What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 0-0: Who comes, who goes? (31 Viewers)

Miami & New York Trading Up?

“The Detroit Lions, who hold the No. 3 overall pick in Thursday’s NFL draft, have made plans to actually draft at either No. 4 or No. 5 overall, according to an NFL source familiar with the team’s thinking.

The Lions have a degree of confidence they will be able to trade their pick to either the New York Giants or Miami Dolphins at some point either before the draft or while they’re on the clock.”

Just trying to make the pick more enticing?
Please make it so.

Because Matt Patricia has a very specific defense that doesn't match what most of the NFL does. So to his scheme, Tavai was very valuable. They said he was probably the only player in the draft who could fill the role. Now this might speak to how awful the system is. When draftniks rank the players, they have to rank them generically. For example their is DT from Auburn named Marlon Davidson who isn't a very hot name but is likely a lot higher on the Pats, Lions and Fins draft boards than anyone else. He is a perfect fit for their scheme and not so much with other teams. So his value changes depending where he lands. 
I read recently that Patricia values coverage over pass rush. That's backward IMO. I was thinking that they went to focus on coverage because of lack of pass rush.

I cringed so many times when the Lions went to three man rushes in crucial situations.

Regarding Tavai you need to have the balls to let him drop some before you pick him. I think Tavai was slotted for the 4th-5th round by other teams. A second rounder shouldn't be burned on a player that only you had ranked that high.
Oh I agree, was an awful value 

I read recently that Patricia values coverage over pass rush. That's backward IMO. I was thinking that they went to focus on coverage because of lack of pass rush.

I cringed so many times when the Lions went to three man rushes in crucial situations.
I’m not sure about that. They have made the DL a major priority in the Quinn-Patricia era. They just like bigger guys like Flowers not athletic bendy guys like Burns or Landry. The LBs drafted have been total zeroes for pass coverage. Pass rush might be the only good thing Davis does. 

The Pats definitely value pass coverage over pass rush. PFF and some other studies have also come to the conclusion coverage is more important than pass rush. I think the idea is QBs can overcome a good pass rush rush with quick throws but coverage can take away quick throws and get even a subpar DL more time to rush.

Both are really important but my biggest issue with Patricia and Quinn is that they like size so much more than athleticism which is crazy imo. The Lions are woefully unathletic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I agree, was an awful value 

I’m not sure about that. They have made the DL a major priority in the Quinn-Patricia era. They just like bigger guys like Flowers not athletic bendy guys like Burns or Landry. The LBs drafted have been total zeroes for pass coverage. Pass rush might be the only good thing Davis does. 

The Pats definitely value pass coverage over pass rush. PFF and some other studies have also come to the conclusion coverage is more important than pass rush. I think the idea is QBs can overcome a good pass rush rush with quick throws but coverage can take away quick throws and get even a subpar DL more time to rush.

Both are really important but my biggest issue with Patricia and Quinn is that they like size so much more than athleticism which is crazy imo. The Lions are woefully unathletic.
Appreciate your thoughts on this. If the focus on coverage hurts the quick throw dumps I'm in favor. The worst thing about the game now is the 4-5 yard dump pass.

Appreciate your thoughts on this. If the focus on coverage hurts the quick throw dumps I'm in favor. The worst thing about the game now is the 4-5 yard dump pass.
I saw an interview with Bosa (Chargers one). He said the game against the Pats was the best game the DL played all year, they were beating their guys every play. Yet they got whooped in the game because Brady threw the ball in 2 seconds every play so it didn’t even matter. 

I saw an interview with Bosa (Chargers one). He said the game against the Pats was the best game the DL played all year, they were beating their guys every play. Yet they got whooped in the game because Brady threw the ball in 2 seconds every play so it didn’t even matter. 
Wow  

I think that was travdogg talking about the playoff game LAC/NEP played two years ago when the Patriots just ate apart the Chargers' nickel and dime zone like it was nothing. They interviewed Bosa afterwards and he said the line played good but had no time to get to the QB even though they were beating their man.

But the general point is that Belichick and his adherents believe that defense starts with coverage first.

