What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (32 Viewers)

If you are a Lions fan, you end up being a pessimist. Quinn says no one made an offer for the first but wonder if he did?
Part of the problem may have been TUAs health history.  If he had never been hurt as many times and the last one being very serious the market might have been better.

Snorkelson said:
Want them to trade back in rd 1, we pick. Want them to now pick in rd 2 with all the talent available, and watch them trade back. 
I think the fact that there is so much talent still available, trading back isn't a bad idea.  As long as they don't go RB (except maybe later 3rd rounder) I'm ok with pretty much anything.  Some high quality DL, OL, and Safeties available right now.

I think the fact that there is so much talent still available, trading back isn't a bad idea.  As long as they don't go RB (except maybe later 3rd rounder) I'm ok with pretty much anything.  Some high quality DL, OL, and Safeties available right now.
Until they trade up 2 picks to draft a TE.

Yeah, no QB/RB/WR/TE/P/K will be a good start with this next pick.
Let’s add long snapper to that list.

While not places of need the Rb/wr talent available is acceptable. I think/hope we can get a solid contributor later at rb as well, but if we took one of the top 3 I’d shrug and say “ok then, here we go!”

Let’s add long snapper to that list.

While not places of need the Rb/wr talent available is acceptable. I think/hope we can get a solid contributor later at rb as well, but if we took one of the top 3 I’d shrug and say “ok then, here we go!”
I agree. Honestly if they took an RB it would at least add a little excitement. I am very high on Taylor as a runner and wouldn’t mind seeing him toting the rock in blue. I would be disappointed with a receiver with this pick as I am not overly high on anyone enough to burn a near first rounder on.

I agree. Honestly if they took an RB it would at least add a little excitement. I am very high on Taylor as a runner and wouldn’t mind seeing him toting the rock in blue. I would be disappointed with a receiver with this pick as I am not overly high on anyone enough to burn a near first rounder on.
Mims would be the guy, otherwise I’m fine waiting til later- I want a wr in this draft though, it’s loaded.

Leroy Hoard said:
Defense - OG rounds 2-3 for me.
Not paying close attention this week but I’m always in favor of the inside-out build when constructing the roster 

Skill position talent has rarely been the issue for Detroit

Great O-line play or generating pressure without blitzing...perennial problems 

FWIW like the Okudah pick, it was always the best choice for them if they couldn’t get Chase Young

Please no RB in round 2. D lineman here and O Lineman in the 3rd. 
I agree, just saying at least if they go that route it isn’t some huge reach, and as KOTJ said, it would add some excitement. But I agree, I’d rather see the pick used elsewhere.

I have no issues with Kerryon and Bo moving forward. This team needs O line and a lot of defense. 
I have a huge problem with it. I don't think you can have a run first team (which the philosophy they want) with these 2 guys. However, I think the pick needs to be 3rd-4th round. 

I have a huge problem with it. I don't think you can have a run first team (which the philosophy they want) with these 2 guys. However, I think the pick needs to be 3rd-4th round. 
Seems like plenty of serviceable backs can be found on day three.

Of course I’m looking around at other teams besides the Lions, so for now it’s just a working theory.

Not paying close attention this week but I’m always in favor of the inside-out build when constructing the roster 

Skill position talent has rarely been the issue for Detroit

Great O-line play or generating pressure without blitzing...perennial problems 

FWIW like the Okudah pick, it was always the best choice for them if they couldn’t get Chase Young
Exactly. But you would think it was another TE pick the way people are reacting.

Here’s a roundup of Day 2 mock drafts:

Steve Muench, Scouts Inc.

A.J. Epensensa, DE, Iowa -- “Adding corner Jeff Okudah in the first round and Epenesa here could go a long way to improving a Detroit defense that regressed last year. While Epenesa isn’t an explosive pass-rusher, he knows how to get to the quarterback and he’d be a good complement to Trey Flowers.”

Chris Trapasso, CBSSports.com

Marlon Davidson, DL, Auburn -- “I could see Matt Patricia being into what the versatile Davidson will bring as a college defensive end who’s bulked up to play inside.”

Kevin Hanson, SI.com

35. Ross Blacklock, DL, TCU -- “Often utilized in a two-gap role at TCU, Blacklock displays impressive burst and lateral agility to be a disruptive one-gap penetrator at the next level. His pass-rushing upside makes him an intriguing option at the top of Round 2.”

67. Curtis Weaver, EDGE, Boise State

85. Zack Moss, RB, Utah

Nate Davis, USA Today

Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU -- “This defense still needs playmakers up front and could especially use an explosive athlete who could help Trey Flowers hunt quarterbacks.”

