wayne Fontes, was in interim for 5 games and HC for 8 seasons. His 66 wins and 67 losses are franchise records. 1-4 in the playoffs. One of two head coaches Barry Sanders played under.

• Bobby Ross (27-30 with 2 WC losses 1997-2000) coached at Army but never again in the NFL.

• Gary Moeller (4-3 as an interim) never got a HC gig but did land a couple assistant jobs. Only the 2nd Ford HC with a winning record. The first one (HoFer Joe Schmidt) quit out of frustration after 6 years. 

• Mornhinweg (5-27) - assistant but never again a HC.

• Marinucci (15-28) went into broadcasting.

• Interim Coach **** Jauron (1-4) went on to miss the playoffs for three years in Buffalo.

• Marinelli (10-38), Schwartz (29-51, 1 WC loss) and Caldwell (36-28, 2 WC losses) were all assistants again but never hired as a HC after leaving Detroit. At .563 Coach Jim is the winningest HC of the WCF/MFF regime.

• Patricia (9-22-1) is not even the worst HC of the Ford family era. His .297 win percentage is 15th amongst the 18 who have shuffled the sideline under the worst owners in the NFL.

Through the years in Downtown, Pontiac, Cranbrook, Allen Park - the one constant has been the family. They’re nice people IMO. I really liked Bill Jr. But they just cannot ever get it right.

So if miracle were to ever happen and the Lions made it to a Super Bowl in our lifetime, who here would spend the big money to attend? 

So if miracle were to ever happen and the Lions made it to a Super Bowl in our lifetime, who here would spend the big money to attend? 
Honestly, I’d probably just fly over to Detroit for a weeks worth of drinking and hit up some of the spots I’ve been to before - Old Shilellegh, Grand Trunk Bar, Sweetwater Tavern, Jacoby’s and a few other places. Comet Bar was another great place I went to but I believe it was demolished and the new Red Wings/Pistons arena is in its place. I’m sure downtown has changed a fair bit since I was last there in 2011/12

Honestly, I’d probably just fly over to Detroit for a weeks worth of drinking and hit up some of the spots I’ve been to before - Old Shilellegh, Grand Trunk Bar, Sweetwater Tavern, Jacoby’s and a few other places. Comet Bar was another great place I went to but I believe it was demolished and the new Red Wings/Pistons arena is in its place. I’m sure downtown has changed a fair bit since I was last there in 2011/12
It has and for the better...at least had, this pandemic is a major issue

Saw a # of ESPN's "Catching the Draft" episodes this weekend. Lot of fun going over the drama, mishaps of the year's draft that they covered. One of the years was when Millen drafted Mike Williams as the 3rd first round WR in a row.  They interviewed Mariucci who was coach at the time. He said that the team was going to draft Demarcus Ware but Millen changed his mind at the last minute when the pick came up. Millen's son was interviewed and he said Oh No! when the pick was announced as he thought the pick was going to be Ware.

I remember Mel Kiper pumping up so hard on Williams and Detroit fans going WTF.

Also attached is an article about how the Lions are a high character organization based on how they draft and the low # of off field issues. So something you can give Quinn credit for.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/20/bob-quinn-leads-lions-to-lowest-number-of-off-the-field-issues-in-nfl/

Saw a # of ESPN's "Catching the Draft" episodes this weekend. Lot of fun going over the drama, mishaps of the year's draft that they covered. One of the years was when Millen drafted Mike Williams as the 3rd first round WR in a row.  They interviewed Mariucci who was coach at the time. He said that the team was going to draft Demarcus Ware but Millen changed his mind at the last minute when the pick came up. Millen's son was interviewed and he said Oh No! when the pick was announced as he thought the pick was going to be Ware.

I remember Mel Kiper pumping up so hard on Williams and Detroit fans going WTF.

Also attached is an article about how the Lions are a high character organization based on how they draft and the low # of off field issues. So something you can give Quinn credit for.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/20/bob-quinn-leads-lions-to-lowest-number-of-off-the-field-issues-in-nfl/
Mike Williams caught 2 TDs with Detroit and Ware went to 9 Pro Bowls. I think Millen messed that one up.

Lions typical luck means no one will be willing to move up for a QB this year. Direction seems to be the QBs will drop or teams will wait till their turn (dolphins/chargers)

Maybe just smokescreens but since its the Lions probably not.