I'd disagree and say defense is like calories and intake and weight, but that's an argument that'll get this place shut down in ten seconds when people start talking about ketosis.

Yep. It always shocks me when these owners or GMs hire a coach and build a roster for a 3-4 defense and two years later, hire another coach who wants to go back to a 4-3. Seems like senseless waste.
Amen!

This  is why the good teams stay good, and the bad teams stay bad.  The good teams get a system that works and stick with it. The bad teams are constantly trying new schemes, hiring people that totally change the team's personnel needs.  They're bad for a few years "until they get their guys," but then they're still bad, they get fired, and hire a new guy to start over again.

This franchise SUCKS!  They will never improve because they are all idiots, and it all starts with the owners!  Fire the Fords!

Can’t wait until they fire Quinn and Patricia after this season and we get to start all over...and spend the next 4 seasons replacing Patricia’s guys with real players.

Can’t wait until they fire Quinn and Patricia after this season and we get to start all over...and spend the next 4 seasons replacing Patricia’s guys with real players.
We should start taking bets what franchise the next HC comes from, and how many players from that team Detroit has in 2 years.

They let TWO QB needy teams stand pat and get their guys.  Because they telegraphed their moves all off-season.  They couldn't sell water to someone dying of thirst in the desert!

I would honestly like to have Quinn and Patricia running a team in my fantasy leagues RIGHT NOW, because even with the inside information they potentially have access to, I don't think they would win the league.  They are THAT bad!

Now, I'm expecting them to trade back into the end of the first round, give up too much, and then draft a fourth round talent that "is a perfect fit for Patricia's defensive scheme."

Last edited by a moderator:
How hard would it have been to take the OT and take back leverage?
Or take the QB.  It's a QB driven league, and of course everyone will pretend they don't like the QBs, until there are none left.  These guys are idiots.  Instead of driving the price up all off-season, they did the opposite.  Assuring everyone that they weren't going to trade Stafford.  This whole franchise continues to be cursed.  Cursed by having idiot owners.

If Miami or SD offered their 5th and or 6th and a second or third it would have been well worth it. They still would have got Ohkuda.

Quinn probably said that is not enough.    So the Matty-Patty runs Slay out of town for a third, and replaces him with #3 overall. One step forward two steps back.

John Lynch is putting on a GM clinic right now.  Bob Quinn is just overmatched as a GM.

They let TWO QB needy teams stand pat and get their guys.  Because they telegraphed their moves all off-season.  They couldn't sell water to someone dying of thirst in the desert!
First 4 teams all telegraphed their picks (probably why they finished bottom 4),  so Miami & LA said why bother giving up anything.

If Miami or SD offered their 5th and or 6th and a second or third it would have been well worth it. They still would have got Ohkuda.

Quinn probably said that is not enough.    So the Matty-Patty runs Slay out of town for a third, and replaces him with #3 overall. One step forward two steps back.

John Lynch is putting on a GM clinic right now.  Bob Quinn is just overmatched as a GM.
yes they telegraphed the pick when they traded Slay. I like Ohkuda. He does remind me a little bit of Charles Woodson but not at the same level. 

All they had to do was not quash the rumors about drafting Tua, but no, let’s not piss off Matt and Kelly. You couldn’t call Matt and say “hey Matt you are our guy but you’re going to hear some rumors...just sit tight...we have a plan to help us win with you.” 

This regime literally creates a void and then forces themselves to fill the void. 

Yes. Shame we couldn't have done more with #3. Waiting to hear if there any trade offers that were made to us.
Schefter said he thought a deal was going to get done, but they just couldn't agree on compensation.  So in other words, rather than taking what they could get and trading down, they got nothing and stayed.  I expected as much.

There are some good RBs available which is tempting but hopefully Lions will still go defense tomorrow and pick up a RB later in draft.

A.J. Epenesa of Iowa still on the board as well as Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State.
I have to imagine those guys are high on the Lions board. There's also a DE/DT Marlon Davidson from Auburn who everyone seems to say is destined for the Lions, Pats or Fins because he is the perfect fit for that scheme. 

Users who are viewing this thread