Kristopher Knox, Bleacher Report

35. Detroit Lions: Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU

Walter Cherepinsky, Walterfootball.com

Johnathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin -- Kerryon Johnson hasn’t been able to stay healthy, so I expect Detroit to target a running back in the opening half of the 2020 NFL Draft. Jonathan Taylor showed surprising athleticism at the combine, which helped mitigate some of the concerns teams have with the workload he handled at Wisconsin.

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News

Marlon Davidson, DL, Auburn -- “After landing Jeff Okudah for their secondary in Round 1, the Lions should turn their attention to reconstructing their defensive front to better support Trey Flowers. Davidson (6-3, 303 pounds) can be a terror rushing the passer from both the interior and the edge. He has a nice blend of strength, power and quickness to go along with sudden finishing move.”

Matt Miller, Bleacher Report

35. Ross Blacklock, DL, TCU

67. Grant Delpit, S, LSU

85. Lynn Bowden, WR, Kentucky

It seems like there is more depth at more positions this year. A lot of highly paid NFL vets could soon end up on the cutting floor.

Odd pick, but not exactly a bum.

(5’8/212) averaged 7.8 yards per touch behind Nick Chubb and Sony Michel as a true freshmen at Georgia, then rushed for over 1,000 yards and seven touchdowns in each of his last two seasons as the team's starter. His combination of vision, patience, and 63rd-percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism made him an efficient runner as he averaged 6.6 YPC on 440 career totes. Per Pro Football Focus, he also led his class in rate of 10-plus yard gains (20%) in his final year. The Bulldogs catered to Swift's strength as a receiver, moving him all over the formation (including out wide) to assure him space to work. PFF charged him with only three dropped targets across 73 career receptions (and 9.1 yards per catch). His versatile skill set ultimately plays in any offense, making him another Georgia runner expected to produce immediately at the next level. Expect a committee of sorts between Swift and Kerryon Johnson.

Apr 24, 2020, 7:24 PM ET

D'ANDRE SWIFTRB, GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranks Georgia RB D'Andre Swift as the top player available for the remainder of the 2020 draft.

Miller ranked Swift 15th overall, and is easily the top player in his eyes still available in the class, at least when you consider who else is left. Next up is Penn State EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos at 21, followed by Alabama safety Xavier McKinney (22), Iowa EDGE A.J. Epenesa (23) and Clemson wide receiver Tee Higgins (28) rounding out the top five. Swift could be the first running back off the board on Friday, with teams like the Dolphins, Buccaneers and  Lions also considering tailbacks early. 

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Yeah. I mean they needed an RB, without question. Kerryon is not built to carry the full load.

The offense was good last year with Stafford. It's not out of the question to believe it could be very good this year with that 1-2 punch. I don't hate the pick.

Lions couldn't resist the shiniest bauble in the box. On the Swift individual thread there's some negative PFF stats regarding his elusiveness but a general ok about him.

Some division on him. 

Yeah. I mean they needed an RB, without question. Kerryon is not built to carry the full load.

The offense was good last year with Stafford. It's not out of the question to believe it could be very good this year with that 1-2 punch. I don't hate the pick.
Am I just overrating Scarborough? I thought he looked pretty darn good last year.

He's way better than Kerryon so it does address a need but there are just so many holes on this team. 
Do you think the offense could be top ten? There are still issues at guard as well. If they can get lucky and hit on an o-lineman at some point I like the offense a lot.

Do you think the offense could be top ten? There are still issues at guard as well. If they can get lucky and hit on an o-lineman at some point I like the offense a lot.
No need to hit on anything. We just paid $40mm for a backup right tackle. What could go wrong?

They need another guard or a tackle that can move inside. OL is a perennial problem with this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I just overrating Scarborough? I thought he looked pretty darn good last year.
I thought he was very serviceable.  4.2 a carry in Lion attire.

Swift was the top RB on the board and is a good receiver too.  So it seems like a good pick on paper.

This is where not trading down and getting an extra pick in the second really hurt.  Could have had any RB and another quality player. Second rd is loaded this year.

Quinn said Miami or SD never called and offered anything, I heard on the radio Miami said Detroit never called either.

I thought he was very serviceable.  4.2 a carry in Lion attire.

Swift was the top RB on the board and is a good receiver too.  So it seems like a good pick on paper.

This is where not trading down and getting an extra pick in the second really hurt.  Could have had any RB and another quality player. Second rd is loaded this year.

Quinn said Miami or SD never called and offered anything, I heard on the radio Miami said Detroit never called either.
I still think they should've drafted Tua and called Miami's bluff.

Twitter - Texans had a deal with Detroit for the 90th pick but Lions backed out at last instant and Bill O’Brien was furious. You could tell by his reaction on TV. They selected OLB Jonathan Greenard with their pick.

Users who are viewing this thread