Lions typical luck means no one will be willing to move up for a QB this year. Direction seems to be the QBs will drop or teams will wait till their turn (dolphins/chargers)

Yep and then they make a boring pick like Derrick Brown who becomes a solid run stopper but doesn't do much against the pass and has the value of a 3rd round pick. 

I don't think it's luck. Just a matter of price.

IMO if you're the Dolphins/Chargers/Jags GM...and you actually like Herbert/Tua...there's no way you don't make a significant offer to the Lions. It's irresponsible not to.

Can't see one of those teams crossing their fingers "hoping" the QB they want falls to their draft slot. QB is too important. You go and get them. It's only if the Lions' asking price is way too exorbitant that you roll the dice.

I don't think it's luck. Just a matter of price.

IMO if you're the Dolphins/Chargers/Jags GM...and you actually like Herbert/Tua...there's no way you don't make a significant offer to the Lions. It's irresponsible not to.

Can't see one of those teams crossing their fingers "hoping" the QB they want falls to their draft slot. QB is too important. You go and get them. It's only if the Lions' asking price is way too exorbitant that you roll the dice.
Lions IMO are in a position to accept almost any kind of trade back from Miami or LA. Even if all they can squeeze out is an extra 2nd, it's worth it IMO.

Or a bust QB.
They aren't taking a QB. 

A) They have to win NOW or they lose their jobs so they will look for an immediate impact player, not a rookie to develop or a QB controversy or a redundant asset

B) With the potential of no offseason, rookie QBs might not be ready at the start of the year

C) Quinn likes to take the most boring pick possible, a QB would be too exciting 

I would just buy the biggest tv available at that time (200 inches?) and invite everyone I know. Even if they lose, I still have the tv.

Lions IMO are in a position to accept almost any kind of trade back from Miami or LA. Even if all they can squeeze out is an extra 2nd, it's worth it IMO.
Agreed. Since both Herbert/Tua* appear franchise caliber that's why IMO it's extremely high likelihood a trade goes down. 

*risk adjusting for injury concerns

They aren't taking a QB. 

A) They have to win NOW or they lose their jobs so they will look for an immediate impact player, not a rookie to develop or a QB controversy or a redundant asset

B) With the potential of no offseason, rookie QBs might not be ready at the start of the year

C) Quinn likes to take the most boring pick possible, a QB would be too exciting 
Jeff Ohkuda is good but will he have an impact?  There have been some mocks where he falls out of top 10 if Lions don`t take him.  CJ Henderson is on the rise.   I just hope Quinn does not lock in on a DB at 3.

Jeff Ohkuda is good but will he have an impact?  There have been some mocks where he falls out of top 10 if Lions don`t take him.  CJ Henderson is on the rise.   I just hope Quinn does not lock in on a DB at 3.
I don't think he falls past Carolina. They might not have a starting caliber CB on their team and they have to deal with Evans, Godwin, Julio, Ridley, Michael Thomas, Brees, Brady and Ryan. Does Okudah make an immediate impact for the Lions? Maybe- every year there are CBs who play very well as rookies. The Lions need help there, it was the worst pass defense in the NFL last year. If they don't fix that, Quinn and Patricia won't be in Detroit for 2021. 

I don't think he falls past Carolina. They might not have a starting caliber CB on their team and they have to deal with Evans, Godwin, Julio, Ridley, Michael Thomas, Brees, Brady and Ryan. Does Okudah make an immediate impact for the Lions? Maybe- every year there are CBs who play very well as rookies. The Lions need help there, it was the worst pass defense in the NFL last year. If they don't fix that, Quinn and Patricia won't be in Detroit for 2021. 
It was the worst pass defense in the NFL with perhaps the best CB in the NFL... food for thought.  And they did get Trufant.. not bad at all imo.

Ilov80s said:
If a trade back, hopefully there will be a perception whether real or created of there being a bidding war to get a QB early.

So we can get more picks and then we can fill our many needs on defense and get an OL as well. Plus RB and WR depth. Not asking for much am I?

But as a Lion fan I'm ready to be disappointed again when Lions settle as was mentioned before for Derrick Brown. 

Users who are viewing this thread